Radio station's motto is "We play anything!"

>Radio station's motto is "We play anything!"
>Only plays the same popular 80s music everyday.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
kworb.net/radio/
youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's thoroughly disappointing

>Radio station plays 80s music

Why are all radio stations so shit?

>"Playing the music you grew up with."
>It's music from before I was born.

youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

a lot of factors. if you want actually decent radio your best bet is the local college station where some stations only want the dj's to play stuff that hasn't charted anywhere. source: one of my coworkers had a radio show and she and her friend played a bunch of great relatively obscure shit for 2 hours. "none of the hits all of the time"

Have to play popular shit so people actually listen to them and give them numbers

>Radio station's motto is "We play anything!"
>Only plays the same popular 80s music everyday.
Are you in Northeast Ohio talking about 106.5? Their motto is that exactly and that's exactly the music they play

Not him, but in Texas we have Bob.FM with the same motto.

97.1 charlie fm

Hey, at least my radio station plays mostly Alternative/Indie Rock, and you can text Like or Dislike to take the song off the air. And plus, they actually have played quite a few songs before they went big. I remember them playing Sweater Weather in early 2013, before it hit big by 2014. And same with Radioactive, Shut Up and Dance, Sail, and other Indie Rock/Pop songs.

I get a classic rock station on 106.5 idk if they changed their motto or not.
I'm from NY though so it's probably not the same one

>radiostation plays the same 5 katy perry songs
>the DJ is in a booth somewhere in California and the entire show is pre recorded
>the callers are fake and hired actors
>there are more commercials than songs

I live in a small canadian city and there are at least two radio stations in the city that fit this description. it's universal

Advertising money. The people who buy the stuff advertised on radio (40sish white suburban women) like 80s pop the most. Antagonising your advertisers' target demographic just loses you money.

good thing radio's all but fucking dead then

radio isn't essential anymore so they're forced to pander to the widest audience possible in order to make some semblance of profit

>radio station
people still listen to radio?

SCfag here, I read OP's line in his voice

OP here I'm in North Carolina's "The Lake".

kworb.net/radio/

>We play the songs that sound more like everyone else than anyone else

"You heard that song first here on (commercial station)" -song that was played moderately on the college rock station about a year previously.

Commercial radio is trash, when are Clear Channel, Cumulus, and Entercom/CBS going to crash?

>new alternative radiostation comes to dadrock and 80s pop-filled radiowaves of alabama
>it's literally just tumblr-core pop
>40 instances of the same few 21 pilots songs in a 3 day span
why did I even try

80's pop music is kino though. I would rather listen to only 80's music than 95% of the modern crap Pop of the last 15 years.

>Commercial radio is trash, when are Clear Channel, Cumulus, and Entercom/CBS going to crash?
It'll happen within the next 20 years as boomers start to die out. People over 50 are the main consumers of radio.

joe.fm here in mid michigan. are all these name stations related?

101.7 Chuck FM
holy fug

>we play anything
>but mostly the 80's

at least they were honest about it

I work at my colleges radio station. I've tried sending in requests for music that's more interesting than what we usually play but they've told me unless it's dadrock or Top 40 it won't make the cut. Doesn't help much that our station is out in bumblefuck Texas so they have even less freedom to play interesting shit. The most unique thing we have is that we're the only station out here that plays hip-hop, but we only play it at night and it's all Top 40s trash. It's even worse because, years ago before I signed up, the station was under different management and had more freedom to play stuff outside of what every other radio station plays.

It may be sooner. Clear Channel is already signaling to its debtors that it won't be able to pay back its debts and the accountants are pretty explicitly saying that bankruptcy is looming within a few years. It'll probably end up merging with some other conglomerate like CBS did with Entercom. However, I wish the government would block any merger, conglomerate radio is a mistake.

You know what i always found odd. the rolling stones and beatles are huge bands but i have never ever heard them on the radio. Not even on the oldies station.

I live in texas btw

I have heard new order

Its too late to save radio, video killed the radio star, internet killed the video star.

We are like ten tehcnolgies ahead by now. The radio is nothing but commercials and fucking top 40 pop garbage while you listen to obscure japanese city pop on the internet

its game over man

i dont know why clearchannel hasnt gone bankrupt yet, its maddeining how long those fuckers have lasted with that much debt

There should be an 80's station.

