I'm going to Brazil soon and I'll be staying in Rio for a few months...

I'm going to Brazil soon and I'll be staying in Rio for a few months. I plan on soaking up as much of the local culture as possible while I'm there. While I'm excited to explore the famous tourist spots (Ipanema, Big Jesus etc.) I also plan on exploring the more gritty parts of the city to get a comprehensive exposure of the place. I'm also a photographer so I'm interested in taking photos of all aspects of Rio life. To do this I'm going to do some Favela exploration. I don't have a guide but I have a phone with GPS so I'll just use that. I plan on exploring and documenting as much of the Favelas as possible. I know there's some bad Favelas but I have street smarts so I think I'll be ok.

Any tips for a keen explorer?

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&u=https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2017/07/29/rio-chama-exercito-contra-violencia-pela-12-em-10-anos-virou-rotina.htm&edit-text=&act=url
youtube.com/watch?v=OHkB4P5so_0
youtu.be/K4AmbG5M0yA
youtube.com/watch?v=spnH5ynCJvo
youtu.be/iUffmuwMVSo
youtu.be/rKjXLB7_Y6U
youtu.be/J4JBSdzT7y4
youtu.be/Jbj0rTIhQJU
youtu.be/KsUWOT_36zw
g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/noticia/turista-italiano-e-morto-apos-entrar-por-engano-em-favela-no-rio.ghtml
tripadvisor.com.br/AttractionProductDetail-g303506-d12009843-Favela_Tour_of_Rocinha_in_Rio_de_Janeiro-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html
youtube.com/watch?v=8NlLQp2xmZ8
straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-moves-towards-ending-mandatory-death-penalty-for-drugs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't. It's a very dangerous place. You WILL get mugged.

Oh jeez, this is not the first world. Urban exploration is not a thing here user, I wish it was, there are plenty of interesting places to see, but it will get you killed. Street smarts will not help with anything, the criminals standing guard in and around the favelas know every single person that lives in that community and will prevent any stranger from going inside. You will stick out like a sore thumb and be shot and robbed.

I've already got a plan for this. I bought some cheap phones to carry with me so that if I do get mugged I give them my shitty phone and not my good one. I also plan to tan up and dress like I'm poor so hopefully that will act as a further deterrence.

>I also plan to tan up and dress like I'm poor so hopefully that will act as a further deterrence.
You dumb motherfucker. I'll see you on the news.

i think hell be fine

go to curitiba, a white city

Is Brazil that bad? How do you guys survive?

>I bought some cheap phones to carry with me so that if I do get mugged I give them my shitty phone and not my good one

kek, that's actually pretty common. Do this with cameras as well if you're really dead set on doing this bullshit,

only the strongest survive

Is this bait? That is seriously one of the most dangerous things you could do. Brazil is basically the Pakistan of the western hemisphere

Almost a hundred police officers have been killed in Rio since January. The army was brought in because of the diminishing numbers of police and even then there's no effect.

>To do this I'm going to do some Favela exploration
yeah you're dead

translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&u=https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2017/07/29/rio-chama-exercito-contra-violencia-pela-12-em-10-anos-virou-rotina.htm&edit-text=&act=url

HON CRI PAT

If it's so dangerous, why do so many people live there? Surely among the hundreds of thousands of people that live in the favelas and travel in and out every day, they're not going to notice one more walking around. Obviously I'm not going to wander into the notorious gang territory neighbourhoods that will instantly get me killed, and I'm not going to go greeting and speaking to every person I see. I do have street smarts, and I'll try and find a guide if I have to.

HON CRI PAT
>

dude fuck off just don't go to the favelas if you want to live

>why don't poor people just leave lol

Most cities are not as bad like Rio, in São Paulo if you enter a place dominated by some gang they don't give a fuck, but in Rio they will kill you, it's really dangerous and even brazilians make fun of how you get shot in Rio.

HON CRI PAT
>>

I wish good luck to you, as some of the others gringos don't have it

>Surely among the hundreds of thousands of people that live in the favelas and travel in and out every day, they're not going to notice one more walking around.

How tall are you? Do you really think you're going to hide your blinding whiteness by tanning a bit? fucking hell, mate.

Is Sao Paulo safer to go for a gringo? What's there to see? What's the flyover equivalent for Brazil besides the ayy lmao territory of the Amazon?

