So now that the dust has settled, we all agree that TFA was better right?

So now that the dust has settled, we all agree that TFA was better right?

They were equally bad.

>TFA
4/10
>R1
6/10

They're both terrible movies.

>6/10
>terrible

Anything below 8/10 is not worth my time.

>that pilot in the cockpit

MANLETS WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

They're both bad, rogue one is bad on a fundamental level, while tfa works kinda as a film but only kinda and not really that well so it gets a mediocre half-pass half-fail

>They're both terrible movies.
and you have a terrible rating system.
6/10 should at least be something that you like.

DELETE THIS

>IMPLYING WERE MOUSE KUKS

GFY DISNEY

I thought I hated The Force Awakens until 30 minutes into Rogue One I realized that I would strongly prefer to be watching The Force Awakens. TFA was lame and shallow but Rogue One was hardly a story at all.

It's really hard to tell, but R1 is slightly less insulting experience than TFA.

also sage and fuck off

The fuck is up with that pilot to astromech droid ratio?

Would you consider 60% a good exam score?

How is rogue one fundamentally bad?

At least rogue one developed the star wars world and the rebels into something that wasn't black and white. I thought it was interesting

No. And there's already enough threads on Star wars that you could have posted this in.

R1 was pretty entertaining and visually stunning. It happened to be original despite being set 48 hrs before ANH and being stuck with much of the same major characters, ships, and settings. The only major flaw is poor characters.

TFA is a mainline Star Wars movie that was supposed to be more ambitious. It recycles everything from ANH despite having so much more room to present something new. Not even any new starcraft were used despite it occuring some 30 years later. Compare that to the progress in ship design between the PT films and between ROTS and ANH. Even the OT revealed many new craft between films. They had decades to come up with ideas and we just got xwings and tie fighters. The plot of TFA is literally just ANH and they do the death Star plot for the 3rd fucking time. The movie is short and pacing is constantly on the run. They could have used some extra time to actually something new and interesting. But they just phoned it in. The bad guy is Darth Vader down to his attire. His leader is palpatine. Everything that happened in the OT is made inconsiquential because we are right back where everything started. That's a huge dump on the OT and characters. The main character is a bigger Mary Sue than any character before her. In terms of power level the final fight is bs. TFA is easily the worst star wars film, yes worse than the PT

>6/10
>terrible

>also sage and fuck off

>Sup Forums - television and film
>thread about a movie that is showing at the cinema from the biggest franchise in history

How about you fuck off, kiddo

Its not good, but it isnt terrible either

>At least rogue one developed the star wars world and the rebels into something that wasn't black and white. I thought it was interesting
I've never understood how this is seen as an inherently good thing by so many people. Rogue One is fundamentally bad because the cast aren't character, their individual personalities and motivations are all interchangeable. They're all cardboard cutouts motivated purely by circumstance and the only one with anything close to a memorable trait is the robot who I don't think has a single line that isn't a stupid quip.

>visually stunning
t. somebody who looks at their phone during Malick movies.

>TFA is a mainline Star Wars movie that was supposed to be more ambitious. It recycles everything from ANH despite having so much more room to present something new. Not even any new starcraft were used despite it occuring some 30 years later. Compare that to the progress in ship design between the PT films and between ROTS and ANH. Even the OT revealed many new craft between films. They had decades to come up with ideas and we just got xwings and tie fighters. The plot of TFA is literally just ANH and they do the death Star plot for the 3rd fucking time. The movie is short and pacing is constantly on the run. They could have used some extra time to actually something new and interesting. But they just phoned it in. The bad guy is Darth Vader down to his attire. His leader is palpatine. Everything that happened in the OT is made inconsiquential because we are right back where everything started. That's a huge dump on the OT and characters. The main character is a bigger Mary Sue than any character before her. In terms of power level the final fight is bs. TFA is easily the worst star wars film, yes worse than the PT

I agree with you.

It was a fucking slap in the face when a girl who has never used the force, never held a lightsaber or trained as a jedi, can force reach for a lightsaber (overpowering kylos force) and then beat kylo, the dark jedi knight, in combat, is fucking bullshit. Luke can only do babby shit with the force in ANH, finding the right time to fire. He can only barely pull the saber in empire and gets BTFO by vader in his first lightsaber battle. And luke is supposed to be more powerful than rey. Watching Lukes transformation into a powerful jedi was part of what made the OT so great. TFA is a fucking insult to star wars.

