Emo

As a guy that was born in 1989, what was Emo in the 2000s? Was it pretending to be depressed when you were gay (or possibly not gay)? Explain the ideology for me if you would please, and the origins, because I hear it goes farther back than that. I never liked it but I want to get a better understanding of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1aGuMAL7tnqWNqir1lPgOCmCDg2y-xMii9lhOyz8SeHw/edit?usp=drivesdk
fourfa.com/index.html
washedupemo.com
youtube.com/watch?v=ovq9UsNTjYk
youtube.com/watch?v=C7At6qGIZO0
youtube.com/watch?v=avOWoocql7c
youtube.com/watch?v=CQE7gu4D1R4
youtube.com/watch?v=DLbHfOhJNR4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I honestly don't know but the concept aged pretty bad... TOO FUCKING bad

Finally, I can put this to use!
docs.google.com/document/d/1aGuMAL7tnqWNqir1lPgOCmCDg2y-xMii9lhOyz8SeHw/edit?usp=drivesdk

Also, check out these websites as well.
fourfa.com/index.html
washedupemo.com
isthisbandemo.com

>pretending to be depressed when you were gay
precisely. no more, no less. It was never an ideology, just a posture combined with a bit of ugly fashion bullshit (not that ideology is ever much more than that)
same as right now except it was shitty pop punk instead of shitty hip hop

and it was resurrected by the current generation
but with shitty hip-hop

>emo shifting to hip hop
Holy shit the children are really completely lost aren't they. No sympathy from me.

Checked

Not the point of my essay, but thanks.

Emo /ˈiːmoʊ/ is a rock music genre characterized by an emphasis on emotional expression, sometimes through confessional lyrics. It emerged as a style of post-hardcore from the mid-1980s hardcore punk movement in Washington, D.C., where it was known as emotional hardcore or emocore and pioneered by bands such as Rites of Spring and Embrace. In the early 1990s, emo was adopted and reinvented by alternative rock, indie rock and pop punk bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbreaker, Weezer and Jimmy Eat World. By the mid-1990s, bands such as Braid, the Promise Ring and the Get Up Kids emerged from the burgeoning Midwest emo scene, and several independent record labels began to specialize in the genre. Meanwhile, screamo, a more aggressive style of emo using screamed vocals, also emerged, pioneered by the San Diego bands Heroin and Antioch Arrow.

Emo entered mainstream culture in the early 2000s with the success of Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional and many artists signed to major record labels. Bands such as My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy and the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus continued the genre's popularity during the rest of the decade. By the early 2010s, emo's popularity waned, with some groups changing their sound and others disbanding. Meanwhile, however, a mainly underground emo revival emerged, with bands such as The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die and Modern Baseball drawing on the sound and aesthetic of 1990s emo.

Often seen as a subculture, emo also signifies a specific relationship between fans and artists and certain aspects of fashion, culture and behavior. Emo fashion has been associated with skinny jeans; tight t-shirt with band names; studded belts; and flat, straight, jet-black hair with long bangs. The emo subculture is stereotyped with emotion, sensitivity, misanthropy, shyness, introversion and angst, as well as depression, self-harm and suicide.

People now say that emo = late 2000s Myspace hair. Mostly because all the 20-something year old kids were teens back then.

Very early 2000s emo was the good shit. People didn't have clown hair and skinny jeans and the music wasn't like Brokencyde and My Chemical Romance and all that shit.

Nnnno it fucking wasn't

"true" emo is either whiny indieshit like american football or whiny punk shit like rites of spring

in both cases "true" emo doesn't deserve to be listened to

You know, you are actually fucking stupid if you think MCR isn't legitimately good music.

Have you listened to their discography, or are you going off of impressions?
I'm guessing the latter if you compare them with brokencyde

Look man, every great orginal genre needs a cool hairstyle

emo - black straightened hair

punk- mohawk

Dubstep- skrillho cut

psychedelic- long hippie hair

whether you like it or not that shit in the 2000's was just the mainstream plebe version of emo. one of emo's phases. when emo tried flying towards the sun

yeah true emo is 80s post-hardcore but no one really means that when they talk about emo.

I guess at most 2000s emo can be called emo revivel and 2nd wave revival to appeal music nerds like yourself. Same with goth.

Also Its very obvious that emo needs to enter its post emo phase next. But they are still stuck on revival mode with faggots like modern baseball

it's all trash

what i'm trying to tell you is that there's no significant variation in quality between various emo bands regardless of the genre or wave or era

all trash, and it doesn't matter which one came first

it already has

it's called emo rap

lil peep, lil xan, xxxtortilla all that stuff

MCR was one of my single most favorite bands at one point, but the point when they hit the mainstream was also the point when they shed whatever little emo style or inspiration they have.

Kids in their early-mid 20s will swear by The Black Parade even thought that album was their downward trend.

I also like Brokencyde's first album, to be perfectly transparent.

But again, not emo. Definitely not original 80s emo and not even close to early 2000s emo revival.

Stuff like Algernon Cadwallader
youtube.com/watch?v=ovq9UsNTjYk
and Touche Amore
youtube.com/watch?v=C7At6qGIZO0

post emo would entail more than stupid wiggers.

Also no one who likes emo listens to those faggots

wow thanks for those hot opinions

My point is that myspace hair and myspacecore emo didn't exist for a good half of the early 2000s even though early 2000s had its own version of emo.

A lot changes in a single decade. Look at the 90s. Early 90s was all about Grunge and Thrash metal but late 90s was all about Pop-punk and Nu-Metal.

Early 2000s emo

youtube.com/watch?v=avOWoocql7c

youtube.com/watch?v=CQE7gu4D1R4

youtube.com/watch?v=DLbHfOhJNR4

>mid to late 2000s emo

WHEN I WAS

Shit posts. Unironically kill yourselves.

Only good post ITT. Checked.

Touche Amore doesn't feel like emo to me. More like Hardcore or Post-Hardcore. Though their lyrics are extremely emo.

oh no

>no Brand New
>no Tigers Jaw
>no pageninetynine
>no Off Minor

dropped

>Implying I'm going to dump all of the 2001 Vans Warped Tour lineup just to make a point on a Vietnamese basket-weaving bulletin board

emo as a genre and emo as a fashion were two entirely different things

the genre obviously came first and plenty of people here have broken down that part of it. emo as a fashion/trend/subculture was what emerged in the 2000s with the straightened fringes and such, and the popularity of that made it what most of the public sees "emo" as now. the music associated with the fashion was generally pop-punk, pop-rock, and some metalcore and 00s post-hardcore though

"emo" also has a lot of crossover with "scene" trends and music, which came a bit later and is associated with the more outrageous hairstyles and neon colors. scene music also included some shit like crunkcore (brokencyde) and electropop (botdf).

Lip.

/thread

So what you're saying is that mid-to-late 2000's emo was much, much better? That is correct, I agree with you user.

can't believe nobody's posted the "REAL EMO consists only of the DC hardcore scene" pasta yet

He made very clear what his point was, tho