Without religious morality, what's the incentive of living a life of good conduct...

Without religious morality, what's the incentive of living a life of good conduct? I mean if you can get away with everything that benefits you regardless morality, what's the point of exclusively following the 'right' spectrum?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You could argue that by helping others you help them improve their lives which helps to improve society which directly benefits you
I live in a weird place where helping others is the norm, atheist or no. It just feels kinda warm and fuzzy inside knowing that you helped someone out and seeing a stranger smile at you just feels good.

Why do i need a reward just for living? You a commie OP?

Well, I love Christianity as a great centerpiece of western culture and values, and the bible as a wonderful and fascinating piece of history and literature.

What I believe is literally true of the natural world and what I think would be nice or ideal are two completely different things.

>Without religious morality, what's the incentive of living a life of good conduct?
To live a life of good moral conduct.
Why do you need to be treated like a child and be coaxed into good behavior at the threat of a switch?

>Lists Einstien as an atheist when he was a theist.

Why do you need a reward for not being a cunt?
If we're all cunts we'd end up like australia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

The consequences of believing or not believing something are not too important, if you think there it's true then you're forced to believe it. If I show you evidence that I'm 6"2 tall and then offer you a million bucks for believing I'm a midget no matter how hard you try you won't be able to make yourself believe it because you already know the truth.

Einstien was if anything a pantheist you cuck he didn't subscribe to any religion and he fucking hated it when people tried to "claim" him as being in their group.

I offered your mum 6 shekels for her to believe that I'm godly in bed and she actually did it, the absolute madwoman

>can get away with anything

Oh, you mean like being able to repent for literally anything you do?

It's all the same, you live by morality because it's good, not because something happens after you die.

>implying you aren't a manlet

Living a life of good conduct is for cucks, tbqhwy familia.

I have strong mizrahi russian genes, I'm a big hairy monkey.

utilitarianism such as not going to jail and having a good reputation

If you're doing it for the reward then you're doing it wrong.

Einstein openly professed that he knew there was a god of sorts.
And I don't mean that dice quote, like he literally said, all things considered god probably exists but we'll never come close to him.
Said this after hubble proved him wrong his theory of an eternal universe.

What if you can get away without repercussion doing an immoral act that can make your life better?

The White Light, or First Bardo energy, may be interpreted as God the Creator. The Spreader of the Seed. The Power which makes all shapes visible. Seed of all that is. Sovereign Power. The All-Powerful. The Central Sun. The One Truth. The Source of all Organic Life. The Divine Mother. The Female Creative Principle. Mother of the Space of Heaven. Radiant Father-Mother. Magnificent revelations, both spiritual and philosophic, can occur at this point making the highest union of experience and intellect. But, because of bad karma (usually religious beliefs of a monotheistic or punitive nature), the glorious light of the seed wisdom it can produce awe and terror. The person will wish to flee and will beget a fondness for the dull white light symbolizing stupidity.

Persons from a Judaeo-Christian background conceive of an enormous gulf between divinity (which is "up there") and the self ("down here"). Christian mystics' claims to unity with divine radiance has always posed problems for theologians who are committed to the cosmological subject-object distinction. Most Westerners, therefore, find it difficult to attain unity with the source-light.

See this is what christfags project onto atheists because of the fedoralords hijacking the word.

For them there is literally no point to being good because everyone hates them anyway for being autists.

>drivel

Humans evolved from plants in the garden of eden.

Yes but his concept of god wasn't something along the lines of omnipotent omniscient omnibenevolent being, he used god to mean something like "laws of physics" like many other physicists he believed that the laws of physics are inherently symmetrical and beautiful and that it's not by accident.

Being religious doesn't mean you have to give up good ethics. Most intellectuals can see the point of following an objectively consistent moral philosophy, it's because of it's potential in positive social longevity for our planet. Nothing's is stopping you from not doing the right thing if that's what you're asking.

Thank you, someone actually understands Einstein, any Christian that uses the appeal to authority "Einstein believed in God" is a massive retard who didn't understand Einstein. He was basically Agnostic.

If the undifferentiated light of the First Bardo or of the Source Energy is lost, luminous waves of differentiated forms can flood through the consciousness. The person's mind begins to identify these figures, that is, to label them and experience revelations about the life process. [Lama Govinda tells us that Qek represents "... the mysterious activity of spiritual forces, which work removed from the senses, invisible and imperceptible, with the aim of guiding the individual (or, more properly: all living beings) towards the maturity of knowledge and liberation. The yellow light of an (inner) sun invisible to human eyes... (in which the unfathomable space of the universe seems to open itself) for the serene mystic green of Qek... On the elementary plane this all-pervading power corresponds to the element of air - the principle of movement and extension, of life and breath (prana)."

god you're fucking stupid

I just don't want to be a dredge on society, I have never felt anything about religion and I don't need to fear it to live a moral life.

It's a period of probation.
A test.
To see if you're worthy to live in the presence of God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
That's what the Great Day of Judgement is all about.
It's Graduation Day for some and Expulsion for others.
Good luck everyone on your test scores!!

