So

So...
Did anyone here like pic related?

I'm still not sure if I hate it or what.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's not to like?

What is there to like?

You tell me

The double reversal was executed really poorly, and maybe even ruined the whole thing.

The movie takes all this time building up confusion and dread and atmosphere and then in the last twenty minutes flings all this shit in your face without pausing to reflect on any of it. The climax is basically a drawn-out "no u".

This guy -> answered -> Huge build up for nothing.
It sucks.

agreed. Koreans sometimes can do it, but mostly they have all the hype and build up, but no going out with a bang. Wailing was waaaaay far too long for its own good

doesn't help that there is no logic whatsoever. The last 30 minutes is full of twists that directly contradict everything that comes before.

It's all so pointless.

or you just don't understood it.

It was far better than eg. the praised Lady Vengeance crap, even with the first clumsy cop and the silly zombie fight scene

Why is it that whenever people criticize the end of a movie - particularly horror/thrillers - the first thing detractors say is that they didn't "understand" it?

The end of the Wailing is perfectly easy to understand, the whole thing is very explicit and driven by dialogue. I just felt as if the experience of the meticulously crafted first 130 minutes was undone by the final 20 minutes of FIRST THIS THEN THIS LOL JK ACTUALLY THIS AND NOW THIS

And just to clarify, I think the Wailing was pretty good and I agree that it was better than Lady Vengeance.

But the end still let me down.

>So...
hey reddit

I enjoyed the movie, but I have to agree. It was not the director's best work. I think The Chaser was far superior in the building of suspense.

Shut up all of you, the wailing was the best movie of 2016

oh well if you say so

I liked it, although the last quarter had too much in-explainable shit going on, specifically because its left so open to interpretation it feels like theres nothing actually there.

Was the young shaman always in cahoots? Was he possessed after the locust swarm? Was the old man actually a good shaman who was possessed? Was he actually the devil or some kind of demon all along?
If he wasn't, was he trying to resurrect people for good reasons? Or perhaps stop them from becoming zombies?
Or was that his dark practice?

Like damn dude theres too many options.

>MFW the Japanese guy is literally Satan

Fucking hell Korea get over it

I hate this place. A unique horror movie, with great reply value and of-course you guy's hate it.

The best explanation I saw was that the old Japanese man was a demon, and he sent the locust swarm to remind the young shaman to fulfill whatever agreement they had, and the woman in white was some kind of allegory for God/Jesus

This.

If they took it back a notch i might have enjoyed it but fucking Koreans always overract

Entire movie could have been prevented if the autistic guardian spirit woman just fucking spoke normal for once and not in riddles.

it was just implication because of that weird double twist

if the shaman was working for the devil the whole time, then why when the shaman did his big exorcism thing the devil got hurt?

the director said that late in post production he decided to intentionally remove scenes with important exposition and put some scenes out of order to make the movie more confusing because mystery is scary or some shit.

This could have been a 10/10 movie but the dumbfuck director introduced a bunch of convoluted bullshit and plot holes in order to be more artsy

Name a better horror film made this year, I'll wait.
VVitch is 2015 and Train to Busan in mediocre

green room
don't breathe
conjuring 2

The Village spirit did that to him.

when is that ever said?

I Am Not A Serial Killer

>if the shaman was working for the devil the whole time
he wasn't, he became "possessed" after the ritual failed

No, because he took all the photographs before that.

he did? it's been a while since i seen it desu. then maybe during the ritual the jap dude was supposed to die so that the demon could "switch bodies" to the little kid?

I'll watch it
not for me, also I'll take the wailing over formulaic shit like the conjuring or don't breath any day

Shortly after the Japanese finishes writhing in pain from the "ritual" he sees lady jesus/the village spirit emerge from behind his house, with the implication that she was actually tormenting him - and not the shaman

Go watch the movie again. She follow's the Japanese guy to his house.

Bullshit. The movie is hard as balls to understand, there are tons of details that are almost impossible to get unless you know about Korean folklore.

That said it was an amazing horror movie, with the exception of the zombie fight it was a fucking ride. Best horror ending I've seen in years.

