I've listened to The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Both are amazing albums...

I've listened to The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Both are amazing albums. What flaming lips album should I listen to next?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dx7On1uyVpY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Embryonic is my favorite. I feel like TSB, Yoshimi, and Embryonic display very different aspects of the Flaming Lips sound. Embryonic is jammy, eerie, dark, mystical.

At War with the Mystics is kind of like a lamer Yoshimi with some decent tracks.

My second favorite behind Embryonic is The Clouds Taste Metallic. It's got more of a light-hearted rock-ish feel with a lot of anthemic tracks. It's a little...shrill? Sketchy? in some spots that you learn to love with repeated listens.

Playing Hide and Seek with the Ghosts of Dawn.

youtube.com/watch?v=dx7On1uyVpY

Clouds Taste Metallic is probably my favorite

Side note, fave song ever is abandoned hospital ship. They hadn't played it live in what seemed like 10+ years at least according to setlist.fm, and I saw them two years back and they fucking opened with it
I nearly cried famalam

I'm going to see them on March 10th. What am I in for? How are they (Wayne's voice) live?

Fucking incredible user, by far the best show Ive ever been to.

Yerself Is Steam

They're super fun and the musicianship is there, mostly from Steven, and the crowds tend to be cool, seen em twice

Enjoy!!!!

>I'm going to see them on March 10th
Hey, me too
Wya?

Embryonic and Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs.

Those are their two best, sorry man :(
The rest is enjoyable, still.
I actually have yet to hear Mystics, somehow, though, too....

OP *definitely* check out the Yoshimi B-sides if you haven't. Songs like "Up Above the Daily Hum" & "Sunship Balloons" are awesome (the latter is particularly TSB-sounding), and a track like "If I Go Mad (Funeral in my Head)" gives me chills every time. Stunning work.

Embryonic is overrated, IMO. It is their jammy double album, though, so you can always edit it down to your favorites if need be.

And yeah OP, Clouds Taste Metallic is great. Keep in mind that the first half of their discography can be substantially tougher to get into. Zaireeka is a weird experimental giant of a turning point.

Oczy Mlody is great atmosphere, and is underrated overall. That combined with the faux-live EP ("from on board the International Space Station") was a cool release. The Terror is great as well; but is also a morbid as fuck listen, lol

>Embrionic
>overrated
wew lad

Clouds Taste Metallic (my personal favorite) and At War With the Mystics are great albums to listen to next

>At War With the Mystics
"no"
The Lips are a top 5 band for me but this is not one of their best efforts

At War With the Mystics is really good

Yes but it's the best one to go into after Yoshimi and Bulletin imo

Fair enough
I just much prefer Embryonic and Zaireeka

Also it's got some really good jams on it imo even thought overall it's not a masterpiece

You should just continue chronologically at this point. Listen to At War with the Mystics (which really does have some great standout tracks), then Embryonic and The Terror. Then you should go back and listen to their earlier stuff if you still want more.

Is Wayne Coyne the biggest douche bag in the history of music?
Every snippet I see from every recording engineer, roadie, associated musician, insider blog poster that talks about Wayne Coyne makes it a point to mention what a fuckhead he is. Its kind of astounding.

If you want something that sounds similar, you can go for At War with the Mystics next, but I'd highly recommend heading back to In a Priest Driven Ambulance and working your way forward from there

FUCKING AMAZING. Saw them last summer. When Race for the Prize starts, your mind is going to implode.

There is a release for the B sides of Yoshimi? Or i should check their EPs?

Uhmmm, I believe on the Deluxe version of Yoshimi, it has the bonus tracks from the Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP thing (remixes, Up Above the Daily Hum + If I Go Mad).

Otherwise, if you search for Sunship Balloons on soulseek I believe you should find the same compilation I found of Yoshimi b-sides/remixes/live versions. That particular comp is 3 hours and 19 minutes long!

I found it! Thanks user :)

>tfw ordered a 5.1 CD copy of Soft Bulletin

Can finally have the entire 13 track album with the proper mixes without the Vinyl.

I got into the Lips via Yoshimi, I was a little close minded with what I was listening to at the time (around 16 years old) and hearing it for the first time was really special to me, it opened up a bunch of doors to a whole new world of music.

I worked back through The Soft Bulletin, then Clouds Taste Metallic and Transmissions, not too keen on the earlier stuff, cannot really dig Zaireeka but god damn I hold TSB, Yoshimi and Mystics in high regard, and Embryonic even more so.

I did a lot of digging for b-sides and rarities over the years - especially for the It Overtakes Me EP, there's some real good stuff to be found! I have yet to listen to the new one fully but I like the title track. Would user recommend it?

pending sex abuse scandal

You're very welcome!
I hope you enjoy, fellow 'non!

>writes song about the sun

>writes multiple songs about the sun