youtube.com/watch?v=ATWU85fxD2k
youtube.com/watch?v=V_Gt95h34a8
youtube.com/watch?v=-pZkNsVx9IA
youtube.com/watch?v=zZtKI7l_vWA
clairecottrill.bandcamp.com/track/blue-eyes-bonus-track
youtube.com/watch?v=hbyFKDF52pek
sparkletears.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Dictators should be Sup Forums core. It has Television-esque guitar sensibilities, controversial lyrics, and it was punk before punk was punk.

I actually don't think I've ever seen Warren Zevon talked about on here, and you'd think he'd be big here. I think he's kind of like a more serious, more outlaw ish version of Frank Zappa.

Does anybody actually want to talk about music here? This is a music board, after all

i've seen Paco mentioned maybe once here

I'm noticing a common theme: a lot of them are punk records. I'm only posting the ones worth listening, since a lot of them - and especially the comps - are hit or miss

I know this one is a single, and I may post more, but I genuinely enjoyed the hell out of this for a long time. I would highly recommend it.

If no one's going to reply I can do this all night. Maybe I'll cap the thread. Fucking ridiculous how bad this board has become.

This is kind of like Belle and Sebastian meets The Smiths meets Devendra Banhart. Highly recommend.

Don't believe I've ever seen The Left Banke mentioned here. Glorious 60s psych pop

This is actually a pretty good compilation album from the 90s of mostly covers

A lovely album, Trouble is a very memorable song

youtube.com/watch?v=-zLicyzaH5A

I don't know why this isn't more popular here. I've never seen it posted but I also don't lurk prog threads too much. If you like the Velvet Underground and prog rock, listen to this. It's from Brazil. Super transgressive for the time, too.

My original photo for the cover was too big. Didn't feel like downloading another

I'll contribute

And another
Nothing obscure or anything but excellent nonetheless

Am going to start posting samples and descriptions with my choices

youtube.com/watch?v=626pNZB8xXE

This isn't an iconic album per se, but Scrapper Blackwell was a very talented guitarist from the 1920's - 60's who's influence was very well received by many artists such as Jimmy Page, John Lennon, and Eric Clapton (ew). So the album is impressive front to back, but the Jimmy Cox track "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out", struck me as being a particularly awesome track for being written and recorded so long ago. I think it has the most crossover appeal to modern music than most blues driven stuff from around that time. It's really accessible and catchy, just listen to it.
I'm sure he's been brought up here before, but I'm also sure this specific album hasn't been posted by anyone. Ah well, gives me an excuse to discuss many more artists

I wish The Dictators weren't composed entirely of Jews

How does that even happen?

Well it's about god damn time.

Those both look very interesting and I've never seen them posted here before. What kind of music is it? I'll find out soon enough, gonna look for a download. Covers look enticing enough

Musicians i never or rarely see mu talk about: David sylvian, Elton john, billy joel, phil collins, billy idol, alice cooper, Lionel Richie, james brown, Rob Zombie, Van Morrison, Roy Orbison

youtube.com/watch?v=ATWU85fxD2k

So this is more of a compilation, but classical music was never released in albums to begin with. This is Sviatoslav Richter playing different sections from Rachmaninoff Opuses. The best parts are the preludes. I choose this because I think it's one of the most moving performances done on solo piano. Rachmaninoff's piano pieces were so full of emotion, and sadness, that they beat out Chopin's Nocturnes and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. One particular track, "Andante Cantabile", almost moved me to tears. I posted it in the youtube link. I can't really describe why, something about certain classical music especially, it's like you can just feel their existential despair. The same way they say Philip Glass' music works in loops, with this I feel like I'm listening to an all encompassing void, just infinitely spinning with the wheels of time. Listen to it if you want to get into classical more, or if what I described sounds good to you.

I found this album from a rutracker link in CLT's huge ass Sup Forums sampler chart way back

This album gets posted all the time, but rarely discussed.

They remind me more of The Beach Boys than Television. Television tends to be more artsy.

Interestingly enough, according to the book Please Kill Me by Legs McNeil and Jillian McCain, The Dictators are the reason Legs, and John Holstrom moved from Connecticut to New York City to start PUNK Magazine. They were actually on the verge of breaking up when Go Girl Crazy was released, and Punk was the only magazine that cared enough to give them the front cover, let alone cover them.

I wonder if Handsome Dick Manitoba still has his bar. I'd love to go there if I ever go to New York.

I'd love to see The Didjits do a reunion. Great band. One of Chicago's better punk bands.

Other than the fact they look like rejects from a Kiss audition, this looks rather interesting, and at least it isn't Death Metal.

