/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
boards.Sup
newstar.rinet.ru/~goga/biblio/lipson/lipson.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread: boards.Sup Forums.org/int/thread/78024312#top

>waiting a minute and clicking cars and traffic signs just to post a picture

I updated my chart:
removed the mega links and posted them on a pastebin. I hope it should be more user friendly now.

Do you guys curse in your target language? For example when you hurt your toe.

>What languages are you learning?
Polish. Just because i'm interested in Poland and the language not because "Muh race"

Serbo-croatian. I'm tired of hearing "Why don't you speak Bosnian" whenever i see family.

How hard is Serbo-Croatian for a Dutch speaker?

It's not THAT difficult, there are a fair amount of German loanwords and pronunciation is fairly similar although a bit tricky. Do keep in mind that i grew up around family speaking the language and i had some polish prior knowledge

Anyone have any doubt about specifics of Spanish or european spanish pronunciation hmu
Nice guide

feel free to improve this or suggest improvements

I'm Learning French and after that will be Spanish

What is your opinion of anki? I like it.

Saved.

>tfw too stupid for anki

I like it until a few weeks in an you have several hundred reviews to do.

Even with decks?

Had to shell out like £20 for the app since I'm an IOS goy and only really like doing flashcards on the go, but it's a helpful tool. Seems really good at drilling in those hard to remember words.

>Check out /lang/
>Water kraut is the only person making contributions to the thread

Fuck what happened? This used to be lively.

In pc is free.

Dude, you only need put The things you want to remember and every day review, then anki will organize everything. What is the hard thing?

I'd love to make more contributions, but I'm still a relative newbie, so anything I say would be dubious at best.

What about Tinycards, is it a waste of time? I've never used any of the flashcards apps, is this same as Anki?

forgot pic.

This, not sure if I really should be giving advice to anyone yet.

>is this same as Anki?

Anki is a custom card program, I use it to remember everything I want to remember in the long run, from a phone number to language stuff and I honestly work very well.

Same. I couldn't get accents to work on OSX. I use Quizlet because it's easier for me.

Learning Russian right now.
Highly recommend Alexander Lipson's books and tapes, they make it very fun to learn.

Newbies are just as valuable as people with multiple languages already because while you might not know the answer to specific questions, you have an idea what is working for you learning now. Yes you might only be seeing the tree and not yet the forest, but it is all helpful.

Are there any good resources for russian where structure is taught? Duolingo just throws words and phrases at you while expecting you to know why anything was structurally different.

Are you using the mobile version or on your computer? The web version should have grammar tips at the bottom of some lessons that will help with that.

I asked in the last thread where would be a good place to learn afrikaans, but would anyone here care give me some resources? dankie

The web version does have more grammar tips, but Duolingo really takes the stance that you can pick it up with context and finding patterns over time. So at first you might not get it, but after you see that structure in a bunch of lessons you start to pick it up.

I think this theory makes works better with Spanish, Italian or French than it would something like Russia but I don't know.

How/where do I learn Latvian?

Can someone sell me on Italian?

My mums side is Italian but whenever i try learning it i drift away after a couple of weeks. I just don't find the language or the country that interesting.

If you feel like you're learning the language for anything but yourself, I don't think you're going to have much luck. Don't let your heritage tie you to a language.

do you have any link ? im interest

Id say to use RTK - Traditional Characters Edition.

It's probably a lot faster than that book and works rather well for learning the meaning.

Mobile
Guess I'll just plug on then

Are you using other tools? I'm learning a much simpler language and using multiple methods to reinforce my learning. I find I only really internalize something after it's been covered by a few tools, if that makes sense. Like I learn it in Pimsleur, see it in Duolingo...

Does any of your family speak the language? Talking to them would be great practice.

I like the Assimil book for Russian, however I'm using the French version, since it is my mothertongue, and can't comment on the English one. I imagine it to be very similar.

Each lesson is a conversation in which new vocab and grammar are introduced, with tips in the footnotes, and every 7 lesson is a revision one. You can also consult the index if you want to check specific information about grammar.

Other than that, you can buy/download "A Comprehensive Russian Grammar" if you need something more detailed and comprehensive.

I'm learning it (I'm a tourist here), don't really know what to tell you, better learn something you're interested in

Then learn something else. The only way for learning language to be pleasant is if you are interested in the language and culture.

>Do you guys curse in your target language?
No, I don't think anything will ever be able to replace the power of Québec French swearing, for me at least. There's just such a wide array of possibilities for every nuance you can imagine.

learning russian
how to not be discouraged by long time frames to get good?

I study maybe an hour a day and have native speaker friends (online)

will it really take forever to get to even B1?

Check the desktop/web version for some grammar tips then

this is the book:
newstar.rinet.ru/~goga/biblio/lipson/lipson.html (first link there is for downloading it in djvu format).

I really like it but there are no good premade decks for Farsi. It made learning the alphabet really easy though.

thank you, i've found the book in pdf in other link but i didn't found any link for audio. Can you upload if it not too big ?

I don't really feel comfortable swearing in Spanish, it feels kind of disrespectful to swear without having full cultural knowledge. I wouldn't call my Mexican friends "cabrón" even though I hear people saying it to their friends all the time.

Fuck off, we're full.

Everyone is too busy learning desu.

