Is science fiction dead...

Is science fiction dead? If Ex Machina or Arrival are considered "great sci-fi" then I'm afraid the present and future of genre is at a bleak state due to such low standards.

Present some kino science fiction

Have a (You).

OP's don't get (you)'s

>le edgy contrarian thread

Sage goes in all fields

The expanse was good

I think capeshit and NuStarwars has changed the general public's perception of what sci-fi 'is'. There are still plenty of good stories out there, but it's mostly the ones which appeal to the current mindset which are picked up/noticed more.

What is wrong with those two movies? I thought they were great. Not mind-blowingly amazing, but definetly worth a watch.

It was never alive as far as movies go. If euphoric pulp like is the best a genre has to offer it's no great loss. Prometheus was great and Alien: Covenant looks cool too though so there's hope. And New-Godzilla was fun.

Notbings wrong with them hes purely a contrarian

He probably hates Children of Men and District 9

The exact opposite of this post is correct.

btw, wow user. Wow.

Yeah it's dead
Read up on the sad puppies at the Hugo awards

We are too busy being inclusive to write good sci-fi now

Arrival was KINO though

Ex Machina was good too

This might be bait but either way you need to commit suicide immediately.

Sci-fi was always shit
All sci-fi books are truely books for children
Neatly packaged morals in fantasy settings

Except I enjoyed Children of Men. I'm sorta so-so with District 9. Enjoyable film but there was something about the last parts of the film that didn't sit well with me. Shame though cause when I saw it, it showed the director's promise then he suddenly dished out Elysium and Chappie. And now he's said to helm Alien 5.

I liked Sunshine too

How many of your favourite movies are on this chart?

The elaborate Turing test in ex machina blew mind.

Arrival fucking sucked lol
Passengers looks like trash
that Luc Besson movie might be good but only because I love Fifth Element, even then its a bit of a guilty pleasure
the only 'true kino' scifi is like 2001 or something, and that's as kino as it gets
blade runner is good but overrated

all of them, desu

Yeah Arrival had my doubts. Even if I enjoyed the guy's former works like Sicario and Prisoners, I was wondering how he'd do Arrival. That and with the announcement that he was gonna do the Blade Runner sequel, I felt like it was odd he was going for sci-fi.

But after Arrival, he's pretty legit that I have better hopes for Blade Runner 2049 even if it's still in the cautiously optimistic side of things.

this site has rules you know

You are a terminal case of hipster. Consider self-termination.

I can appreciate any of these movie for what it is, and still enjoy Dersu Uzala.

You are the same kind of obnoxious faggot that make any discussion about a movie for its merits completely pointless.

You are as much cancer as the capeshitter, but worse, because you have an empty and undeserved sense of superiority.

End your life now you piece of shit.

What is Sup Forums-approved Sci-Fi Kino, Sup Forums?

I vote for pic related.

Sounds like somebody got a little triggered by that image.

I think this is the wrong site for you. You should Reddit.

>reddit formatting
I don't need to read a single word to know you're worthless. I did anyway though because I'm nice. Now I wish I didn't bother.

Excellent choice, patrician friend.
>Prometheus
>Alien
>Alien3
>Hardware
>Brazil
>THX1138
>Altered States
>Beyond the Black Rainbow
>Jubilee
>Kerberos Trilogy
>Mad Max
>964 Pinocchio
>Tetsuo the Iron Man
>Electric Dragon 80 000v.
>Burst City
>Solaris
>Stalker
>On the Silver Globe
>Royal Space Force
>Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
>The Fury
>Star Trek: The Motion Picture
>Scanners
>Videodrome
Watch these and disregard all other flicks

>kick ass
>not super

People actually watched Super?

>what i don't like is reddit.
Grow the fuck up.

>Ex Machina wasn't kino
you have to go back

low cinema-iq flicklord detected. Go participate in a The Thing thread or something you pleb.

>Prometheus
>Alien
>Alien3

There are put on the same group
"look mom, I know about cinema LOL"

> sentimental shit about follow your dream and be yourself
Oh wow. Ok

>Is science fiction dead?
No.

The movie in the Hipster Pic do not belong together. Some are good for what they are, some complete shit.
A person that uses that image wants to sound cool, but has no tools to actually discern what makes a movie good. Is a wannabe.

