50 years ago, you didn't have to go to university to get a job and live a happy life. Today...

50 years ago, you didn't have to go to university to get a job and live a happy life. Today, why is it that if you don't attend university, society deems you as a failure?
Also, why do Americans call university, "college"?

FUCKING GO TO SCHOOL YOU FAGGOT.

No. We call colleges "college" you fucking imbicile.

sauce

I'm not Asian. How am I supposed to enjoy studying?

Just be yourself. Go for trading or honest job and perfected it. You can't change people's mind, but you can change yours.

student loan bubble

government will loan you the money if you're admitted

might need a vpn OP
pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/collegeinc/

You don't have to go to university to get a job you just have over inflated expectations.

Sauce.

Sauce

>50 years ago your labor was competing against your countrymen + western europe

>40 years ago your labor was competing against your countrymen, western europe, + japan

>20 years ago your labor was competing against your countrymen, western europe, japan + eastern europe + korea + taiwan

now we are competing against 1 billion Chinese, 1 billion poointheloos, 1 billion sudacans. Having an education gives you a slight edge against these people in which you can demand more for your labor. There are way less manufacturing jobs in the west because some chinese person will do it for $10 a day. The blue collar jobs in your country pay way less because a mexican or arab will do it for 2/3 the cost.

Vaya limpie caƱos vagazo

I have no education besides mandatory middle school and I work in one of the best paying jobs (salmon breeding) in Norway that don't require 10+ years of higher education and another 10 years as a shit pay intern.

It's not 50 years ago.

Are you a grunt at your work place or are you the boss at location so to say?

Sospecho que es nica

I started university programs 3 times but dropped out every single time because I have severe stage fright and they force you to talk infront of 50+ people.

Thought about using cocaine before oral presentations but I couldnt find any seller.

So now I work a really heavy and really really low paying job that doesnt require a seger and every day of My life is hell.

Grunt. It's hard physical work and occasionally long hours during operations (but on a volunteering ground), but lodging is free and better than my actual apartment on land. On a busy month I make 35k to 45k nok after tax.

The locality boss makes about 700k nok a year before tax. And his bosses makes filthy rich numbers.

That doesnt require a degree*

>The blue collar jobs in your country pay way less because a mexican or arab will do it for 2/3 the cost.

Foreigners don't get licensed as plumbers, electricians, HVAC mechanics, and the like. It's still a white man's world. I earn an upper-middle-class income and I have never been to university

Wew lad. So Whats that before taxes? We always talk in pre taxes salaries here.

You live in a welfare state, your experience isn't applicable to most.

About 60k give or take. I try to avoid only mentioning pre tax since it varies from profession and income bracket and thus don't really show much.

You make about 3x my salary. I know salaries are a bit higher in Norway but damn

I make 22060 SEK pre taxes and ~17500 SEK after taxes. Is there a reason to why your working class salary is that high? Is it a dangerous job?

It is on the sea, and you're always around heavy machinery, from ships to cranes to grinders etc. Many have lost fingers and such when they've been careless. But as an industry it's one of the wealthiest and fastest growing sectors, only beaten by oil, so it trickles down to even grunts. I work 2 week shifts, one week off which I go back to my city. A typical pay in Norway as grunt in other sectors is 20-25k nok, while managers get 30-35k nok after tax.

Pic related, just took it. I live alone (not local so I have no house nearby) on one of the most high tech floating bases of the sector.

what is it like to live on a floating base in the north sea? is it cold as fuck? do you sleep in a bunk bed with other guys? are you phoneposting or can you bring computer?

Takk

Its nice. I have my own room, nobody else sleeps here unless there's a 24/7 operation or other reasons for someone to be here over the night, so after workday they sail back to the island and go home (they're all locals). I'm phoneposting but I have a computer with me, and the base got wi fi. It would be perfect for a hikki since only way here is by boat. Usually there would be at least two other people here today, but due vacation etc I'm the lone man this weekend. Naturally some responsibilities fall on me as an unwritten deal for being here 24/7. I get up at 0600 to start the systems to feed fish, check around the base, fix stuff etc. But I can write it up as paid hours or use it to get more days off so I'm happy with it. Weekend pay is 200% more per hour anyway.

It's actually nice. The temp is around 18-20 degrees Celsius lately.

Thanks for the answers dude your job sounds quite interesting. Many people with degrees (this user included) end up in offices or buildings and are disengaged and disconnected with nature so I am a bit jelly of your lifestyle. You probably eat a fuckton of fish haha

>50 years before
>happy life and unqualified labor
Only in Europe and US, though it wasn't happy at all.

Off seasons (2 years raising, then 6 months with nothing to let the ocean floor heal up) I work in the army, and most of my contracts with them is office jobs as technician, quartermaster, ops planning etc. While I like it, i get restless on the last months and wish for more outdoor work again.

But it's good. I get to experience both and build up a yearning for the other. I love animals though so I thrive best brushing salmons and making sure they're happy.