Protagonist gets himself killed over a suit

>protagonist gets himself killed over a suit
>other character has his father literally tell him exactly how he is going to die halfway through the season
>stupid fucking railway subplot that took multiple views to understand

Why was S2 so terrible? Did HBO just get lucky the first time around?

>vince vaughn was the main protagonist
what?

It was rushed. Season 1 took years to get right.

this user has it right, season 1 took like 7 years to write

Shit setting compared to season 1

1. Pizzanigga believed that Cary Fukunigga's contribution to the show was vastly overrated. He felt it could be directed like an average TV show, and not like a film, and work just as well because of his writing.

That was wrong.

2. HBO said they pressured Pizzanigga to deliver the scripts way too fast and that everyone knew they weren't as good as they should have been.

3. They didn't have an interesting location OR they didn't have a director who could make the location interesting - It looked like a generic L.A. backlot.

4. More shitty direction - The shootout fiasco should have been an amazing scene. Like D-Day in Private Ryan or whatever - Something to rival Season's 1 shootout. Again, it was handled like regular, boring TV and just came off flat.

5. Focusing on Taylor Kitchsh and the female character. Absolutely redundant and pointless characters that added nothing and just bogged the show down and made it narratively a giant mess.

6. Basically a boring non story, non mystery, non premise.

The first you had two interesting characters that played well off each other, a generic serial killer hunt BUT the weird philosophical and quasi-supernatural elements set in an interesting location and time period. They could have focused on Vaugn and Farrel's characters in a retro border town environment with the illegal workers and then gone with some spoopy mexican voodoo drug saints shit (they even had serial killer satanist drug cartel cults irl) or whatever.

They just bungled it. They had some ingredients in there, and did nothing with them - The local council corruption and Eyes Wide Shut angle...All went nowhere.

Waste of a good Colin Farrell job too.

Next time they really, really, really need to hire a fixed director.

>>protagonist gets himself killed over a suit
Doesn't he have diamonds in his suit?
I thought that was the reason he give it up.

*didnt give it up.

>non-mystery
Principal problem with S2 in my opinion. Even in universe, there was not really much investment into why anyone should care about Caspere and his death.

And Deadwood did 3 seasons in 3 years (or thereabouts). The "it was terrible because he only had a year to make it" excuse doesn't quite hold water when other quality shows are able to be yearly things.

Either ask the studio for more time between seasons like Chase did that time for Sopranos & if they won't give it then nuke the show like the creator of "Tell Me You Love Me" did when she couldn't think of how to continue the series.

But he did neither so season 2 was a piece of shit as a result.

>5. Focusing on Taylor Kitchsh and the female character. Absolutely redundant and pointless characters that added nothing and just bogged the show down and made it narratively a giant mess.

Oh my fuck this.

But Pizza was bitching about being forced to put sex & nudity in season 1 so I guess either On purpose or out of stupidly pretty much every storyline or character backstory involved sex, sexuality or sexual assault but then there was little to no actual nudity to protest season 1 to the point it was clear he was trying to make a statement.

But even worse was Taylor Kitchsh's character. Literally his ENTIRE role can be summed up as "I'm gay and in the closet". He even died trying to cover it up.

How the fuck can people defend that by saying "Pizza only had x amount of time to write the season"?

No country for white men, user.

kill yourself pleb

>stupid fucking railway subplot that took multiple views to understand

Americans are the downfall of cinema and television

pic releated
and this

He got killed over the diamonds in the suit. That was all the wealth he had.

His father didnt tell him how he would die, that was a dream. He was telling himself how he would die. As a guy who was suicidally reckless, it made a lot of sense to his subconscious.

The railway plot was a really great Noir device.

i implore to rewatch s1, it has aged horribly. And the dialogue is incredibly hackneyed and rust's reddit-worthy edgelord shit is forced and melodramatic. Aesthetically it's great (thanks to Fukunaga) and the plot and setting is genuinely interesting.

The ending however is complete garbage, and shows that pizza man never actually had much of a grasp on the material. There was a girls drawing of a man with green ears, and they found out this one man with a loose connection to the murders was painting a house at the same time? Honestly, that is complete garbage.

And the story made perfect sense. It was all wrapped up, you just had to pay attention. If anyone has questions about qhat happened or why, i would be happy to answer them.

im european and i didnt get it either

HBO talked about this. They said Pizzanigga DID want more time. True Detective was conceived as a one and done. The huge reaction meant they pressured him to get another one ready extremely quickly. So that definitely caused problems.

