Is there a theory on why this era of rock music completely died, but rap and electronic kept going?

Is there a theory on why this era of rock music completely died, but rap and electronic kept going?

youtube.com/watch?v=elOxNoBh_m0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PtvIr2oiaE
youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk
youtube.com/watch?v=iTFrCbQGyvM
youtube.com/watch?v=e1bA7dNKLtI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYBDefvy78&list=PLjnVfW52UsubEUId66-5FELZQ-EZ-5nCR
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Marketing

Really, it's this. Post-Rock itself isn't that enticing. Unless multiple instruments are used to enhance the pseudo-elegance of a work, any band can easily attempt a "Post-Rock" atmosphere to invoke authenticity in their otherwise mediocre personalities. Heck, I'd argue that rock music in and of itself has lost its luster. To be honest, there's only so many ways to play some heavy, distorted lick and protrude to the world your inner "anger" using as much cryptic clichés as possible before it just gets all muddled and repetitive. That's the whole problem; rock in general has now exhausted its course. Screamo bands aren't an exception. They only fall in its stereotypes instead of relinquishing them, like a druid corrupting a soul only to be vanquished by the razor of centaurs.

Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance at least made emo/post-hardcore more interesting, by combining it with pop and Alt. Rock, sustaining Rock's longevity in the 2000s. Could the same be said for City of Crass Pariahs or Stay-Away-etia? No.

Because butt rock killed rock.

you know who did it

How much you wanna bet rock makes a freak revival in the 2020’s, but ends up sounding like 90’s-style digital hardcore more than anything?

Rock is coming back tho. Rock just needed to stop being so straight white male and needed a lil bit more diversity and now it got that and it's about to take off again HARD in 2018

Boy Pablo
Gus Dapperton
Clairo
Wild Nothing
Frankie Cosmos
Alex G
Julien Baker
Mild High Club
Homeshake
Jerry Paper
The Drums
War on Drugs
The Lemon Twigs
Morrissey
Porches
Gorillaz
Waxahatchee
Diet Cig
Mitski
Alvvays
The Antlers
Rich Brian
Real Estate
Vagabon
Kurt Vile
Cigarettes After Sex
Sophie
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Toro y Moi
Alex Cameron
Twin Peaks
Ducktails
Beach Fossils
Japanese Breakfast
Jay Som
Brockhampton
Sunflower Bean
DIIV
Pale Waves
Mac Demarco
Whitney
Foxygen
Courtney Barnett
Girlpool
Blood Orange
Priests
Sheer Mag
Arctic Monkeys
Alt-J
Rex Orange County
Young Fathers
Mt. Eerie
Title Fight
Yellow Days
Steve Lacy
Grimes
Tame Impala
Pond
Zack Villere
St. Vincent
King Krule
Death Grips
Angel Olsen
Radiohead
Cherry Glazerr
MGMT
Car Seat Headrest

Gibson and Fender stopped paying tithes

Stop posting this list. Seriously, it stopped being funny the second time you posted it and now it’s just annoying.

Yeah, we talked about it 4 days ago....everyone agreed with me & my point about rock's 'tonality'. If you disregard songwriting & all the subgenres of rock.. the sonic range of guitar/bass/drums/vox are pretty much the same.. & consciously or unconsciously we're growing tired of that sound. Electronic music simply has a huge sonic range to play with. you can argue it's all "ear candy" but that's beside the point. Rock is effectivly dead...& the important thing is that's my opinion & i'm right.

Nice image bro what is this 2009
Kill yourself 9gagger

society started hating white chad alpha males which what were most rock bands were made of

(((pure coincidence)))

congrats. you have the intellectual capabilities of a squirrel

Yeah because we're tired of your shit. We dont want your shitty culture forced on us, we just want you to leave us alone you racist fucking pricks. Leave blacks alone, leave women alone, leave latino people alone, leave trans people alone, just keep your mouth shut, go stay in your sports bars and frat houses, and stay the fuck away from us.

"Sour Girl" by Stone Temple Pilots ranked only 88

I have a lot of old Sup Forums images, actually.

Fuck off with this shit list.

It's unironically the biggest rock bands out there right now though. Guess what, rock needed to diversify to get more fans, because newsflash America is more DIVERSE.

I think it's because of how accessible it is to make rap and electronic music. That's not to say there's no merit in it (though maybe less in general).

Creating rock requires a knowledge of guitar, bass, drums and/or other instruments, plus the know how on tracking said instruments.

Rap and electro are mainly beats, that are able to be created on a computer, something that everyone has. That's addressing the common man though.