More like psychedelic baroque. They were quite good at it, and might've been pioneers of the genre.

What have you got against Jewish People?
How do you feel about bands like Kiss, and Van Halen, or even The Ramones?

What did any jewish people ever do to you?

>Take that anti jewish bullshit to Sup Forums

Green On Red were very popular once upon a time. Google them. You won't be sorry.

Sup Forums can't handle avant-prog, let alone prog

hey, someone who actually enjoys music. what a treat!

As for the Dictators, I just thought some of the guitar riffs and feedback sounded a little like Television, with that Indie Rock type sound. Either way, I love their attitude, and that's the important part. Music is seconday (for this type of stuff)

OF COURSE I forget to post the fucking picture

another one of those early punk albums never discussed

Found this in a Goodwill for $1, bought it because Steve Roach was involved
Great purchase

youtube.com/watch?v=V_Gt95h34a8

youtube.com/watch?v=-pZkNsVx9IA

This is actually an awesome Folk Pop album from the early 60's. Front to back, it's really nostalgic sounding to me. The final cut, "A-Soalin'" is heavily underrated. It's a rendition of an old Christmas carol-ing song that poor children would sing to families in hopes of getting a Soul Cake, which i believe is a type of fruit cake. There's like a whole recipe for it and everything. The main guitar "riff" (i don't know what you call it on acoustic) is really cool and super fun to play :^). I personally really like the first and last tracks, posted above. Again, the whole thing is worth a listen. Just skip "Puff the Magic Dragon" if you've heard it before

youtube.com/watch?v=zZtKI7l_vWA

my favorite cut was a bonus track (it's not even on Youtube): clairecottrill.bandcamp.com/track/blue-eyes-bonus-track

I've also never seen Clairo mentioned here until a made a thread about her a few days ago. I get that she's overrated now, but if you go back to her roots she wrote some sweet music, and she also covered some great indie music like Built to Spill. Her songs are kind of in the vein of Beat Happening and other cute-sy Twee Pop. Worth a try if you've never heard her, but this thread is about specific albums, so I will post my favorite cut from this thing.

Also if anybody wants some of her albums in good quality I have most of them, and I'm online for Soulseek right now. I have a few in FLAC that I couldn't find anywhere for free so I had to buy it, including this album. Not sure how I feel about stealing from a 19 year old girl, but whatever.

I can understand the comparison of The Dictators to Television if you're going by the feedback criteria, but Television could never write a song like I Live For Cars and Girls, but then again, I don't think The Dictators could ever put out an album like Marquee Moon either.

>Here's another good punk band from my hometown, Chicago

Were you trying to post a video? What band are you talking about? I'm quite familiar with Chicago punk.

Never heard Elliot Smith's version of Walk Away Renee but I bet it would be great.

Here's the Four Tops' version
youtube.com/watch?v=hbyFKDF52pek

I'm a fan of pre 1985 GG Allin, but I don't like post 85 GG. I actually saw him in Chicago in 1989, and it might've been the longest he was ever able to perform. (At least an hour) Anything you ever heard about a GG Allin concert is probably true, since I got to witness one first hand.

When I heard his version of Warren Zevon's Carmilita, I knew this guy was a lot more intelligent than people give him credit for. Wouldn't surprise me in the least that he would be into The Fugs, (Another band that is almost never discussed) The Mother's of Invention, and Wayne County. (Yet another great band never discussed here) I only know of one interview with GG in MRR back in 86 or thereabouts.

Kurt liked alot of bands that a lot of people don't know about, and they don't even know that Kurt was a fan of these bands. I was reading Dave Dictor's autobiography, and he said that before he died, he came to an MDC show, and they didn't even know it was Kurt, until somebody pointed out that fact, but he had left the building, so it doesn't surprise me he would be a Didjits fan.

Now that I think about it, GG Allin originally was from the same area of New Hampshire as The Shaggs, (Again, another group almost never discussed on Sup Forums) I wonder if they ever crossed paths?

Is that the picture sleeve to the Gacy's Place e.p. by The Mentally Ill? Great record. Ever hear of The Cunts Live? More garage than hardcore, but a good Chicago band no matter how you slice it, especially the early stuff.

This album is the reason why I HATE Tom Petty. His calling his band The Heartbreakers confused a lot of people, myself included. I didn't get to hear this gem until maybe 15 years after the fact.

Fun fact: Did you know this album DESTROYED Track Records? It literally bankrupted them

Yuss

Also I've never seen this one or anything from SBE (beside from me).
Also not much Post-Rock, Post-Black, Modern Prog, Stoner and lots of other genres... We see mostly the same uncreative stuff over and over again ...