Rogue one had no insult to star wars in it. It was from the perspective of primarily non-force users. I think Jyn is the first non-force wielding protaganist in a movie, which is fucking huge.

R1>>>>>>>>>>TFA

They're both kind of samey.
Rogue One doesn't have the routine feel of TFA and has a better story but botches it with a rather glum first half and terrible CGI.

>Rogue One is fundamentally bad because the cast aren't character, their individual personalities and motivations are all interchangeable. They're all cardboard cutouts motivated purely by circumstance and the only one with anything close to a memorable trait is the robot who I don't think has a single line that isn't a stupid quip.

True. But i dont think its as bad as you make it out to be (ie, we do see all 4 characters motivations imo, even if it wasnt especially well), and also, not having great characterization doesnt automatically make a movie terrible. Not all movies require it.

Did saving Private Ryan have great characterization? Its still a good movie.

Im not saying R1 is the best, but people take this too far.

And btw, they show the rebels as not being black and white, through the characters actions.

>Saving Private Ryan
>good movie

nice contrarianism

>at least it did this things that isn't even tangentially related to the quality of any given film and has no bearing on the film unless you've watched 7 other films
Wow rlly made me think... I love rouge won now

don't forget the part where they wiped out like 5 populated planets of people and never broach the fact for the rest of the movie, or the grapefruit yoda ripoff

>terrible CGI.
other than tarkin and leia, what else?

>Wins Best Director Oscar
>bad movie

I love Sup Forums

>did saving private Ryan have good characterization
...yes?
Disney-cucks think saying "bbbbut x movie that had great characterization if you aren't a brain dead retard didn't have good characterization so rogue one must be great!!1!1!" is an actual argument. Also it speaks to their ignorance of how filmmaking and storytelling work; if a movie is good it usually has some form of characterization that's pulled off pretty well, you just don't realize it because you're too busy eating popcorn and cheering in the movie theater to realize it. And of course things can be good even if they eschew characterization, but this is an action movie not fucking Ulysses.
Literally "JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF BRO" thinking

>unless you've watched 7 other films

>rogue one: a star wars story
>star wars story
>not having seen the previous films before this one

Yeah no. Just because the movie is dependent on context from the other films doesnt make it bad. It allows the filmaker to focus on something more specific rather than teaching all the viewers all the shit that 90% of them already know

You never made an argument in the first place dipshit.

> too busy eating popcorn and cheering in the movie theater to realize it.

Well i did this in Rogue one. Not the popcorn and cheering, but i enjoyed myself nonetheless.

The quality of this post speaks volumes on how much of a waste of time it'd be trying to reason with you.

I thought that the argument was implied from my earlier post more or less. The movie has weak characterization and isn't very interesting outside of the opening sequence.

>Saving Private Ryan
>good movie
Not an argument.

That doesnt make it a bad movie. Its a good movie. Not the best in the world, as its made out to be, but its a good movie, you fucking retard.

Rogue one is similar. It had poor characterization yes, and some structural flaws. But i found it and interesting, stimulating and enjoyable experience, and id watch it again. I have good thoughts of it compared to TFA, so in my books its not a bad movie

Weak characterization and 75% of the movie being dull are arguments tho.

>that doesn't make it a bad movie
>it's a good movie
there's a hole in your thinking here which I think needs to be filled if this discussion is going to go anywhere. But considering you found Rogue One to be an
>interesting, stimulating and enjoyable experience
I doubt you're able to.

>I did thing. I didn't actually do thing, but I did another thing.
Okay?

>has no argument or counterpoints
>"yeah well you're so dumb I'm not even gonna try"
Damn the Disney shills are getting good.

movies and exams aren't interchangeable you fuck

TFA is a 5/10 with its story rehashing, but at least I felt sort of invested in the characters. Rey is a Mary Sue though.

R1 is a 3/10. Carried only by its visuals and final heist/battle sequence. It's weighed down by its awkward pandering, one note characters, and wooden lead female hero's acting.

So yes, TFA is a better than R1, but they are both subpar films.

That was my first post ITT. It was an observation. I am not a shill.

But that's wrong. Mike LOVED TFA.

Mike loved the film, while addressing all of its faults, and never gave a numeric score. Sorry about your autism. :(

Mike got hype for a decent new Star Wars film, and his hype blinded him
When your expectations are prequel-level bad TFA looks like a good movie

>but at least I felt sort of invested in the characters
but how?
Finn was unironically the only interesting character because he was a coward and a turncoat.
Even the old cast was boring and one-dimensional

>still has no counterarguments

>but how?

