Can we get a Steely Dan thread going? Easily one of the most beautiful bands ever recorded...

Can we get a Steely Dan thread going? Easily one of the most beautiful bands ever recorded, and their mentality fits that of Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggWYeXVbzdY
youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8
youtube.com/watch?v=czWlvH4yI68
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

holy shit fuck off to reddit

This is my favorite by them

my favorite steely dan song

youtube.com/watch?v=ggWYeXVbzdY

why don't you go fuck off and whipe your ass whith your tongue

btw kid charlemagne has one of the best guitar solos ever

Get taste.

great steely dan song, I almost forgot they recorded that one

holy shit fuck off to reddit

I was just about to listen to this, so here
youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

What is there to say about Steely Dan though? My pop never listened to them so I had to discover Pretzel Logic and Gaucho myself, and besides the cheeky lyrics about getting drunk on fancy-pants booze, idk what else there is to say since most of their appeal (at least for me) comes from their raw musical talent and songwriting ability.

Way too fucking polished, it does not age well at all, they made some of the worst pop music of all time

Yeah there's some songs that happened to be great but any band that puts out enough stuff can accomplish that, their great stuff couldn't even fill a mini LP

Literally all their albums up to Gaucho are at minimum a 9/10.

What’s your favorite song by them? Favorite solo or cool chords and harmonies in their songs

See the only problem with it being way too polished, imo, is that it’s so easy to do that nowadays with Protools and all the DAWS out there. Have you ever heard Royal Scam? I think that’s such an amazing album and it’s not as poppy as Aja but has some lines that really work their way into your head. Don’t take me alive is probably the best example of that

where my gaucho bros at? it has grown on me so much, it might low key be their best record

For the record I've listened to all their albums up to and including Two Against Nature so I'm not complaining about them from a perspective of not giving them a chance, I recognize some people like polish regardless of what's underneath it (which is why something like The Dark Side of the Moon can sell any copies at all and be called progressive rock) but for me it's a huge turn-off

That’s fair, everyone’s got a different taste

I like guacho, the first track to grow on me was time out of mind which I’d only listen to on opiates lol

Pretzel Logic is probably my favorite. They're all pretty great though. I use to hate them for being overly polished pop music also but once I actually got around to listening to them it's hard to enjoy their stuff.

gaucho is their best album though

I should have said through Gaucho. I meant to include it.

>releases the most generic rock album of the 70's
heh nothing personnel kid

Oh man I love Steely & Dan

I need to know what Sup Forums thinks of this
youtube.com/watch?v=czWlvH4yI68

Heard my girl listening to it the other day and singing at the top of her lungs. I'm not gonna lie it's my favorite cover right now

Not that great honestly.

>I recognize some people like polish regardless of what's underneath it (which is why something like The Dark Side of the Moon can sell any copies at all and be called progressive rock)
Radiohead would be an example of what you are talking about but you are honestly retarded if you think the production values are the only reason why TDSOTM was such a successful album.

Top 5 songs OP?

Kid Charlemagne
Rikki Don't Lose That Number
Josie
Your Gold Teeth
Reelin in the Years

Not Op, but still.

Sign in Stranger
Your Gold Teeth II
Black Cow
Dirty Work
Bad Sneakers

Picking a top 5 is so hard. I could probably pick like 10 other groups of their songs that I like equally as much.

They never really stuck with me

OP here, it's hard because I love a lot of it but maybe

Deacon Blues
Josey
Peg
Do It Again
Don't Take Me Alive

When I was 12-14 my buddies and I would prank this gay hotline and the waiting music included Josie and Deacon Blues so I have a lot of nostalgia for those two