youtube.com/watch?v=rL5u8nCI8FY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a faggot

some french canadian prick that pretends to not understand pop

>my favorite genre is death metal

what kind of person do you imagine?

this

Someone who wears glasses, vapes, and wears a fedora

unironically this, go to any prog show and you'll see plenty of guys like pic related

>he thinks prog fans are soyboys
most people who like prog are older cause prog was at its best in the 70s
the soyboy genre nowadays is unironically trap

19 year old libertarian who jerks off to Ayn Rand every night before posting on his favorite my little pony forum.

Wait a minute. That face...

A person who have a normal life

stuck up white boy

white male

this
not necessarily soyboys, but depressed (white) comp sci majors who waste their life on Sup Forums

really wish Sup Forums could fuck off for at least like one day

thats funny! :D

Prog is literally the least soy genre to ever exist.

That would be nu-metal, whether you like it or not.

Literally has nu in the title. lol fuck off

not only that if you rearrange the letters you get
TNU-MALE
the T is silent

>prog was at its best in the 70s
Was it though? I find music to still be peaking. I guess prog is too vague of a genre to begin with.

Prog is very much a dead genre in 2018

/thread

It was really only thriving during the 70's, I can only think of two genuine 10/10 prog albums released outside of the 70's.

But user, that's not death metal

prog is a rock genre m8
rock as a whole is pretty stagnant right now
>but what about x
nobody really cares cause Rock is boring now
a band needs to come along to inject some more life into it

By the definition of progressive rock music I tend to disagree. Obviously music defies genre so my taste might just be better than yours.

What about Bubblemath? What about The Psychedelic Ensemble?

>Bubblemath
You just made that up.

injecting life into something would be getting young people to like it again
when every teen wanted to play guitar and play a sold out rock show with his friends we got the best rock music ever made
everyone wants to be a rapper now so we're getting some at least unique rap, not necessarily good
it's real friendo

>young people to like it again
Young people never stopped liking things you dolt.
>when every teen wanted to play guitar
Good, learning an instrument is useless and people learning a few chords doesn't produce good music. Good music comes from composers.

>15 years to make an album
Damn right I wish I made that up. They're way too good for this world

Progressive rock was invented by chads though

>young people never stopped liking things
okay tell me a big rock band that has charted at all based purely on teens adoration of it this decade
>but user 21 Pilots
arent a rock band

>learning an instrument is useless
t. flat no-talent piece of shit

what fucking genres AREN'T for soyboys then

goregrind

Rockabilly

Country

all the bad ones

my friends dad who is basically a fat santa only listens to prog

Your least favorite genres and my favorite genres.

>muh sales
The fuck? That's the beauty of the internet dude. Nobody gives a shit about sales. People are free to watch and listen to whatever they desire. They're no longer forced to listen to low-audio-quality radio stations. They're capable of thinking for their own. Geez old man. Sales? Why are you so obsessed with sales? Music artists doesn't need to be a full-time job. No art needs to be a full-time job and people still create it. Really makes me ponder why you care about sales?

It doesn't take talent to play the song note for note like it was written down dude. It's the equivalent of tracing. In that sense it is useless. And I can't help but wonder why my breast size is suddenly brought into the argument.

Haha joke's on you, prog is my favourite genre and I'm a depressed brown physics major

but do you waste your life on Sup Forums?

>implying you can trace

you're gonna be a code monkey either way

>implying you can't compose
Wow. No need to take it out on me dude.

...yes

Of course, only talentless hacks can play Yngwie Malmsteen songs note for note.
Fuck off, improv is important to music but so is being able to bring a composer's vision to life.

>Why are you so obsessed with sales?
Most Sup Forumstants are teens who get mad that their friends are little to le black people trap and are angery that white rock music isn't popular anymore because their dad's music is the best music. That or they're whiny 18 year olds who are sad indie isn't popular anymore.

They care about sales because it's not really about music, it's about some other autistic search for validation.

you do realize every single composer started by learning an instrument right?
nobody just gets up one day and says
>oh boy I wanna learn the boring part of music

the minute a band releases an album and asks money for it it's about sales

>Of course, only talentless hacks can play Yngwie Malmsteen songs note for note.
Please don't be this much of a meme dude, no one fucking respects Yngwie Malmsteen for anything other than smorcing some technical ability as if that's the only thing that matters.

You have to be really bad at listening to music to care that much about a band's sales

100%, aware of that. Astrophysics these days is just Computer Science: Lite Edition

This so much. I mean, it's nice when an artist you like is successful but it doesn't mean anything in terms of actual music quality.
Hell, weren't The Velvet Underground kind of a commercial flop at first? I'm pretty sure Lou Reed almost quit music to go back to his day job.

lol

>look at me mommy I can play it note for note
Wow. So useful. I'm ironic btw.

But not about living off of it.