I was re listening to that Dictators album over and over again while posting in this thread trying to find the parts that made me claim that. I think the song "Teengenerate" would be the best example, but I first noticed it on the opening track around 0:58 in, when that lead guitar comes sliding in to a crescendo. Their guitar tone in some of those songs, especially the more sophisticated sounding ones with leads, have that glossy, high treble/high mid, clear sound that Television has on Marquee Moon. Although to be frank, I haven't listened to Television in years. I always thought they were kind of pretentious.

I replied to my own post above with The Mentally Ill's Gacy's Place, just forgot to attach it.

Can you please tell me a little bit about GG, or the show? I don't know who I like better, GG, Elliott, or Kurt. They are like heroes of mine. They just infinitely interest and inspire me, and I'm obsessed with the fact that I'll never get to see any of them. I'm only 22, and it disappoints me to no end the path that the spirit of rock n roll has taken. No one gives a fuck anymore.

GG is very intelligent, Elliott was an intellectual, and Kurt was extremely emotionally intelligent, if that makes sense. They all had so much empathy. And they were all so talented, they really honestly speak to me on a personal level. I can play you every song Elliott ever wrote. I've read one of Kurt's biographies, but I stay away from things like his journals that invade his privacy. I don't see why GG would have ever seen the Shaggs, did anyone even go and see them before Zappa praised them?

I have a recommendation for you but it's been posted a lot here. Listen to Tonetta. He is another artist that I have a deep connection with. He is an outsider artist in every sense of the word, and that's not a knock on the guy. I actually talk to him on Facebook. He knows who I am. Sorry for the blog post, but those are the four artists I consider my favorites

This has been posted before. Cool album though, has a Captain Beefheart cover.

I've heard of this, it's been so long. Aren't they kind of like Hash Jar Tempo, or maybe Bardo Pond? Spaced out prog?

Not me that posted that, but I have not heard of the Cunts. Although Im from the Windy City I've been hard pressed to find good punk rock from back in the day. I know the Effigies, Mentally Ill, and Naked Raygun. Chicago has never really had a scene in the same way LA and NYC did, with hardcore and No Wave respectively.

Also, that LAMF album is nothing compared to So Alone.

This looks like TISM but I'm sure it's not.

all of this punk rock reminded me of WASP. Essential fucking listening

Tom Verlain, from what I understand, is a self centered narcissist, so I can understand why one would think Television are pretentious. Even The Damned didn't care for them, and wrote a song about them called Idiot Box, which is on their second album Music For Pleasure. They reference Marquee Moon in the chorus, and even call out Tom Verlain by name.

The GG show as in 1989 at EXIT when it was still located at the corner of North and Wells in Old Town. This was 29 years ago, so my memory is kind of hazy, but I'll try my best from what I can remember.

He wore nothing but a jock strap, and was totally wasted. He opened up with a slow version of Hard Candy Cock, and the only other song I can remember is I Wanna Rape You, only because he DID actually try to rape someone in the middle of the song, but they fought back, and he talks about it after the song. He threw stuff at the audience, including garbage cans, and even a cinder block.
At the end of his set, he considered doing an encore if everybody came to the front of the stage and kneeled in front of him. He ended up macing everybody who didn't kneel in front of him. I kneeled, so I didn't get maced. Later that year he would be arrested for attempted murder, and serve time in Michigan.

Since his journal was put out after he died, I have no problem with reading it. One can see where he got the inspiration for a lot of his songs. (I understand the whole invasion of privacy issue, though)

As I said earlier, Both GG Allin and The Shaggs were from the same area of New Hampshire, and I think were either from the same town, or towns next to each other. These towns are quite small, and everybody knows each other, so I though they might've crossed paths, especially since GG was into The Fugs, and T.M.O.I. It would make perfect sense. When they first started, The Shaggs used to play out every Saturday Night at The Femont Town Hall. I'm not sure how long this went on for.

>Continued from
It's quite possible that Zappa's praise for The Shaggs might've had something to do with their popularity, but I'd be more inclined to believe that the band NRBQ, who are from Boston was equally responsible, since one of them formed a record company for the sole purpose of re-issuing their first album. In 2000 they played one gig in New York but Helen Wiggens didn't play, since she suffers from bi-polar disorder. They are very simple country folk who had no idea of how popular they were outside of their little New Hampshire town, or that anybody even knew of them or cared. They didn't even know any of the musical celebrities who made the trip to see the show. (Michael Stipe of R.E.M. was there, and met them, and they were shocked to see that somebody actually had their first record tattooed on them)

I have heard of Tonetta, but not familiar with his stuff. I will make it a point to check them out.

