How the hell can boxers take all those shots without getting KO'd...

How the hell can boxers take all those shots without getting KO'd? Whenever I watch boxing I see guys taking two or three, sometimes even more clean shots right on the jaw (delivered by someone who does nothing but practicing to punch) and they still manage to keep fighting and stand up. Is it genetic? Or is it just that your brain gets used to getting hit?

Other urls found in this thread:

link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02477111
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Genetics, neck muscle training, bracing for impact, rolling with punches.

This, and I think it's the final two that are the key difference between boxers and mixed martial artists. When I look at Conor's KOs, all of his opponents took the full brunt of the punches. Paulie Malignaggi could knock people unconscious in such circumstances

By the time they've fought the first pro fight they've probably already take 1,000 shots to the head.

They're used to it.

That's not how it works bruh, it's the opposite. Chuck Liddell explained it once. He said his chin used to be something he used as part of his arsenal, but eventually it just eroded to the point where if you slightly tapped it he would get wobbly

>neck muscle training, bracing for impact
Neither helps. There are studies about this, you know?

> For every one pound increase in neck strength, odds of concussion decreased by 5 % (OR = 0.95, 95 % CI 0.92-0.98). We conclude that identifying differences in overall neck strength may be useful in developing a screening tool to determine which high school athletes are at higher risk of concussion. Once identified, these athletes could be targeted for concussion prevention programs.
hurry durry

Do you honestly think that stiffing your neck and traps bracing for impact has little to none effect as opposed to letting it loose and floppy?

>gloves

Into the trash it goes

its a million different factors at the actual fight speed.
thats why there are lucky punches.
mainly its neck muscles, and seeing the punch coming.
if you can see the punch coming or prepare for the one you dont see coming and brace for it you can eat it.
you dont see the punch coming, your brain and CNS doesnt have a few miliseconds of reaction time, doesnt matter how much heat is on it. it snaps the neck and triggers the reaction.

then again there are just fucking genetic monsters with cinder block heads heads that can take monster shots on the button all fucking day.
>the honest answer is you find out over your career if you can take shots or not. genetics, training, whatever.
I mean dudes have absolutely been KO'd on their feet and fought to survive and shook it off.
my theory is its all if you see it coming or not. not the power behind it and how braced you are for the ones you dont see coming.

By "bracing" I mean tucking in the chin and having your feet positioned sturdily (flat with your weight on the backfoot). That, combined with "rolling" (moving your head and body in the opposite direction of the incoming blow), absolutely make it easier to eat shots

>in the opposite direction

Sorry, I mean the same direction, i.e. away from the shot

>Do you honestly think that stiffing your neck and traps bracing for impact has little to none effect as opposed to letting it loose and floppy?
Yes, because I tried. And I've boxed national vice-champions before.

Your study:
>soccer, basketball, and lacrosse
Lmao.

Have a real study:
link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02477111

>The duration of a typical pulse of force, as encountered in boxing, was measured, and hence it was inferred that in this situation the head is mass-controlled; i.e. the effect of the rigidity and damping of the neck is negligible.

Not to mention we don't really know what a knockout is. Some say concussion, some say the concussion only follows the drop to the ground.

Basically, you're don't know shit. Please stop posting.

boxing is a bit like formula one in that you have no idea just how fast the cars really go without seeing it live. impossible to tell on TV just how hard a punch is. just as a wild hook can appear to do no damage, a short punch that looks innocuous enough can knock someone out.

That's true. I go to watch small hall shows with local level fighters sometimes and even they hit really hard and can absorb a ridiculous amount of punishment when you see and hear it up close

>1975
Wow you sure showed me with that outdated study.

>Wow you sure showed me with that outdated study.
Nice to see you still have no clue about how studies work.

Again: Please stop posting, you're decreasing the IQ of everyone involved with your inane shite.

thats because MMA guys are soft

They see the punches coming and brace for them. Most one shot KOs are from disguised counter punches or a lack of concentration from the opponent.