You must have been one of the ones they missed when they started shipping over the retards

uhm in the beginning when bezzarides was in bed with that guy why did she get upset?

His cock wasn't big enough

bullies arent aloud here

I don't think it's the plot being incoherent that was a real problem. It was just...WHY.

Why did they tell a story about a cop who is a homosexual but in the closet (who has no friends or family who give a shit).

Just...dull.

agreed about the finale. that was trash.

>he didn't like the transition of bikecop to gaycop

Get a load of this pleb

He should've bailed then like countless other filmmakers have on different productions.

Same like Peter Jackson should've with The Hobbit. If you go through with it trying to sell something you know is rushed shit to people ya kind of gotta take the blame.

the finale of s2 fucking sucked dicks.
everyone made stupid decisions for emotional scenes and colin farrels character somehow pulled the killer out of his ass.

How to fix Series 3

Set in 1980s
Miami Vice feel
Adam Sandler and Brendan Fraser

Something something muh childhood trauma something

childhood is idolizing S1. Adulthood is realizing S2 is better.

he wasn't the protag though. that was one of the main points id that shiw, there are no protags.

I fully understood everything pizza tried to say with season 2. and yea it was way deeper. but it was a shit show with 2 too many characters and fag cop was a waste.

Caspere knew this

She has some issues with sex addiction. She hates the pride she feels from people telling her she is good looking, probably because of how everyone reacted to her being in the woods with that pedophile. As a result, she's into kinky stuff like watching women get gangbanged.

My guess is that she tried to tongue that guys ass before he woke up.

Ive seen season two six times, so ask me literally anything.

I honestly would like to see Brendan Fraser in the part

Childhood is pushing this meme in every thread

Adulthood is killing yourself

The last three episodes were cut from the same tree that was S2. If you want S1 as S2 see the last 3 episodes of S1.

It's probably the same reason, they didn't have enough time/money to do a good job so they just slapped something together and hoped for the best. You could see all kind of things were built up for in E1-5 but it's very clear that all of it was abandoned.

first time i've ever posted it desu

Why did you torture yourself by doing that?

Many reasons. Because im a sucker for Noir stories, and I really enjoyed trying to figure this one out. The characters were really interesting (except Klisch's). The writing was so tight and packed with meaning, there was almost no lines that could have been cut out without cutting away at the plot, characters and setting.
The music, the mood, the club scenes. I fucking love those club scenes.

what do you eat for breakfast?

Was the death of bikecop the last great moment in American Television?

given the chance, would you sexually abuse bezzerides?

I had never been so indifferent about any event happening on TV. At that point though the show was beyond the "give it the benefit of the doubt" and into "I guess I have to finish this shitty series".

its gaycop, not bikecop. faggot

its also Rest in Peace GAYCOP

Oats, brother.

you and your posts are terrible

no u

It wasn't over a suit you dumb nigger. It was obvious they were going to kill him anyway, they just wanted to humiliate him one last time and he wasn't having it

It was more about the diamonds that he had on him.

s2 is literally >>>>>>>>>>>>> s1 and one of the best pieces of media/art through which you can expose how big a percentage of this board are total plebs

I agree with you!

kys yourself faggot

can you explain why? nope. I hope you die in a fire. you sre so fucking stupid.

tell me why season 2 was better. on any fucking level. even cinematography or lighting. name one fucking thing season 2 was actually better at.

>protagonist gets himself killed over a suit

Quit while you're ahead.

>You must have been one of the ones they missed when they started shipping over the retards

Even if you are rewinding the half-whispered, horribly worded speeches of some of the main characters, you end up basically with two kids and the whole entire charade being over some angry kid getting revenge by sabotaging entire gangs of businessmen, city officials, and mobsters.

It was the most forced, weakly payed off and convoluted story I've ever watched. Ferrell's whisper-rasp shit is hard to watch at times. At least Vince Vaughn has replay value.

>My guess is that she tried to tongue that guys ass before he woke up

HBO took a bullet for Pizzahacko, so they could still use his name as an indicator of "quality" on future projects.

How in the world did it take so long to write a paint-by-the-numbers murder/rape mystery with a (ripped-off) toodeep4u character, which also only had four great episodes and dropped off completely after the fifth?

Man, shut the fuck up.
The most pertinent information around subplots like the railway, Caspere and the diamonds was only dumped on the viewer in the last two episodes.
It was literally impossible to understand everything in one viewing unless you had foresight or a perfect memory.
Total fuck-up on the part of the writing.