>higher homicide rate than Rio
But HEY at least you're more likely to be shot by a white man

Why are you trying to scare me? I told you I'm not going to go into the notoriously bad neighbourhoods that are gang territory. Lots of people have gone into the favelas and documented their experiences there. You make it out like it's Syria or some shit, but that's like saying the entirety of Detroit is a war zone. Sure there's bad parts, but that's why you avoid the bad parts. If I have a guide with me who knows the area I don't see what the big problem is. Random gangs aren't going to purposely seek out foreigners and kill them because of the police attention it would draw to them. It's bad for their business.

There are no safe places here. Stay Home, white boy.

We know Australians are notorious trolls and you're just shitposting. No one could be this stupid.

I hope you have a nice, tight white ass.
I'll enjoy raping you.

Yes, São Paulo is safe but it's a business/tech city there cool museums but if you want to relax the beach at north of Brazil are really good, minas gerais is really gold too you can see some cool architecture and art.

>but in Rio they will kill you

Why? What's the point?

>tan up and dress up like I'm poor
lmao you can spot a first world richfag from miles
enjoy the rest of your life as ze pequenho personal bitch

youtube.com/watch?v=OHkB4P5so_0

You're white (presumably), so they'll think you're rich. Thus they'll try and rob you.

youtu.be/K4AmbG5M0yA

I don't get why you think Rio and São Paulo gangs are any different.
Drug dealers want to sell drugs, you're in more danger from "independent" muggers.

Because they don't know if it's someone from another gang or police trying to enter their territory, it has nothing to do with stealing stuff, it's pretty much a war in there.
They will not shot you at sigh but they will tell you to get out or at least show yourself if you're inside a car but since you're gringo who don't speak portuguese you will get shot.

some nice action youtube.com/watch?v=spnH5ynCJvo

youtu.be/iUffmuwMVSo
youtu.be/rKjXLB7_Y6U
youtu.be/J4JBSdzT7y4
youtu.be/Jbj0rTIhQJU
youtu.be/KsUWOT_36zw

So they see a white person, and don't assume it's just a dumb tourist, but either an undercover cop or a rival gang member?

They're not different in being better than the other but in São Paulo one gang controls pretty much everything while in Rio they have tons of gang fighting each other.
In São Paulo they're big enough they don't have to care about random people going into their area and they don't shot random people like in rio but they're both dangerous of course.

I'm sure an australia tourist will stick out.
A LOT.

He's being hyperbolic. Most likely they'll assume you're there to buy drugs.

That's what I mean, so they surely wouldn't assume he's native, would they still kill him? Or 'just' rob him?

white people can be as violent as rio monkeys? i doubt that

Why would they be more inclined to kill a tourist/foreigner than a local? Wouldn't that mean that 1) They're extremely unlikely to be a threat and 2) Draw police attention that they're trying to avoid?

yeah, he is overdoing it a bit
comparing rio to detroit

Kek.
Brazilbros, please keep the board informed if this dumb aussi gets killed or something like that.
I want to know how this ends

>youtu.be/Jbj0rTIhQJU
>that random Union Jack shirt at 1:12

>Why would they be more inclined to kill a tourist/foreigner than a local?
cuz you have money, and if they dont find anything on you, they'l just kill you out of spite.

>They will not shot you at sight
but that's what happened to a tourist from argentina and i think from italy as well. literally take a wrong turn and you are dead

why are you coming here
isnt what you see on tv and Sup Forums about brazil is enough user
today an english tourist was shot

They're not more inclined to kill tourist but you're more likely to not understand something they're saying and they don't have much tolerance.
g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/noticia/turista-italiano-e-morto-apos-entrar-por-engano-em-favela-no-rio.ghtml

Use google translator and read this, two italians enter a favela and the thungs thought they were police officers and killed one of them

Police can't go inside favela, they don't really care.

I don't understand why a lot of gringos want to visit Rio, there's literally tons of better beaches in Brazil and tons of better places with much less violence.
I understand favelas could be cool to walk a look but Brazil is in not a good moment travel to somewhere else.

FUCK WHITE PEOPLE AND FUCK DONALD DRUMPF

What a fucking dumb plan m8. Criminals are way ahead of you and know all your little kid tricks

They watch too much movies. The are so deluded that they think they are going to have an adrenaline-rushing adventure by going to those places. Their first world logic closes them to think about danger much greater than they can imagine.

Anyways, what places d you recommend visiting instead of Rio?

São Paulo it's one of the safest capitals.

But for tourism it's a bit boring if you've been memed into "all of Brazil is like Rio".

Here foreigners are mostly businessmen or exchange students.

