Audio: 0/10

How the fuck do I mix a movie properly?

The explosions and background noises is 200% while the fucking people talking is 50%. I can't hear SHIT!

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/218949/htg-explains-why-the-dialogue-on-your-hdtv-is-too-quiet/
lifehacker.com/5920290/how-to-fix-movies-that-are-really-quiet-then-really-loud
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Use iTunes instead.

I'm serious, it just works. Had this problem for years before I switched to iTunes. iTunes is great.

fuck off apple fag

A lot of DVD/BR releases mix for 5.1 or even 7.1 sound. So when you play in stereo the mix is all wrong.

howtogeek.com/218949/htg-explains-why-the-dialogue-on-your-hdtv-is-too-quiet/

iTunes automatically fixes this. It's awesome! I don't understand why anyone would use something other than iTunes...

step 1: stop using vlc

step 2: use something that downmixes to stereo.

Since you're using vlc, you're obviously retarded, so just use itunes.

So is there nothing to be done on VLC?

That's what you get for using a player "that just works."

What about MPC-HC?

Its called proper sound. Explosions are loud in real life, and they should be loud in movies.

fuck off you fucking sound fags

Literally can't hear people talk, fammo.

fucken love itunes

Use kodi. It has a lot of audio options, including downmixing surround to stereo

Have you tried Apple? I really like iTunes and Apple has really been doing some great things recently.

Shut up, pajeet

>I can't hear SHIT!
I use mpv on a shitty computer. I had the same problem. To fix the problem I use the following CLI switch: "--af=drc=2:0.75".

What does that mean?
"af" mean audio filter.
"drc" means dynamic range compression is applied: "This maximizes the volume by compressing the audio signal's dynamic range." (From the man page). I don't have the link I used to fix my problem, here is a link talking about a possible vlc solution:
lifehacker.com/5920290/how-to-fix-movies-that-are-really-quiet-then-really-loud

TL;DR: dynamic range compression

Lol, or just use iTunes.

please use realplayer please

is this some new meme i dont know about

it's just one retard trying to justify his love for turds.

Let's be honest here, given the choice between using a command line interface switch
>--af=drc=2:0.75
or just launching iTunes, how can you really call iTunes the turd of the two?

>Lol, or just use iTunes.
iTunes automatically shits on the dynamic range of movies you watch? I don't think people who have decent hardware would like that.

The problem isn't the software. Having really loud sounds and really soft sounds doesn't work well when you don't have great hardware.

>or just launching iTunes
Using iTunes would require the same adjustment.

>stop using vlc
>stop downloading transcodes
problem solved

iTunes just works, have you used it?

Enable this setting if you have it.

If that's not enough, enable these settings as well. Of course they only work for DTS and AC3 encoded audio. If you're downloading yify mp3 bullshit, live wth your stupidity.

or, simply use iTunes

Options>Audio Switchers>Enable custom channel mapping>set it to 2 (probably is by default)

lol

the lengths you people go to not use itunes is astonishing

VLC?
Have you tried to enable the "normalize volume"?

Have you tried simply using itunes?

That would put me into jail user

t. downs

Maybe stop downloading YIFY like encodes with atrocious 96kbps audio.

These days I don't even look at the video specs, only at audio.
If the encoder bothered to make the audio of decent quality, the video is more than likely on par with it too.

>The explosions and background noises is 200% while the fucking people talking is 50%

It's intended to be that way when it's mixed, it would make no sense if the explosions were just slightly louder in volume compared to dialogue.
It's the same thing in the cinema, you hear dialogue fine and the explosions literally shake your seat because of sheer loudness, but you don't complain in the cinema ofcourse because cinema is not the same as your room with mommy complaining about the loud bangs.

You can download additional dynamic compressions add ons, but be aware that you will take away from the intended experience with it.

Also what this guy says

I'm not having this problem with any of the media I play in iTunes.

The reason yify sounds bad is because he encodes the audio to mp3, which generally speaking avoids the dynamic range compression settings that are enabled by default in VLC and other media players. Its not merely that the audio is low quality.

Both of you probably have dynamic range compression enabled and you don't even realize it.

>watching movie
>quiet as shit
>turn it up to 200%
>BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
>eardrums explode

just use itunes

hi im nikki blonsky from the movie hairspray and i use itunes.

belly or gtfo

>The reason yify sounds bad is because he encodes the audio to mp3

the format got nothing to do with it, but the bitrate encoding which never goes beyond 96-128kbps

You need to enable Dynamic Volume on your Onkyo 5.1 system, unless you want explosions and gunshots to sound like the real thing and would like your entire block to listen along.

Honestly the best solution is itunes. /thread

>the solution is itunes
>not that one setting that's enabled in itunes and can be used in all other programs
computer illiterate fisherprice mac retards, kys

In the case of player like VLC, which enabled dynamic range compression of AC3 and DTS by default but not MP3, it absolutely has something to do with it.

Low bitrate might make the problem worse since it makes the loud parts very noisy, but it doesn't end up creating a greater dynamic range to a point at which dialog becomes inaudible.

Seriously, even high quality DTS tracks can have this SUPERLOUD and ultraquiet problem when played on a home cinema set up where dynamic range compression isn't enabled. Loads of people who don't have any deeper understanding of this issue will always say its a problem with the speakers or the bitrate.

Thanks YIFY

>watching films in stereo

I thought you guys were patrician

Surround sound is a gimmick. What you want is headphones and a subwoofer built into your couch.

well if you don't wanna have your parents knock on your basement door KEK MATE HOW PATHETIC IS YOU

the subwoofer alone should take care of that.