Why did loveless cost half a million dollars to make?

Why did loveless cost half a million dollars to make?
not dissing it i love it, just wondering.

Other urls found in this thread:

fastcompany.com/1682420/how-a-classic-is-created-my-bloody-valentine-and-the-making-of-loveless
reddit.com/r/shoegaze/comments/7vl26s/heres_the_text_of_the_new_uncut_magazine_mbv/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

guessing you heard it less than 20 times in under two years time? come back when you've done your work boy

that can't be true jesus christ

i can't imagine the cost of production on an album like this being more than about $30k

i learnt this from a YT video by p4k about loveless. apparently they bankrupted the label by spending so much on it

We were recording a tambourine part for “To Here Knows When” and we ended up spending an entire week recording just that one part. You might think it must have been a complex part, but in fact, it wasn’t–it was just two tambourine beats repeated. Most people, if they were going to make a tambourine beat, they’d tap one out, loop it, and in three or four minutes, they’d have it done. The difference, with Loveless, is first we needed the right sound, so we recorded from a whole selection of tambourines. Then we had to decide which mic to use and test it, just to get the exact kind of tone that sat really well with the song. Then it had to be played with a really nice feel. From that, a bunch of candidates were selected. Then a lot of time was spent treating them in such a way, moving them ahead or behind the beat, trying to get it exactly right. When I tell them that story, people ask “Can you even hear it at the end of the day?” And I tell them, “It really, really feels nice. It has, like, a perfect groove.”

but it is. Creation records went bankrupt for this album.

assuming this is real, almost any other record would not justify this. this was the one in a million where such perfectionism paid off.

sounds like something in spinal tap

fastcompany.com/1682420/how-a-classic-is-created-my-bloody-valentine-and-the-making-of-loveless apparently it's real.

Vacuums were expensive.

why would the label allow this to happen

what a waste of money, this album sounds like shit

savant a f

Studio time was expensive back then. And KS was an autistic Brian Wilson type who had to get everything exactly how he heard it in his head. They spent 18 months in the studio

well fuck.
home recording is the future man.

they will pay for stuff if you convince them it will bring big bucks

holy fuck just google it if you're curious and stop making assumptions about what happened

it sounded like blurry dogshit in his head, he should not have spent so long trying with that goal

This new article is very enlightening:
reddit.com/r/shoegaze/comments/7vl26s/heres_the_text_of_the_new_uncut_magazine_mbv/

>“The house was full of madness,” admits Googe. “We smoked way too much weed. It was like the Partridge Family on acid. It was quite a mad scene. And then there were the chinchillas. I think Kevin bought one as a present for Bill. They thought it might be lonely, so they got another one. Then, like rodents do, they bred. At its peak, I think there were 13 or 14 chinchillas and they had the whole of the upstairs floor.”

shut the fuck up faggot

i can do whatever i want. google is full of lies anyway.

You've never really heard it. I feel sorry for you

They really ramped up the electric bill with all the vacuums they had plugged in.

how many copies did it sell? Would the outlay ever be recouped?

This basically says a big reason Loveless took so long and cost so much was because the label was cheap and refused to pay for a fully-functioning studio that had all the facilities they needed so they kept going from place-to-place that were all in disrepair and had equipment that kept breaking down.
They also had to keep hiring new engineers because everyone thought they were crazy and didn't understand the sound they wanted or got burnt out from working at Kevin's vampiristic schedule until they found Alan Moulder, and that the 15 other engineers credited didn't do anything substantial that ended up on the record

I just bought the reissue and it set me back $40 so someone must be getting money out of it

>In 2003 Rolling Stone estimated the sales figures for Loveless as 225,000 copies sold
Kevin also spent two years and tons of money on the new analog reissues but by selling them completely independently (and apparently a lot of copies, judging by the fact they've having problems filling all the orders in time) he'll probably make money on that.
I also read an interview a few months after M B V where he wouldn't disclose how many copies but said he had already made a very nice profit on it and that on a major label they would've had to sell a million copies to make the amount of money they'd made

no wonder they didn't have to work for 20 years

This
Explains why they didn't work for 20 years.
Basically Kevin spent the most of the 90s tripping his ass off in a haunted house infested with chinchillas, the rest of the band had to get out for their own sanity but never actually fell out with him or properly disbanded.
They all found other stuff to do and then for finances Kevin ended up being Primal Scream's guitar tech for a decade. Then around 2006 or 7 Kevin had the inspiration to play guitar in MBV's style again and got the band back together, especially as Coachella was offering them a million for a show

The only way they could've made this worse is if they'd hired this cunt. He was on Creation at the time, too.

Living the dream