The only real plot-holes were the zombie and the Village spirit, bitch was useless

The exorcism and old demon man getting hurt were unrelated, the editing was purposely misleading to make it look like their was a connection between them.

I liked it but it felt like it was much longer than it needed to be.

The ritual was made to fully possess the MC's daughter. The Devil curses the victims, the shaman finishes the work.

The Devil was getting hurt because of the lady in white, it is shown together with the ritual to trick the audience.

What did the girl in white mean when the guy asked why is this happening to me and she says that it's because he killed the japanese man.

the daughter got possesed long before they go kill him

The ending was up to you to interpret, you fucking mongloid. That is why the movie played tricks on you.
Some can argue that The Stranger was a good guy and a buddhist monk
Some can argue that both The girl in white, Stranger and Shaman were the bad guys

It is up for you to decide

Before the guy killed the japanese man, he was a pure soul that could be protected by the guardian angel. After killing the devil he is a sinner, and so becomes unprotected. At this point the curse is irreversible, and the trap that the lady puts at the end is to catch the shaman, not to save his daughter (who is already doomed).

That's what I read in some article at least.

No the trap is to protect the daughter, but it gets broken if anyone passes through it.

He doesn't believe her and passes through it and it shows the flowers wilting then the daughter kills everyone

That's how it's presented, but from what I read the daughter was already doomed, the trap is for the shaman. MC fucked up by throwing that body down the cliff.

love how already there are many different interpretations and theories, reminds me of the shining in that sense

Did the article give any indication as to why the other families were murdered, though?

so I searched for the explanation, it was this:
youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798

I think I was wrong about the end, he truly could have saved the daughter by not entering.

the fact that no one in this thread understood it and had to look up a video in order to figure it out means the film failed on some level.

this isn't a case of something being ambiguous or open to interpretation, they just failed to communicate their exposition.

Yeah it's bullshit.

I still greatly enjoyed it though.

Are all Korean movies this steeped in anti-Jap racism?

It wasn't human and the father's choice was a big part of the way to get rid of the demon.

What was so hard to understand? I don't get anons not getting the movie.

there's no way of "understanding" it. The director himself said it's up to personal interpretation, i.e. nothing in the film is definitive or has one answer.

It was very good. The first 2/3 were just okay, but the final scenes, where they intercut the dialogues between the monk/priest and the protagonist/woman in white, were GOAT.

pleb

>the whole thing is very explicit
What the fuck are you talking about? They barely explain anything, and many elements are designed to mislead the viewer. Example: the bird in the soy sauce. These ambiguities are what allows the reversals at the end to work so well.

The video is just one subjective interpretation.

I find stupid when anons ask for a clean perfect explanation of a movie, and more when is a horror movie. Is even more stupid when they think folcklore is somehow incomplete or lazy because doesn't explain everything. Is like americans doesn't have myths and traditions so they behave like idiots everytime something is more than explotions.

>What was so hard to understand
At the end of the movie, did you understand:
>what is the meaning of the crow in the sauce
>what was the shaman doing during the ritual
>the meaning of the "plague" at the end
>what was the jap doing with all the pictures
>why was the lady in white throwing stones

If you couldn't answer all of these questions then you can't say you "got" the movie.

Yes, I understood all of them.

KOREANS SCREAMING

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Explain them. 1 minute for each.

Flawed, but I enjoyed it.

Thought the anti-jap thing was pretty hilariously overt though.

He who is without sin cast the first stone

Not that user but i'll take a shot
>what is the meaning of the crow in the sauce
While watching the movie i thought it was something the evil jap put on the house to curse them, but the video that was previously posted makes more sense, being that the crow in the pot was there to protect the famili and was put there by the girl in white
>what was the shaman doing during the ritual
Possessing the little girl with the evil spirit i guess
It was the curse executed byt the evil jap
>what was the jap doing with all the pictures
Dunno, spoonfeed pls
A christian alegory maybe? Something to do with “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone"

>>what was the jap doing with all the pictures
He take's pictures of the dead to take they soul's
The jap calling him back to finish the job

I had no idea what the fuck was going on at any point, and it wasn't scary.