/daily/ - "for real just end it" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQrziYhFIfE&t=6s
pastebin.com/00MP1Bmp
torqpercussion.ca/two-two
youtu.be/TX0CLLiVAnw?t=4m20s
tate.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/peter_saville_joy_division_unknown_pleasures.jpg
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Prank Calls/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hello friends, can anybody direct me to a link for the new twin fantasy?

Henlo the jazz album daily, I am skiing in the alps what are some nice snowy albums

lads.... help a yammer out tbqh

youtube.com/watch?v=CQrziYhFIfE&t=6s

hows it goin bubs

>tfw you try a rando album from another side of the world hoping for something you’ve never heard, but it’s just hip-hop tinged pop in a language you don’t speak

>MGMT - Little Dark Age (2018)

I always thought MGMT was closer in sound to Owl City than fans cared to admit, which is to say a commercial hit making machine. I liked some fun songs here and there and found the rest of the repertoire painful. Just like plenty of other people. Even now—and this is a long preamble to admitting this is a good album—songwriting is still one of their weaker points. Most of these song premises are intentionally silly—comically austere during the new wave-inspired numbers, ironically naive and commercial during others—but I think the point is always what’s done to these premises. The sincere moments are always clear like the touching closer, “Hand It Over.”

If you haven’t been clued in yet, the sound this time around screams hypnagogic pop, which has seen a rise in mainstream popularity in the past year or so. This sounds more characteristic of the Los Angeles scene in fact: Ariel Pink, Mild High Club, et al. This isn’t so lo-fi but the aesthetic and production styles are very retro. Massive seas of cheap 80s midi patches. Pleasant infomercial synth tones stretched to the point of disorientation. Think haunted shoegaze. This is also one of the most psychedelic mainstream albums in recent history; don’t be fooled by the 80s veneer. “Days That Got Away” especially is a trip: alien, hazy, liquid tones filter in and out. There’s some common ground between vaporwave, psychedelic pop, and hypnagogic pop that I think is being explored more and more as a trend.
Fuck it, 7.5/10

>Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

It’s pretty clear he’s just messing with us a lot of the time because that’s what he does...stupid tones and voices and ideas for songs. But that doesn’t mean they’re not often immaculately crafted pop songs. It’s liked his idea a lot of the time is to exaggerate these stupid vintage sounds. Take for instance, “I Wanna Be Young,” it’s like the soundtrack to a forgotten 80s b-movie. Not to explain the joke but it’s funny that this creepy nearly-40-year-old man sings a teenage pop song about wanting to be young. So there are layers and its effect is appropriately creepy and nostalgic and sentimental.

And then the other songs aim above all else to be genuinely good. Not that they’re mutually exclusive, but they don’t make the joke a necessity. One of his all time great, sweet, sincere songs, “Feels Like Heaven,” for example, or “Another Weekend.” These leave the lasting impression.
7/10

Days That Got Away and Hand It Over are among the worst songs imo.

Great review though.

Literally my two favorites (:

Thanks though

who did this xD

dbr ee hjPI

Listening to the album for the first time right now

I also made this chart of albums that I have to listen for the 128 album show-off we'll have soon but Neverendingchartrendering is living up for its name and it wont let me download anything

>dbr ee hjPI
thank u friend

and yeah, it's acting up really bad. smaller charts usually work though.

where can i see all the 128 albums wanna listen to what i have missed

Was not expecting this percussion quartet album to have rapping and tape manipulation over vibraphones wtf

pastebin.com/00MP1Bmp

Big Bugs Band - Big Bugs Band is the best one

LINK ME

It's not anywhere online or even rym or discogs, I'll have to rip the CD when I get an external monitor for my old laptop.

hol up
torqpercussion.ca/two-two
track 3

Hello friends I'm here for a quick chart update. Been bad about reviews here cause I'm trying to get back into writing for myself and other sites. Anyway...

Casual is some really dope but a bit generic west coast stuff. Apparently he was part of the Hieroglyphics so it's got that jazzy but also a touch abstract feel. Awesome beats, dude's a solid MC all around too. "Me-O-Mi-O" and "That Bullshit" are tight af.

Roland Kirk was much different than I expected. Definitely had a third stream feel which was cool but it didn't work all the time. Not enough weird instrumental choices imo but "Saxophone Concierto" is crazy good.

Also, if anyone has a DL for that Keak Da Sneak, let me know cause it's been fucking impossible to find.

this is so funky oh god
if you can, rip the full thing of this.