But there should be stations for everything else too.

Why should only certain fuckers get catered to?

The internet is fucking godsend.

I would be stuck listening to like fucking ACDC and drowning pool for an eternity and now im like yeah, had my madchester phase in my early 20's, lately been listening to some IDM and and first wave black metal.

Okay, you want to play 80's music, where's the smiths, where's fucking like black flag.

The worst thing that ever happend to radio was the government allowing corporations to monopolize the market

agreed Dr. Phil

Formerly Sneed FM

If you want good shit, you have to listen to npr and college radio

hat the radio station I was talking about

93.1 jack fm

>"LISTEN TO THE GREATEST MUSIC EVER MADE"
>Is a station that only plays bad dadrock

Charlotte?

99.5 KISS

>npr

you know i dont like using this word but those fuckers are the definition of libtard soyboys

>college radio

what, so i can hear like fucking lana del ray or some pop garbage bitch that poses and indie?

Man, like how great would it be if you turned on a radio and they were playing like fucking black flag or the happy Mondays, and the dj was funny and entertaining and he played mainstream shit but had like an eclectic taste that dug deep in those fucking crates and even played some foreign shit every now and then.

Also there were like 2 commercials instead of 50

youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU

>listening to anything but your local public radio
wfpk here

You mean boomer radio?

I used to be there

>you know i dont like using this word but those fuckers are the definition of libtard soyboys
shut up lol. NPR is great. It's calming and charming. It has a liberal bias but it's not whiny or preachy.

I solve this by only listen to NPR or sirus.

I live in the east bay and my college station is kalx, they play the most patrician shit
My local npr station also plays great music

I don't know where you live but it's probably some shithole in the middle of nowhere if your college station plays Lana Del Ray lmao

>thats all currently playing

normies. 90% of listeners are just faggots that want to hear smells like teen spirit type songs over and over. Only the most popular songs. Otherwise the radios would have no audience.

My dream radio station would be like a mellow hipster howard stern that is fucking hilarious and has insane taste in music, a dude that digs deep into those music crates, knows foreign, old, obscure, and weird music like its fucking nothing. has great taste in every genre. but at the same time supports and tries to help break young musician by giving them airtime.

There should also be more talk shows like coast to coast AM.

Radio is so fuking fucked. the corporations raped it and the only thing left will be a corpse rotting away while young people listen to podcasts and music online

How do I set up my own college radio station to run with my mates? Sounds fun.

we have Bob FM in north FL too. i think its everywhere in the south

>ventura highway
I must be a pleb because thats the first time I heard that one

I think we live in the same area. I have this radio station that says we play everything but only plays 80s music (like you said) and late 70s and 80s rock. Occasionally 90s music

More than that. Bob.FM is broadcast in NorCal too.

Liberty?

Olderfag here. Everyone's saying it's the listeners demanding blander programming. Not actually. Up until about the late 1990s, you could have really interesting, diverse programming on stations, often selected by radio djs who knew their stuff and actually cared. Yeah of course it would cover a lot of hits, but a much larger variety, and they'd often dig into non-singles and b-sides, as well as not quite as massive artists.

There were a couple classic rock stations in southern california, and I remember the change, where (even just going by much bigger bands) you could hear pretty much any Zeppelin song, and then just suddenly one day it was the same one or two songs. And the most insipit ones too. Like D'yer Maker by Zeppelin, Money by Floyd, Benny & the Jets by Elton. The number of stations suddenly reduced too.

Turns out it was this one company, Clear Channel, who were buying up all the big radio stations - across every major format - in every state. And they had the same really limited programming for every station. I mean, yes, we're supposedly in 'information capitalism' by this point, where the companies are basing their product on market research, but I think one might give people maybe a little bit more credit than that and suggest that anyone who actually cared about what they were listening to noticed the drop in quality and quantity of songs. Normal radio has sucked ever since, but this was just a few years before Napster / Audiogalaxy etc happened, which diversified listening habits even more than before, so *shrug*

What is the best radio station ever, and why is it

>K.L.O.N. Los Angeles! Clone Radio! We play the songs that sound more everyone else than anyone else

Don't you guys have college radio stations that play whatever they want?

>tfw I have my own college radio show now
>mfw my first one got cancelled tonight because of some basketball game