I think rap and electronic music are also cheaper for studios and record labels to make as well. Thus the incentive to choose that route over rock.

Basically, rock died because people realized that rap and electronic music is generally easier/cheaper to create.

Now whether, mainstream taste has conformed to that occurrence, or that occurrence has formed to mainstream taste, idk.

Just my theory.

And Sup Forums cant change it. Diversity is here to stay.

Actually, there’s a growing rock scene in my area. Most of the bands I’ve seen are made up of either high-schoolers or college students, and they’ve being experimenting a lot with including electronic sampling and some crazy guitar tunings (read: C#, G#, C#, G#, C#, C#).

I guess diverse just means a more colorful palate of shit.

What kind of madman tunes four strings to the same note?

>rock needed to diversify to get more fans

That makes absolutely no sense. You're either a troll or jewing everyone.

Sonic Youth and Branca many years before.

maybe rock just ran it's course after 50 years. Why is that so hard to swallow? No other artform in the last 200 years has stayed culturally dominant for so long in any form resembling it's origins.

People look up to artists they can relate to. Over 50% of America isn't straight white male, so they can't relate to the sound of straight white male suburbia: rock music. Rock needed more musicians from all walks of life to appeal to other markets. It's why no one outside of old white people listen to country or white social outcasts/blue collar folk listen to metal, but hip hop has a listener base of everyone.

Bands from small towns in Arizona, apparently.

like 30% of the artists on that list don't even make rock music. how tf are you going to say fucking clairo makes rock music?

>50% of america can relate to raping, killing, stealing, selling/using drugs, having sex with minors, sexism, racism, classism, materialism, and lack of lyrical thought

damn

Sounds like what Donald J. Trump is doing

just say drumpf u stupid shill

Wait, seriously? There’s a new rock scene in Arizona?
How did I not know about this?

>78030607
>78030627
>78030668
>78030682
>78030694
>78030695
>78030755
>78030761
>78030772
>78030870
>78030893
>78030921
Terrible posts. Read and stop being niggers.

Yeah goym, straight white male rock bands ran its course already, its over. Listen to XXXtenacion instead.

How do you manage to be so retarded and still live

They started later, give it time.

Flag? Or even smaller town?

“Rock culture” in general seems to be getting big there. I recently had to drive through the state to get to a family reunion, and at one point when I had to stop to get gas, I see what looked like a high school kid walk past me wearing a denim jacket with a whole bunch of band patches on it, most notably a huge Def Leppard one on the back.

soy and estrogen

>Incubus - "Pardon Me" not top 10

it started taking itself too seriously, rock died because of grunge, and its audience with kurt cobain.
jazz died when it started taking itself too seriously as well.
soon hip-hop is going to die. it used to just be artists like cyprus hill and beastie boys having fun with the music and producing good stuff whilst not thinking what they were doing was anywhere near the peak of music, now we have artists like frank ocean and sza who take their medium and themselves too seriously and try and attach this aesthetic to their music.
electronic music is here to stay seeing as how it is the most easy to make and is so versatile, however thats just the instrumentation, people dont take "techno" seriously after waves such as dubstep and edm.
but, as trends seem to go, history repeats itself and is often just a rebound of its precursor; rock is starting to come back as a retaliation of hip-hop (with bands such as mgmt, mac demarco and king gizz), its all mostly somewhat ironic and lacks alot of rocks previous merits and so far has just been picked up by alts and people who think their ahead of the curve, but, rock is on its way back, much like fashion with 70's style coming back or with movies and the whole 80's aesthetic coming back.
thanks for reading my blog post. sorry for any inconsistencies or mistakes, i wrote this as ASAP as i possibly could

>rock died because of grunge

you mean emo

Lol Jazz didn't die when it started taking itself seriously it was popular well into the 70's and the best selling Jazz album of all time is Kind of Blue which is modal Jazz.

Jazz died because of a lot of changes in music it couldn't adapt too (like the emphasis on music videos), which formed a feedback loop with a lack of innovation in the field (but guys like Thundercat are changing this).

Because rock music died back around 75 and occasionally an embarrassment of a band like Van Halen through sheer force of autism. Rock is easily the least notable moment in history.

Kill yourself, brainlet. My post was the greatest one in this thread.

