>gets the lyrics wrong
>mixes it wrong
>sounds like literal trash
>none of the authentic emotion of the original

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-P5aRxFnKJw
nme.com/news/music/nine-inch-nails-149-1326704
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(Nine_Inch_Nails_song)
youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY
youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nice meme

Here's your reply

Memes aside, only friendless edgelords think NiN version was better.

this desu
Even Trent agrees.

as if he had a choice in the matter
He'd look like an asshole if he said he didn't like it

this is my favorite version
youtube.com/watch?v=-P5aRxFnKJw

oh shit that nigga yote on the moon and I missed it? fuck me

What if he meant it?

I unironically like NiN version better. I don't give a fuck about some washed up old fuck covering their song. The music video is also cringey as fuck

Ooooo WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAaaaa

nine inch nails version is far better

original = best

every. time.

nme.com/news/music/nine-inch-nails-149-1326704

>Nine Inch Nails‘ Trent Reznor has revealed that hearing Johnny Cash‘s cover of his song ‘Hurt’ for the first time felt “like someone kissing [his] girlfriend”.

>Reznor added that the 2002 cover matters much more to him than industry accolades like the Grammys.

>Speaking to The Sun‘s Something For The Weekend, the frontman said: “[Producer Rick Rubin] called me to ask how I’d feel if Johnny Cash covered ‘Hurt’. I said I’d be very flattered but was given no indication it would actually be recorded.

>“Two weeks went by. Then I got a CD in the post. I listened to it and it was very strange. It was this other person inhabiting my most personal song. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive.”

nah

Reznor's version is more interesting in literally every way

elaborate

I love how threw multiple hissy fits over the grammies, only to go suck the dick of the academy awards and constantly praise them after being nominated and winning. what a lil bitch

Johnny Cahs took out the odd cords, he made it far more acessible, therefore removing the song's purpose, the static, the cords being put oddly signifies the damage the person feels in the song.

ARE YOU SURE, THIS IS WHAT YOU WAAAANT

#deep

debends how u look at it yo

I'm just saying, Cash's Hurt is much more of a traditional old song with a guitar and a piano while NIN's version is much more interesting. That doesn't mean one is better over other, but I prefer NIN's version, as I feel like it nicely demonstrates how the self-loathing depression feels like, it feels very desperate, shame Cash's version gets all the credit, it's good in its own right, but the way people treat NIN's version like thrash is kind of sad.

Anyway, dunno why I am replying to you seriously since you are baiting me. I hate my life.

because it's strongly his songs. It has so much of him in it, anyone else covering it just feels so disconnected from the emotion in it. It is the perfect representation of how shitty Trent's lifestyle was at the time.

And it's actually sad that it's Johnny Cash's last hit song because it really has nothing to do with Johnny.

He still sings it everytime a show ends. So Trent very much considers it to be still his own song, no matter what he says, if he believed that, truly, he wouldn't play it anymore.

>It is the perfect representation of how shitty Trent's lifestyle was at the time.
I think Somewhat Damaged or Ripe With Decay represented Trent's mind-set much better.

dumb post
He could think someone outdid him but still feel ownership.

I haven't really ever given a shit about Nine Inch Nails, but this song was fucking great. Best episode of the new season, too.

He literally said the song wasn't "his" anymore, the fact he consistently play it kinda contradicts that.

I think Trent, like many, were little bit manipulated by the amazing music video Cash's version had, He himself said he didn't "feel" it until that music video.

sure, during THAT period
but during TDS period, Trent didn't think he could sink any lower. He thought he was at rock bottom. Little did he know, it was only beginning.

>the fact he consistently play it kinda contradicts that.
you got a touch o tha tisms boy

I think Trent was more referring to the mainstream. Now whenever anyone mentions Hurt, people think of Johnny Cash because to the mainstream, it's no longer Trent's song.

Yeah, because chromaticism and dissonance is SOOOOOOO fucking original

I bet this book would make you shit yourself and die from terror, if you actually knew how to read music

That is a good point.
>I bet this book would make you shit yourself and die from terror, if you actually knew how to read music
If only you knew how to post properly.

The distorted guitar in verses, noise loops fuckery, drum parts in choruses. The original has more stuff going on while still keeping the same gentleness.
Also check'd

>If only you knew how to post properly

U mad, notheory brainlet?

That's still a really bizarre statement. If we compare the situation to Dolly's I Will Always Love You...
>Elvis was supposed to cover it, would have no doubt turned the song into a worldwide hit
>His team wanted half the publishing rights, she refused cause the song had already "proven itself" to be a hit, in the Country scene at least
>Fast forward to Whitney Houston, makes it a worldwide hit
>Always cordial when people brings it up, makes jokes about how much $ it made her
>Continues to sing it at all of her concerts/is a signature song
I don't know if things were done different in the 70s, but couldn't he have just refused Cash doing the cover when it was proposed to him like Dolly did. Trent obviously wasn't originally comfortable with the idea

Trent also at the time was very much so lacking in confidence and in his own abbilities, he had just became sober, questioned his relavancy, and suddenly this huge icon asks to cover your song.

I imagine he struggled to say no.

>he thinks that more = better

shiggy diggy doo

I can make this argument work too, look
>He thinks that less = more.

>le disapproving academic
fuck off

I said it's more interesting since there's actually a reason to focus on the song while listening to it.

>oops my song sucks
>better add more shit until it's good
Are you in the Arcade Fire?

doesn't know who philip glass is

Other than the lyrics, melody, and harmony?
Are you one of those production retards that only cares about timbre but doesn't know how to write a song?

>the Arcade Fire

You've yet to explain what makes Cash's version better anyways. For all I know, you know the least about music composition and writing in this thread, because that is how your arguments look like.

>Other than the lyrics, melody, and harmony?
Except that Cash's version is worse in those aspects as well. Not saying Reznor did anything wickedly complicated but it gives the song more emotional depth, like that user said

Also, Trent's vocals seems much more "felt", he whispers and screams and is basically crying out. Cash's delivers a very monotone performance without such range of emotions.

10/10 shitpost.

The Arcade Fire sucks, The Decemberists suck, Broken Social Scene sucks, St. Vincent sucks, all baroque pop mainstream-indie sucks, Pitchfork sucks, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were absolute garbage, the Strokes are completely overrated, the XX was NEVER a good or notable band

I don't think you know what the word "monotone" means, and just because Trent Reznor has borderline personality disorder doesn't mean that I want to hear him have an episode.

>admitting youre a cuck

Of course the edgelord likes NIN better.

I will admit that "monotone" is a wrong way to put it.

Cash was a has-been nobody when the idea came up. Cash has had far more years of irrelevancy than he's had of stardom.

He still had probably a bigger name than Trent or NIN, especially at that time, and from what I've been reading, Trent had respect for him as an artist.

>being this new
Who's better, a band that everyone has heard of and is generally well-liked, or some old dead cowboy fuck whose only hit was a cover, and whose job can be done equally well by Joaquin "JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP" Phoenix?

Trent wrote it.
Cash did a decent version.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_(Nine_Inch_Nails_song)

Leona Lewis - Hurt (New Song 2011)
youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY
3:40

kermit sings hurt
youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU
4:27