How long would it take for a Dutchman to learn Deutsch who basically knows the language just by spending multiple weeks a year there? I can read and listen German but when it comes to throwing a sentence back I'm fucked

>Quebec French swearing
>une calisse de feuille
Kek.Yeah, have to say it's something else.
The European variation is similar to Portuguese in that regard, reason why I try to use it. Regardless, cursing in s foreign language isn't always satisfying. Doesn't feel "right " if you know what I mean

Just start! Teach yourself latvian and colloquial latvian are both great if you want to start there, otherwise check out the grammar book in the pack at the OP, also great.

I'm not even learning Russian, was just helping him out. I'd like to go to St Petersburg once though.

pyд пocт

>someone asks how/where to learn Latvian
>someone ITT actually has learned (or is learning) Latvian and thus is able to help
kek, what are the odds?

Also, how mutually intelligible are Latvian and Lithuanian?

Unfortunately not. My Gran is the only relative who could speak it but she's getting old and it has sort of become a pidgin Italian with a lot english, Greek and Arabic randomly blended in.

It's the only language i have any real world connection to and i have the classic anglophone problem of wanting to learn a bunch but not being able to stick to any language.

If you know what Russian language is like, that's kind of what grammar is. It's really similar to Russian grammar. Grammar is worse than German, there are 7 instead of 4 cases. Pronunciation is really easy though, that's the only pro I would list. No genders, too (technically there is gender, but once you learn the endings (sunce, dijete - if it ends in an E, it's neuter) it's easy to remember.

My question is, why in the fuck would anyone learn this language in the first place?

I was the user who got asked the question. I'm basically learning it because my parents are from former yugoslavia and they didn't teach me the language when i was young because they wanted to make sure i speak proper dutch first.

You mean Petrograd.

>nasal sounds
You forgot nasal œ̃. It's merged with with ɛ̃ in northern France but elsewhere it's kept, so in some areas brin /brɛ̃/ and brun /brœ̃/ are not homophones . My group and I were taught to pronounce only ɛ̃ though, so it maybe doesn't even matter.

>mfw in many parts of France, they pronounce "deux" and "de" the same
I'll never forgive the French for butchering my language

>Where were you born
St. Petersburg
>Where did you grow up
Petrograd
>Where do you live now
Leningrad
>Where would you like to live
St. Petersburg

h-historical jokes, amirite

Do you guys know any good resources for Serbo-Croatian and Slovenian?

my upload speed is really shitty, sorry.
However they aren't really important, it's the text that's important. The tape is mostly used to hear the correct pronunciation of the words.

ok no prblem, i have tons of materials anyway plus youtube links, thanks for the book though

Did you come up with that yourself?

Where do I go to find a sad model-tier qt that wants to leave Russia and become my sex slave?

The French really are a bunch of savages. My pet peeve is how they turn every "è" into "é". "Je l'ai pas fé, je le ferai apré".

>When the language you're learning uses retarded concepts like "Up week" to mean "Last week" and "Down week" to mean next week.
>When the language you're learning can't even keep it's retarded concepts in check when it says "up work" to go to work and "down work" to finish work even though you don't go to work in the past.

That's what you get for falling for the Chinese meme

I have some french links from youtube, but feel lazy af rn lmao bruh

Sorry I can't help you with any resources but just out of curiosity, what made you interested in learning that language?

Is french worth learning im concerned the country will just be a wasteland in next decade

>when the language you're trying to learn uses the same word for "morning" as it does "tomorrow"
I have no idea how to tell the difference.

If you like literature, then absolutely.
I don't think it will become a wasteland. That's too paranoid.

by that logic bongistan will turn into a caliphate but it's only london and like one other city that got enriched and that's because it's an internation trade hub
paris is much the same except that it's a slightly smaller trade center
the rest of the country is still the same france

Stop using memes as a escape goat

France has existed in some shape or another since 481 (even if you don't want to count the Frankish Kingdom as being France's predessor, then it still goes back all the way to 843). I just can't imagine it suddenly becoming a wasteland, at least not in the near future. It seems downright impossible.

I think it is one of the tools that helped me the most recently. Pretty easy to use since it has just what's needed. I began using before this year started and I have almost 500 words in my English deck.

la mañana - the morning (femenine)
el mañana - "the" tomorrow (masculine)

Wew, I was actually talking about German.

Eh, the countryside will remain nice. It's always the cities that end up really affected, and even then paris is exceptional.

What, how?
Next week in German is literally just next week, and last week just last week

Reread my original post.

Como devo pronunciar a "s" e o "r" para eu ter o sotaque (ou pronúncia?) mais "neutro" possivel.
(estou estudando o português do Brasil)

Hur durr, I fucked up with the week thing. Either way, it's the same in Dutch with morning v tomorrow. Easiest way to know the difference is that morning is noun, so will always be capitalized in German, whereas tomorrow generally is an adverb. (Though it can be used as noun, that is more rare)

Hehe, I thought it was just a thing in Spanish.

I am moving to south africa in 1.5 years. I figured it would be best to learn afrikaans so i don't stick out too much there as a white man

Whats your routine /lit/? I wanna know. Give me a rundown

*Sup Forums

Didn't see anyone else reply to this. "Mы c дpyгoм" is actually the only natural way of saying it. Russians poorly acquainted with foreign languages use the same wording and then they end up sounding odd. I am told this phrasing comes from Finno-Ugric grammar? I don't know.

how am I supposed to maintain reviewing so many cards? Especially when they're cards for kanji which have so much more to them than your standard flash card