/daily/ - Waking Up Alone edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

previously on m'Daily:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!dR8x3YBS!1IwteBqXbjZNHp8jOuulog
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/u-・ェ・/u-・ェ・/
rateyourmusic.com/~chandlerfx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for myself cuz it's my birthday

Happy birthday!

Dammit now I have re-watch The IT Crowd.

Thanks man, how about another rec, for my lunch hour?

You’re welcome

Mild High Club - Skiptracing
Good birthday vibes, good lunch vibes

This is breddy gud.

Those tags look good to me, thanks man

Happy birthday

Thanks! And thanks for putting Ys on my plate, I think it’s my wife’s favorite thing she heard last year. I dug Feedbacker too, fwiw, so you’re in good shape if that tourney gets resurrected

New CD later today, if you wanna sneak in last minute:
mega.nz/#F!dR8x3YBS!1IwteBqXbjZNHp8jOuulog

Happy Birthday my dude!

Oh cool I forgot about that tourney. Glad you liked them so much.

Happy birthday Comet!

If that tourney doesn't start up again, I'll end up being the only loser

euro daily is nonexistant now ig

what next btw?

check republic dead fox album

?

lukas grygar

oh

Any thoughts on Фoмa or Hartyga?
Do Cambodia, Kytasty, or Halaris soon

>Probably going to spend lots of money on a Steam sale in order to get games I probably won't play
Music for this feel?
Also what's in your wishlist

Heyo thanks frens

games are for children

We are all children of God
Checkmate atheists

This is what happens when you play Fortnite while jacking off every night instead of reading books and going outside.

Implying I don't do both

>comet
>not naming yourself meteor, the goat spell
hbd bub

There's a new sale on? RIP my paycheck.

You're gonna have to back up that statement.

I highly doubt that there's a better post punk album that came out this year than pic related.

Happy birthday my dude!

any portlandfags been here? i go every now and again. used cd selection is usually stocked.
i got tim buckley live at the troubadour for 4 bucks, also starsailor was there for 5
where do you guys shop for music?

phoneposting bcuz pleb

My gf decided to gift me a book about radiohead for valentine's day, it's got facts and stories about each of their songs from pablo honey to httt, very interesting and it also made me want to get hooked on them again

new beach house song is hot, hyped for the record

>live at the troubadour for 4 bucks
jealous af
>where do you guys shop for music?
pic

fish i listened to trawl the megahertz and its good

also i'm not huge on the la la land soundtrack but fuck me Audition is brilliant

If I buy physical, I get it from Bull Moose
I'm from the other Portland

Yee I've shopped there. Smells like pizza

Other Music before it shut down, Academy Records, Rough Trade

There's a lot of others but I mostly go to those

"climate change isn't real because I personally believe all climate scientists are paid by george soros with no evidence" also isn't an argument but that doesn't stop molyneux from saying it :)))

so this... is the power of minimalism...

lol maybe you smelled Anthony's Italian next door?

Yep. I go to the one in Portsmouth

Why don't you guys listen Italian rap?

Never been to that one. I go mainly to the Mill Creek and Portland locations and sometimes to Scarborough.

herb kid and vinter do

>>bday messages
Thanks!
Portland here, don’t buy much music cuz I’m cheap af but when I do it’s everyday music on burnside cuz it’s walking distance from my office, sometimes music millennium

recommend me some music

Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda
Lil Ugly Mane - Uneven Compromise
This Heat - Deceit
Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

could use some >recs

im feelin generous today

Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - Admonishing the Bishops
Bruce Smear - Chlorine
Vaperror - Acid Arcadia
Machine Girl - Gemini (if you haven't listened to it yet)
James Ferraro - Live at Primavera Sound 2012

why do people do this on their rym

>wishlist
>13,248
for what purpose

Soul-Junk - 1956
Sufjan Stevens - Enjoy Your Rabbit
Kel Valhaal - New Introductory Lectures etc

Timeless Wounds - Cerebral Permutation , just because of filth

what u reccing bro

what the fuck

ha ha why did you post this

rec me that gud shit

This one’s actually good
Tropic of Cancer - Restless Idylls
Carla dal Forno - You Know What It's Like

18+ board dude, come back in 5 years

do not talk shit about my record store thx

Tim Buckley - Dream Letter 1968

thanks friends will check these recs

A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide

>Fire Sign
n i c e

Try
Manorexia - The Radiolarian Ooze
The Church - Seance
Ubik - Circadian Rhythm, Sleep Disorder

already like The Church and Manorexia, will look into Ubik, thanks

>already like The Church and Manorexia

I think I get why people like MBDTF so much, even if I don't see necessarily like it that much myself.

