What accounts for this disparity?

What accounts for this disparity?

here's your (you), don't spend it all in one place

This is the same movie where the ship only had one autodoc for it's 5000 passengers.

She was clearly rich to begin with

her white women privilege

passengers just got a china release late in game.

Hello big bucks.

Are you seriously going to act like anyone on earth actually watched this piece of shit?

Clearly everyone in the future is an engineer or mechanic therefore on the low scale.

In RL mechanics are mostly low-paid. It's dirty, hard work and since cars are everywhere, it's super common. She was the daughter of a famous author so she had money from birth.

>blue collar workers are low class
And this is surprising how?

He should have put her back to sleep

Him deciding he'd fulfilled his destiny as a mechanic by saving the ship so now he could die and let her write her book would have been at least a little bit emotionally interesting

But on a colony planet, his skills are going to be in high demand. What does skilles does she have that is useful to creating a civilization from a starting point?

>mechanic skilled at that too
>low class
I'm guessing you thinking welders and plumbers also have measly earnings don't you?

Most writers are bloggers and even poorer.
Screenwriters kissing their own ass

on a new planet their skills would be in high demand

Low class is something beyond money, even though people misconstrue having money is equivalent to class. There are plenty of white trash rich people. And there is the opposite, and impoverished blue bloods.

lots of inherited money?

Now of course I'll concede that with certain careers, you're constrained to be glued to a predefined strata in society, especially with mechanics who'd earn more than they let on but are doomed to be low-class anyways due to them being labelled that way by their job.
But here your social standing doesn't even weigh in on where you'd be on that ship considering that I'm guessing you buy your way in with money, and that no one cares for where you on the social ladder.
S-sorry buddy, not looking to get into a fight. Defending my point is all.

How is money going to help on a colony planet? I would imagine that for at least the first generation there would be little value for money, instead it would be a more communal society, one striving for a singular goal.

Like communism? ;)

Perhaps not on the colony planet, but pre-emptively to their journey, that money would've been eagerly welcomed for the colonization mission to buy themselves some of the essential Earth-produced things they'd need there.
So basically the bitch doesn't have a value to her at all, but you have to her tag along so you can get your hands on her money.

>But on a colony planet, his skills are going to be in high demand.

Except it's not a simple mechanic/engineering job. He has to leave Earth and pretty much never go back. At least not until he's retired, if retirement is even in his contract. He signs his life over to the company, they discount his ride to the planet and set him up on the surface with a job. By the time he gets to the planet, everyone he knew on Earth would be dead. By the time he got back, the kids of everyone he knew would be dead.

It's not exactly some dream job. And the discounts/supplies are part of his pay. So they're not going to send him in utmost luxury. If a company irl paid you to relocate, you're not going to fly first class.

Stop trying to find a plot hole where there isn't one because the movie doesn't suck your STEM dick by making the engineer a god among men.

>jewish hollywood writers put a writer in a high class

wew lad

class has nothing to do with income, my undereducated American friend

as long as the concept of money exists and things can be purchased or sold, then money will have value and usage.

>some guy who takes two programming classes at his community college freaks out because hollywood doesn't make a technical job the most important thing ever

cry more faggot

True, I phrased myself the wrong way, and class might bear different implications in my country too, but that doesn't invalidate that the average mechanic is earning more than the average writer and can buy himself a better ticket.

In America that's exactly how class is organized, my retarded European friend

>How is money going to help on a colony planet?

I'll explain economics to you kiddo. She paid a shit load of money for the gold package. That lots of money means profit for the company who owns the ship and colony. That money goes to maintaining and running the company who owns the ship and colony. The company needs capital in order to purchase labor, pay taxes, build new stuff, supplies, etc.

It's not a public ship or colony. It's about who can afford to go live off planet. Earth, in the movie, is overcrowded and heavily polluted. Living at the colony is a luxury. But the colony needs workers as well as wealthy inhabitants. So they give workers a very big discount on tickets. However, the workers still have the same socioeconomic status as on Earth because they still have very little money compared to the ones traveling for fun.