no, seriously, how?

i'm gonna eat your ass

How can I do my hair like this?

I think it's a wig

ugly

No u

dye it those colors
dont wash it for a month

zzzzz. wake me up when a pop artist writes music with techniques influenced by bach, like grimes did:

>In small-ensemble situations (typified by the jazz and classical chamber groups) sonic interest is principally achieved through variations in scale, chord progression, time signature, and tempo (aspects known as the horizontal axis elements of music in music theory circles - since they're rendered horizontally in standard music notation) rather than through variations in sonic texture and timbre.

>In contrast to this, large ensemble situations (typified by layered/sample based music - ala Grimes - and classical orchestra/organ music) the opposite is true. Sonic interest is primarily achieved through variations of sonic texture and timbre (aspects known as the vertical axis elements of music in music theory - since they rendered vertically standard music notation) brought about by combining individual samples/instruments together in constantly changing configurations, while leaving the horizontal axis elements relatively untouched.

>One of the best classical examples of this latter method is Bach's Passacaglia in C Minor (originally written for organ, but transcribed here beautifully imo for full orchestra.Notice how, despite its extended running time and constantly variating sound, the horizontal axis elements described earlier are very simply defined and NEVER change (the entire song's chord progression consists of the same 4 chords repeated ad nauseum.)

>This is the sort of context in which the complexity of Grimes' music (especially regarding her earlier stuff) is based; constant, conscious variations in sound quality rather than formal structure.

>Most Grimes songs are verse-chorus-verse (unlike classical). In fact, they're nearly always close to verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. Sometimes with intros, outros, and pre-choruses, sometimes extended a bit in her longer songs, but still pretty much following the pop "macro structure" formula.

She looks like a black guy

yeah, but did Grimes work with classical composer John Tavener? Was Grimes considered a genius by him? Was she influenced by Stockhausen? Did she get to sit down and have a conversation with Arvo Part?

I want to kill myself

why user? so do I and probably I will very soon

not yet, because she's still in the early stages of her career.
speaking of arvo part:
>“One of the most intense experiences of my life was when, do you know Arvo Pärt? I did acid and I put on his album and I climbed the mountain [Montreal’s central Mount Royal] and it was in like, four feet of snow, and it was the most glorious life-changing experience of my life. I climbed straight up, and I hurt myself; I was covered in blood when I came down. I was soaking wet and covered in blood and people were just staring at me but it was like…cause I was climbing on the rocks, cause I just climbed straight up and I was falling and it was cold so I couldn’t feel it, so I was like cutting myself on everything.”
dummymag.com/new-music/grimes-interview-so-many-worlds

did bjork have a similar experience?

so she had to take drugs in order to "get" Arvo Part

Bjork appreciates Arvo Part from a compositional standpoint because she was classically-trained

Things aren't going to get better

>so she had to take drugs in order to "get" Arvo Part
you're making assumptions. she had to take drugs because she was addicted then.
>Bjork appreciates Arvo Part from a compositional standpoint because she was classically-trained
all nice and well, but apparently grimes could appreciate his music on a visceral level, which is more authentic.

You gonna listen to any music when you do it? Like how Ian Curtis had Iggy Pop playing when he hanged himself for example. I've genuinely thought about this, and there's quite a few tracks in particular that I'd play if it ever came down to it, but I think I'd probably spend so much time deciding which one to use I'd just not do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=2pxvXI1i9cw
youtube.com/watch?v=FXfY5wNvAn0
youtube.com/watch?v=LuYNidNgQic
youtube.com/watch?v=5OVvJOeUdUs
youtube.com/watch?v=yihAVFgITjk
youtube.com/watch?v=ztKNzjgshfY

Grimes took some drugs and listened to a meme composer, she blogged about it because she thought it made her cool. That's her shitty teenager personality at work, she's exceptionally self-important. She tried to shout at Beyonce before as she should expect her to catch it

what song?

Dubs

it's just like 4 bars of 4/4 with an 8th note at the end, don't get too excited

2 bars srry

>Early stages
Grimes is 5 albums in. Even counting her pre-Debut work, by 5 albums in Bjork was dropping Homogenic and reaching musical heights Grimes hasn't come anywhere near. All the influences and experiences in the world don't mean shit if one is just making better music than the other.

Bump

In my sleep

hold on: bjork started her career in 1975. even leaving that album aside, you forgot about her career with the sugarcubes, kukl and other projects. 6 years into her professional career, bjork didn't even release 'debut', ffs. when bjork was 27 (the same age grimes released her masterpiece art angels), again she didn't release 'debut' yet.
art angels was in a way her own 'post' - wildly eclectic and all over the place. how could you be so sure that grimes' own homogenic isn't ahead of her? maybe even her next album.

>Unironically comparing an amateur like Grimes to Bjork

>one is just making better music than the other
so, grimes is making music better than bjork. good that we established that. bjork is everything but a great songwriter. that's her weak spot: she can't make great songs, only occassionally. her latest album was such a dull indulgent crap.

Grimes is everything but a great songwriter. that's her weak spot: she can't make great songs, only occassionally. her latest album was such a dull indulgent crap.

ever heard of david vs goliath? grimes is david.

in art it has no importance if you're a pro or amateur but if your music is relatable to your audience. another very important thing in art: authenticity. grimes makes 99% of her art on her own, unlike bjork.

nice try but actually grimes could write so many great songs...