Why do people go ballistic about Runaway though? I have never understood it. It feels too long and runs out of steam at like three minutes in and in no way feels justified at nine minutes. The last three minutes are just autotuned breathing into some shitty viva-la-vida strings.

Can someone who digs this song as most people seem to explain its appeal to me?

happy bday comet!

seconding this

also the guy who made the dog album i like a lot released an EP of trap remixes of his own stuff a few days ago btw
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/u-・ェ・/u-・ェ・/
still not sure how to feel about it.

>quasimoto - the unseen
my brother reccommended this to me a while ago and I still haven't listened to it lol
terminal 11 - illegal nervous habits
the deprecation guild - in her gentle jaws

Here are my ratings for February so far. I'm very much looking forward to Maudlin of the Well tomorrow.

I have a question for you, /daily/: How do I become more musically literate? I mean, when I read reviews of stuff (both on RYM and in daily), I read about stuff like weird time signatures, or polyrhythms, or unusual guitar tunings, but I can't discern any of that stuff when I actually listen to music. How do I gain the vocabulary to actually talk about music beyond "I like it"?

Here's a follow up question: Is the pursuit of that kind of knowledge worthwhile for a casual listener such as myself? If I learn some basic theory, will the additional understanding enhance my enjoyment of music, or just my ability to discuss it intelligently? Should I make the effort to learn this kind of stuff, or just keep listening to whatever I think I will like?

Unrelated: I just got a show on my school's college radio. If anyone wants to tune in, I can post a link and time.

dream theater's top 3 albums

>I have a question for you, /daily/: How do I become more musically literate?
you really do not want to know how I became musically literate

btw ive started going slowly through your releases from your discography list
the Absolute Hell collab was kinda eh but I actually like Mama Luigi, makes me want to listen to more noise music. Public Image was my immediate favorite track

>ctrl-f young thug
>0/0

I want more young martha

foof

what a cute name, thank you

:\

:/

yeah expect a mixed bag. i'm still developing lasting styles. glad you're finding things ya like regardless!

My best friend went over my house and he was saying that he watched Haruhi so I asked him who was his favorite character, so then he said Yuki. So I said, "You know I have the same hairstyle as her." He said, "Hahaha, you do, that's fucked up. You look like a total girl. Why don't you just cut it off and get a real man's hair cut?" We both laughed and then I said, "You know with a little work, I could actually look like Yuki for you." Then everything went silent and he gave me a look that could kill. But I just kept going. "Yeah, I could dye my hair, cosplay, and even..." Then I took the glasses from his face and wore them. "I could pretend to be Yuki for you, if you wanted me to."

Then I suddenly realized what I just said to him and stopped talking. It was the most awkward moment ever in my life. My friend just stared with no expression on his face. Then after a few seconds, I made a weak laugh and said, "Yeah. That was pretty gay," then took the glasses off my face, gave them back to him, and we watched TV without talking. Minutes later, he sat beside me and held me close. I felt my cheeks burn. He then pulled down my pants and boxers and rammed his thing inside me while we watched the news. I'll never forget that night.

lemme guess, CNN?

nice

You know I'm starting to feel this David Duke guy.

Breitbart, actually.

That's the right stuff! :88)

Apparently these reviews got stuck in the weird DOOM thread - whatever that was about. So gonna post again icymi.

Also the Keak Da Sneak is impossible to find so I may just skip it or replace i with something else. Rest of the chart is going awesome, here’s some notable standouts.

