What is the language that is closest to your native?

What is the language that is closest to your native?

Can you understand it?
Can you speak it?
Can you read/write it?

>Frisian
>No
>No
>No

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesian_language#Example
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>native
Cree/Nêhiyaw
>closest
Probably Ojibwe
>understand
lolno. Can hear a word hear and there but the general message is quite literally lost in translation
>speak
Kek I like to say jokingly that if i want to speak ojibwe, i just gotta speak cree and say the 'sh' sound as much as possible
>read/write
Ocîpiwemowin has more letters than cree and the spelling looks like theres to many vowels, so…no

Ojibwe literally mean "their own tribe" in cree

swedish/norwegian

yes
a little
can read, can't write

>What is the language that is closest to your native?
Karelian is probably the closest that counts as a distinctive language, Kven etc. are more like dialects
>Can you understand it?
to a certain extent yes, it is largely mutually intelligible with Finnish from what I've seen, but sometimes requires a bit of thinking to understand
>Can you speak it?
no
>Can you read/write it?
no

correction: I can read it to the extent where it is mutually intelligible, of course

how can you not understand frisian? its obviously germanic but the spelling compared to english is so much alike its kndia lkie tnypig lkie tihs. Yuo can tlel waht the sntecne is tynirg to say eevn tugohh it's jblemud gbgraae.

prove it

Spanish
Yes
Yes
Kinda

>tfw mixbred

How does it feel to speak a dialect of spanish?

Aramaic
Barely
No
No

You must not be an English native speaker. Just sound out the words, it's easy:

Tsiis is iten makke fan molke. By it meitsjen fan tsiis wurde de fêste stoffen yn de molke (aaiwiten, fetten en mineralen) skieden fan it focht. Der wurdt strjemsel, soersel en sâlt oan de tsiis tafoege by it tameitsjen. Tsiis hat, neist de haadbesândielen fet en aaiwyt fan bisten, in protte kalsium en fitamine A, B en D.

AAAAAAAAAJJJ el aboriginalANO

>spanish
>a language
The eternal american

i had to read it a few times, but its talking about milk and vitamins.

WOW, I SPEAK FRISIAN, MA!!!

You can certainly make out portions but Frisian is not going to understandable at all to most native speakers.

It's about cheese

It's not easy if you don't know Frisian phonetics. Plus you've got them using Germanic terms like "fixed stuff" instead of the Latin-derived "solid" which would probably throw off your average English speaker.

>Korean(My native language is Japanese)
>No.
>No.How can I speak Korean like natives?It's difficult.
>No but I can read only Hangul(Korean letters) and a bit because I have learned Korean language.?/No.
Hangul is so simple

English is an abomination, the bones/muscles are Germanic but the fat (and there is a lot of it) is Mediterranean

ive failed you, ma. Forgive me.

Nigger the closest language in the japonic family to japanese is okinawan or anyone of the ryukyuan languages
Miss me with your american tier intelligence

>miss me with
>talking like an american nigger
>insults america

Bread, butter, and green cheese is good english and good fries

I'm on an international board, so I international slang. Wouldn't want a seppo like you using my words.

>international slang

kys

its ok Bruce, I was 15 once, too.

I still dont get this meme

No hablo espanol gringo

Okinawa language is dialect of Japanese.
So it contains Japanese

many nationalities in spanish end in -ano. the word ano in spanish also means anus. thats that the ano gets capitalized as a meme
peruANO (peruvian or peru anus)
mexicANO (mexican or mexi anus)
aborginalANO (aboriginal or aboriginal anus)

Is dutch a dialect of english? You don't know what you're talking about.

Europe languages is diffrent from Asia language.Not same

Catalán, I guess. I get it most of the time, unlike Chilean.

>>American tier education
Lol

Dutch is easier to read than this shit.

>Ebonics
>Yes
>Yea nigga
>sheeit I mean a lil bit

>Europe languages is diffrent from Asia language.Not same
Nah, it's pretty much the same dispute as minority Romance languages in countries like Spain, Bavarian vs. German, Silesian vs. Polish...

what about Estonian?

I literally cannot understand any of that, and yes I am a native english speaker

Spanish and Portuguese are closer to being dialects of the same language than Japanese and Okinawan are.

Silesian is not a fucking language it is just a dialect of polish. It is 99% same as polish dialect in Greater Poland, but with large amount of german words.

>What is the language that is closest to your native?

If you consider Portuguese and Galician separated languages (I don't): Galician.
If you don't, like me: Astur-Leonese and Castilian/Spanish.

Astur-Leonese is quite easy to understand. Castilian too after small previous exposure. (Written Castilian is piss easy.)
My spelling and pronunciation are crap, but I can get myself understood in Castilian.

The situation is the same - you'll see people who consider them different languages at one side and just dialects at the other.

Most romance languages actually. Portuguese and Catalan are dialect tier, Italian is less understandable but you can still get the basic meaning in a sentence.
Yes
No
Yes. No.

Also, Silesian has features on its own. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesian_language#Example provides some, check how plenty vowels are reduced to and Polish/Czech initial become , this isn't German influence.

The situation is not the same. The only thing that is the same is that there is a question between it being a dialect or not due to politics.

Okinawan (and other languages) split off from Japanese and was isolated on islands before Chinese influenced either language. The situation is more comparable to English vs other Germanic languages than any of your examples.

According to wikipedia there is a 71% lexical similarity (shared vocabulary) between Okinawan and Japanese. There is a 90% similarity between Spanish and Portuguese. And a 75% similarity between French and Romanian.

Same as my native dialect, yet i don't claim that i speak different language. Silesian grammar and phonetics are almost identical to my native dialect and the only difference is high number of german words in Silesian.

