How can i develop deeper understanding of art? Whether it's cinema or books...

How can i develop deeper understanding of art? Whether it's cinema or books, I only get the themes that is deliberately explained, chewed up and putted into my mouth. It's like i can only see the outer layer and can't fully appreciate the idea that author putted in his work. Take the sopranos for example. There is so much interesting stuff going on, that i didn't get, but i read about it in threads here. Or Naked Lunch. It has good visuals, but i didn't get anything from that movie apart from that. Is there a cure from being such a pleb?

Other urls found in this thread:

public-library.uk/ebooks/55/76.pdf
bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/critics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Experience life.

Pay for a proper education.

You have to study art or literature to get it.

Read this public-library.uk/ebooks/55/76.pdf

This post was art. So is this reply. Someone will screen cap this interaction and sell it for $100,000 now.

understanding art is not understanding it, but pretending that you do.

>How can i develop deeper understanding of art?
user its a question of exposure to the art form, a general knowledge of history and technique. The rest is just learning how to make connections between things.

>>i wuz too poors for schoolings so i believe shit like ayn rand

art sucks

>he studied art

this, sadly. more you have experiences in life, more you can appreciate the art and actually develop understanding of it.

>>i was too poor even for a class in semiotics

people who are smart enough to study art are poor?

is that what you keep telling your self when you work as a shift manager in McDonalds?

Most of the art house shit is the emperor's new clothes, my man.

>>I had to google semiotics

poorfag. enjoy working for a living. lolz.

i'm sure you are making huge money with your education

Anyone who wastes money on a class like that is a fucking imbecile. Might as well have a women's study degree lmao

Even then, someone should still have an understanding.
I've never experienced being a participant in war yet through various forms of media, I have a very basic understanding of what it would have been like.
You might just be autistic OP.

I googled it, no shame.

I'll be honest I'm probably about average at it but its mostly just practice, research and paying attention.

After you watch a film or whatever look up some analysis on it and see what people are saying about it, what you thought about it and what to look for.

People often ask me to recommend films or tell them how to 'get into' films.

To be honest it is hard work, in a way people underestimate.

You have to seek out films for knowledge and not enjoyment, which is a difficult thing to do. You have to view films with goals. You need to focus on specific topics and resolve to watch everything, even if its not good or not even in the first rank of significance.

You need to plan what you watch strategically to fill gaps and bridge topics, and you have to use history & research of film as your help. You also have to watch everyday and you cant draw director's or movements filmographies out for months, you have to get through things more quickly.

Also there wont be short term gains, you may have to expose yourself to art of kind for a year or two before you can really feel yourself developing critical sense. Saying all that however Id recommend starting with a broad base of films to just expose yourself.

bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/critics

Eventually you will start to develop interests of your own and you can choose things you want to focus in on.

My main interest is theory of the film, desu, I'm mainly interested in narratives, and how we use them to conceptualize our lives. This has drawn me into philosophy and aesthetics and into history as I try to understand different films from every possible angle. Completeness is the thing I aim for most, you want to use all tools at your disposal, you need to develop a complete picture.

Think of your synthetic understanding of a body of knowledge as a painting you are creating before your minds eye. Each film (or any art) you experience is a brushstroke, you create your understanding artistically as something you represent to yourself.

Whenever you finish a film spend time reflecting on how it fits in to what you already know and then ask what your painting is missing. This is pretty sober and common sensical advice, but people ask me all the time. I would just say be deliberate and methodical. There are more films than you can watch in a lifetime, so you have try to be efficient and deliberate with your journey.

You will eventually surprise yourself when you look back at how much you can accomplish, but you cant dick around too much. The more I watch the more I realize I still need to watch, its a never ending process and you have to find your own motivation. No 1 film will ever give you a complete picture, understanding is referential, the more references you have the more judgments you can make.

This sounds like a proper solution to my problem, thanks.

>My main interest is theory of the film, desu, I'm mainly interested in narratives
>theory of the film
>narrative

That's a bit sad my dear friend.
Film is a visual medium, narrative is just one element of a whole.

Also movies are not puzzles which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to "get" them.

You can tell the narrative visually as is the proper way of cinema. Something like Terrence Malick captures what I seek out in Knight of Cups. Also Resnais in Muriel.

Okay now we agree completely.

You just have to make sure to say visual narrative because by just saying "narrative" most people on this board mean literal plot points and actions, not the narrative represented by the framing, composition, performances etc.

Tho I would tell you to ease up on the dissecting of movies after watching and overanalyzing, cinema is more about the actual viewing experience than reflecting on it.

Take the time to absorb it. It doesn't matter your answer, just that you have one.

Read psychology if you want to understand film.