I'm in a weird predicament where I can either:
- wait til I build a desktop this summer
- buy a nice monitor now and then use for desktop later
- buy a shitty cheap dedicated monitor for music/cd ripping
- buy an external CD drive now
The last one is the easiest option but it seems like a waste of money; the 2nd or 3rd one is probably the best but I have to put time and effort in, and the 1st one leaves me frustrated til the summer.
Gah.

make a strawpoll
put your life in daily's hands

god this sounds like the absolute least interesting album in the world

this is interesting

You haven’t heard of it?

Just did my 500th rating on rym!

>comically austere [...], ironically naive and commercial
>Massive seas of cheap 80s midi patches. Pleasant infomercial synth tones stretched to the point of disorientation
>common ground between vaporwave, psychedelic pop, and hypnagogic pop
like how did anyone want to hear that, i don't understand

you're growin up so fast

shame on you

A lot of people like it. Keep reviewing this album you haven’t heard.

what

Don't think about it too much too much

what is "daily thread?"

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

meh no thanks

lol

what?

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Winter In Venice

more like

HEY NOW

i leaked the new TF album yesterday lol

it's pretty good. i especially dig the new version of Bodys

it's a love thing

>dog
>K009@tumbler
neat

not just any dog

Haha, FUCK

these dubs request no swearing please

oh yeah check these

oh yeah? ^

>Brandon Locher - Conversations (Revisited)
Recommended to those hampering for more conceptual prank calls after hearing Disruptive Muzak.
From the artist's bandcamp:
"This newly revisited and extended sound piece consists of a serial chain of phone calls. The first without a response on the other side is recorded. The confused answerer repeating, “Hello? Hello?” is then used to playback in a new call to another randomized receiver. That person’s response is then taped and played back for another confused recipient, over and over again..."
It's amazing just how casual most of these conversations are, and how heated they can become. The tone can build in ferocity over several calls, only to be soothed by one kind soul. In that way, it's fully optimistic, political, and beautiful. In another, it's extremely lonely.
The choice not to separate the different calls by any means was also a good one.

>平沢進 - 救済の技法
I was scared off by hirosawa's earlier solo efforts being to me a less interesting version of p-model, but this record is a showcase that his career was one that continued to grow in a fairly exciting direction. somebody on rym described this as being a techno opera, which is fairly fitting. his vocals sell the entire package.

>John Maus - Love Is Real
turns out the only good hypnagogic pop isn't long psychedelic droney bullshit. thank you, solid hook songwriting.

>Alan Vega / Martin Rev - Suicide
a very useful record. pretty much a poppier version of the group's first outing, as in i can actually see people dancing to this. those familiar with vega's solo work won't find this too surprising. it's equitable to the field's method of isolating the one part of a pop song you like and making that the whole album. this will of course lead to some flops, but the album as a whole is more banger than bad by a larger margin.

what album should i go for next?

ceramic lung

have u really not listened to cosmogramma?

saddle of the increate
just uh get past the first song and keep going

i heard it once i think like 5 years ago. i remember liking it but not much else.
is ceramic lung one of the eastern bloc ones?
i've heard araw's been on some weird shit recently. it's on the chart because it was recommended for my post-internet list, even though all i know them as is a few psych albums and the hotline miami titlescreen fellas so idk what to expect.

yeah I only knew him from hotline miami before listening to this. ended up being one of my favorite 2017 releases
it builds a weird unique atmosphere so well

that entire column has me pretty excited. good things in my future.

ok, here we go

I listened to the new version of twin fantasy and its a fine album. Some songs are great but most sound kinda generic. My guess is that people like the album for its lyrics.

I liked Sun Arraw back in 2013. Good to see he's still making music.

Tim Buckley RIGHT now

What? I don't see that on the chart.

Ys rn

nibba that's kate bush lol

Alright, let me finish Flower Boy

BOI that's mac demarco

thats miles davis u dummy

SILY plz

SILY?

Since I Left You, silly

i went ahead and did you the favor of narrowing down the good albums on the chart. you can thank me later :^ }

bueno mars

Oh I thought that was your top albums chart

Flower boy is fine, I like wolf more and the production is kinda messy. Some lines really stuck with me, like "Do you look both ways before crossing my mind?".

Currently listening to it

Next

Lel

Nice trips

nah, its for

doot

im drowning in mu core lol

boys... just got the news that qebrus passed away a few days ago...