Good question.
To be a pro boxer one has to be born with certain, and very particular physical attitudes, otherwise his punching power and jaw would expose him in every round.
This, basically means that aside from intensive and proper training, one has to be born with a so called "heavy skeleton". The thickness of the skull bones is very relevant here, as well as how heavy the bones in the hand are. Muscle mass can be build up by anyone, and become a good fighter in any discipline, but boxing is just another league. A heavy skull and heavy hands are key essential factors to become a pro.

>muh small skull
Obviously not.

In fact, boxing is extremely unscientific. We don't even now what a KO really is. We don't know what punching power is. No scientist ever researched this shit really. We have studies where lightweights punch a lot harder than heavyweights and studies where punching power doesn't correlate with KO stats. The Soviets tried to do some studies and came to the copclusion that there must be another factor to KOs (either receiving or giving) that we don't really understand - many punches that have the correct speed and impact do nothing, while slow pitter-patter punches sometimes do KO the other guy.

So, yeah, nobody researched it, so we don't know.

>muh small skull
wut?

a thick bonned skull doesn't have to be small. But surely, and beyond any question, the weight and density of the bone structure has lots to do with both the punching power and the capacity to take shots to the head. This, combined with some other parameters and technique makes boxing another league from karate and the likes.
See the greatest punchers of all time like Roberto Duran or Carlos Monzon, they looked like skinny dudes with not so much muscle. The kind of guy one would take on in a bar fight, then their punching power was literally out of this galaxy, krautfag.

The best example is Tommy Hearns. Where does the power come from? I suspect that it's 90% technique, once you account for weight (not much of a factor in boxing due to weight classes)

A German being an ass for no reason anonymously on the internet? What a world.

>Tommy Hearns
Good call
Obviously both punching and taking require the right technique and muscles. Plus, for punching long arms work better as simple leverage laws prove, together with that "whip" technique slightly twisting your wrist right before the impact, something that multiplies the impact force.
Then there is taking, which afaic has lots to to with obviously rolling the shots AND the skull thickness and density so it absorbs the shockwave. And this is all I can say.

People with terrible chins are usually weeded out during the amateurs. Very rarely do glass cannons make it to world level.

>Not to mention we don't really know what a knockout is.

There's really 2 types that are common in boxing, and one is concussive to the brain, and the other is nerve related. A KO is simply nature's way of saying "stop doing what you're doing".

There's a line of nerves that run the length of your jaw, and when they get hit with enough force, it pretty much "short circuits" your brain, which in turn sends out some fucked up signals to your body, like "go to sleep", or "stop supporting your weight with your legs". Some are more susceptible than others to this kind of KO, and genetics plays a huge factor.

Question: Why does Conor gas so easily?

You would assume he'd have more energy in the Floyd fight compare to his MMA fights since he's strictly using his hands for striking instead of hands and feet. Plus shorter rounds rather than five full minutes of action.

Easier to take rests in MMA

He just has shit cardio, he's never really trained it.

>You'd assume he'd have more energy
He was getting ripped to the body more than he ever has, plus he's working different muscle groups at a rate he doesn't normally do, muscle memory and mentally dealing with boxing, he's not adapted to it. I''m surprised he didn't gas faster

Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Incorrect. Stupid broscience. People dont have a fucking hp bar. A hit has to rock the brain in such a way as to disrupt it's function. A shot to the jaw that drops someone is also different in that it doesn't necessarily cause loss of consciousness, just loss of motor function.

>Couldn't be farther from the truth.
nope

I'll take that as a concession that I've won

This, which is why I can't understand why /heem/ fans were so upset at that McGregor stoppage. As Floyd and Dana explained, there is no sense in letting a severely gassed fighter in the prime of his career take minutes of unanswered head shots.

I don't think anyone who could be described as an actual fan was upset by the stoppage