IT TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE!

>IT TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE!
>Yeah but do you have anything at all to say about the themes,characters or anything?
>WHERE ARE MY EXPLOSIONS? WHERE IS THE DRAMA? WHERE ARE IS SHLOCK!?
>C'mon Mike try to say something insightful for once
>IT TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE! JURASSIC WORLD IS AWESOME! I LOVE INDEPENDENCE DAY! GHOSTBUSTERS! IT TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE!

Regardless of memes Boyhood was shit.

>people actually take the film critiques of two grown men who regularly praise capeshit seriously

I never realized that Mike was wrong about everything until shit all over star wars. My eyes are open. All his opinions, all this time...wrong.

Ahh but was it any more shit then Jurassic World, Independence Day or Ghostbusters?

Is RLM, dare I say it, finished?

Boyhood is a masterpiece.

I don't get why people constantly spam the "it took 12 years to make" thing. Nobody says "since it took a long time to make, it must be good." They just recognize that the time gimmick led to a solid film.

Makes it easy to spot plebs at least.

agreed

Actually what makes it easy to spot a pleb is the phrase "gimmick" applied to Boyhood.

>he doesn't know what gimmick means

Tell me what you think it means. And the term is always used derisively when applied to Boyhood.

a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Heh, nice try kid.

Boyhood just didn't have the charismatic, memorable characters of a film like The Force Awakens.

Yupp, that's the right definition, I'm glad you agree.

That is not at all an accurate descriptor of Boyhood's use of time.

Meow :)

the word gimmick does not inherently denote negative connotations.

They're not praising them because like them. They're doing it because they're paid shills (which doesn't solve the problem. It's just another reason for not trusting them)

wut

A cat is fine too.

I think they hated Ghostbusters.

I never said it was bad that the film had a gimmick, it works extremely well. But there is no question that they used the fact that it took 12 years to make to drum up publicity, in addition to their primary reason for making the movie over 12 years (realism).

No, not quite. I think you'd be being disingenuous if you were to say that the term is often used in a positive sense. It is almost always used derisively.

It is not an accurate description of Boyhood's use of time.

Why would I care about what a studio did in advertising the movie?

Also, "realism" is not the primary reason for the way the film was made.

I was only arguing that the 12 year thing meets the literal definition of the word "gimmick," which I've demonstrated it clearly does. Moreover, professional reviewers also call it a gimmick.

What do you think the primary reason is for the 12 years gimmick if not realism?

There's a difference between enjoying something because it's so dumb it's fun to watch and not enjoying a movie that is all about characters because you feel the characters are uninteresting.

Linklater's entire career has been an investigation into time and how it can be depicted on-screen, and what movies have to do with time.

The point is to explore Godard's notion that all films are documentaries by making a movie that is simultaneously fiction while being a recording of "reality" and what that means. It is intended to capture a real person and a fictional one at the same time.

It's been a while since I saw the review, OP. But that doesn't seem to me to be an entirely fair and balanced summary of their views. Are you enable to argue against them without first making a caricature of their statements? I'm sure you are.

I've been saying this since that review came out. But suddenly you only care because he shit on your precious star wars movie.

>No, not quite. I think you'd be being disingenuous if you were to say that the term is often used in a positive sense. It is almost always used derisively.

Correct. To say that something is a gimmick is to conversationally imply that it's bad. Look up what a "conversational implicature" is before you start protesting. It doesn't mean that the term "gimmick" necessarily commits us to judging something to be bad.

Whether it is being used negatively or not, it is still not an accurate description of the concept as it was engineered by Richard Linklater. However that concept was appropriated and leaped upon by the film's studio is irrelevant to the conversation at hand. Discussing the merits of the work itself is what matters, not the way the work was used, or abused, by the money people behind it.

That skit was intentionally over the top because if you saw any interview with the cast or Linklater for Boyhood the only thing you could hear everyone spout is 12 YEARS TO MAKE WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT 12 YEARS YOU KNOW WE FILMED THIS FOR 12 YEARS IF YOU DIDN'T HEAR IT

The marketing for the movie was ridiculous so they RLM went with it completely and nailed it.

So they review film marketing schemes rather than the films themselves?

>OP admitting they have shit taste

Well, at least you came clean.

They reviewed the movie in Half in the Bag. The 12 years video was just them having fun with it.

rekt

>rekt
Hello redd!t. How are you today?

The intention and the idea was there, but the entire execution is laughable.

How many shots of people in sunset can one cram in a movie?
How man on the nose symbolism can you shove in a movie?
How many unnatural "meaning of life" cheesy oneliners?
How many popular songs to ewoke a sense of period will you steal?

The moment when I heard YOUUUUUU SOULJA BOY UP IN THIS HOEEEE is the moment when the movie cemented itself as a failure.

I wasn't arguing about whether it was done well, I was arguing that it was not some gimmick come up with by Linklater to get popular.

I couldn't disagree more though, I think it's a masterpiece. Could you give me some examples about the symbolism in the movie you dislike? Genuinely curious, I never really had that thought while watching it or any of Linklater's movies to be honest.

>If something takes talent and effort, i will hate it.
RLM - Makers of Space Cop

Why don't you give examples of meme symbolism, you fucker. You are the one that brought it up, not me. I bet you think BvS is amsterpiece because of le symbolism. Fuck you.