Which tv version should I watch?

Very interested in getting into star trek. I basically like every sci-fi space exploration type of film or tv show I've ever watched.

So I can't believe I've never given star-trek a chance.

What version of the tv show should I start with? The original series?

I do get a bit annoyed by procedurals. So I'm hoping that they don't follow the same formula for each episode.

Start with TOS. Watch every single episode, from the beginning, in production order. If you don't like it, then come back here and we'll tell you which episodes to skip. When you're done, watch TNG.

Or

Start with TNG. Watch every single episode, from the beginning. If you don't like it, then come back here and we'll tell you which episodes to skip. When you're done, watch TOS.

After you've finished with both TOS and TNG, then it's time to watch DS9.

ok going to do this.

really hoping it doesn't follow the same formula for each episode

I was in your shoes a year ago, I grew up thinking it was nerd shit. fast forward to now when I've almost finished every episode of every series.
I reccomend starting with TNG (jump in season 2 or 3) consider using fan made episode guides.
>I'm hoping they don't follow a formula
welp.. it's not quite law and order but there is a recognizable but vague pattern to most episodes

is there at least character development and growth? Relationships changing and things like that?

Or is it like they just wake up the same day every day and do some new space adventure

DS9 is the show to watch for growing characters and developing plots, but it's best appreciated after you've already watched TOS and TNG so you fully understand the universe that they've built.

to answer you it's not as bad as Law and Order in that way, but is also right. TNG won't disappoint.

So can I start with TNG? i'm pretty interested in that one

Sure, but be warned: A large amount of the fandom considers the first two seasons of TNG to be "mostly bad".

You might enjoy it, but if you don't enjoy it, then don't feel ashamed because you are not alone. Come back here and we'll give you emotional support as you force yourself to watch the bad episodes, or we'll call you dirty names while telling you how to skip the bad episodes.

Start with TNG. Pretty amazing series. Couldn't really get into the original series myself since it always seemed like something that'd be on Mystery Science Theatre, the films with that cast are enjoyable though

The first two seasons are shite, wasn't good until Riker grew the beard

>first two seasons are shite

They are still worth a watch for sure.

Riker grew the beard at the beginning of season two. How can you say that Riker growing a beard made the show good even though season two (which has bearded Riker) was shit?

Watch the show for yourself, don't rely on TV Tropes.

Ok just read the wiki's of the first 2 seasons instead.

good show. thanks guys

No.

I reserve the right to call him dirty names regardless

He has to at least watch encounter at farpoint to get that Genesperg feel

marathoning it as we speak. watching another film at the same time though so its a bit hard

just wait til Picard does it back at you

woah, this is extremely accurate

I am not that guy but I tried watching TOS but had to stop at the episode with the creepy teenager, Charley something. The show is too corny for me and the acting isn't that great.

Well, and I'm a different guy and I can't stand TNG.

TOS is my all-time favorite show.

Let that user to decide for himself.

I only said that because the guy said he would recommend which episodes to skip, I wasn't trying to start anything

This is fine except it doesn't put ENT before the reboots

it does
take a closer look

What do you mean? The reboots are last in viewing order and described as "awful" and "normie" so everything is before them in every sense, as it should be.

dubs confirm Charlie X as skipable TOS episode.

I think starting with TOS is always a bad idea.
The show may seem camp to first time viewers on certain episodes when they clearly were not going for it.
If anything, point him to very stand alone episodes whose events are not brought up earlier in the series or just start with TNG.

voyager is not nearly as bad as people claim it is

there's no good way to hit a woman

what's odd is people talk about how campy it is all the time time but never about how awesome it was inbetween that.

The gorn fight is like known as some campy piece of shit even to people who have never actually seen star trek, that episode itself is actually fucking great and I love the ending of the gorn fight.

>No. No, I won't kill you. Maybe you thought you were... protecting yourself. When you attacked the outpost.
>No, I won't kill him! Do you hear? You'll have to get your entertainment someplace else!

I started with TNG because of this reputation TOS had for being cheesy, camp and bad but I wish I'd known before how good it was, I could have easily started with it.

I think it doesn't really matter what you start with so long as you like it but DO NOT, watch the TOS movies before TOS, they won't mean as much and the TOS movies are the best thing in all of star trek, you really want to maximize your first viewings of them.

>I grew up thinking it was nerd shit
seriously fuck off

Discovery

actually not a bad idea because it will only get better no matter if you choose into darkness or code of honor

Ether start with season 1 TOS or season 3 TNG. Then move on to DS9 when you feel ready and then see Voyager and Enterprise if you want. The movies are also worth watching, especially 2 3 4 and 6

dubs confirm

And yeah, I wish more people gave TOS a chance.

>season 3 TNG
>skipping over some of the best episodes of the show

Oh fuck you reminded me that this shit is being made. I had to look up info on it
>Doug Jones is in it
I guess I'll try and give it a fair chance.

Seriously, is there any chance at all that this series isn't going to be total shit now?

Did you think that Star Treks II, IV and VI were shit?

if it is at least like enterprise level i will watch it

and it's going to be short like 10 ep per season i think so it should be relatively okay

I'll watch it and ask for more, even if it's complete and utter shit

been too long since ST had a series

and what the fuck is this 10 episode shit? give me 5 seasons.

The crystalline entity objects to your post