That's not true, the conjunction of spheres account for most of what we call "ghosts" and "spirits" God is really just a powerful relict.

>Token black guy

>Without religious morality, what's the incentive of living a life of good conduct?
common sense?
I would like to think you don't need to be religious to have some common sense, that being the first guarantees the later

Other people, your family, friends and your superiors have way more influence on how morally you live your life than your imaginary sky god. When you avoid driving over the speed limit, are you thinking about what the bible says about obeying your rulers, or are you just afraid of a speeding ticket and the humiliation it causes?

>Romans 13:1: Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

I guess killing jews under Hitlers rule wasn't so bad after all now was it? God basically put Hitler into power, so rebelling against Hitler would be rebelling against God. Checkmate christian cucks.

The only confirmed atheist there is Richard Dawkins.

Life is a test but don't worry, in the end everyone passes!

>everyone passes
nope

there isn't one this is why kikes are behind it
they want more immoral subversive goys

christkuks are only slightly better and only if they basically make their own sect that explicitly says there are no jews, people who claim to be are the devil.

praise kek

*the first doesn't guarantee the later doe

It was a joke ;_;

It sounds cliche but for me it comes down to the phrase "Treat others how you would like to be treated" or some shit like that.

I mean sure, I could go out and commit crimes, but unless it's a victimless crime, it's at someones expense, and while no one is forcing you to respect other people, it's this society of trust we've developed that's gotten even you where you are today. I wouldn't kill someone, or steal from someone, or do anything that I wouldn't want to happen to me, unless I felt that particular person deserved it, which is a whole other matter.

The other thing is it's about trust. Sure you can be a petty little bitch ass thieve, but trust me, everyone and their mother will catch on and that's all you'll ever be. When you learn self-restraint and respect for others, their respect comes back to you and puts you in a better position.

people will b nice to me if im nice to them and when im nice i feel gud

also if ur nice, sometimes u get rewarded with the company of other good people u fckin fag

thats why we have laws, retard. you get punished for your bad actions in this life, not in some imaginary land after you die. i swear christfags are the dumbest faggots on this earth after muslims

John 19:11
Jesus answered, "You would have no authority over Me unless it were given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed Me over to you is guilty of greater sin."
>good luck in the next life

Laws have loopholes.

If you need to be held at gunpoint to act morally upright, you have some serious fucking problems.

at least they actually exist

>religion
>moral

Prove it.

Tell that to the politicians.

Laws are social constructs.

>gee---i wonder where laws come from

>I can/will only be a good person if someone threatens me with eternal damnation
Christcucks in a nutshell.

I don't need to. I have faith.

>what's the incentive of living a life of good conduct?
Getting to know jice people? Being seen as someone helpful and good to hang out with?
Do you really need a book to tell you not to be an ass?

Then I have faith atheism is moral.

>Then I have faith atheism is moral.
wat

There is no point to anything, nihilism is pretty logically bulletproof. However, unless you're literally a sociopath you can't reason yourself out of acting according to what you think is moral. Morality is in our biology. It doesn't manifest itself identically in all cultures and across all peoples, but we all have it in some form. Except, again, for actual sociopaths.

He's making fun of you love.

If you need religion to keep you from being an asshole you probably have other problems

Society is a social construct.

The incentive is because it brings me good things in this life to be "good" in this world. Plus, doing harm to others only brings harm to me in the end. If you kill a man, then you've got people wanting to kill you for instance.

>I mean if you can get away with everything that benefits you regardless morality, what's the point of exclusively following the 'right' spectrum?

Being responsible for one's own morality also makes you responsible for your bad deeds, which religion excuses usually. The notion of being a sinner and being forgiven. I think it incentives people to sin really. You can "get away with it" because God will forgive. That usually leads people behaving really badly and thinking it will be magically excused. Without that magical excuse, I now I have to control myself instead. And I do.

I have to face the consequences of acting badly, so I choose to act good instead.

Because it sucks when people don't give you credit for not being a cunt. I still think we should award or incentivize good behavior. All we do is punish bad behavior, while expecting good behavior to automatically just happen. This leads to people being as shitty as they can get away with without being punished. Incentivize good behavior and it will motivate people to be better since they feel they are getting something out of it.

I try to do this more hear, like telling posters they made a good post, instead of just shitposting when I disagree with. Encouraging what I want to see more off.

>implying religious people always do the right thing
this "atheists have no sense morality" has been refuted time and time again. Get good, Christfag

Because a lot of Humans have not undergone the mental shift required to break out of a risk vs reward system.

It's a slow psychological evolution.

people made them up. just like they made up god.

No it hasn't.
Atheism has no sense of morality, any morality Western atheists claim to possess is simply Christian morality with the serial number scratched off.

>implying religious people always do the right thing
I never implied that. I'm just asking if morality doesn't have an inherent quality in it why observe just one side of the spectrum.

I mean if you're doing good but bad things keep happening to you, why bother?