I'm drunk bois, how's it goinbg? Swear to God I thought daily had died for good couldn't find the thread during the day.

Also I swerar that the cowbell in the Murder Mix of You Spin Me Round is the epitome of pop music. Why are people trying to sdo synthpop since?

Kendrick did it first tho youtu.be/TX0CLLiVAnw?t=4m20s

yeah it sucks. was only just really getting into him.

anyone got a large version of this album cover? Been looking for about 20 minutes and I can't find one that is a decent size that has the waveform this small. All the large ones have the waveform super oversized and big :(

tate.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/peter_saville_joy_division_unknown_pleasures.jpg

Highest res I could find

oh, that's nice

could anyone help a fellow user out? pleb in distress

tim buckley

forgot the link to the post fml

Have you heard Flying Lotus - Cosmograma?

career suicide by a wilhelm scream

will give a try, thanks guys

I'm at flight tonight rn and so far it's amazing

I dislike Female voices in music, but this was so amazing I heard it twice. I loved it.

I think they should be seen not heard

best genre
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Prank Calls/

> dislike Female voices in music
how old are you lol

I think there's a Sun City Girls album with that as a secondary genre

>Homeshake - Fresh Air (2017)

This may as well be lounge music. Not necessarily because of stylistic similarities but because it works best as background music, maybe to be played while the party is winding down. Because after listening a few times—both intently and as white noise while I’m doing something else—it doesn’t get better when you pay close attention to the details. It’s not a particularly strong r&b vocalist (that’s ok), the synth tones sound bland and generic (that’s ok too), everything is too sparse and cold and undercooked for its own good. But there are consistently interesting jazzy chord progressions and pop melodies throughout. So put it on while driving to work or whatever; it’s not unpleasant.
5.5/10

>Endless Boogie - Full House Head (2010)

Make no mistake, this band rocks. You must see this band live. I saw them live and true to their name, their set was exactly one song long. It wasn’t some long multi-part prog suite of course. Song is generous too...so is jam. Boogie is just right. It’s all about the groove: a simple riff and kraut-like bass line rolling the music along. Over the course of the hour-long set Paul gives his narration (yes, The Paul Major) the band ramps up the intensity and there are solos riffing off of each other. A bit like the modern day Trad Gras Och Stenar. It can’t be emphasized enough that this is a live experience and it’s about reading the mood and building something off of that. It’s not complex but it needs that, so even these 10-minute studio tracks aren’t quite there. The 23-minute closer is a live recording that gives you the perfect representation, so not surprisingly it’s the highlight. But I can’t fault a studio album for being just that.
6.5/10

I’m jerky boy

Awesome man, so glad you like it!

Extra kings justr started and it's been a religious experience.

Holy shit

hi daily i just finished the greatest work of english literature in history AMA

nice job. it's on my list to get to someday.
I'm reading Theaetetus right now

Nah, I'm just joking. What is it about?

Django Django - Marble Skies (2018)
>indie pop

I'll defend Django Django's first record until the day I die. It's one of the breeziest, catchiest, most plainly listenable pop albums of the decade, with a phenomenal summery vibe and two absolutely irresistable lead singles in "Default" and "Hail Bop". Sadly, the band followed a similar trajectory to so many bands like them, they petered out right after their first record. I haven't heard Born Under Saturn, but this is definitely one of the most uninspired releases I've heard from this year so far. It switches between styles almost on every track, but it does this with little care to consistency. This is a band that does one thing really well—surfy, summery indie pop, and every time they stray away from that sound here they fall into a generic alt-R&B style that doesn't suit them at all. I can't really see myself liking anything else by this band, which is a shame. The anti-Little Dark Age.

0.5+

First Aid Kit - Ruins (2018)
>americana, indie folk

This is pretty enough, yet I can't shake the feeling that it sounds like background music for a History Channel documentary on the wild wild west. For how well-done this is, it always feels like it's trying so hard to evoke these western, pastoral images. It's incredibly self-conscious about this, and as a result nothing about it feels genuine. In its pristineness it's certainly enjoyable, and the vocals are top notch.

2.0+

(1/2)

>the end and aftermath of WWII in europe
>a guy with a fetish for rockets
>how to make a rocket whose approach you can only hear once it's already landed
>an investigation into how literally everything that's ever happened ever is a conspiracy

take your pick

i gotta read more of those greeks but jeez are they a slog to get through sometimes
pynchon has a rep as being difficult to read but in terms of reading for pleasure i'd take dense fiction over the average philosophy book any day of the week