Why did Walken Phoenix put on a British accent when portraying a Roman emperor?

Why did Walken Phoenix put on a British accent when portraying a Roman emperor?

I know British actors tend to just keep their accents when portraying Romans, but why would an American SWITCH to a British accent instead of just keeping his own? Or if he really wanted to do an accent, why not Latin/Italian?

Shit makes no fucking sense.

Because the Yank accent makes you sound like a pleb and he was a patrician.

Why didn't he just learn perfect Latin and the Roman pronunciation along with it?

hollywood tends to stick with brit accent for historical movies because i guess it just sounds better in these type of movies. brit accent is older than ameriglish.

British accent suits villains hollywood thinks.

American accents just sound goofy as fuck in historical settings that predate America.

Did Roman Emperors really stick their tongues out like that?

american english is hamburgers and nascar, whereas britlish is shakespeare and snide upper class.

Because Gladdiator is supposed to be Shakespearean

Because nobody knows what the Romans sounded like. However it would make sense for the emperor to have a more refined accent

we actually have a pretty decent picture of roman phonology.

Dont really care about OPs post just wanted to say I love Gladiator

>not Vulgar Latin

apparently the patricians spoke Greek when in the company of other patricians

No, there were a ton of historical inaccuracies with this movie.

because Shakespeare

So chariots weren't fitted with gas cannisters in those days?

>talking latin like a pleb

αβσολυτελψ δισγυστινγ

That's untrue. Brits used to sound similar to American Hicks.

Tell that to Charleton Heston

this movie wudda been awesome if they all tawked like goombas

>this stupid meme again
no

Firstly, there were and still are hundreds and hundreds of different British accents and Brits who emigrated to America were by and large backwater provincial nutters with weird regional accents

Secondly both British and American accents are in flux. Languages change all the time, American English isn't some preserved time capsule of 18th century English

its impossible to do an italian accent without it sounding like a stereotype

oh god I can hear his voice kill meeee

SPANDAU
P
A
N
D
A
U

(ps- churchill tank was best tank of ww2)

Nothing in your post refuted anything I posted

and to think 100 years from now society will be speaking in ebonics

civilizational equivalents:
normans (the british upper class, as opposed to common saxon chavs) were equivalent to ethnic latins/romans in the empire

not wrong

ethnic anglo-saxons = jews, note the traditional israel-american alliance or WASPs going to private schools with jews

the non-roman ethnic masses in the empire got suckered with christianity the way various american ethnics Sup Forums hates got suckered with leftism

he was the villain, villains are always British in Hollywood movies

This, along with most other Roman stories, the English accent is more or less to emphasize their manner of speech and not reflect the language itself.

Greek was the lingua franca of the Roman Empire.