They had no bad albums

they had no bad albums

the first two are good

all of them*

BC Rich guitars are BADASS

I agree

Lmfao

Too much chugging one note very fast on all their albums though. Also Chuck's vocals have always sounded pretty weak and tame relative to others in death metal. And the "progressive" albums weren't even as complex as some of their non-progressive OSDM peers; they often just had a more tonal approach than a primitive chromatic one (which is kinda regressive for death metal and also very cliche considering how Chuck wrote riffs like for example Crystal Mountain's melody being almost a damn generic scale run.)

That being said I agree with the OP that none of the albums are bad. They are just barely mediocre, all of them.

Their first album was pretty bad desu

aight aight agree to disagree, the only one i think was "barely mediocre" was individual thought patterns personally

>elaborate

t. Van Drunen

By your standards almost every single death metal band is fucking mediocre. I do believe Chuck had an ear for catchiness and melody without going full-on meloshit.

It was all over the place. The vocals were terrible.
Just the way the songs were made it just was too all over the place. Also the guitar tone was good awful.

Leprosy is really where they came into their own

God awful*

>the guitar tone was good awful
it has almost the same tone than in Leprosy, what the fuck are you talking about?

I'll give SBG that at least it didn't feature an incompetent drummer and the riffs were pretty thicc with blistering soloing compared to Seven Churches shitty reverby production and performances

>By your standards almost every single death metal band is fucking mediocre
Not at all. Stop listening to shit like Death and Cannibal Corpse.

I don't even like Cannibal Corpse moron, what the fuck do you even listen to? Probably to dissoshit like Gorguts.

I had the first two Morbid Angel albums in mind as they are directly from that scene, they are well known enough to be an example, and those albums don't rely on excessively chugging 16th notes of the same note. You really don't need to go to "dissomemes" (a term that disregards the more interesting aspects of those bands but w/e) for good death metal.

Morbid Angel first three albums are really good when it comes to riff construction/intervals without going full-on wank. But complexity doesn't equal good, if that's what you mean. Dissoshit bands instead rely on atmospheric traits with little variety to cover for unimaginative songwriting. Only a few bands did it well and those are Pestilence and Immolation. Death metal with memorable songwriting was something Chuck Schuldiner excelled, even his vocals needed to be understandable without resorting to generic growly ooga booga to make it feel "evil" (up to Human). Chugging isn't bad if you don't overuse it to the point you are almost groove metal, which I don't think it's the case for Death, except for maybe The Sound of Perseverance. and if we are going to say that it IS bad, OSDM overused the shit out of the tremolo pick which is also easy as hell and not complex at all. Death included. But that's death metal for you.

This is my favorite album

>But complexity doesn't equal good, if that's what you mean
Nope, just that creativity means a lot to me, and the constant reliance on the 16th note chugging same note riffs from Death even once they became progressive is ridiculous. It's lazy. No different to me than it's slowed down version you hear in groove metal and (formerly) mainstream style metalcore.
>Dissoshit bands instead rely on atmospheric traits
Umm...have you listened to tracks like Nostalgia by Gorguts? Or the majority of tracks by Ulcerate? Or the various in song and out of song bits by Deathspell Omega? Or how Demilich does their grooves? It's full of atmosphere and variety. All of these bands have displayed the ability to write in a multitude of different tempos and have been able to write very creative riffs (which, ultimately, if you REALLY pay attention, takes more advantage of extremely complex rhythms/layering of sounds rather than just the dissonance aspect which is what imitators of these bands failed to grasp.) These bands are often labeled "avant garde" for a reason, and it's certainly not because they have zero variety.

Is it problematic that I find Death boring?

This is actually a pretty common opinion among more ardent metal fans.