Richard Brody: “Scorsese tests his limits in Silence”

>Scorsese has never made a Western, but “Silence” is the closest thing to it—it’s his version of John Ford’s “The Searchers. The Western is the philosophical and political genre par excellence, because it considers a pre-bureaucratic state in which societal functions are realized onscreen in direct, physical action. In “Silence,” Scorsese borrows the genre’s stripped-down framework in order to observe the physical exertion of brutal power.

>“Silence” approaches grave philosophical, political, and psychological matters unflinchingly. It rises to a harrowing crescendo of overlapping strains of agony—physical and emotional, spiritual and moral—that is among the strangest, most intricately tangled of all of Scorsese’s creations.

>The movie’s extraordinary conclusion—anchored by a letter to parallel the one by Ferreira that begins the film—redefines the very notion of martyrdom and of the bearing of witness. With a shiver of irony, Scorsese reaches far within himself and far beyond himself, beyond even the scope of his formidable technique, to test the very threshold of the cinema. At its terrifying best, even when Scorsese’s mighty power of invention falters or his efforts show, “Silence” is beyond good and bad.

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/martin-scorsese-tests-his-limits-in-silence

Is it, dare I say it, kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1Lt6DEnFYuA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why don't Catholics just stop interfering in the politics of non-Catholic nations?

I'm waiting for a real review

>tfw the suspense regarding whether our gay nigga Armond liked it or not is killing me

>caring about the opinions of critics

t. Cuck and pleb

he hates catholics so he will hate it

desu he has hated everything gangster-related Scorsese has done recently, although he praises things like Mean Streets

who knows? Maybe this film will redeem Scorsese in Armond's eyes.

>le contrarian gay nigger

Because we're right, you heretic.

He actually likes Scorsese's early work because it dealt with his Italian-American Catholic ethnic perspective and grittiness

I really hope it will be. Love the novel, love Scorsese.

Anyone actually seen it yet? I've been looking forward to this one for years. I'm not usually a big fan of Andrew Garfield, but Neeson and Adam Driver are fine by me

am I supposed to feel sympathetic for a bunch of fanatics trying to turn a countries people against them?

Saw it recently, gotta say i think Garfield was the best of the three. Neeson was just a bit out of place imo

SJWs are the good guys user, read a book

Saw it before Christmas, it was really fucking good. Although, this is speaking from someone who is both a Japanese history enthusiast and a Catholic. It's a painful film to watch as it has loads of brutal physical and psychological torture and it really made me think about some theological questions. To generalize the movie as blowing christians the fuck out of making christians seem baddass or poor dindus is completely missing the point, and I don't think anyone that actually watched that would come to either of those conclusions. It's a long hard look at the most oppressive and thorough persecution of Christianity in history and shows you what happens when people are driven to their limits.

In my opinion it's one of the best east meets west films, since it's not revolving around action or romance, but rather spirituality, and what being a Christian means.

It's basically 1984 in medieval Japan.

>A film by Martin Scorsese
>You're supposed to sympathize with the protagonists and morally support everything they do

I wonder if anyone loves me enough to sit through 2 hours and 41 minutes of brutal physical, psychological and spiritual torture with me just because I like the director? I want to see it on the big screen, but that no-singles policy is a bitch

Lmao I've convinced my gf to see this with me

His reviews are well-written but you must know that he doesn't actually care about whether the movie is good or not, right? They're just thought exercises for him and he only "likes" a movie if he can do enough intellectual acrobatics to determine it appropriately shirks whatever cultural framework he has decided to rail against for that review.

>The Western
>philosophical and political genre

This review is as bad as Evangelion posters on Sup Forums.

it's a scorcese remakes another movie episode

Never understood what was supposed to be so deep about Evangelion, it was just a trussed up cartoon show about aliens trying to kill humans.

Name a deep movie then

The Abyss

Get it? Because its about Aliens at the bottom of the ocean.

By this definition Evangelion is also deep, the city sinks way below the earths surface as a defense mechanism

Batman v Superman

Actually it sinks into the crater left by Lilith's space ship. That's what the GeoFront actually is and why Lilith is down at its lowest level.

There is literally nothing wrong with evangelism. It is objectively not destructive or dangerous in any way, an anybody violently opposed to it is an enemy of mankind

So Israel, China, North Korea, France, etc. Subhuman nations

I've seen it and it's definitely one of the best films ever made, though I think a lot of plebs and normies will find it really slow and boring

should have gotten oscar isaac instead of fucking andrew garfield. he doesn't even look portuguese

Autists don't really have the capacity to explain what they like about Evangelion so they talk about the plot being "deep" but even they don't quite understand what it means.
When people hear "deep," they think they're referring to narrative complexity and so this huge misusenderstanding happens.

Evangelion is not "deep", and I say this as someone who loves it, but "unified." The visuals and writing compliment the themes and the result is that it feels really cohesive, even when it's off the rails.
You just have to try and interpret the autistic fans who don't have the capacity to explain things any other way

>We're right!
>I know because the man in the funny bath robe and wizard hat said so!

>There is literally nothing wrong with evangelism

Didn't Jesuit evangelising in Japan ultimately get a bunch of Japanese killed?

THE PATRICIAN HAS SPOKEN

Reminder that there are Japanese Christians who actually believe that Jesus had his brother, Isukiri, die on the cross so that he could escape to Japan and live to the ripe old age of a-hundred-and-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-?

youtu.be/1Lt6DEnFYuA

That's the same logic as
>Weed can ruin your life... I know a guy who went to prison and now he's a felen for life!

not to be an epic highly intelligent sargon of akkad athiest but couldnt they just have left the gooks alone

IIRC the Japanese Christians that went into hiding didn't even have bibles to work with, and pretty much had to reconstruct their entire religion from what they could remember and a few translated hymns, so it's not surprising it went full crazy

He will like it. Im sure of it. He's not contrarian, just next level.

It's no more inaccurate than any other story about Jesus.

Childhood is when you idolize Armond
Adulthood is when you realize that Brody makes more sense

Jesus told us "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." That's why.

>The Western is the philosophical and political genre par excellence, because it considers a pre-bureaucratic state in which societal functions are realized onscreen in direct, physical action
>harrowing crescendo of overlapping strains of agony—physical and emotional, spiritual and moral—that is among the strangest, most intricately tangled of all of Scorsese’s creations.
>redefines the very notion of martyrdom and of the bearing of witness. With a shiver of irony, Scorsese reaches far within himself and far beyond himself, beyond even the scope of his formidable technique, to test the very threshold of the cinema

what the fuck is this gibberish? holy fuck, it's all "look at me, i know words."

Go back to your RLM thread

wait they need spaceships now?