[1/2]

Betty Davis - They Say I’m Different (1974)

Holy shit this is so good! Betty has one of the most unique voices I’ve heard, she’s got this rugged, almost snarl going on and it’s so… captivating. She had me hanging on every word, even if half the stuff she talks about is straight up freaky and even a bit blunt for my tastes. Betty pulls the style off so well because of her distinct voice and her insane energy. She’s bouncing off the walls here, yelling, screeching and just booming through the project with that awesome raspy tone. Musically, this is just as furious, with a nice Sly Stone / Jimi Hendrix vibe and awesome funk guitar work going on. I couldn’t help but chuckle at the ridiculousness of some of this - “He Was A Big Freak” is such a fantastic track but the whole thing is so over the top. That’s Betty though and here she proves that she’s able to do whatever the hell she wants and make a killer album.

4/5

[2/2]

Nina Simone - Live In Concert (1964)

For some reason, I feel like Nina’s studio approach holds her back a bit. She has some awesome tracks spread throughout the albums I’ve heard but aside from Pastel Blues, nothing has felt super cohesive or stunning like I was expecting. This however, manages to showcase Nina’s charisma, excellent songwriting and presence as a performer. The more traditional earlier tracks in “I Loves You, Porgy” and “Plain Gold Ring” are taken to a new level by her stellar performances but it’s the second half, especially the protest songs that are the standouts. “Pirate Jenny” is probably the best Nina track I’ve heard since “Sinnerman”, it’s so fiery and passionate and touching. Nina even forgets multiple verses on “Go Limp” but it’s still somehow one of the best performances on here, since she’s so charming and witty in her little banter with the crowd. And of course, there’s the amazing “Mississippi Goddamn” which is just pure spite in a track and filled to the brim with this intense political, rebellious energy. The only remotely dull moment on this is the slow paced “Don’t Smoke In Bed” which causes the second side to drag for a second. Otherwise, this is just Nina at the top of her game, doing everything that drew so many people to her music.

4.5/5

runaway fan here, disliked the rest of the album but can explain the appeal
The lyrics appeal to egotists like Kayne, it's like confessional poetry for hedonist assholes that are also deep and sad and emotional. Self deprecation and insertion" the song. Paired with the minimal beats that are different enough to stimulate basic music listeners neurons but not to the point of in-assessablity, makes a rap song that isn't really a rap song for people that don't want to seem like they like rap but that like kanye so their not like simpletons that do.

u drunkposting? bet you didn't even drink craft beer.

>Stirner
>Camus
DROPPED

The ways I have learned theory are taking high school classes, taking private lessons during high school, and taking college classes
There are almost certainly youtube videos and online resources to teach this stuff tho
As far as appreciation goes, I guess knowing music theory increases my enjoyment of music.
There are certain chord changes in songs that sound interesting, I can appreciate when an improviser in a jazz song plays non-diatonic notes, I can appreciate the difficulty that comes with playing certain things such as playing in a strange time signature
Now I don't know how much is related to knowing music theory and how much comes out of me making music and performing in jazz bands through middle and high school

Also understanding how timbre works has enhanced my appreciation of lots of drone, onkyo, and pieces by people like La Monte Young and Charlemagne Palestine

As far as if it would better your listening of music, I have no idea. I've been continually learning music theory since I was 8 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bitch I live in the midwest, I exclusively drink craft beer.

>starting

i have to somewhat agree with you on runaway, the first four minutes are so are bliss but yeah, it really does lose steam.

i definitely think all of the lights, power, gorgeous, and devil in a new dress blow it out of the water.

it's pretty simple actually: learn an instrument. otherwise you won't need any of this and it won't stick to you at all if you don't apply it
keep in mind most reviewers are kind of vague about these things because they're bullshitting, that helps

havent been here in a while, hows yall doin
anyhoo what should i listen to next? pic related is my backlog chart

korn obv

where's the classical and jazz, you literal retarded child?

why make this much effort to show off your profile if you're going to just have super generic Sup Forumscore taste?
rateyourmusic.com/~chandlerfx

this is what being a neet into your 30s does to you

thanks for your input. I was genuinely just curious what people saw in it

still don't get the praise for the last half which is pretty bad

>living in the midwest
>not drinking exclusively pbr
dropped

gorgeous is by far my fav on that album

I took theory classes in hs/college, but honestly anything I learned there is readily available online. Any music theory basics playlist on youtube would be as good of a place to start as any. Also what said isn't necessary, but it does make the process easier.

there's a couple sweets on this
pls start with Common Courtesy, i've had an earworm from that album all morning even though i haven't actually listened to it since last summer. so obviously that's fate

BAd