Sgt pepper and the white album were better than this. Time to accept it Sup Forums

sgt pepper and the white album were better than this. Time to accept it Sup Forums

Do people actually unironically enjoy velvet underground?

Aside from redditors? No.

I wanna know the same thing

Nobody can make a legitimate case for Nico's vocals and the last two tracks not being utter garbage when it comes to TVU&N.

Sgt. Pepper>VU&N>White album

The White Album for sure. Not Sgt Peppers.

>if ranked with along side the Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour
Help!
the white album
Revolver
>The Velvet Underground
Rubber Soul
Abbey Road
>White Light White Heat
>The Velvet Underground and Nico
A Hard Day's Night
Let It Be... Naked
Sgt. Peppers
Beatles For Sale
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
>Loaded
Yellow Submarine
>Squeeze

The White Album literally does not have a song on it as interesting or distinct as Mr. Kite, A Day in the Life, or even She's Leaving Home. It's a great album, but you should give Sgt. Pepper a more fair listen, people tend to weight their opinion of it against its popularity, but it really is one of their best. Certainly better than what I've heard of TVU, even though I like them.

I dont think people regard the white album as high as they do because of the catchy songs. I think its overall just the entire album experience. The whole thing just flows so well and the amount of different styles and genres they experimented with was just so impressive.

vot a clon

No doubt that's it's biggest draw. The Beatles aren't given credit for their range, which was about as broad as any band I know of while still maintaining quality. Still though, I think some of their absolute most ambitious and boundary pushing work is in their psychedelic era, Revolver to MMT, and a few of their most momentous track of their entire careers are on SP, not even in terms of catchiness.

this

Nico is possibly the best Caucasian singer of all modern history

> you should give Sgt. Pepper a more fair listen
I have seriously listened to Sgt. Peppers more than 100 times in the last 20 years. This is my ranking.

Ok, but out of curiosity, do you think the white albums has songs as good as Mr. Kite or ADitL? Which ones, and why?

theyre cute

>Dear Prudence
>While My Guitar Gently Weeps
>Happiness Is a Warm Gun
>Blackbird
>Helter Skelter
White Album literally has so many amazing songs. Also, if you wanna talk about "interesting and distinct" songs, you can't get more distinct than Revolution 9.

please read my post here with a lot more anger than it might seem to communicate on the surface

The last two tracks not only are my favorites from the album, but some of my hundred favorite songs if all time.

>you can't get more distinct than Revolution 9

it was completely basic, uninspired musique concrete. Just ripping off someone else's art to scare their mainstream audience

First off, She's Leaving Home is the best song on Sgt. Peppers.

Second off, A Day in the Life's boundary pushing can be compared to Revolution 9, but I won't go there. I Will and Martha My Dear both have more beautiful melodies than ADITL. Also, Happiness is a Warm Gun has more key and tempo changes than ADITL.

Not taking away from the songs as they are though. I see no real reason to compare them and say that one is better or worse than another. The White Album is a more satisfying listen to me than Sgt. Peppers.

R9 is certainly their boldest experiment, but imo MK and ADitL have moments that rise to that level but maintain the songwriting at the same time, an incredibly difficult balance to strike. I don't want it to seem like I don't appreciate TWA, but I think it's less cohesive, harder to listen to in a single session, has probably the lowest low points of any album from Revolver onwards, and still doesn't quite have the caliber masterpieces on SP. I'll definitely give you HiaWG though, and blackbird, and some others you didn't mention. The album is full of fantastic pieces.

>Also, if you wanna talk about "interesting and distinct" songs, you can't get more distinct than Revolution 9.
>I'm completely ignorant on 20th century academic electronic/tape music

First of all, I think it rivals most anything you can compare it to, and second, I'm pretty sure he meant within the context of The Beatles specifically.

To piggy back, within the context of popular music in general.

I think it's time that the White Album had it's inclusion into Sup Forums core

>First of all, I think it rivals most anything you can compare it to
>I'm completely ignorant on 20th century academic electronic/tape music

>and second, I'm pretty sure he meant within the context of The Beatles specifically.
That doesn't make the statement any less retarded.

See above.

Fuck off, newfag. Sup Forumscore is shit.

>not liking nico's tracks
PLEB FILTERED

Actually, that's a very valid point that nobody in popular was doing sound collage up until that point. That's how a form of art actually gets real exposure.

>I Will and Martha My Dear both have more beautiful melodies than ADITL.
Even if this were objectively true by any metric, beauty can be used in a number of different ways. IW and MMD are both great melodies, but the lyrics are pretty trite, and don't contain the sadness or absurdity or the prose or even the humor of ADitL. They're both basically pretty standard love tunes displaying the, imo, lazy aspect of Paul's artistry that ended up hamstringing his solo success (not that he wasn't successful. I think most people would agree that he has way too much fluff that isn't actually geared towards anything but being catchy).

>Also, Happiness is a Warm Gun has more key and tempo changes than ADITL.
Not that it's not a relevant observation, but I don't think this is really a good way to think about it. It's not a point system, and if it were there are literally millions of artists and songs that score much higher than anything the beatles ever did, but I think I'd still take the beatles over a decent band that's being masturbatory in terms of showing off their theoretical prowess. I absolutely love HiaWG though.

>Not taking away from the songs as they are though. I see no real reason to compare them and say that one is better or worse than another. The White Album is a more satisfying listen to me than Sgt. Peppers.
Totally fair, in the end subjectivity is what it is and if you like something more, than it is literally better, for you personally.

>>and second, I'm pretty sure he meant within the context of The Beatles specifically.
>That doesn't make the statement any less retarded.
If we're talking about the beatles specifically and somebody says one of their songs is their most boundary pushing song, how is it pertinent within the confines of the conversation to say "but john cage was more experimental"? It's literally a non sequitur.

That's fucking backwards you mong

Tbh im suprised the white album isnt Sup Forumscore

This is on par with white album

>nobody in popular was doing sound collage up until that point
Frank Zappa AND The Fugs were doing sound collages at least two years earlier.
Stupid Beatlefag.
And sound collage never needed their exposure, they were fine doing their own thing.

>If we're talking about the beatles specifically and somebody says one of their songs is their most boundary pushing song
To be fair, he said
>if you wanna talk about "interesting and distinct" songs, you can't get more distinct than Revolution 9
And that's simply wrong.

Sup Forumscore is the worst thing to ever happen to Sup Forums

>The White Album literally does not have a song on it as interesting or distinct as Mr. Kite, A Day in the Life, or even She's Leaving Home
wtf m8

Listen to the sound collage at the end of Kite. Which song on TWA both goes that far, has that unique a tone, and still manages to be incredibly catchy and dynamic.