S3 should focus on Rust again.
Mcconaughey is still up for it, and in S1 Rust even says that he wanted to be done with the serial killer case before he could "see to some other thing", leaving open the possibility of Rust maybe being involved in some other big case.

So they were tracking a cult of Hastur in S1 right?

> leaving open the possibility of Rust maybe being involved in some other big case.
He´s old, frail, dirt poor, a social pariah and not keen on keeping up false facades; a tired mind wholly consumed by grief over personal and professional losses experienced since decades past. Most importantly, he left the force in a spectacular fashion and vowed never to return.

If you want a "le ebin plot-armed mary sue consulting detective"-show, tune in to Elementary or Sherlock.

>and rust's reddit-worthy edgelord shit is forced and melodramatic.

Pro tip lad: it was supposed to be. Half the time he was just trying to piss off Marty. Sounds like you took Rust's ramblings seriously.

Seriously? Everything out of his mouth sounded 100% serious to me, because he talked so deadpan and dry and gloomy like.

Didn't people accuse Pizzaman of plagiarism? Saying he basically stole the entirety of S1 from some italian novel or whatever

There was way more stuff going on, it's more dense

S1 wasn't that great, S2 wasn't that bad. Pizza is a bit of a hack but both seasons are fun noir pulp that shouldn't be taken so seriously. Audiences just had unrealistic expectations for some reason.

IT TOOK YEARS TO MAKE

>If you want a "le ebin plot-armed mary sue consulting detective"-show, tune in to Elementary or Sherlock.
I don't want that, I want an old, frail, dirt poor, social pariah detective show. Sounds far more interesting by a lot.

Reminder that S1 only got popular once pseudo-intellectual reddipoops found out Pizzakang was ripping off some Hungarian horror writer or something.

>muh king in le yellow

True Detective is literally redit the show.

Because season one was great, dummy

He had 10 million in diamonds in the coat pocket.

>Literally his ENTIRE role can be summed up as "I'm gay and in the closet". He even died trying to cover it up.

this. the dude lived in LA in 2015 and was worried people would find out he was gay. literally nobody cares anymore.
the only entertaining part of the show was all the horrendous overwrought vince vahn dialogue

not RIP in peace. get the fuck outta here

he stole all of Rust's rants, but not the plot

>the only entertaining part of the show was all the horrendous overwrought vince vahn dialogue
Vinceposting truly was the most patrician of memes.

it is sad that vince posting has all but disappeared, and yet bane posting still lives on

>some italian novel
>ripping off some Hungarian horror writer
No, I think he ripped em from Mongolian fairy tales

What did he mean by this?

>The "it was terrible because he only had a year to make it" excuse doesn't quite hold water when other quality shows are able to be yearly things.
Are you retarded? Do you think everyone is equally skilled or operates at their best under identical circumstances?

It's no secret Pizza spent years on the first season. Why you think this wouldn't have any impact on its quality relative to the quickly produced season 2, I've no fucking idea.

Season 1:
>DUDE! The King in Yellow! LMAO! I can't wait to discuss fantheories with my fellow redditors on /r/TrueDetective! OMG I love Lovecraft, haha such a nerd right? xD
Season 2:
>Umm could someone please explain what's happening? Something about Caspere and a railroad? Idk I guess I was browsing on my phone the whole time... why aren't there any cool edgy rants by deep atheist characters this season?

Season 2 of TD is a weapons-grade tvkino pleb filter. And it brought us Vinceposting, the greatest gift of all.

>It was the most forced, weakly payed off and Convoluted story I've ever watched
Is this your first exposure to pulp detective stories?

It's from Thomas Ligotti's book The conspiracy against the human race. And yeah he basically stole word by word from that book and from many more writers.

>True Detective is literally redit the show.

Only because the Pizzaman cant write a script and when he read the book was like "this shit sounds deep , im gonna put it in my script"

Kek

>all kinds of interesting hints (like Marty's daughter tin can sex scene diorama) that lead to theories implicating Maggie and her family as party of the Yellow King cult
>The case is wrapped up easily and the great villain ends up being a retarded fat hick

That pissed me off more than anything. Holy fuck what a disappointing ending. So much more potential and so much buildup that ended up being pointless because it's all spent on a character who appeared for like two minutes in the seven hours that led up to the finale.

>like Marty's daughter tin can sex scene diorama

Whoa, what?

Also, Rust's musings on life and pessimism only sound edgy to people who don't deal with severe depression and anxiety. Believe it or not, there are actually people who see this world as a nightmare that can't be escaped. Ligotti says in Conspiracy that it's possible to wish you'd never been born without being suicidal.