I'm hoping for this

it was awful and you're awful

Not even close. This part alone proves mine was the best in the thread.
>"To be honest, there's only so many ways to play some heavy, distorted lick and protrude to the world your inner "anger" using as much cryptic clichés as possible before it just gets all muddled and repetitive. That's the whole problem; rock in general has now exhausted its course."

its an older genre

Rock fan's assertion that their music is manly and held back by the taste of women is the cringiest shit. Yeah you're music that was just a bunch of white teen Brit cucks trying to sound like their black bull heroes and failing miserably sure is manly. Please, sure another stage show where lumpy 130 pound boys with battered faces talk about what great lays they are doing broken renditions of Howlin Wolf riffs.
Jazz outgrew the need for pop culture relevancy, it didn't die it just grew up. The weed rags of rock are in the same hilarious manchild nature as their fans, constantly appealing to artistic legitimacy it never had and yet craving attention from the popular kids. It can't ascend, because there is noting in rock's core worth ascending to, so all that's left is shit like Animal Collective.

The rockist takes solace in the fact they believe that the popular artists of today will be forgotten and laughed at in the future. They believe the 'fad' at the moment will soon be disregarded for a new piece of pop furniture. The rockist takes solace in the fact that the music they love and cherish will always be remembered and loved by many, even after they're dead. But what the rockist dislikes isn't the perceived lack of talent or skill, nor the artists themselves. The rockists are, quite simply, jealous. Jealous that genius artists like Kanye West and Young Thug operate on an entirely different intellectual level to the rockist. The rockist values their albums, but Young Thug is capable of making a great piece of art every week, and does not feel the need to place many of said songs in an outdated album. The rockist is also unable to think in terms of new technology, seeing DAWs (digital audio workstations) as a lack of skill and insulting to the revered guitar. They despise musical visionaries like Grimes, who are capable of writing entire albums just by herself, again, another skill a rockist is unable to pick up or learn due to their own ignorance. The fact Grimes is female also leaves a bad taste in the mouths of rockists, who are generally male, heterosexual, and listen to so called 'masculine' musicians. What the rockists hates, you see, isn't the music, but knowing the fact that they'll never be successful. They can have a $1000 guitar and $3000 amp set up with a premium 1966 Gibson Les Paul, they may even be able to do a 'sick' solo. But they know, deep down, it's irrelevant. No one wants to listen to butt rock or dad rock anymore. Rockists are jealous at others success, because while Young Thug is making an amazing, thought-provoking piece every week, the rockist is stuck in their room, unable to write a single song due to their lack of songwriting skills.

>rock died because of grunge
nah rock died in the mainstream with post-grunge and nu metal

Is this pasta?
If not, dear God, I don’t use the term “soyboy” since I think it’s a pretty dumb insult, but never have I seen a post so befitting of the term.

electronic started taking off in the 80s and still going strong

age has nothing to do with it

Half that list isn't even rock
and I'm not saying that in a "I don't like it, therefore it's not a part of the genre I like" kind of way
It's just categorically not

grunge effectively created the genres post-grunge and nu-metal. grunge was the asbestos and the rest was the cancer leading to its demise.
>Jazz outgrew the need for pop culture relevancy
this is true, but then in efforts to come back into relevancy it took all the wrong ideas and tried to work on them, it no longer became about the intricacies but rather the ""talent"", which is why we dont have any mingus' or coltranes any more. only kamasis.
jazz is definitely not dead, but its not the giant it used to be. and its not like music videos or the general zeitgeist killed it, it was its inability to remain and fun and creative genre, much like with rock, funk or disco. now we only have new music which likes to sample or allude to these musics because it is what's popular in music today, by todays music standards TPAB is jazz, thundercat is funk and mumford and suns is rock. its nothing compared to its predecessor but is still categorised as such.
"no"

Are you ok, man?
You get enough (You)s?

t. OD on soy

This is probably the most honest answer here. Mainstream audiences don't care what's enticing or interesting, Have you heard what's not the radio recently? It's all slow boring pop music currently. Mainstream audiences mainly care about what they're told they like.

>Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance at least made emo/post-hardcore more interesting, by combining it with pop and Alt. Rock, sustaining Rock's longevity in the 2000s.
Get the fuck out

but At The Drive-In came after Nirvana and were better than Nirvana

dont worry guys, rock will come back in a new form very soon... very soon. Just need to fine a drummer

and? film basically went to shit after star wars where every movie tried filling their screen to the brim with sfx leading to the decline of cinema, yet we still got movies that where great afterwards.
we're speaking generally. remember when every year there would be plenty of albums that were great and really stood out above the rest, now were lucky to get one every few years (such as At The Drive-In)
i drum

So we're finally getting the band back together?

where abouts are you from ?

interesting point, do you like Zach Hill's style? I'm a newb to it but I really admire his sheer wild speed, what do you think about rock-ish music that incorporates the rhythmic complexity of something like jungle, but with drums?

ive always wanted to have a drummer who uses a joy division influenced electronic kit, but with a more aggressive, zach hill/dave grohl influenced style of drumming

fuck yeah we are
aus, sydney
face tat was an incredible listen, and a whole lot of his freestyle stuff is great, but he tends to lose tempo when he drums at such high speeds, drumgasm was interesting for a couple minutes but became stale quickly. i like the idea you put out but i think it would become quite tedious to listen to, one thing that alot of music today forgets about is dynamics
wdym? a drum that sounds like the one used in joy division except faster?