Look at this shit.

>Prometheus
>Alien
>Alien3

You cannot put these together. You just cannot.

Also you cannot put Brazil or Tetsuo along with Mad Max.
Drk city is actually good and severely underrated.

like you know what the hell you're talking about

this user gets it at least. Thank fuck I'm not completely alone.

Why can't I put them together. The only unifying criteria were 'good' and 'science-fiction.' Prometheus, Alien, Alien3, Brazil, Tetsuo and Mad Max are all good science-fiction kinos. Go watch Moon or something you psued pussy.

No, you are a clueless, pretentious prick.

and:
If you think that Alien3 is at the same level of Alien (the only good one of the three you abslolute plebs got, by accident or because of memes), and even that shit is miles ahead of Prometheus
>m-muh you don't get it

prometheus is a script abortion. The fact that you put it in the "good" ones means that you two have no tools to even approach the criticism of a movie script.

You are just two clueless 14 y.o. that watch Tetsuo (a visionary masterpiece) because of memes.

Just end your life, possibly with poison or a firearm.

Thanks.

Hey user,

the way

you write

your posts

makes me

think you

haven't been

here very long. Also you have fuck all to say about these movies. You make these huge sweeping statements on controversial topics like they're concrete facts just because RLM said so or something. Why is Prometheus a script abortion? Your aspergic plot-needling isn't an argument, I don't give a fuck about the guys not having a map or the guy grabbing the snake. And Tetsuo isn't a masterpiece, it's funny and cool to look at but Pinocchio is cooler. And The Red Spectacles is the peak of Japanese cyberpunk.

>you are a clueless, pretentious prick.

> only good one of the three you abslolute plebs
> you two have no tools to even approach the criticism of a movie script.
> You are just two clueless 14 y.o. that watch Tetsuo (a visionary masterpiece) because of memes.
> Just end your life, possibly with poison or a firearm.
Well, that was ironic as fuck. Good job

I think I am done here.

And how I type is how I type. Not an argument, and better than many walls one have to endure here.

And DO NOT SAY RLM. I HATE RLM.

You understimate Tetsuo.

A Blade Runner remake should make me uneasy after seeing Robocop and many others reduced to pure shit, but Villeneuve has a perfect record so far including Arrival so I'm hopeful.

I'd be worried as fuck if it was Ridley "Total Hack Back to Back" Scott making it

It's not a remake

You must be a retard to think Alien3 and Prometheus are anything near "almost decent, but actually bad" sci-fi movies.

You invalidate any argument about your knowedgle of cinema.

so fucking overatted. hack director who has outed himself since then thank god.

> missing point of the post so hard

kek all these triggered little bitches.

i bet they're all natural-born too.

No, sorry. The post was
>NO DUDE THIS IS THE GOOD STUFF
and 2 out of the 3 first movies suggested are shit.

I think Sup Forums should stick to capeshit because you people cannot seriously go beyond that.
You just have not the tools.

> still missing

>From the Visionary director of "In Time" and "The Host"

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Sup Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Sup Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it

yaranaika?

>still retarded

Fuck, yo're right. If only we could get some more Niccol's Z-tier turds instead of real movies. Can't wait for "S1m0ne 2.0 - The Upgrade"

Not that user, but you really have poor understanding of the medium you're so willing to discuss continuously typing like a 16 year old that has seen some classics and now thinks he's hot shit. I'd also add from some of the films you have quoted that your taste is also somewhat debatable, but that is just a worthless endeavor, given your overall attitude.

Just stop posting for a while and go watch some films, ok?

>not that user

TV Westworld is unironically one of the best kinos about AI, so no

Is this good?
I need some sci fi or else I'll probably just rewatch BSG

It's really great. And best of all, you won't have to wait an eternity for season 2 as it's coming soon.

No, I am the first user.

You are a kid with shit tastes and some meme.

Lurk more you worthless piece of shit.

>westworld
>kino

pick one

Oh wow you're right, feb 2017
Nice

I don't know for your county, but on mine (belgium), it's on Netflix

Cameron perfected Alien with Aliens. Further proof when Scott performed murder on his baby with Prometheus and the upcoming Alien: Covenant.

>aliens
>perfect

They are not the same kinf of movies.