It's not that bad desu

It's a famous international city, what's not to love? Yeah I get that there's dangerous parts of the city but you can say the same about anyplace in the developing world. I think a lot of the anons in this thread are trying to scare me with hyperbole. Not every favela neighbourhood is a gang invested, "kill whitey" warzone that you will instantly get shot at the second you walk into. If I have a Brazillian friend to walk through the Favelas with me I will be fine. You can't visit rio and just ignore all the favelas. It's an integral part of the cultural identity of the place.

Sopa de Macaco is a must.

when i visited rio i just went to the beaches and the big statue, it was good enough

What, you think we've invented all those news headlines about tourists getting shot upon entering a favela?

Sao paulo's crime rate is lower than MOST American cities. Maybe not New York and the Midwest but almost half that of Miami, Houston, LA and several times lower than Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Chicago etc....

Only good post itt

Please don't go to the favelas. It's such a bad idea.
There isn't much to see in the favelas anyway.
Don't go there, man. For reals. It's too dangerous for such small payoff.
Btw, what do you look like? Weight, height, skin color, eye color?

Sopa de australiANO.

Fernando de Noronha,Porto de Galinhas (good beaches but expensive north in general have good beaches).
Ouro Preto and Minas gerais in general is really cool for historic Brazil stuff, Foz do Iguaçu is beautiful too.
Of course you have amazon and pantanal if you want to see animals and nature.

So much this. There are lot of better places than this shithole.

If you have someone native to Rio who really knows the city I guess it will be less of problem, just don't go walking alone I guess.
You seem really determined to go, so I can't say much and be careful and always walk with a brazilian and don't follow GPS tons of people get killed by waze sending them to dangerous places.

But Rio de Janeiro is a leftist shithole where everyone loves bandits. Even rich whites ones are leftist monkeys.

m8 tone it down a bit you're 2 obvious

Because Rio is Brazil, and the rest is just Rio's hinterland

>Rio is Brazil

This leftist shithole with crap music, faggotry and degeneracy isn't even 5% of the country.

Lived in Rio for 24 years, never been mugged, robbed or anything of the sort. Just don't be stupid, like going to fucking (hahah, lel) favela exploration. Ghettos suck anywhere in the world, here, it is no different.

Since when do you need to go to slums to see monkeys? Your rich and middle class white looking people are equal degenerate leftist monkeys. Please nuke this city, nothing of value was lost

So much this. Rio nuked = Country way more unified and no more leftist propaganda.

Just dab on them haters

Our criminals simply don't give a shite.

I think he's trying to do that

tripadvisor.com.br/AttractionProductDetail-g303506-d12009843-Favela_Tour_of_Rocinha_in_Rio_de_Janeiro-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

those favela tours really exists

>pay 100 bucks to die

Oh man, only in Rio de Janeiro. You really have very shitty people.

>a hundred police officers have been killed in Rio since January.
Dayum, have any of you guys witnessed shootings or firearms related crime?

>tfw brazilians wont pay me $40 to walk around the industrial area where the crackheads live

Man, you are a islamic state. So you have have no leftists or marxists.

The bandits aren't afraid because muh human rights. Communists ruined our laws. They made them soft as fuck.

So should I just go on a favela tour instead? Can I take pictures?

Reminds me of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=8NlLQp2xmZ8

This country is fucking awesome.

In one state we have favela lovers which the rich/midclass parts of the city votes heavily on leftards so favelas can contiue to exist and live their "Bohemio"(read: lazy) lifestyles. (Rio)

On other state the rich/midclass votes on "right-wing" politicians and favelas being bulldoze'd down are a common sight. People there really want to develop. (São Paulo)

Not to mention the south, centerwest and southeast countryside with their cowboy/country culture. And finally northeast and north with their strong cultural influence.

I fucking love Brazil, even if i want 80% of population to drop dead.

Actually we do have them, what we have is parallel court sharia and secular. Sharia court handles islamic cultural law and nothing heavier than 2years jail while all non muslim are subjected to secular laws.
Brainwashed leftists and marxists are on the rise in recent years, they even complained the military is evil for denying the burial of commie leader who caused decades of insurgency over here.
All my friends in military and police are complaining about being held back by muh hooman rights while the leftists live in guarded community and ignorant of the necessity of harsh actions.
Last time police launched nationwide crime crackdown they complained 'scared of police in black uniform'.

For example just yesterday
straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-moves-towards-ending-mandatory-death-penalty-for-drugs
In less than a decade or two I'm sure their kids gonna grow up into meth addicts.