Why wasn't Tom in the movies?

Why wasn't Tom in the movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking#In_argumentation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because during every audition the real tom appeared and started booing and throwing fruit at the actor and peter hackson

They shouldve cast Brian Blessed

He'd fit beorn better desu

What would he add, except confusion? His story fits in no plot, on purpose.

Not every character needs to add to the plot. Besides he gives the hobbits advice and saves them from the whomping willow

Same reason the scouring of the shire wasn't. Because it was fucking retarded and not only didn't add anything to the story of the movie it would have dragged it down too.

It took half an hour for the hobbits to leave the shire as it is without them tacking on another 5-10 minutes for them to hang out with some ultimately pointless wacky character just for the sake of fan wank.

they weren't retarded, but they definitely didn't fit into the plot that the movies were focusing on

Because the trilogy was already over 9 hours and a stupid scene with a stupid character that does nothing would cost money, merely done for the sake of autistic fuckers like you.

>not every character needs to add to the plot

It does if you're talking about a movie that's already 3 hours long and the only reason for him to exist is to add wimsy and save the characters from some tree which can be (and was) deleted from the movie just as easily.

Retarded may have been going to far on my part but yeah I still think the films would have been worse off had those scenes been added to the first and last movies

This.

For every Tolkien purist who bitches about Bombadil not being in it there'd be 10 people asking what was the point of him being added

>didn't add anything to the story

This is true for the battle scenes that took more than half of Twin Towers + Return of the King

I kind of agree with you but the battles are a pretty big part of the books also.

They explain it if you watch the documentaries, but others have explained it in this thread.

>Love the novel
>Love the films
>Don't care that things are different in the films because they work on their own
The only parts I actually dislike in the films are almost all related to legolas and gimli, but even those scenes are okay and makes the films more fun for younger people.

>related to legolas and gimli

Such as? The fact they made Gimli into a comic relief bugged me the most.

Yes that's pretty much my problem too. The drinking competition between gimli and legolas + legolas skating down the stairs are the worst parts for me. Drinking competition could have been executed decently but wasn't.

Kek.

You understand what you are saying, right? How old are you? Do you understand literally no one knew what the fuck Lord of the Rings was (before the movies) except those who had read the fucking books? The only reason plebs like you can enjoy these movies is because they take an inch form the greatest fantasy world ever written, and nothing on this scale had ever really been done before (9 hour long fantasy).

Every single "Tolkien purist" who say these movies was disgusted, weather or not they enjoyed the movies is besides the point, we didn't get Tolkien. Bitch and moan all you want, that's all you can do, because the Tolkien purist is fucking correct in 99% of cases.

It's a known fact these movies were aimed at plebs like you, and not the Tolkien fan-base. These books were not action books, Tolkien fans were not expecting non-stop action, we were not expecting a fight around every corner. It's disingenuous at best.

dear lord I hope this is a pasta

Feel free to make it one, if you can't refute it.

The "kill competition" relief while good ppl are dying horribly around them in Helms Deep is the absolute worst part of the entire trilogy. JarJar Binks tier bad.

the books are shit and the movies are better

He's irrelevant to the story.

>Frodo, did I ever tell you about my old friend and fellow wizard Radagast the Brown? He's the only wizard around besides Saruman and me. He was always high off forest mushrooms and drove a sled led by CGi rabbits. Despite his ridiculous antics he does have strong magical powers. We need all the help we can get right now but I won't be asking him for help. He was a good friend.

That part is actually in the books though. It's just not really structured to be "funny", it's more meant to be breaking the tension and a way for them to communicate. I didn't mind that they included it, only the way they actually performed it. It should have been something they brought up after the battle.

they did have a competition in the books, but they just tallied up their kills after the battle was over

>he doesn't know about the Blue Wizards
>he doesn't know Radagast gave up on his quest to get high and live in the forest for ever

Like asking for a loan off of your stoner brother in-law.

