Literally anyone can wank on an acoustic guitar. What makes this guy so special?

Literally anyone can wank on an acoustic guitar. What makes this guy so special?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/36hjbBON3WM
youtu.be/9KAYO3WhZ4M
youtu.be/pOO5CTZtmPU
youtu.be/3buw_X5pDeY
vocaroo.com/i/s1JDcaOhTRTY
youtu.be/lD03hcvyL54
youtube.com/watch?v=1mlhaDsmVd0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like his melodies. No other guitarist within the same genre comes close for me, and I've listened to many.

I could probably be just as good as him

He can wank harder and longer than most others.

Doesn’t sound like guitar wanking to me, it sounds like music.

Here’s some shitty acoustic guitar wanking and I have no doubt it’s extremely difficult ether way: youtu.be/36hjbBON3WM

Try playing Sligo River Blues at the right pace. It's very difficult. Not to mention he created an entire genre of music basically. Not trying to suck his dick or whatever, but the guy was very influential in his approach to blues music. I guess you could call it that. I'm not much of a musician myself but some of his songs are incredible.

You know how people praise Elliott Smith for his interesting chord progressions? It's the same with Fahey except Fahey essentially created a genre or subgenre of music.

Anyway general folk, country, whatever thread?

youtu.be/9KAYO3WhZ4M

I've never liked Fahey that much. I really haven't.

I like guys like Six Organs of Admittance or Jack Rose much more because even though they classify as primitivism or at least primitivism influenced, there's a psychedelic focus on their music

youtu.be/pOO5CTZtmPU

youtu.be/3buw_X5pDeY

Maybe you could.
Maybe.
But you didn't.

Well, that's good for you. I wish you luck with your guitar playing.

thanks

vocaroo.com/i/s1JDcaOhTRTY

>tfw you play just as good as fahey

No one had ever done shit like that before. He took american folk tradition and juxtaposed it with the meditative improvisation of eastern music. Guy was a genius

He's dead boring to me but I think people like the songs and not necessarily the playing.

>shitty acoustic guitar wanking
And yet the woman at 0:28 can barely hold back the tears. You have no soul.

I very much do have a soul, that’s why I can see through a bunch of percussive guitar tricks.

Listen to Leo Kottke, John Renbourn or Bert Jansch for some virtuosity that’s excellent at the same time.

This is pretty good

Do you ever use open C?

it was internet sarcasm. I agree with Kottke but Jansch I haven't got yet.

yes of course

lmao im sorry but i agree.. doesnt make me feel too much at all bro. trust me i'm "sensitive"

Bert Jansch is the dogs bollocks. My goal as a guitarist is to get to this level, have only been playing for eight months so it’s going to take a while. youtu.be/lD03hcvyL54

As a singer I have been told “you sound like Bert Jansch but better” so at least that bit is covered.

He didn't get wanky until the 90s when he started doing butt paintings and making albums that had only four notes to each song, like city of refuge for example. But even then that album is actually pretty good if you take it in context. There's a real quiet sense of existential dread that pervades it, kinda like you're hearing the sounds of a man who has reached the absolute pinnacle of his craft and realised his once prized form of expression has left him with nowhere to go but to the grave.
youtube.com/watch?v=1mlhaDsmVd0

When compared to something like fare forward voyagers, it doesn't stand a chance against that record's sense of scope, ambition and conceptual unity. But the tonalities, improvisational character and droning/hypnotic quality are still all there. Even if he gave up on being a technical virtuoso, he still had a way of making the guitar speak that no one could even come close to imitating.

Christ that clip you posted is just so unbelievably boring. I think I can vaguely see what he was trying to do but I don’t have the patience for it.