Best prog bands

best prog bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2VxA2YwR2k0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go straight to Magma.

Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Rush, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine, Zappa, Camel, Caravan, Can.

King Crimson is god.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer are one of the best.

>prog

>No EL&P

Kansas is pretty good for yank prog too

Whoever took that picture is a complete ass

I like Pink Floyd

It was me.

>t. quasimodo

In the Woods...
youtube.com/watch?v=2VxA2YwR2k0

Modern prog I mostly listen to Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree and Karnivool. Classic prog I mostly listen to Genesis, King Crimson and Pink Floyd

and from there you can get into the patrician world of avant and brutal prog

Thanks for the modern recs. Too bad Mars Volta is over.

Best prog album coming through

>discount jazz-fusion

>trash taste
At least post your favourite.

I think you meant to post this image user, it's ok mistakes happen

My favourite prog album is probably Foxtrot. It just combines all of the elements of prog I enjoy the most into an extremely relistenable album
Soft Machine is not that good (if you check out jazz-fusion artists from the same time Third seems like a joke). However, I am a fan of the several offshoots of the band such as Robert Wyatt and Gong

I've been looking at the edges of these genres for a while and I just can't get into it. Any frame I should approach these works with to better appreciate them? Should I just learn theory or something?

>if you check out jazz-fusion artists from the same time Third seems like a joke
This is simply not true, and is just a shitty opinion, though I am still curious to hear what specifically you think is better as far as jazz-fusion goes.

Overall with Soft Machine, the musicianship is great and the songwriting is also great but when there is such a heavy emphasis on improvisation and soloing in the music, it is an issue that the improvising members in Soft Machine have an extremely limited vocabulary being restricted to the pentatonic scale in the key, or at the most diatonic harmony

Sounds like you’d have a problem with jazz in general then

How? Jazz musicians actually know how to improvise. By the 70s they have already figured out superimposing chords, chord substitutions and altercations and chromatic concepts to improvising (allowing themselves to express themselves through improvisation much freer and more fluid) while Soft Machine is stuck playing the only scale they know

Well I can’t tell if you’re trying to criticize that album in particular, or their entire catalogue. If you’re trying to say their discography can become stale after listening to everything, that’s one thing but to criticize Third specially doesn’t seem to really make sense. Also in a way your criticisms also seems to contradict your statement that their songwriting is great. And I’m still waiting for better examples of jazz-fusion.

C A M E L
A
M
E
L

It feels autistic, but I've been on a major Camel binge for what feels like weeks now. While other greats like KC, Yes, and Genesis are filled with objectively better musicians and especially singers/lyricists, Camel just feels happier to listen to every time regardless of personal circumstances. With something like Yes for example, it feels like you have to already be on Jon's hippie vibe to really get enjoyment. Camel's instrumentals can be jumped into any time of day or mood.

Lastly, why do people always go recommend Mirage when Moonmadness is so much better?

I enjoy them alot for the manic instrumentals/vocals, complex rhythms and rhythm changes, and the snare heavy style of most brutal prog drummers. A lot of this weirdo prog seems very dirty and disoriented at first but there is a great level of intricacy and complexity that contrasts that and I think that's mostly where it's appeal comes from. It's in a way taking the "cleanliness" away from classic prog and putting a sort of punkish flavor in its place. At least that's how I see it.

I was just talking about Third, but admittedly I have only heard their first three albums. You obviously misread my earlier post because even though the songwriting is great, because they don't know how to improvise and a good chunk of the album's run time is solos, the album falls flat on its face. For better jazz fusion, there is Emergency by Tony Williams, Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, Return to Forever s/t, Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spectrum by Billy Cobham, Black Market by Weather Report, to name a few

The Best Modern Prog Album

That’s all well and good but you seem to be taking one aspect of it (the jazz improvisations, which I will admit are a large, significant part) without considering how it works in the presence of all the other experimental, psychedelic and other rock oriented elements that keep it incredibly stimulating and make it a stand out work. Sure it can fall into the category of “jazz-fusion”, but it’s pretty incomparable to something like Bitches Brew at the end of the day. Still, I guess the improvisations were enough to ruin the project as a whole for you. Shame

user I've been in a terrible mood all day but your post inspired me to revisit some of these genres, and boy am I feeling so much better. I never really had a great listen and never learned how to appreciate them but I just broke through to that, great feel desu.

If you think kansas is prog, leave

Prog is the worst Rock subgenre.

>Still, I guess the improvisations were enough to ruin the project as a whole for you. Shame
Ya, that's pretty much it (and I agree with the rest of your post). Third I guess is just one of those albums that are better experienced if you don't know any theory.
I can't (and don't even want to) make you not like the album, I guess I just wanted to give you my opinions as to why it is not a top prog album

If you like foxtrot, consider checking out brand x. It's phil collins's jazz fusion band and it's super solid

that's a funny way to spell best

[spoiler] still respect your opinion tho [/spoiler]

You said you liked Gong. What specifically about that was enjoyable that Soft Machine couldn’t do for you? Flying Teapot for instance retains the jazz elements. Just executed better in your opinion? Admittedly I can’t tell for certain whether they’re improvisations in that album, but it certainly sounds like they are.

Stationary Traveller is their best album though

you're very welcome. Now enjoy some great music user.

>Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree and Karnivool

If you haven't yet, definitely check out pic related.

>Genesis, King Crimson and Pink Floyd

If you haven't yet, definitely check out Aphrodite's Child's 666