Your top 5 Sci-fi movies

Just watched pic related and realized I've been starved of sci-fi. Let's see your toplist

starship troopers

that is about it for me

edge of tomorrow

Blade Runner
Dune
Minority Report
Edge of Tomorrow

Predestination
Edge of tomorrow
Primer
Inception
Robocop

I've never followed any sci-fi tv-series, is there anyone worthwhile to see?

I remember people seeing the Stargate stuff when I grew up, are they any good?

Some scifi series to get you started

Stargate SG 1
Star trek
Black mirror

Terminator
Robocop
Alien
The Thing
Empire
Runner up: Blade Runner

The 80s where truly the pinnacle of sci-fi

Soylent Green
Silent Running
The Andromeda Strain
Strange Days
The 13th Floor

Kino tier:
Solaris
Stalker
Ghost on the Shell
Akira

Decent tier:
Children on Men
Blade Runner

Shit tier:
Interstellar
Inception

akira is garbage

>Stalker
>sci-fi

Barbarella
Galaxy of Terror
Battle Beyond the Stars
Krull
Dark Star

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5, The Expanse

>Children on men

Reported

>Not the 70's
Fuck you and your slasher flicks/space operas

>including that little bit of quasi-truth at the end to sell the rest of the bait

Consider adding 'Twelve Monkeys' and 'Dark City' to your list for future bait

I don't know shit about Star Trek, but there's several runs (or reboots?) of it, right?

Which one should a pleb like me start with?

Farscape

event horizon

The only one you need to watch is the original series with Kirk, Spock, McCoy etc.

There are a lot of Deep Space Nine fags on this board but ignore them because it is absolutely the worst of all the Treks including Enterprise.

So you start chronologically in order of production:
TOS, TNG, Voyager, Enterprise. Deep Space Nine just skip completely but if you must, it fits in between TNG and Voyager but overlaps them both by a couple years either side.

How can you even remotely hate this movie? You are just trying to troll, right?

Shit visuals
Shit story
Shit acting
Shit characters
Shit movie.

Babylon 5, first and foremost. It is the literal mothership of sci-fi TV.

Then give BSG a try - it goes tits up in the middle of season 3, but still worth watching (GOAT soundtrack).

And then in no particular order:

Stargate SG-1 (fuck the spin offs)
Star Trek: DS9 (and Voyager if you're a NEET)
The Expanse (only 1 season out so far).

>Which one should a pleb like me start with?

Well, the original "Star Trek" has a couple really seminal works in it and then a lot of super goofy episodes. It's an entertaining show but it's basically the exploits of Space Americans bringing FREEDOM AND PROSPERITY to everyone they meet and a good dicking from Captain James T. Kirk

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" isn't exactly a reboot, it's a sequel set 50 years or 150 years or something in the future (far enough into the future that they have some technology that the original show didn't), I think it's overall better (after the first season) and, while it's got action, you could literally listen to it without watching the screen (like a radio play) and you'd understand everything going on and be told an excellent (usually) story.

I liked Deep Space 9 but it's a bit of a departure from the general tone set by TNG, honestly it's basically Star Trek: Babylon 5. The original concept for DS9 is that it's a backwater region of space owned by a non-federation race being harassed by space germans who are about on the federation's level of technology, so while the federation doesn't like what the space germans (Cardassians) were doing, they weren't doing much to oppose it.

Until a giant stable wormhole was found near the "Deepspace 9" space station leading to an unknown quadrant of space, which immediately makes DS9 go from the last assignment for a somewhat washed up federation space captain, to a vital Federation asset. But somehow they never get the giant shot in the arm of Federation assets that such an important station would have gotten

GitS is also garbage. It's pseudo-philosophical nonsense wrapped in an admittedly good soundtrack and (animated) cinematography. The story and characters are worthless. I don't understand why it gets so much praise. It needed at least another 30mins to flesh out the plot.

Children of Men
Solaris
Minority Report
Altered States

GitS is great. Sure it borrows from Shadowrun, Snow Crash, etc but it also expands on and elaborates on the ideas from other works to present a pretty compelling scifi world.

You should try the GitS anime series, the characters are still unlikable assholes and the stories are pretty convoluted political plans-within-plans-within-plans intrigue (when it's not goofy filler), but they get to build the world a lot more.

The only redeemable characters are the singing spider tanks and the rookie beat cop that refuses to get robot eyes.

>Star Trek: The Motion Picture
>Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
>Starship Troopers
>Total Recall
>Interstellar

I prefer TV though, you get longer to deal with the concepts

See pic related for which Star Treks to watch, also:
>The X-Files
>Fringe
>Person of Interest
>Dirk Gently
>Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency