They didn't trust Americans to understand what Philosopher meant

>they didn't trust Americans to understand what Philosopher meant
why are american audiences so stupid?

Is this real?

Sure is mate

They thought that a child would not want to read a book with the word "philosopher" in the title

because most Americans have never heard of the Philosopher's Stone. We've certainly heard of philosophers, like Plato or Aristotle. Not really the kind of thing little kids want to read about so they changed it to sorcerer. Makes sense, although I'm sure the HP books would have been hits if they left the title alone.

>Americans are stupid
No wonder they liked this franchise so much. Seriously, it goes without saying that this is indeed one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises.

Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>american children cant be trusted to not be retarded
>all other countries children can
really makes you think

Are you an adult?

How the fuck would you expect anyone to have a following? The renamed it so by word of mouth people would know the book and movie were about wizards

isn't the target audience for that movie and book 8-10 year old children?

>had no trouble selling in the UK, europe and Australia
>americans are too stupid to look past a title
top kek.

Most children in other countries have not heard of it either. That is what makes it a good title that entices children. Problem is American children are apparently considered too dumb to entertain the possibility that a concept they were not aware of could be of interest.

>le too stupid meme
America is oversaturated with media. And they wanted it to catch on and it did

You're literally wrong
See

>oversaturated
>implying other western countries don't get exactly the same amount of media as America
It caught on everywhere else as well, without the name change for stupid americans.

>Don't know what a philosopher is
>Know what a sorcerer is

>American education

This tbqh.

You're just proving OP's point by acting like the word "philosopher" is somehow inaccessible. It's not, you're just dumb.

Philosopher means a high thinker.

Socerer lets you know without reading that its about wizards

Best intro yet, well done

Kek, you sound like a typical Amerifat who doesn't realise their way of life isn't particularly unique. Everywhere in the west is heavily saturated with media, but only you are retarded.

Oh my god that's seriously the level of hand-holding you need? Jesus wept, you're actually too dumb to know you're dumb

>oversaturated
Top kek. Keep doing the mental gymnastics, friend. I bet you also believe you don't have a gun problem, but a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem, right?

I thought it was some copyright thing.

>american education

yeesh

Top lel over 100 million gun owners didn't kill anyone yesterday or today? But we should all give up our rights? Because if we make it illegal criminals surely will follow the laws. Like just make killing illegal

>mass shootings are okay because 100 million gun owners didn't kill anyone yesterday or today

Exactly you heard me cuck. You think I give a shit?