Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=post-punk
lmgtfy.com/?q=new wave
youtube.com/watch?v=pLfec0nIJ-M
youtube.com/watch?v=QVc29bYIvCM
youtube.com/watch?v=f55KlPe81Yw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

new wave and no wave were scenes in the post punk era
new wave relied more on synths, and melody while no wave was more noise-oriented and anarchistic

lmgtfy.com/?q=post-punk
lmgtfy.com/?q=new wave

youtube.com/watch?v=pLfec0nIJ-M
Are you a Cure head?

>post-punk
i hate my life and everything sucks
>new wave
i'm rather content with life and i'm okay

>post-punk
minor key
>new wave
major key

>post-punk
korg
>new wave
key-tar

>post-punk
black hair dye
>new wave
white/blond hair dye

>post-punk
sing about lost love
>new wave
sing about found love

Blondie (new wave)
Joy Division (post-punk)

new wave is when post-punk cures their depression and tries to play disco or synth-pop

New Wave came from Post-Punk. New Wave is a descriptor for the broad range of popular music that dominated 80s radio.

Post-Punk is a reworking of Punk Rock structure with experimental aspects and varied subject matter.

New Wave was a marketing term for punk, to basically try and salvage blacklisted bands by the record companies, who saw potential in groups like Blondie and Talking Heads. Originally "punk" and "new wave" were interchangeable, but because new wave was used for marketable bands, eventually it was only applied to the poppiest bands in that movement. Then, as the two became distinct, a number of bands focused their aesthetics specifically on the new wave/poppier route.

Post-Punk was literally "beyond punk." While punk was originally open-ended, it became increasingly specific to basically a sped up garage rock sound, and the more art-focused groups, who were more ambitious, were stuck with labels like "art punk" and "post-punk." The post-punk bands developed a darker, more textured and ambitious sound, often with electronics. This, of course, set things up for goth.

In tone, basically, if it's dark then it's post-punk, if it's sunny and poppy then it's new wave. A couple easy comparisons: the post-punk of Tubeway Army vs. the new wave of Gary Numan's early solo stuff, the post-punk of Adam & The Ants' debut vs. the new wave of their later stuff. Also notice how Bauhaus and Visage are actually musically very similar, but their tone places them in different scenes/genres/groupings.

wrong, wrong, wrong
no wave was going on since almost the beginning of punk - Mars formed in 1975, and most of those bands were going by '76. No Wave said that punk didn't go far enough (remember, punk and new wave were interchangeable then). They wanted to push punk into the avant garde, because they saw groups like the Ramones as just conventional rock bands.

There's no connection between no wave and anarchism. If anything, they're philosophically postmodernist, though putting any political labels on them might be a stretch, beyond obviously recognizing that Lydia Lunch is an outspoken feminist.

wrong

see accurate

It's when Paul Welkee started The Style Council

This is early Goth Rock more than anything.

That's moronic to essentially say the only distinction is how happy the song is.

Are you illiterate?

>In tone, basically, if it's dark then it's post-punk, if it's sunny and poppy then it's new wave.

According to that ^ it's:
Sad/Dark/brooding: Post-Punk.

Upbeat/Fun/light: New Wave.

not gonna lie, you're not wrong.

Can we have this style back? Maybe not as gaudy and shit, just toned down. Like the Birthday Party, Joy Division kind.

Some of these kids were pretty effay.

>In tone, basically
>In tone
>In
That means, in that one quality, this is the general difference. I made that specification to indicate that there are other qualities.

It's a difficult topic. New Wave was first related to punk, not post-punk. Both British and American audiences used the word interchangably with punk (along with 'New Pop') but the term caught on more in the US. Most of the American acts like Television, the Ramones, Patti Smith, Devo, Blondie, Talking Heads and so on were pretty heterogeneous musically. As time went on it became more common to describe a certain type of new sounding pop music (bands described as New Wave by record labels were more likely to succeed than those called punk) especially when synthesizers started becoming big. New Romantic bands (except for some like early Dead or Alive belonging to the post-punk camp) and British invasion bands were labelled New Wave.

Post-punk (or 'new musick') was the perceived evolution of bands in the British scene. Siouxsie, Magazine, Cabaret Voltaire and Wire are good examples. Initially it even included industrial and dance music. The criteria for what was post-punk kind of became more strict and guitar orientated with time. The Smiths usually represent the doing-away-with of punk's influence in general and the end of that period, from then on things became segregated into chart music largely influenced by New Wave and dance pop (Wham!) and alternative guitar-revival music (Smiths).