Wasn't grimes in a band with Braids and Sean Nicholas Savage

Alright, so you're saying Grimes is better because she's relatable to you. i.e. "everything I like is good, what you like is shit." Good attitude /s
What did I expect, it's Sup Forums ffs.

hi guys, patrician here
bjork is better than grimes

>bach
y'know the most pleb composer

zzzzz. wake me up when she done lookin like a bridge troll

she wasn't. she just collaborated with them (mostly backing vocals).
you can't be a patrician with such a pleb, common, dull opinion. patricians like noble, special, authentic things like grimes.

They were on two of his records before they spread out and did their own thing. I dont know why these details are now scrubbed from the Internet. Big deal though

bach transcended such labels. the pleb music of his time was folk music.
she never looked like a bridge troll. she had a few ugly pics like anyone else but the bulk of her pics are great.

It's been 2 years user

what do you mean?

youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30&t=49s
>Justin Bieber
>blink 182
>madonna
HOWLING

If i was grimes i would want to people to think i magically came up with capable work just spontaneously and without any past experience or important influences from friends. Big deal though

You've been jerking off your ego on here for a solid 2 years

>bach transcended such labels. the pleb music of his time was folk music.
Spoken like a true plebbitor

the only thing that matters in music is time signature

Bjork has been an icon for decades. Grimes gets good Pitchfork reviews and is praised by nu-males on Sup Forums

Plebeian is thinking unusual time signatures is a sign of good songwriting
alone

Patrician is realizing that it doesn’t matter and letting the unusual time signatures manifest organically instead of forcing them

(You)

shit argument. just because bjork is an icon for decades, does that mean there couldn't be another younger icon? grow up, nu-male. update your icon database; there's a new icon in town: grimes.
>Grimes gets good Pitchfork reviews and is praised by nu-males on Sup Forums
and bjork doesn't?

So do people genuinely enjoy her post-Biophilia stuff or are they acting like they do because it's artistic?

Remember all her friends were 90s drum and bass dudes now she's friends with pretentious art types

penis lol

come on now

this is a sad thing: how she rejected those old collaborators and started making arty drivel featuring hacks like arca.
after bjork will be gone, people will remember her for her '90s albums + vespertine, not for what she released after that.

>Remember all her friends were 90s drum and bass dudes now she's friends with pretentious art types
Makes me really sad because even the artsy types she hung with before now weren't as obnoxious as these guys. I think her getting cheated on and then her best friend dying really fucked her up.

I want to stick my 17 cm penis in Bjork 8 times if you know what I mean

I don't get it.

I can't believe i fell in love with donkey kong

Name one artist who's best album wasn't one of their first 5. Her output wasn't going to get any better.

quads confirm

killing joke
peter gabriel (including genesis)
david bowie
r.e.m.
depeche mode

Her music isn't catchy anymore. She stopped being catchy after Volta because her music started sucking

What is your favorite Killing Joke album user?

pandemonium or their second s/t album. i love night time and brighter than a thousands suns too.

unfortunately this. i don't know what happened to her, but it's like she doesn't like good melodies anymore. compare hyperballad with crap like body memory. huge difference in quality.
is there any bjork fan who genuinely prefers her later work over her first 4 albums?

Very good

Is Bjork still fertile?

Will Oldham toured with bjork
all bjork fans should listen to him, not because they're similar but because everyone should.

Every jazz and classical musician con earth basically.
Wich says a lot about pop related music "artists"

Here's a (you) for some Talk Talk. I've almost died to that song already, id drank a fifth and was listening to that when i decided to also take all the temazepam i had left, which amounted to around 500mg

I woke up apparently fine, but people have died from much much less, with the respiratory failure from alcohol+benzo combo being pretty severe. When i do finally off myself in a more direct manner i don't think ill be listening to music.

claire

i forgot to mention that i dig also democracy and absolute dissent. and ofc their debut album.

Can we ever have a bork thread without having it end up as a grimeth thread

Speaking of Talk Talk, imo Runeii is the saddest song ever written. Holy shit that melody breaks me.

why not discussing the new bork? everything about bork has already been said.

>Bach
I would say she looks a lot more like Beethoven

The RuPaul's Drag Race crowd. Which is 75% of her fanbase now.

They're not even remotely similar

I don't.

But I don't understand why people count Medúlla as one of her lower-quality albums. It's incredibly melodic and so beautiful. Her first 5 albums are perfect.

Volta is okay. Biophilia is bretty good. Vulnicura is meh. Utopia is trash.

Talk Talk, especially new grass, is too beautiful to kill yourself to. It would give me hope and make me not want to do it

sad indeed. i hope bjork has at least one more good album in her.

>Grimes likes listening to Arvo Part.

Arvo Part admires Bjork and almost cries with joy at her analysis of his work, having finally been understood by another genius.
youtu.be/2QTxvmlA95Q

The contrast says it all.
/thread

medulla is a little too out there for most people. i like about half of its songs. it's not a bad album by any measure.

Not much of a Bjork fan, but why do Grimes people infiltrate and shit up every single thread pertaining to any female musician? They did the same to the Kate Bush thread. Why can't they act like normal people?

fair enough. tbch i don't understand why arvo part is so praised. most of his music does nothing to me.
>inb4 pleb

It's one guy.

>shit up
why do you call arguments as "shit up"? this is a music board, bruh. why do you want to hinder free form discussion? thank grimes fans for bumping this thread that otherwise would be dead already.

Because it's spam. This is not a Grimes thread.

Also don't call me "bruh" you white faggot.

pleb

>1:11
>starts doing random vocalizations
I love bork so much

Thanks for bumping my thread man.

don't call me white faggot, friend

>Making bat noises in live version of Its Oh So Quiet
2.10ish.
youtu.be/V-58I81gySE
Theres just nobody like her.

what a spaz

more like a dolphin