While we're recommending music and artists, here's a Chicago band called Sparkletears (Pic related) If you like The Fugs or The Shaggs, this might be up your alley. It's punk rock played on an electric ukulele, and it's better than it sounds.

sparkletears.bandcamp.com

Actually, the full name of the band was/is The Cunts Live.

Actually Chicago has always had a pretty healthy punk scene, but, for some reason it's always been overlooked.

At least you seem to know some of the early stuff, but for more on the history of Chicago punk I would recommend the documentary You Weren't There and the book Confessions of A Chicago Punk Rock Bystander by Marie Kanger-Born.

Other bands you might want to check out would be........
Strike Under
Articles of Faith
End Result
Negative Element
Life Sentence
Tu Tu and The Pirates
Skafish (Pronounced SKAY-Fish)

I know of lots of old time Chicago punk bands, but they are too obscure to mention, and I would probably have to start a new thread to name them all, so just start out with those since they are the most popular, and the easiest to find doing an internet search.

I forgot to add Out Of Order to that list.

They had a UK82 Britpunk style to their music, but with a definitive Chicago spin.

why does transaction de novo get all the attention it's the worst of the trilogy (not to say it's bad, it's still really good)

Sorry, I just didn't think that they would play for those kinds of people back then, as they were only young girls. But now that you mention it GG has said that it's a very small town, so I could see that.

Yeah, the Exit is just outside Lincoln Park and Old Town, I remember seeing it all the time. I actually tried getting in one night when I was 20, since people outside were talking to me as I walked by. I wish they could've let me in, I still have to make it over there.

Yeah I actually like post prison GG better than late 80s GG. He was so fucked up then. Did you ever hear the Suicide Sessions? That's probably his worst record, it's almost hard to listen to. I think that was his most seriously depraved point. Throwing the cinder block and the mace is just extreme. But as for raping the girl, I see tons of footage where he'll fight someone or try to rape someone for like 15 seconds then go back to singing or walk away. Was it really as bad as they say? It seems like more of an exchange than actual intent. Was he really a good fighter? How come nobody with actual fighting credentials went and knocked him out? I have so many questions. What did you like about GG?

In some of his post prison shows he really doesn't even seem like that bad of a guy. Sing some songs, body box a few people, make out with a girl, get back on stage. I even watched one today where he thanked his band for being with him for so long. Now that's crazy for GG! I could see why some people wouldn't like that as the music community isn't exactly made out of the toughest people.

Well you got me.
First you said you were 22, and now you say you tried to get into Exit when you were 20 at North and Wells?

That location shut down in 1990, an didn't reopen until 1993 at it's current location at North and Elston which is nowhere near Old Town or Lincoln Park.

Thank you thank you thank you so much. I really appreciate it, especially the Chicago punk bands post. This is why I come to Sup Forums. It's just that, people in Chicago can be really shitty. I'm sure it's incidental being in a big city, but so much of the music scene is built on jealousy, greed, trust fund babies, and not much of a sense of community, at least from what I've seen. But I don't get out much anymore. I grew up with The Orwells. You can imagine how much that would fuck with my head, being someone who actually likes rock n roll, and not the fucking Strokes, which is like the most popular band here growing up. I've always summed it up to how we have groups like the Smashing Pumpkins, Alkaline Trio, Naked Raygun, and Kanye, who skyrocketed to fame, yet we hear almost nothing of their contemporaries. New York had the CBGB's, LA had the Whiskey. I can't wait to check out those bands though. I really want to indulge in the history of this place. I've been thinking of moving to LA.

???
yes, two years ago I tried to get into the Exit. It's still there, on North. Im currently 22

North and Elston is very close to Lincoln Park. You walk down north take a left on sheffield then a right on armitage

i used to live in lincoln park. then ravenswood. and most recently, pilsen.

wtf this isn't /soc/

still music related, we're talking about a venue

Did you perhaps post this in a "non-english 10/10s" thread? I was the OP and I gave this one a try, really enjoyed it!

I've listened to 777 by Tonetta and I really liked it. What album of his should I try next?
Also is he a cool dude? He really seems like one. Maybe a bit weird but not in a negative way

The album is impressive but there isn't much to discuss tbqh desu

Hey, buddy, I think you've got the wrong door. The leather club's two blocks down

10/10 comfy

Yeah it's their 2017 album, and their best imo, even if they made some other great stuff besides this.

It's mixed up with some Indian raga and other folk-y stuff but it's mostly Prog Rock. Great ambiances, pretty hard to dislike it even if it isn't 10/10 100% of the time. Some endings could be better and there are a few stuff that could be improved, but overall it's really awesome and generally more qualitative than most stuff we hear about here.