Well I mean of course, there could be dynamics, it doesn't have to be full electronic autism, haha funnily enough I actually live really close to you near Newcastle, hope you do well with whatever stuff you're doing

>hip hop has a listener base of everyone

by your own logic white ppl wouldnt listen to hiphop because they can't relate

aw shit, im actualy doing a whole bunch of shit that has nothing to do with drums, i just know how to play them, im trying some turntablism mashup shit a la pauls boutique.
u been to any concerts lately, mightve seen u at one

i live in wollongong but am moving to canberra in like 3 days. as for the drumming i mean a kit with similar sounds to something like this youtube.com/watch?v=7PtvIr2oiaE (Or any electronic samples) but with a more freeform improvised style of playing. I know little about drums so i just said aggressive because it fits the music i write

well isn't this just a big ol party

melbourne via townsville reporting in

youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk (in case you already dont know them) are sort of the same, same band just minus ian curtis
also
youtube.com/watch?v=iTFrCbQGyvM
youtube.com/watch?v=e1bA7dNKLtI (about an hour and a half in, i could only find the full album, not just the song)
and fugg youre close, im out in a suburb that surrounds campbelltown.
gday cunt

yeah i kinda imagine it like the blue monday drums but instead being played more freely/improvised. How long you been playing drums for btw? Sucks that im moving away or we could have had a jam

I wrote a big thing anonymously a year and a half ago or so but I never copied it anywhere
I’ll try to find it in the archive and post something tomorrow

keep us updated homie

the fishmans one is basically what you just described btw. ive been drummin about a year now, im okay i just need to practice more. sucks man, coulda been mad
this sounds like a coolio read

hey mate

gonna keep this on topic by posting the album that got me back into rock after a few years of delving into electronic/pop/rap/etc, Pile's Dripping. This is imo an incredibly well written album, full of hooks, dynamics, and great lines. Bit of a shame that their later material doesn't feel as well thought out as this.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYBDefvy78&list=PLjnVfW52UsubEUId66-5FELZQ-EZ-5nCR

I'm glad mainstream rock is "dead". Buttrock was awful and I bet a ton of the great rock music we've gotten this decade would have been made worse if there was still a market for more watered down garbage.

givin it a listen cunt, after going down an avant phase, what got me back into rock was noise rock, i loved it because of its production.
which brings me to another on topic point, one of the things that led to the downfall of rock was albini. i brought this up in a thread a while back and everyone disagreed with me because (whilst somewhat true) he "created" the genre.
i use the term "created" lightly because he basically only set the foundation and later went on to ruin the genre. albini's noise rock was over produced to the point where the noise wasnt discordant by any means, and sounded veeerrryyy stale. like i mean, shit, hes most popular album is just a guitar being played through a bass amp, that shit is hardly "NOISE" rock, its just lazy.

One of my fav STP songs.

There is no theory of everything for why it's happened but here's some thoughts.

>Rap and hip hop want to be successful monetarily. Bling etc. Rock doesn't want that. There's a stigma against corporate rock, therefore rap rules top 40.
>Rock has had a few decades more development and albums than rap, they've had a few haydays. Rap is younger and having that now.
>when tweens dance in front of the mirror they dance to rap and hip hop, rock is cucked

But rock still does well, their concerts attest to it, there's just an embarrassment factor for being on the radio or too poppy and corporate.

Rock isn't dead.

It's probably not much more popular in the 60s (Pat Boone and Sedaka), 70s (Bee Gees), 80s (Madonna), and 90s (Destiny's Child and TLC), than it is now.

(I enjoyed the YouTube video.)

This. Douche rock took over after Nu-metal/Pop punk had their moment in the sun, with indie along side it all be it at position lower in the zeitgeist, with douche rock being the mainstay, getting radio and music television focus killing interest and turning off audiences. Time passes and as those Indie bands got older and started to suck, fewer and fewer truly good acts rose to replace them.

It just got less popular to be in a band. How many people you know pick up a jazz instrument and get to cracking on sheet music vs how many people you know wanna dj or rap.

I can probably guess your weight, hair color, and choice of glasses