They had histories, interpersonal conflicts, and real emotions.

>Mike loved the film, while addressing all of its faults, and never gave a numeric score. Sorry about your autism. :(
I'm going to explain to you why you're the autistic one:

>Mike loved the film
>TFA is a 5/10
That was easy.

>They had histories, interpersonal conflicts, and real emotions.
Nope, nope and nope.

As you can see nobody has provided you with any counter-arguments because, like I said, the quality of your post was so low it would be a waste of time. Like arguing with a retard. You can take this as a victory if you wish. It doesn't bother me.

>Nope, nope and nope.

Yes they did.

The dust isn't settled until it comes out on DVD and the majority of Sup Forums can finally watch torrents of it

>heh... you know kid, if I didn't feel so bad for you right now I'd probably destroy you
>*sheathes katana*
>but I don't wanna waste the energy
>*teleports behind you*
>see ya around... kid

I would argue that rogue one is slightly worse also because it actively changes part of the plot of ANH

FPBP

TFA was good and had more things that felt like star wars

R1 was entertaining but felt like a feature film of the Star Wars Rebels series

Which characters ?
You said you don't like Rey
Finn doesn't want to go back to jakku and is a comic relief for most of the film
Han Solo is a parody of his old self
Poe has next to no screen time
Kylo is only bad ass until he takes of his mask then everyone laughs

The one edge I give Rogue One is the space battle being up there with Return of the Jedi

>felt like star wars
ahhahaha

Consider that the majority of Star Wars movies are dogshit, why would you want the movie to "feel like Star Wars?"

wait wait..
so people saw the abomination which was TFA, and actually gave them MORE money by paying to see rogue 1??

fuck sake

Once episode 8 comes out, we will forget about Rogue One probably forever

>I would argue that rogue one is slightly worse also because it actively changes part of the plot of ANH
For the better.

nah that sounds like an autistic nitpick someone like linkara would have. The simpler explanation that the "weak point" is so out of reach and impossible to reach they didn't even bother with it makes a lot more sense

>there are actual TFA apologists ITT

Yes. Let's have a shaft that goes straight into the core that blows up from a simple explosion.

Great design. Makes a lot of sense.

Hey guys, I think all Star wars movies besides the original VHS release of the OT suck. Are my opinions the correct opinions?

Anyone know where I can rewatch the last 10 or so minutes of the movie in high quality. shit was cash

it was some fedora shit, it never kept A New Hope from being a classic. It was probably an energy vent and didn't need explaining. It was a good meme anyway.

Ok ill bite

how the fuck exactly did TFA feel like a star wars movie? because id say the complete opposite, actually.

There was no world building or world design, shitty characters, generic desert and forest scenes were the only things which resembled a star wars movie, shit soundtrack, no pace, no sense of scale of the universe when travelling to and from different planets, tfa made a mockery of the sith and turned it into a dumb evil white guys vs melting pot of freedom fighters.

i can only hope youre trolling. it was fucking nothing like a star wars movie. it was a flick and thats all it was

>You said you don't like Rey
I said Rey was a Mary Sue, not that I didn't dislike Daisy's portrayal of the character and wasn't invested.
>Finn doesn't want to go back to jakku and is a comic relief for most of the film
This is oversimplification. Finn had to make the difficult choice of abandoning the whole life he's ever known, and comedy has always been a small feature of Star Wars films.
>Han Solo is a parody of his old self
This is just an opinion? He seemed like a crotchety old man Han Solo, the character is elderly, it's exactly what I wanted.
>Poe has next to no screen time
Still more engaging than every single character in R1.
>Kylo is only bad ass until he takes of his mask then everyone laughs
The actor's funny face has little to do with the attributes of the character.

who is she?

>Parotting that Tarkin and Leia CGI are terrible because using CGI for dead people is controversial and nostalgiafucks can't handle it
That was easily the best CGI to date. How that constitutes "TERRIBLE" is beyond honest comprehension
>All CGI is terrible

The movie was full blown homage to A New Hope and you don't think it felt like a star wars movie?

