Was she a decent actress or was she the worst part of the movie? Also The Shining thread

Was she a decent actress or was she the worst part of the movie? Also The Shining thread

Other urls found in this thread:

usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/shelley-duvall-is-unrecognizable-reveals-mental-illness-w450820
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KP4Vh45U0
archive.fo/0ilGP
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why is she so attractive?

47 minutes in I was ready to kill the bitch with an axe myself. Academy Award annoying right there.

Why does everyone hate her performance in The Shinning? I thought she was believable

She was believable I'd say, just annoying at times. It doesn't help that she's a 4/10. Ugly and annoying aren't a good combination for a likable character.

Its just like with Skylar from BB. Amy Gunn portrayed the role really well and reacted to everything believably, but her character was a total bitch so people only remember the character, not the performance

The fact that she's ugly does help.

Some pretty bitch would want double the pay just for being pretty, probably wouldn't be able to act for shit because her looks carry her through her career and we'd be like "what's this hot bitch doing with this ugly fug?".

well I didn't really like the shining but she seemed ok as far as playing her part

Time sucks.
Original Shining best version.

usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/shelley-duvall-is-unrecognizable-reveals-mental-illness-w450820

youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KP4Vh45U0
JUST

>Original Shining best version.

Was there another version?

>she the worst part of the movie?
jack nicholson was the worst part, but she was the 2nd worst part. The shining would have been great without them in it.

I bet anyone in this thread that this retard actually sat through the flick even tho "itt sukked".

didn't realise he said it sucked

From a cracked arcticle I read a while back.

>When it comes to Kubrickian acting marathons, nothing beats The Shining. The shoot was originally scheduled to take 17 weeks, but the director's insane perfectionism stretched it into a full year. Why? Well, remember the classic scene where a horrified Shelley Duvall swings a bat at an insane Jack Nicholson? That moment alone took 127 takes, which, according to Wikipedia, broke the record for "most retakes of a single movie scene with spoken dialogue."

>It also holds the record for "most times an actress secretly wished a director would just fucking die."

>The whole shoot was one hellish year of doing the same shots over and over again. Nobody suffered that year worse than Duvall -- Kubrick's constant screams and demands made her so stressed that her hair began to fall out. She became physically ill from being yelled at too much by Kubrick, which, by the end of the shoot, qualified as a real medical condition.

>Apparently, Kubrick intentionally created a hostile atmosphere toward Duvall (as seen in the Making of ... documentary) in order to get a better performance out of her. How else was he supposed to get an authentic "HELP I AM TRAPPED HERE WITH A GODDAMN PSYCHOPATH" reaction from an actress?

>>hes never seen the made for tv version with the guy from Wings

pleb

What else could possibly be his opinion when 2/3 (wouldn't be surprised if he hated the kid also) of the main characters were the worst part of the movie?.

I doubt the furniture would bring the score up to a 8/10.

Also here's the sauce, it's #10: archive.fo/0ilGP

are you talking about the mini-series?

>actors are the only components that determine if a movie is enjoyable or not

embarassing

Because you're a virgin.

Why are you defending this dude? are you him?.

If so just go ahead and backpedal and give it a 9/10 rating just to pretend you aren't some fucking critic wannabe.

Pleb

Everybody forgets that Duvall would fake exhaustion and illness, because everybody loved Nicholson and she was jealous. So she got her attention that way.

that's my first post in the thread replying to anyone, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument

She looks like my ex, except shelley has better teeth.

>I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument

I never argued that the only elements to be judged/rated in a movie are actors. I never said that or implied that. You exaggerated and told yourself that that's what I implied.

What I implied was that in any given movie the main actors are so vital to the entire movie (they're in pretty much every part) that if you think the main actors are the WORST part I find it hard to believe that you would have any significant appreciation of the film.

He only shat on two of the main actors and that happens to be what this thread is about. I wouldn't be surprised if he let loose and shat all over the budget, director, marketing and fuck knows what else. Even if he thought every other aspect was perfect I doubt he's give it a 5/10.

I'll even for the sake of argument say that maybe he does love this movie I would doubt that on average people who absolutely despise main characters of films turn out to still openly admit they like/love the film.

isn't her being ugly and annoying kinda the point? So you can sympathize more with jack wanting to chop her up. If she was a 10/10 usual hollywood actress it would not work. The film is using the urge every man has to murder their annoying wife to make it disturb you in a deep place

you seem like a big guy, but check these dubs

never seen dubs so unique

o shit woudja look at that!

Shelley Duvall wasn't glam beautiful but she certainly wasn't ugly either, she definitely was more beautiful than bald Jack Nicholson in the movie (who was the sexiest man alive once).

Is it a coincidence that i saw this movie for the first time last night and now there's a thread about it? Ask me anything i guess

Nicholson didn't look any different in The Shining than he did in his previous films, I don't know what you're trying to imply there.

Ugly

She has that weirdo look attractiveness.

Kubrick truly is the best. Also, what he did to Cruise with Kidman while shooting EWS was also quite hillarious.