I dare you

I dare you.

Mother Night

Funny Games

Excellent acting, the most amazing twist in history of film

>and explain yourself

Good acting, neat shots. And a nice take on the Butch Cassidy story

Anything on here that is not critically acclaimed or a huge commercial success or considered a cult classic is recommended because they are patrician cinema.

Sucker Punch (Extended Cut) was a treatise on the objectification of women as seen through the eyes of various nerd subcultures. The prism by which the movie is shown self reflects to the viewer their own ugliness.

It's a hypnotizing take on psychological trauma. It cleverly turns it into an esoteric, theatrical, fantasy extravaganza. Its own nakedness makes people feel shameful and uncomfortable.

It's a movie that literally hates its own audience and spits on them.

>"“I wanted to rub the human race in its own vomit, and force it to look in the mirror.”" - J.G. Ballard

If that isn't true kino, I don't fucking know what is.

Crossbones

Listening to John Malkovic talk is soothing, also pirates and ""Blackbeard""

Came here to post just this.

Also the second most terrifying movie I know of (after Threads, which I won't recommend because cult classic)

>the martian
Literally plebbit: the movie

Apollo 18

the shots on the Moon were beautiful at the same time spooky, exactly like I imagine it to be. if you want cold and weird sci-fi then this is it.

Welcome Back, Mr McDonald

A simple, effective Japanese comedy from the 80's that also has a good message about collaboration and compromise. Plus it has a young Ken Watanabe doing slapstick.

>Got to the martian
Nigga, I closed the pic when I saw Pulp Fiction

>post a bad film and explain why it's good
kys

Snatch

It's great

Where do you think you are?

>all that adam sandler

wtf is wrong with you?

>its bad to me so it must be bad to everyone else.

hello autism

Big Nothing

Is good jah

>all films are either objectively bad or good, with no middle ground or room for discussion

get raped

Since the only Sandler movie that isn't in that pic is the Wedding Singer I take it that pic is just a poor attempt at humor. Also Mr. Deeds is fuckin awesome.

Great practical effects, all-male cast and a good (if a bit hammy) performance from Andy Serkis and Matthew Rhys in this World War I horror. To think this came from the director of Silent Hill Revelation.

Nice bait.

Willard, 2003 remake

Captures the Willard/Ratman's Notebooks story well, Crispin Glover does his thing in a role that's pretty much made for the thing he does, only real failure is the ending that got adjusted to make the movie PG-13; otherwise it's a great, subdued mixture of spoopy and quirky. I think it got advertised as a horror film but it's more of a 'character study' and has a dark comedic quality. I picked this one over my other choices because it's less obscure and was actually trying to be a huge commercial success, but it wasn't, and it also fell short of being a cult classic (as far as I know, anyway), vs. my other picks which are just some artsy stuff.

John Carter

Its a proper adventure film that takes you to a wild new world and it does so very well.
I enjoy it a lot.

Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice

It takes itself seriously and it has actual substance in a sea of Marvel Studios productions.

Now you really need to explain yourself. That movie just sucked.

you'll either hate it, love it or both at the same time.
either way, you'll remember it.

Agreed. I thought it was well-made and recommend it to anyone who can appreciate a good big-budget flick.

Sucker Punch is one of Snyder's best, better than either DC movie and I loved BvS. But to be fair to OP's rules, I think Snyder in general has a strong cult following, particularly on this board.

Psychological effects of the Lebanon war on a young recruit, that DON'T include PTSD, but rather his way of coping with guilt. The ending is a kick in the balls.

It has interesting characters, a decent enough plot with a twist, a great setting, cool action scenes and you get to see great actors not take themselves so serious, looking at you Ben.

Michael Clayton.

It is well-made, but the first act is intensely expositional in a dull way and the romance which takes up much of the second act is wildly uninteresting. Only in act 3 does it really come to life.

Wasn't this critically acclaimed? Either way its great though.

I guess I'd go with:
>Punch-Drunk Love
>Pandorum
>Fearless
>Willy Wonka
>If

As far as I know PDL is the most underrated PTA movie that I know of. Maybe its a cult classic? But its not very old, and I've never heard much about it. I fucking loved it: a sweet, sincere, stylistic, different romance story. + great cinematography as usual and a surprisingly good performance by Sandler.

Pandorum is a fresh, good sci-fi horror movie. They hint to the twist ahead of time, but the actual setting of the movie was really surprising to me ultimately. Worth a watch even though its not amazing or anything.

Fearless was directed by a Trashman and stars discount Jackie Chan, but ended up making me tear up a bit as well as rewatching most of the fight scenes. Its got good characters, a nice arc, great choreography, great sound track, interesting story, etc. It should be as much of a classic as Crouching Tiger or Hero or any of that stuff.

Willy Wonka is the essence of childhood, colorful, has great acting from kids and adults, and a nice message as well as awesome songs. I mainly love it for 'Imagination" says a lot about Wonka without overbearing backstory like in the sequel.

If has some interesting surrealist imagery, and really feels like Clockwork Orange set in a boarding school. Fine movie that I don't think has gotten a lot of recognition.

THIS.

Watched it 2 days ago out of curiosity and its pretty friggen great. Still has some stylistic quirks that I think are just for fun, but it has a deceptive amount of depth. Its more like a series of vignettes but damn interesting to watch none the less.