You realize there had been plenty of LotR adaptations prior to Peter Jackson's right? The books have been popular for decades

Tolkien Purist here, he doesn't speak for everyone.

My parents introduced me to LotR when I was young and my whole family loved the movies. Only people who are literally autistic got bent out of shape that the movies were not direct adaptations. The rest of us were just happy to see a beautiful interpretation of Tolkien's world in live action on the big screen.

>Every single "Tolkien purist" who say these movies was disgusted
I read those fucking books literally 20 times when I was a teenager before I saw the movies and I still was not digusted, I loved every second of them

Point me to the places in my post where I am wrong them, or are you a literal retard who enjoyed the movies purely from the point of an adaptation?

Come now, do not run away, Mr Purist.

I've tried to read through the books a few times but have to stop through sheer boredom usually half way through The Two Towers. Tolkien is great at world-building but the actual plots are dull as fuck.

Honestly I always felt let down that they didn't include the scouring of the shire. The whole point, in my opinion, was that the war touched everyone personally, and it wasn't something that just happened in a far away land. But I do see your point now, that it really didn't fit the flow of the movies.

Kek, nice cheery-picks. How about you post the rest, after the fucking comma.

>weather or not they enjoyed the movies is besides the point

I fucking love these movies too? So fucking what? I can still see their faults, and I can still see that they are not LOTR in anything but name.

I mean, what's the big fucking deal? You say I am sperging out because I typed a few paragraphs in response to something? Are you new here?

The whole point about this argument IS the fact that people can say it's 'okay' that they are not actually LOTR, because they are still good movies. Like I mean, no points are being made except the Tolkien fans who wanted actual Tolkien did not get anything remotely related to fucking Tolkien, a grand adventure tale filled with philosophy, friendship and tales of hope and despair are degraded to simple action scenes with glimmers of the source.

I am literally correct. There is really no point in arguing. This argument simply is not about weather or not these movies are good, this simply is not even an argument.

What argument? All you did was spill a lot of autism and offer a no-true-scotsman assertion that anyone who enjoyed the movies isn't a true Tolkien fan.

not him, but I'll greentext sentences where you're wrong
>literally no one knew what the fuck Lord of the Rings was (before the movies) except those who had read the fucking books
complete bullshit, my fucking grandma knew what it was and it wasn't even the forst adaptation
>Every single "Tolkien purist" who say these movies was disgusted
not true
>we didn't get Tolkien
do you know what adaptation is? no movie ever created would be Tolkien since Tolkien is not a movie director and every film would be adaptation you fucking retard. book and film are also completly different mediums
>These books were not action books, Tolkien fans were not expecting non-stop action, we were not expecting a fight around every corner
there wah no non stop action in the movies eithher. by todays standards they are quite slow paced even. and stop speaking in the name of all Tolkien fans you fucking moron, those are your opinions

Then how do I not speak for everyone if I didn't even make any points? What are you referring to when you say I don't speak for everyone?

>actually running away
kek.

>legolas skating down the stairs

Legolas used to be my favourite character as a kid but as the years went by I drifted more towards Gimli after reading the books and few times. But what really killed my liking for film Legolas was The Hobbit, his Gary stu antics were unbearable.

>there wah no non stop action in the movies eithher. by todays standards they are quite slow paced even. and stop speaking in the name of all Tolkien fans you fucking moron, those are your opinions
Literally the whole last movie is an action scene which occupies a single chapter in the book.

Wrong.
>complete bullshit, my fucking grandma knew what it was and it wasn't even the forst adaptation
Because of the fucking book and someone who had read it you mong.

>not true
Yes, yes it is. I mean, you cherry-picked, but are you happy with the amount of source that was in the movies? Kek, you have a literal shit opinion then.

>book and film are also completly different mediums
Holy fucking shit, such a god dam cop out. Have you not watched 12 hour long trilogies of literally 'nothing' happening but brooding conversation, plots thickening and 'stuff' happening.

