Overrated directors

Just post directors you think are overrated. They don't have to be bad but they get more praise than they really should. I'll go first and trigger some of you.

Francis Ford Coppola. Before assassinating me, here me out. I liked The Godfather films, Apocalypse Now, The Rainmaker and others he has made but he has made some pretty enjoyable films too, such as Jack. More than that though, I don't think The Godfather, the supposedly best film ever made according to some, is even his best film, Apocalypse Now is. There are better directors than him, he's by no means bad as I quite enjoy his films but I don't think he's all he's made out to be.

I expected to be attacked by 15 year old film studies students.

JJ abrams

Scorsese
>muh gangsters

obvious ones :
Tarantino
Nolan
Snyder

Apocalypse Now is one of the best films ever made so he gets a pass for everything else

Spielberg is probably the most overrated director in Hollywood, but I suppose even plebs realize it nowadays.

Aronofsky is the hack I hate most though

Nolan? Really?

I completely get you

I find Steven Soderbergh to be over-rated. While he has good technical knowledge of film, he lacks soul. I find his films to be dull and soulless.

>Aronofsky
I like Pi and The Wrestler. I liked Black Swan the first time I saw it, then I realized it was intended as a "serious film" which kinda ruined it for me.

Fuck "Requiem for a Dream" though. The epitome of pretentious, entry-level trash. and fuck everything else he's made to a lesser degree.

The Godafather, Part II. The Conversation, and Apocalypse Now is unarguably one of the greatest runs in film history.

The man just got too big for his britches.

But his bad films are truly, embarrassingly awful. The guy just can't do "average," and I respect him for that

I'd say people rate Coppola exactly as much as he deserves. He's considered one of the greats because the few great films he's made are some of the best of all time. The sheer effort and emotional hardship he put into Apocalypse Now alone earned him the right to be somewhat lazy and play it safe in the other films he's made

What are your feelings on Rumble Fish and Bram Stoker's Dracula? For me, they're certainly both much better than average but still a far cry from his '70s output.

Overrated? I wouldn't say so. Many people think he's a commercial hack.

Billy Wilder

GET FUCKED

Jack is probably one of his worst.

>naming Spielberg

LITERAL kek

Haven't seen Rumble Fish, but I liked Dracula. I think it still fits the mold, though. Some parts of that film are truly inspired and brilliant, other parts of it are so cringeworthy and "off" that you wonder what Coppola was thinking

That's not a turn-off for me, though. In the world of "bad films" there's a mountain of dull, uninspired mediocrities, and a few really fascinating train-wrecks. I'd much rather see a train-wreck

All his movies are machine'like and sterile and I feel absolutely nothing when watching them.
>That's the point

Still don't like the way he made movies.

>this cuck

go fuck yourself.

New Hollywood Italo-Americans influenced by Visconti, I prefer Cimino over Coppola and, I'm not a huge fan of Godfather. But AN and Conversation are really amazing.

Most people haven't even seen his 80's films. They're flawed but not uninteresting.

One From The Heart is perhaps the most insane romantic film ever made? The real film that actually made him go crazy, not Apocapylse Now. Visually incredible, although it looks more dated.
Rumble Fish looks great.
The Cotton Club which is like a lighthearted version of Godfather with a jazz atmosphere, unmemorable but really well-made and has a certain charm to it.
I have a really soft spot for Tucker. Gorgeous lighting from Storaro, written by one of Capra's writers, some great comedy and thematically very interesting when you realize it's actually about independent filmmaking vs. studios.

ayy man remember the 70's? member the 80's?

>All his movies are machine'like and sterile and I feel absolutely nothing when watching them.
>Paths of Glory

NO

David O'Russell
John Carpenter
David Cronenberg
Guillermo Del Toro

>IT TOOK 19 YEARS TO MAKE

>John Carpenter
He's an underrated director who's just been starting to get proper recognition years after his prime. Most of his best films flopped on release, critics never liked him. He was a massive influence on the next generation of filmmakers, so it's starting to become a meme to like him, but fuck you anyway

Clint Eastwood, he's made a handful of good movies but also a ton of complete shit

I hate Wes Anderson's films

What can I say, his neat freak approach resulted in some of the most flawless films ever; but he rubs off almost every trace of humanity in the process.

I can respect his filmmaking, but I don't have to like it.

Memehood aside, he's pretty based. Natural as fuck director. The newton boys is also maximum comfy.

>Hitchcock
>Spielberg
>Woody Allen
>Gaspar Noé
>Nolan
>Iñarritu
>Oliver Stone

No need to be mean to Clint, Satan. He's an elderly man.

>>Hitchcock
Literally the most pleb opinion its possible to have. That chubby fuck knew more about creating tension through visual narrative than 90% of the fucks that came before or after.

No.

David O russel is the worst he can suck my fucking nuts

You're smoking crack. Apocalypse Now, Godfather I & II and The Conversation are all brilliant.

I didn't say they weren't. I'm just saying there not all people build them up to be.

I'm with you on this. I was really into Kubrick when I was really getting into film, learning about different directors, etc. I've seen all his films, I liked almost all of them on first viewing. I definitely have a lot of respect for him.

But today, I don't think I could force myself to re-watch most of his films. I would still probably enjoy Lolita, Dr. Strangelove and The Shining. Besides those ones, it's as you said. Stark, cold compositions, emotionless-mannequin performances from great actors, and pervasive nihilism. There just aren't many times in my life when I want to come home from a day of work and sit through 2 hours of that