twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

dude weed

Gene Deitch Hobbit > all of them

pipeweed =/= marijuana

why does gollum look like a literal frog

why is there no tauriel

>why is there no tauriel
literally hackson fanfic oc

The 1978 animated LOTR genuinely made me feel scared as a kid. Especially the scene when the Hobbits are hiding from the Nazgul in The Shire, under that tree root.

The whole thing has a dark tone to it.

I was probably about 8 or 9 years old when I watched it in the 90s. Still sticks with me to this day.

>why is there no tauriel
Hahahahaahahahahaha
hahahahahaahahahaha

She was the worst thing the the Hobbit. Yes, worse than the barrel ride.

I prefer the animated Return of the King. The songs in that were amazing.

This scene was absolute kino too youtube.com/watch?v=am-piARxy4U

I can see why.

The barrel ride scene was fine, fucking meme criticism and autism shitting on it because of literally two seconds gopro shots. Only problem with it was Legolas.

Because rotoscoping looks fucking scary as hell. You think it's a kid's story, but the tone and the way it's drawn is pretty dark. I dropped my jaw when Gandalf fell down with the Balgrog as a kid, "killing" off such an important character in such a dark story was really shocking to my 7 year old self.

>Bilbo is a 50 year old man
>Princess Mika Milovana is a child and Bilbo himself acknowledges this
>falls in love with her months later
>marries her

What did he mean by this?

Nice. I'll have to rewatch it again.

>Because rotoscoping looks fucking scary as hell.
Oh is that what that animation style is called? Yeah, that was a big contributing factor to it making me feel uneasy. Plus the Hobbits were drawn like creatures with big teeth, big noses and gray/brown-tinted skin, whereas in the new LOTR they're just small people with soft/children's skin so they're easy on the eyes.

Her character was all the more annoying because all I could think about was how good many of the changes and original additions to LOTR were by comparison. Unfortunately they just lost all sense of subtlety and proportion.

Funny enough, as a child I always imagined Hobbits looking exactly like in all the cartoon adaptations (before I even watched them). So Jackson's version was actually a bit odd to me.

I think you film real people and draw/animate on top of them, it looks really weird (uncanny valley?).

Essentially yes, but there are different tiers of how realistic you make it. Disney filmed a lot of its scenes with real actors to get a feel for the weight and movement of the characters in a situation, then animated over it in their own style.

why am I getting anime vibes from this?

because it's good

>Only problem with it was Legolas.
When looking at a scene you look at all the elements. If you removed Legolas the scene wouldn't work because then the orcs would kill all the Dwarves who were literally sitting ducks.

So the barrel scene was not fine because of the reason you mentioned yourself.

Actually

The Hobbit was animated by Topcraft, a now-defunct Japanese animation studio whose animation team would re-form as Studio Ghibli under Hayao Miyazaki.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topcraft

neat

theyre both shite

>american accents

fuck OFF

Rankin-Bass collaborated with Japanese animation studios a couple times. Their Frosty adaption was animated by Mushi production, and Dezaki was the animation director

dude look mong

WAIT

YOU MEAN GHIBLI MADE THE ANIMATED RETURN OF THE KING?

Maybe quirky teenage girls will start to like the animated Hobbit now.

Sorry to inerrupt... Ha.

Not just the rotoscoping. Those slo-mo shots of orcs getting killed with blood splattering behind them was pretty intense for a little kid.

Blame Yoshitaka Amano

wait, amano was involved somehow?

Nah, just shitposting, fàm.

dang you got my hopes up, i'd love to see his version of tolkien

Boromir's death was also brutal.