>Chinese
>nope
>nah
>no

>The situation is not the same. The only thing that is the same is that there is a question between it being a dialect or not due to politics.
When I say the "situation" is the same, I'm talking about _disputed status_. I'm not talking about the _degree_ of separation.

If you think the similarity between English and other Germanic languages would be better suited as comparison: it would if the Netherlands took control of the UK, or the UK took control of the Low Countries. Because as yourself said, the question is due to politics, you see stuff like Mandarin and Cantonese being called "dialects" for that, or [your own example] Portuguese and Castilian being called "languages".

Lexical similarity isn't a good measuring tool for that on its own, because 1. a language is not just a vocabulary, and 2. phonological and semantic shifts can render those cognates unrecognizable for the average speaker. French "le cheval" and Romanian "calul" might be 100% cognates, but they don't help with mutual understandability.

And yet I bet the same thing applies in large part to Czech. And yet you don't see people claiming Polish is a Czech dialect of vice-versa.

[I'm not trying to say Silesian is a dialect or a language. I'm just showing this shit is harder to define than it looks like, even the article I linked mentions this.]

Czech
No
No
No

> Norwegian
> Yes
> No
> Read yes, writw no

>it would if the Netherlands took control of the UK, or the UK took control of the Low Countries.

Yes I think that's the perfect analogy. That's why I gave it the Japanese poster that said it was a dialect.

After a month or so of studies with praatmarfrysk you can read wikipedia articles pretty easily.

>the closest language to japanese is not mandarin...

>Afrikaans
>Yes
>Yes
>Yes

You just remove all declensions, remove the last consonant of some words, and use a double negative to mean a single negative.

It doesn't look hard for native English speakers. At least the ones who can pull out older/archaic vocabulary.

>Pico della Mirandola waard yn 1463 berne yn Mirandola, yn 'e neite fan Modena, as de jongste soan fan Fransiskus I, greve fan [...]
>Pico della Mirandola was in 1463 born in Mirandola, in a [night? near?] from Modena, as the youngest son from Fansiskus I, graf from [...]

Latvian
No
No
No

Neite fan = in the proximity of

Just think of "neite" like the term "neighborhood"

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Korean

>Can you understand it?
Not at all
>Can you speak it?
Not at all
Can you read/write it?
Not at all

Chinese
>Can you understand it?
A little
>Can you speak it?
Not at all
Can you read/write it?
I can comprehend about 25% of what is written at most but I can't write their sentences.

Russian and Ukrainian are my native ones, which makes Belorussian the closest relative. I understand 99% of it if it's written and 70-85% when it's spoken, can't speak it at all though. But it's fine, neither can Belorussians ;^)

>Mother tongue is English and Italian (Parents)
I can understand 90% of Spanish. Like my Latin teacher used to say, Spanish is Italian that was left alone in the scorching sun in Hispania to fend for itself. French sounds like a dog barking.

> What is the language that is closest to your native?
spanish, french etc
> Can you understand it?
not everything
> Can you speak it?
no
> Can you read/write it?
yes only with learned ones/ no

>Kajkavian
>the most of any other Slavic language
>no
>read but not write

>Portuguese
>yes
>yes
>yes

>yes only with learned ones/ no
Ah, é fácil com um vocabulário mais[più] conservador e algumas[alcune] regras.

French ^ = Italian S: hôpital=ospedale, maître=maestro
Spanish ending AS, OS = Italian E, I: servos, servas = servi, serve
etc.

Usei [ho usato] isto muito [molto], para [per] evitar memorizar vocabulário do francês.

>Sorbian, but since it is a meme i will say that according to wikipedia it would be Slovak. BUT! For almost 2 years we have got about 2 mln Ukrainians in Poland and people got used to their accent a bit, so it is probably Ukrainian now.
>Yes, but not everything
>Poorly
>Yes, i know cyrylic

>tagalog
>no

when comparing both, its literally a fucking mess
because some of the pronounciation and spelling is the same but the meaning is opposite

Deutsch
yes
more or less
yes 90%

e.g.
mahal kita
>tagalog: i love you
>malay: we are expensive

aka it's just a retarded version of Dutch and not a real language

it sounds like a guy with Downs syndrome speaking Dutch, makes you think about the kind of people you've send there 400 years ago

kekked

English is probably closer to West Flemish than to Frisian proper

>german
>yes
>yes
>yes

czech/slovakian
can read/understand when spoken but can't write myself for shit

>Native Language
Swedish
>Closest
Norwegian
>Understand
Yes
>Speak
No
>Read/Write
Read yes, write maybe some

>aromanian
>kinDA
>no
>da

That's imperialist fake news and you know it
disgusting

Luxembourgish
>Yes, it's like a strong dialect.
>no
>read yes, write no.

We can't understand easily it due to the speaking populace having a heavy slavic accent. Otherwise it would be just another dialect.

>Croatian/Serbian
>Yes
>Kinda
>I can read it, and I can kinda write in it.

Estonian
Maybe like 40% when written. I can sort get idea what's being said.
No, except numbers
nah

You must be some sort of fuccboi if you can't understand Karelian. Nothing against them classifying it as a separate language but in reality it's just a dialect.

>Okinawa language is dialect of Japanese.
But that is wrong you fucking retard

Croatian
Yes to all

Belarusian/Ukranian
>Can you understand it?
40-70%

That's a bit of a stretch, especially today that Okinawan has been NIP'd for about 150 years. Better comparison are the 3 scandi languages

Faroese
>understand: a little
>speak: no
>read: yes, write: no
The similarity in writing is artificial though since written Faroese is largely based on written Icelandic and doesn't fit the spoken language very well

what's wrong with Seppo?

>Yaghnobi, aka Neo-Sogdian.
>No, but some written sentences are understandable.
>No
>No

Occitan, I guess
kinda
nay
kinda