Like you are a proper moron, you literally went to
>books are so different than movies
Like, literally, holy shit, watch more movies.

>People who enjoyed the books MUSTN'T understand that there are adaptations needed to be made for screen
The movies got much of the thematic alright:
>Friendship
>Hope
>Loyalty

>Also, are you fucking dumb to claim that LotR wasn't a worldwide fenomena before the movies? Nigga, I lived in the countryside ham of a thirdworld when FotR came out and basically everyone I knew was hyped as fuck when my brother got the DVD (or was it a VHS?). There were literally a dozen of kids (and a few adults) in my livingroom hyped as hell to watch the movie.

>Like, literally, holy shit

Do people actually type like this outside of tumblr? Embarrassing

It's that cop out again, implying as if the way Tolkien writes isn't literally perfect for a 1:1 adaptation.

You've read Tolkien, right? They make sense from business standpoints, don't be a a fucking ignorant cunt on purpose and say 'it's for the story'. They had a budget, and had to make a story to fit the budget.

>Literally the whole last movie is an action scene which occupies a single chapter in the book.
literally not
>Because of the fucking book and someone who had read it you mong
people knew what LOTR was because LOTR existed. if Tolkien never wrote LOTR, people would have never heard about it. yes, nice observation you goddamned mongrel.
>Yes, yes it is. I mean, you cherry-picked
do you know what cherry picking is? when you make a statement like
>all cows are white
showing you that some cows are not is not cherry picking, it's proving you wrong. lrn 2 basic logic brainlet
>
Holy fucking shit, such a god dam cop out. Have you not watched 12 hour long trilogies of literally 'nothing' happening but brooding conversation, plots thickening and 'stuff' happening.
what? I've decided I won't talk to you anymore on the basis that you cannot articulate your thoughts properly and also you're fucking stupid. I have no doubt that you'll interpret it as you winning, but whatever

>people knew what LOTR was because LOTR existed. if Tolkien never wrote LOTR, people would have never heard about it. yes, nice observation you goddamned mongrel.
Gee, it's almost like it would be pretty safe to stay safe to a book which already has such a huge following? Right?

>do you know what cherry picking is? when you make a statement like
You cherry-picked my argument senpai. Here, to help you get antiquated with the principle.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking#In_argumentation
>In argumentation, the practice of "quote mining" is a form of cherry picking,[5] in which the debater selectively picks some quotes supporting a position (or exaggerating an opposing position) while ignoring those that moderate the original quote or put it into a different context.

>what? I've decided I won't talk to you anymore on the basis that you cannot articulate your thoughts properly and also you're fucking stupid. I have no doubt that you'll interpret it as you winning, but whatever
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

>If you break down each of my arguments, it's cherry picking. You have to copy it out verbatim
So what did they leave out?

>It's that cop out again, implying as if the way Tolkien writes isn't literally perfect for a 1:1 adaptation.
Please, explain how it would be perfectly acceptable to have us watch as years pass and Gandalf doesn't show up in the Shire, or how it would be OK for there to be characters who literally show up in a scene and never appears again, or how it would be good to have Aragorn deciding how to elude the Nazgul and discussing it with the hobbits, or describing every piece of preparation for Bilbo's party.
That's only in the Fellowship, mind you.

Holy fuckin shit I literally cringed at this post. I was a huge fan of the books ever since I was young and I first read them, which was about 8-10 years before the movies were released I guess.

I literally appeared to develop some autism over collecting different versions of the books and all the other books connected to Middle-Earth lore and I could probably easily win a Mastermind on the topic.

I fuckin hate the term purist, and I fuckin hate sour cunts who can't enjoy a movie for what it is. I couldn't imagine someone doing a better job at putting the books on the screen when it comes to the LotR (the hobbit trilogy sucked balls tho).

The only parts I hated in the movie were the cringeworthy Arwen scenes and action-hero Legolas. Those were just small annoyances in overall great movies.

Stop embarassing yourself further.