/Shugazi/ -Shoegaze General- シューゲイズ

tfw no qt3.14 Japanese shugazu animated gf edition.

What is Shoegaze?
>Shoegazing (or shoegaze) is a subgenre of indie rock, alternative rock, and neo-psychedelia that emerged in the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. The style is typified by the blurring of component musical parts (typically significant guitar distortion, feedback and obscured vocals) into indistinguishable mixtures of sound.

How do I get into Shoegaze?
>Charts
i.imgur.com/7qTftV7.jpg
i.imgur.com/YG2woOz.jpg (different version)
i.imgur.com/oGLPvbV.jpg
i.imgur.com/jEQQIXp.jpg
i.imgur.com/Y6apdVL.jpg
i.imgur.com/2x46AzV.jpg
i.imgur.com/zDeAusc.jpg
i.imgur.com/AZmPGUq.jpg
i.imgur.com/PPbP69W.jpg

Is there any Discord server?
>Official /Shugazi/ Discord server:
discord.gg/HsybeXg

astrobrite is underrated, i'm pretty convinced whitenoisesuperstar was the pinnacle of the genre.

how many of you have depression problems

i only have depression when sober.
thank god i'm in a permanent state of drunkness and xanax now.

Which types of pedals are essential for shoegaze bass?

Is shoegaze the favorite genre of people with depression

Probably

yeah, it feels like a warm emotional blanket

Copped this on vinyl the other day and have already played it 3 times, blissful

I have it as well, probably the best Shoegaze album ever.

>I believe that the so-called shoegaze movement of bands is essentially just a gang of pretentious art school kids trying to create noise, but they’re putting emphasis on some sort of cool, mysterious, sexy factor by obscuring the vocals and creating some hazy, druggy “atmosphere”. Every one of these bands seem to have this woman in the front, acting provocatively on stage, wearing tons of makeup, and making some type of peculiar moaning tribal sex noise instead of singing legible lyrics. Underneath all the noise and obscured vocals, it’s just your basic pop-rock, just pure bubblegum pop that’s been peddled on your local radio station by the record company for the past 50 years. Same song structure, same basic premise at the core of it. But since there’s a loud reverb-laden guitar it’s so deep, so original, so creative.

When people regard a group like Slowdive or Lush or Jesus and Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine as the pinnacle of noise, or call these groups innovative and challenging in any way, I throw up in my mouth a little. People regard this mindless pop as noise, instead of listening to an actual noise group like The Jesus Lizard or Girls Against Boys. This shit is the reason that the development of British music has stagnated over the past 15 years, and will continue to do so.

What did he mean by this?

I've ruminated on that for some time now, and I've concluded that, while Just For a Day is the better, more enjoyable album, Loveless is still for me the most seminal shoegaze album there is, really encapsulates the genre to a T. Both amazing albums, of course.

not anymore

He's jealous that a bunch of people took an artsy approach to noise and created blissful and lush music while he didn't.

>the basic song structure isn't new, therefore the genre is tried and no different from any other pop music
I was going to say "this guy is way to classically trained," but even with classical music he's wrong: composers like Satie or Debussy added atmosphere to a tried structure, it was nothing "thoroughly groundbreaking," per se, but what they added, the emotion and obscurity, is precisely what makes their music unique. Same thing for shoegaze. Sometimes making small changes can lead to some major effects, like upbeat songs transcribed into G major.

Do you guys like Pale Saints?
I discovered Comfort of Maness and is very comfy.

The Jesus Lizard and Girls Against Boys are buttnoise just like everything touched by Albini.

Listen to In Ribbons, it's really good.

Well, Debussy is important for other reasons. Namely for continuing the disregard for functional harmony and using complex harmonies, both innovations I wouldn't mind seeing more of in shoegaze.

In all fairness I know fairly little about classical music, I was just trying to point out how wrong that guy was not only about shoegaze but music as a whole.

Yay

What's the most depressing shugazi song you've ever heard?

Not me I'm medicated

Seconding this question but for guitar

don't know many people that refer to Slowdive, Lush, or even JaMC and MBV as noise

Just chorus and reverb I'd guess, maybe fuzz if you're feeling fun

I don't understand why Whirr/Distressor is so underappreciated. It's my favourite shoegaze album after the Loveless/Soulvaki and a lot of people I follow on last.fm seem to share that opinion. Yet it never appears in any of this charts. How?

love astrobrite

depression drowns everything out for me most of the time, i can play shoegaze louder than my depression. I believe many people who like shoegaze feel the same way

compressor, chorus and fuzz