It feels good to be good, brother. You don't need religion to lead an honorable life. It's about the path you travel, not the books you carry.

10/uneducated serf

Good conduct = easier to advance career, find a partner, start a family and upkeep it, etc.

There are plenty of natural benefits to good conduct without taking religion into account at all. Effectively all life goals humans deem the most important require it.

>integrity

Please tell me this is satire

>Western atheists claim to possess is simply Christian morality with the serial number scratched off.
How self centered do you have to be to genuinely believe this? Morality can come from a wide array of places. While atheism in and of itself doesn't offer you some sort of code of morality, you can be simultaneously atheist and have a moral framework.

Because shit happens to everybody. Look. Nobody is going to remember either of us in 200 years, which is pretty much no time at all, in the scheme of things. What do you want to spend your life doing? I'd prefer to spend my life comfy, helping people, and bettering myself. That's just me though.

Some argue that it is because of empathy but they can just as easily rationalize other behaviors because yolo

>That little girl that comes out at the end

I'm a Catholic, but I try to be neutral in this kind of arguments.

My take on this is what the mind thinks and sees, especially what the self doing, affects the predisposition of your actions and the perception of the consequences it may bring.

So you have faith of good actions resulting to a more comfy and better life?

>If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of shit

>you can be simultaneously atheist and have a moral framework.
I'm going to assume you're talking about the Western positivist atheist materialist rather than people whose religion do not have a god figure and respond according to that premise.

No.
You cannot be simultaneously atheist and have a moral framework. If you think you can it's because you have not fully considered the philosophical ramifications of a meaningless universe.

A western atheist cannot have a moral framework he can only have personal preferences.

>I mean if you're doing good but bad things keep happening to you, why bother?
Because doing bad things feels bad and corrupts your character.

>I'm going to assume you're talking about the Western positivist atheist materialist rather than people whose religion do not have a god figure and respond according to that premise.
No.

The christian morality has no claim to objectivity. Their morality is no more solid than that of a common man or an atheist.

>1 Samuel 15:3: Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.

>6th commandment: Thou shalt not kill.

God changes his way of morality the same way a common man changes his when circumstances change enough for him to see things in a different light.

Well then in case you are correct an atheist can hypothetically have a moral framework but this thread isn't about Buddhism or other nontheists as they possess a sense of religious morality.

>My take on this is what the mind thinks and sees, especially what the self doing, affects the predisposition of your actions and the perception of the consequences it may bring.
I don't believe in karma, or any magic forces. I don't expect to get anything out of being a good person. I mean, I guess I don't understand needing a motive to not be an asshole.

>So you have faith of good actions resulting to a more comfy and better life?
I'm comfy because I've always worked on bettering myself, and now have a really good job doing what I enjoy. My grandfather told me that if you stand still, the world isn't going to wait for you.

I know I'll be rewarded one way or another. I'm just trying to understand people who don't have concept of that.

How can you justify righteousness without external factors such as a divine being or force.

Buddhists believe actions are like seeds, plant a good seed and it will yield a good fruit no matter what.

Please keep in mind the common western understanding of karma is pretty juvenile compared to the esoterics

I should add that even if we operate from a positivist materialist point of view, there is still great benefit to be had from morality, meaningless universe and all.

What about people that are religious and are still immoral? Or are you going to pull a "those aren't real Christians/whatever" like commies do with defending communism and Muslims with Islam?

>I mean, I guess I don't understand needing a motive to not be an asshole.
Then clearly you're oblivious to your own behavior and never really put much thought into the matter.

>science has exposed the vastness of the universe
>science has exposed the timeline and development of our universe
>retards literally still believe human morality is applicable in the grand scheme
>retards literally still believe that organized establishments geared toward social control are viable cosmological models

Buddhist morality is quite self serving, it's not 100% religious.

Normally it's that they are Christian but they don't act as one.
It can depend on the sect I think

>I don't believe in karma
I'm not referring to karma. I'm referring to the human unconscious psyche's ability to program its perception of reality based on the process and actions it undergoes. Think of 'artificial intelligence' like Tay.

>there is still great benefit to be had from morality, meaningless universe and all.
No there isn't.
The concept of benefit cannot be defined in a universe that is meaningless. Benefit is an emotional term that has no relationship to reality outside of a personal subjective context.

4 does not benefit from being the sum of 2 and 2.

> religion
> good morality

THIS FFS

honor

Right, a wide variety of sources, all of which western atheists can derive morality from are heavily influenced by centuries and centuries of Christianity. People generally don't sit down and purposefully think about their morals, they just kind of soak them in from the prevailing culture and their family. Which, in the West, remains mostly derived from centuries of Christianity.

On the contrary, the main purpose of Buddhism is to destroy the self.

>retards still believe humanity can survive after it has deconstructed itself.

In today's society, you don't have to compete for resources anywhere near as intensely as just a few hundred years ago. Honestly, if you can't cut it in modern society without being a thief, liar, cheat, or thug, you're sub-human trash.

Also posting the whole image.

This is what christcucks actually believe in

Emotions are pretty real to me.