Threads

I'm not easily affected and I expected this to be bad but holy shit, this is the most devastating thing I've ever watched. Brits make amazing nuclear kino.

What are some movies that pack a similar punch? I'm not talking about edgy shit like Martyrs. I'm talking about movies that are terrifying because of how they deal with things that could potentially happen.

No answer for you OP, but I'd like to also voice my appreciation for Threads. Great stuff.

There's a black and white mokumentary called 'The War Game', I'd also recommend it OP. It's not as heavy as threads, but still a great watch.

Thanks, I already watched it. Very good film with amazing music. The ending killed me, with them pretending nothing is wrong.

That old couple stuck in the house and desperately but pitifully trying to survive like turning on the sink for water is the saddest part

I don't think any movie has or ever will packed a punch like Threads. In a way, I'm glad.

>things that could potentially happen
The Road
Fail-Safe (1964)

How about stuff that has already happened?

Snowtown
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Men Behind the Sun

Henry is why I'll never stop for someone on the side of the road

I remember seeing a few theads over the years where Threads was mentioned and thinking yeah, whatever. Usual Sup Forums recommendation bullshit. It can't be that horrifying ...

I've seen this movie two or three times, and I don't think I've ever actually seen this fucking guy in it.

I watch it up until the nuclear blast and the quick aftermath but I didnt feel anything. did I miss it or is my heart supposed to break later?

Its more about the bleak as fuck ending. It's not played up as an action movie where our heroes race against time to stop the bomb from going off. Its just regular people dealing with the fallout pun intended. At the end of the movie, it's not society rebuilding itself, it's a retard having her radiation deformed rape babby, devoid of emotion or empathy, as the baby just stops crying off camera.
Things aren't going to be OK, things are fucked. It's a post-atomic society suddenly turned into a pre industrialist, pre agricultural revolution world, with absolutely no hope.

For general horrifying shit? The first half of Sleepers has got to be on that list, and Born On the Fourth of July.

That's it? That's underwhelming with how you fags hyped it up.

Come and See

>actors developed ptsd from filming

Why do you watch films when you can't even feel for the death of an entire civilization?

Fail-Safe
The Vanishing
The Hunt

All three of those wrecked me completely and match your description perfectly.

>hyped
There's your problem user. This is why you homos come here in droves winging about things being "overrated." You build up these unrealistic expectations and then somehow get rustled when it doesn't live up to them. Temper your expectations user, you'd be surprised how much better it makes things like movies when you're able to enjoy them for what they are, instead of what you want them to be.

>Come and See
Came to post. I consider myself pretty goddamn hardened, but this one got me.

Other great feel-bad movies:
I Stand Alone
Memories of Murder
Spoorloos
Bad Lieutenant (not the Nic Cage one)
We Need To Talk About Kevin

maybe I am just a pleb cause truman show made me cry

Grave of the Fireflies is harrowing.

Hard to be a god (2014)

>I'm not easily affected
>affected by Threads

Contradictory.

>tfw genuinely think it's one of the best horror movies ever even though it's not really a horror movie

Why aren't there more movies like this?

It didn't make me want to cry. But the whole movie is just one kick in the nuts after another... but because you grew up on movies you keep holding out hope, like maybe her baby is going to be born healthy, and symbolizing that humanity will be okay in the long run... but fuck... shit... nope... just misery and hopelessness for the indefinite future.
I remember reading once that during the cold war, when the government was encouraging people to make their own bomb shelters, and stockpile supplies just in case, that a lot of people didn't for the simple reason that they had no desire to survive WWIII. Better off just being atomized than live in a post apocalyptic hellscape.

>those moans

So was Jane raped or was she just really enjoying getting fucked hard?

Threads sucks. The characters are all super annoying and the ending is stupid as fuck. Watch "The War Game" if you want some real feels.

On the Beach has a real feeling of inevitability about it

Put your phone down.

What do you think I'm watching it on?

True. I think the consensus was to get yourself as close to ground zero, cuddle your wife and kids and hope like fuck for some sort of afterlife or meaning.

Well played user

thanks yifi

>It's not as heavy as threads, but still a great watch.
>shows police executing sick people to save food
>not as heavy

>Fail-Safe (1964)

But what he described is what makes it great and so different from most other movies. You're acting like it's nothing.

>Watch "The War Game" if you want some real feels
This. Threads is great also but The War Game's lack of characters and documentary style makes the horrifying nature of nuclear war more apparent.

Also watch The Day After if you're interested in nuclear war movies, though it's easily the worst of the three.

I watched this because it's been rec'd a lot here. It's z grade trash. Super low budget, shit acting, characters and writing. Laughably bad and one of the worst Sup Forums recs ever.