I'm confident that's not true. But I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

I mean, to clarify, I really fucking hate Yngwie's music and everything he stands for. But I respect the work he put into getting to his current skill level. He could play circles around (almost) anyone. The nigga would, ironically, work best under an actual composer's wing - but his ego's way too big for that.

>Good, learning an instrument is useless and people learning a few chords doesn't produce good music. Good music comes from composers.
composers start with instruments
any composer you meet probably plays piano

>"look mommy I can improvise!"
>plays The Lickâ„¢ ad nauseum over every chord change
You'd get laughed out of any ensemble with that bullshit. Sometimes you just gotta play the notes on the sheet, other times there's room to noodle and improvise.

I guess my point is more that technical musicianship and compositional ability aren't really related. So while yes, it's cool to an extent to see a guy play fast, playing perfectly and playing well are not the same thing. I seriously have to imagine the people who spout this narrative have never seriously studied an instrument before. No one gives a shit if you cant play all the notes right, at a certain level anyone can. The question becomes can you play all of the songs emotions right, and can you inject your personal style into the song and make it more than the notes on the page. It's why no matter how technically skilled Yngmeme is, I can't respect him at all. His just like another chinese super star pianist who plays Liszt and gets loads of youtube views, while the rest of the classical community mocks them.

my point is still there though? "playing the piano" is such a vague criteria. You need to have a basic grip on the instruments you use in your composition, yes. But you don't need to be a good pianist.

I'm not sure what you're even trying to say at this point. To me it just comes of as a desperate attempt of you trying to show-off to me just how knowledgeable you are despite nothing you say really being relevant to the conversation.
>the lick
Where did I ever mention anything like that? Are you mental?

>You'd get laughed out of any ensemble with that bullshit.
Have you literally ever played with anything other than a classical ensemble?

Cool people

Are you retards fucking serious, soyboys hate prog music and think it's pretentious wank

When was the last time a prog album got BNM on Pitchfork or 8 by Fantano?

>got BNM on Pitchfork or 8 by Fantano?
As a music lover myself am I suppose to know what these eceleb things mean? Please no bully. Just curious. Are these terms thrown around like this unironically?

t. soyboy

t.retard

better a retard than a soyboy

This, Pitchfork gave Lateralus and Frances the Mute a 1.9 and 2.0 respectively. Two of the funniest reviews I've ever read.

Newfag

Idiot

Not a newfag. I just love music. That don't mean I'll go into the kpop general.

I rather be both

How have you not heard Fantano and Pitchfork yet

Bottom-feeders and tourists latch onto publication / celebrity ratings because it allows them to export their critical thinking and shield their own ego from having to make a genuine analysis of the music they listen to. Don't pay them any mind and your tenure will be much more enjoyable.

Moving Pictures and ITCOCK?

If you love music don't use this board. The old charts are good, stick with them.

It doesn't matter who Fantano is because he's irrelevant, Pitchfork hasn't been worth reading in a decade.

What do non-soyboys listen to? Indie pop/rock and hip-hop?

>depressed (white) comp sci majors who waste their life on Sup Forums
fuck

Permanent Waves*

>Release date: 14 January 1980
>Recorded: September–October 1979
doesn't count desu.

How have you not heard of Spooney and Prenoma yet?

How did I do?

>released outside of the 70's.
>Release date: 14 January 1980

fpbp

>not listening to based christian prog
Literally how to spot a prog pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=rL5u8nCI8FY

A 40-50 year old caucasian male with at least two children.

One of those rare, Good Friendo posts

They aren't that rare, people would just rather respond to me goofing around than when I make a good post. I still haven't been able to have a good discussion about the "300 like the Romans" line because everyone would rather shitpost (or respond to shitposts) than respond to well thought-out posts. Very sad state of the board.

>300 like the Romans
What the actual fuck did he mean by this, though?

I can repost my thoughts on the subject if you'd like. It's not as if this thread was going anywhere.

Discipline, Thrak, power to believe,Tool albums, 2000s porcupine tree, Mars volta.

>Discipline
not a prog album, that's art-rock.

This

People here don't like prog because it was never "cool"

I'm here and like prog.

this

Prog was cool, but it just hasn't been 1974 for 43 years now.

Not him, but please do.

Lateralus and Frances the Mute are definitely up there.

>300 like the Romans
Most of the anons who defend this line (CCC hurr) are retarded Stans. It's a good line, however it needs to be looked at in context. It is a reference to the movie 300 while being an intentional mistake. The previous line supports this (They say I'm possessed / It's an Omen) by being an incorrect reference to the movie The Omen (the child is the literal Antichrist, not possessed). Both lines are meant to be intentional misunderstandings of popular culture (one of which is a stylized representation of what has already happened while the other is a stylized representation of what is to come).

Whether or not this fits into a meta-narrative that spans the track / album depends more on your confirmation bias than anything. Kanye seems to have a track record of feeling that his style is being misunderstood. Go figure.