Alien was a take on a looming threat, while isolation keep growing.

Aliens is a perfect 80's action movie with a zombie thematic cool action-hero scene, embodied by a "Get away from her, you BITCH" in a kick ass exo-skelleton.

bOth are great in their own ways, bu they aren't the same kind of movie.

Alien 3 fail a bit because it doesn't know what it's trying to be but still mange to do most of its stuff good.

Aliens provides a nice arc for Ripley too, with the mom theme and whatnot.

Anything beyond Alien and Aliens is shit.

Alien 3 kinda also shit on what she had achieved in Aliens
>kill all the aliens and the mother queen
>nope, also get infected in cryostasis
>save the little girl
>nope, die in cryostasis

I don't understand why or how those are both 'bad' scifi? they were both kino

obviously you're just trying to be contrarian

You sound stupid

Yep. She has an arc from Alien to Aliens.

For me, the story ends there.

Ex Machina was some tryhard shit. Arrival was alright.

>he thinks there's ever been any kind of consistent posting format

you're a newfag trying desperately to fit in

This is a good contemporary sci-fi Kino, OP

agreed

more than half

also Contact is one of the most underrated sci-fi's

In my country (netherlands) we have torrents on the interwebs.
Then you proceed to put it on a usb and shove that sucker in your tv so you can watch it without having to pay for it.
This is the only way to watch entertainment when you're being made to work for what is equal to benefits.

I agree with most of this but
>prometheus
Somebody needs to explain this shit to me. Is it some sort reverse psychology bullshit ? Do people like this movie just because the pleb is hates it ?

Not him, but I have no issues with this movie. I didn't hate it, but its biggest flaw is how stupid some of the characters act. Also, why the fuck did the escape pod crash? if it's so bad at landing from an emergency escape, then it's a bad fucking design.

And I saw no point in the blonde dying. Someoene called it just a random death and I guess I am going to stick with it.

But one thing that really surprised me was the reaction to the extended cut. I have seen people on this thread going "why didn't they include it, it actually make sense, now" whereas all it did was simply spell out what was already strongly implied and quite clear.

I learned nothing from the extended cut that I didn't consider already quite clear in the first place.

>have no issues with this movie
>proceeds to list issues with this movie

I agree with everything you said, but I still don't understand why people on this board seem to praise this movie.

The flaws don't bother me.

>Is science fiction dead?
Yeah. Movies are a terrible format for sci-fi because you don't have the the time to explore the concepts, they always just end up as stupid action movies with ray guns because that's what the plebs pay to see.

I might agree that it's hard to develop complex technical themes trough limited a time limited medium. But then I could agree that limitations sometimes make for better art to be created. And it has actually.

Are you trying to say that no good sci-fi movie had ever come out ? Or that they don't come out anymore ?

>Art is dead because artists need money to live cliché

It's super corny bordering on cringy and the acting is fucking terrible. The dialogues are some of the worst outside of soap operas I have ever heard. A bit of cool space stuff sprinkled in here and there doesn't make it worth watching desu.
Watch BSG instead if you haven't yet.

>muh spiritual show

Go watch Cowboy Bebop Instead.

This
Cheap af but good plot

>spiritual
Something that is not complete shit on every level except some cgi and accurate portrayal of physics would be fine, thanks.
Expanse and stranger things are, for lack of a better word, the most overrated shows in recent memory.

>when Em realizes that's not her bf

>Expanse and stranger things are, for lack of a better word, the most overrated shows in recent memory.
Now that's just bullshit.

>Something is rated above average by critics
>Enjoys a good deal of fandom
Must be complete and utter shit then, because, like everybody knows, medias lie all the time and sheeple eat it up !

>Everyone won't shut up about how Arrival activates your almonds.
>Figure I might as well go see it.
>They start talking about time right at the beginning of the movie.
>It's all gonna boil down to a dumb time twist isn't it?
>It does.

For a few minutes there I almost thought I was watching an interesting movie, serves me right I guess.

Have to agree, I love Villeneuve, but who the hell wrote Arivial?

Great start, then run a cheap montage to ignore the science parts. Narrated by what is almost a minor character played by a hip actor cast for the monies.

whats the issue about talking with time? it was done in an interesting way and somewhat thought provoking if you arent a capeshit brainlet