This got an Oscar nom and is 96% on RT, c'mon now.

This is the much better version of Suicide Squad. This is what Suicide Squad should have been.

that korean film about some girl living on some lake and taking care of floating houses

Easy
This one if my personal favorite.
I don't have to explain myself. This movie is 10/10.

Does being at Cannes count as critically acclaimed?

it is considered a cult classic though

A really bleak and dark film with Sean Connery just giving a wonderfully strong performance about a detective gone mad because of his line of work and a case he's working on involving a child rapist.

interesting. It's a very very bad movie but it's a must see.

never knew this fact.

OP's criteria basically demand any movie named has to be almost universally reviled
>Not critically acclaimed
So critics can't like it
>Not a huge commercial success
So it can't be widely popular with audiences
>Not a cult classic
So it can't be anyone else

Empire of the Sun?

>Lost River
Decent flick, Ryan straight up rips off Refn and it works. Also Titcow is in it.

or it could be an unknown movie.

That's pretty tough. Even movies like Red Sonja, which is hated by critics and was a box office bomb, could be considered a cult classic.

Matilda. The cake eating scene is kino. Watching it as child back then was terrifying.

Brilliant film, I'd be surprised if its not critically acclaimed.

It was a great movie.

A nice spin on The Most Dangerous Game. It looks like a bullshit action movie but it's actually quite compelling. Ice-T is pretty good and everyone else gives solid performances.

Doctor Detroit

It's a stupidly funny movie about a fairly well-off guy who protects hookers as the metal claw wielding pimp "Doctor Detroit" from the taxi company owning woman pimp "Mom". I like it because it's campy and doesn't try to blow your mind with epic twists.

Underrated for sure. I agree with this user.

Didn't Danny Boyle direct it?

Loved the soundtrack but on the whole it was pretty forgettable

Would watch it again for the cinematography and the suspense of the first half but it goes full retard after the subway scene.

What was exactly "very very bad" about it?

Welcome to New York (2014)
>faggot cinephiles pine for the days of 70s auteur filmmaking that created the likes of Scorsese and Coppola
>a member of that class, Abel Ferrara, makes a contemporary movie that lives in that spirit while also being innovative and contemporary
>no one cares

You can't trust people.

It has great cinematography, solid performances by cruise, Kidman, Duvall and rooker, a great yet simple story about redemption, and it has the best hans zimmer score

Was unfairly criticized for being similar to top gun despite doing it's own thing and for only having one female character

Horns

Just went shy of cult status but I really liked the film, predictable af but has cool characters and the funny/creepy shit that happens is good fun

I think this counts a cult classic. Nolan is obsessed with this movie that he informally remade it with Dark Knight.

Come at me fags.

Underrated kino

Also, Waterworld was pure kino

Cuthroat Island.

Cheap bait

Miami Vice
Its pure kino

>Waterworld
Unironically, The Postman. I know it's about 67 hours too long, but man, the first act is just brilliant.

Mystery Men

>kino kino kino kino kino

Explain yourself.

It was definitely much better than I expected.

The cgi fire was cringy, but there were definitely some good parts to it despite Cage.

Tranny-Kino

This

you know, i think you are onto something.

the structure, the story going all over the place, some of the actor plays...
however the scenery is beautiful and it's the first film which used this type of camera.

it has a lot of good ideas, but maybe too much and too ahead of its time for them to work correctly ans especially in only one movie.
I'm still proud of my country for this movie

Neat low budget horror flick from 2015, has some good performances from Skarsgard and Riseborough.

>made more than 3x its production budget

Try again.

i fucking love the postman.

no idea why people shit on it.

same thing with waterworld, love that one too.

wat

This was all over the place but good call. You don't see eccentric fantasy movies like this anymore.

I like the nihilism and big themes in a small setting.

Thanks frenchbro, your country has produced some really underrated flicks, like Brotherhood of the Wolf, Hornet's Nest (Nid De Guepes) and Doberman.

Kstew as a southern cutie
Eddie Redmayne as a literal aspergers retard
William Hurt as some guy who just got out of prison

Apparently it's based on some gook film

On of my all time favorites.

The atmosphere is great, the acting is good, the scene where they break the brick wall is one of the best scenes ever.

neither critics not cults like this enough for my taste.

Worldwide BO is 180+M.

Joyeux Noel. It's a heartwarming story about common humanity during one of the most violent events in history.

Fun as fuck, great dialogues and the lack of money is effectively used as comical resource

Just watch it.

Both were films with beautiful environment and aesthetic even if they never structurally came together coherently enough to be considered a box-office "success". However, I enjoyed both films nonetheless.

I don't think Mr.Nobody fits any of those so I'm gonna say Mr.Nobody because it made me feel emotions I forgot I had and it made me feel hopeful that I don't have to continue on the path laid out for me.

Polytechnique
Hyena
Who is KK Downey
Drinking Buddies
Gangster VIP
Holy Flame of the Martial World
Mon Ami
A Hard Day
Man on High Heels
Welcome to the Punch
Snowtown Murders
The Black Hole
Stage Fright

The men who make the music

thanks user, I didn't expect a lot of people to love these movie. Didn't saw Doberman tho, I'll give it a try.

also going to add Wasabi to this