I do agree that Rogue One explored more star wars world building, but everything else lacked. It was pretty much Return of the Jedi battle after a ton of boring filler.

why do you want a tribute film? that just shows lack of originality

Personally, K2 and the rebels fighting the empire head on were great but the rest just didn't live up to the hype.
The problem I have with the cast is that their motives don't have enough depth to them. It would've been much simpler to just have the cast already part of the rebel alliance and go around doing rebel things, who then run into someone with the death star plans which then leads to ANH. I was particularly annoyed that that rebel leader wanted to kill the guy who DESIGNED IT rather than capture him. Then there wouldn't be casualties in the last battle.

TFA suffers from "this really shouldn't be possible" to "This really shouldn't be fucking possible" but R1 suffers from lack of character intelligence and well made personalities. K2 was relate-able and he was a fucking droid.

>It doesn't feel like a Star Wars film
>It is a tribute Star Wars film

Which is it?

>homage
it was all a blatant ripoff of the original, because Disney knew that retarded normie faggots like you eat that "it's good because I recognize it/understood that reference" shit up

How is Rogue One anymore original? They read the opening crawl of A New Hope and made a 2 hour movie about it...

TFA brought star wars back, it was fine and it set up the new characters and plot for something new in the next two movies.

It was an homage.

>How is Rogue One anymore original? They read the opening crawl of A New Hope and made a 2 hour movie about it...
A 2 hour movie based on a few paragraphs is somehow comparable to TFA copying ANH.

We've reached apologism levels too high to argue against.

Hello Rorschach

It's original because it hasn't been done in the SW franchise. TFA is a copy of ANH. "Space Balls" is an homage to Star Wars. Star Wars does not need to make a 2hr homage to itself.

>new characters and plot
nothing was new about either of these

everything was the exact same as a new hope (down to even the death star trench run scene) just more poorly executed by jew jew hackbrams

they had a new luke, a new tatooine, a new ben kenobi character, a new yoda, a new darth vader, a new sheev, a new deathstar

If that's a homage than homages are shit and shouldn't be praised.

Trust me, I have a ton of criticism for TFA for it's cliche's and over homage of the original series. However, that's not me apologizing for anything. I'm simply saying it was a better movie than R1 and felt more like Star Wars. I gave zero fucks about anyone in R1. When they died, I was just like... alright whatever. I appreciate the dark tone though. I hope that continues with episode 8.

>the dark tone
Why did they blow up 5 or 6 populated planets but not even acknowledge that billions of people probably just died?
There was no dark tone at all (No. Han dying doesn't make it dark.) There was no sense of doom like there was in ANH.

please, blowing up a planet from orbit is not the kind of connection somebody is going to make when compared to main characters dying

also, in ANH, Kenobe felt it. Leia felt it. Tarkin's no fucks given made it dark.

>How is Rogue One anymore original? They read the opening crawl of A New Hope and made a 2 hour movie about it...
What you just described is TFA. It is a blatant ripoff of ANH down to xwings and tie fighters. R1 follows a completely different story. It's the first movie from the perspective of regular troops and people. In addition, it gives us new settings instead of Tattoine, Endorsement, and Hoth. We got a tropical environment. We got a rocky mountain world with a research facility in the rain. We got a sith temple for once. A cyber punk city between two Asteroids. It gave us new craft: imperial transport ships, Crennic's Shuttle, imperial hover tanks, U-Wing, AT-ACT. New storm trooper types.

who the fuck wants that

it was a flick using star wars as a mask to promote itself with cheap elements of nostalgia.

>Characters dying makes for a dark tone
Your threshold is low. Even before the plot leaked, it was obvious they would all die and idk why people are so touched by this. Do you really need a hallmark ending to enjoy a film?

I enjoyed TFA tremendously when I first saw it in theatres. Then I saw it again a couple months later and I got extremely bored. In retrospect, it's a fairly disappointing movie.

Rogue One I enjoyed. That's it. It's not a great movie but it does the job, and it's far from bad.

Everyone wanted it apparently. Did you see the figures?

>figures for a movie being relevant of whether people enjoyed it
If anything, figures for a movie are indicative of whether the previous one in the saga was good or not.
See: TPM & AotC figures.

I said that was a good thing and I never gave a fuck about this movie coming out so I never watched the leaks. Learn to read.

You asked who wanted it. Not if it was good.

Same argument. People didn't want TPM to be the movie that it was, yet it's still the highest grossing star wars ever.

who even cares about the figures?

it's the lego and plastic ships, band apparel, and lighsabers that are the real money makers

Without looking name 3 of the characters in this film.