The stereotypes written in this thread aren't necessarily true. Pere Ubu, despite apparently fitting all the criteria for post-punk here, were more likely to be considered a New Wave band than a post-punk one. But then the band looked and sang and where they came from (not British and from Ohio) didn't fit into the post-punk marketing scheme so they got lumped in with New Wave instead.

post-punk is musics
new wave you go to beach and wait for wave and then when it come it new wave

post punk seems to br more emo, whereas new wave seems more synth/electronic based, although i may be wrong.

New Wave is post-punk thing.
Post-punk just means post-70s bands that tried to do something different with the punk formula;

Considering Emo comes from Post-Hardcore, yes.

you're wrong

Yeah, generally happy tones= New Wave
dark tones= Post-Punk.
That's moronic.

I told him he's wrong, you clod.

You don't think that's the tonal difference?
youtube.com/watch?v=QVc29bYIvCM
youtube.com/watch?v=f55KlPe81Yw

Way to make yourself feel better by ignoring 99% of my post, though
fucking retard

It's not though. New Wave is essentially just a poppier,more synth-oriented version of post-punk

Can't make a point without being insulting I see; pity.

The Cure are great at defining both genres

>Post-punk
A Forest
Hanging Garden
Killing an Arab

>New Wave
Let's Go To Bed
The Walk
Just Like Heaven

You insulted me first, you mongoloid. And don't try to make the distinction that it was about the post, you fucking moron.

Calm your tits, calling something in your post moronic isn't an insult, I'm being critical.

Two of those songs are Goth Rock.

I'd say you can break New Wave in 3. First there's the 'guitar pop' kind-of New Wave, basically consisting of bands who combined punk with power pop albeit with a range of other influences to distinguish them from pop punk. The Buzzcocks are pop punk, the Jam are generally new wave with mod influence, the Talking Heads are new wave with funk, XTC are new wave with dub/zolo, Elvis Costello is New Wave with pub rock, etc. Two-tone ska is kinda new wave as well. Note that post-punkers too took influence from zolo, dub, funk, etc. but notably little from power pop. Pop sensibilities present in post-punk were subtler and more likely to be derived from 60's psych (hence its morphing into Neo-Psych and Jangle Pop).

The second kind of New-Wave is the New Romantic style based on the scene in England. It's essentially Kraftwerk-style synthpop meets Glam Rock stylings. Examples include early The Human League, Japan, Ultravox, Visage, etc. Of course some bands don't fit into either of these two like Devo, that's fine.

Anyways you get the third kind-of new wave when Gary Numan and the Human League (in particular) make Synthpop very mainstream. Now you have this top-40 wave where most people playing or taking influence from New Romantic music want to produce the next hit single. Of course this means the music reflects the pop zeitgeist of the time so now you have synthpop mixing further with disco, guitar pop, funk, and/or soul. Artists I'd associate with this include ABC, Spandau Ballet, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Eurythmics,Tears for Fears, Aha, Wham, early Depeche Mode, and more. Note that as New Wave was at the forefront of dance music, it eventually incorporated elements from the electronic underground. New Order and Depeche Mode best represent how New Wave grew through the mid/late 80's. By the decade's end, House and Techno had changed the music scene enough for New Wave to splinter into Alternative Dance or straight up Dance-Pop.

Nice dodge, Weasel.

In the 70s I feel like the terms could be used interchangeably. Even though bands like Talking Heads and Devo were more upbeat and catchy than PiL or Pere Ubu they were drawing from the same sources (60s garage rock, funk, disco, krautrock, or reggae). By the 80s though I'd say post-punk became super dark and mood focused and new wave became synth-driven pop music.

It is coming back its called art hoes UwU

post-punk is what happens when punks say fuck it.

new wave is what happens when punks wanna fuck a keyboard.

new wave is synthpop with world music influence

You're all new

this

This is the first time I've been to Sup Forums in a long while and the first fucking things I see are some retarded child crying about Slipknot having low RYM ratings(and a bunch of people agreeing with him), this thread and a thread calling the first Nine Inch Nails album the most important album of the 80s.

What the fuck happened to this board?

the election/fantano constantly namedropping Sup Forums brought in a huge wave of 15-18 year old normalfags with abysmal taste and reddit tier sense of humour. this whole site is dead, it's sad

That's a bummer, I had some fun times on this board way back when.

Yes, if MGMT stick with it. Little Dark Age has the most hits of any track from the album, so chances are it will spark a trend.