/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
imdb.com/title/tt0082176/
robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/more-on-the-hardest-languages-to-learn/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILR_scale#ILR_Level_3_.E2.80.93_Professional_working_proficiency
youtube.com/watch?v=PfpEPjfB12g
spanishdict.com/guide/spanish-imperfect-subjunctive
spanishdict.com/guide/past-perfect-subjunctive-forms
spanishdict.com/guide/spanish-present-perfect-subjunctive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

Actually that is pretty useful/interesting, not so much for me but I'm sure otheres would find that information useful

Maybe you should consider editing the Russian guide, or making an addendum of some sort with your own thoughts?

Mmm all right, but I can only comment on the "Absolute Beginner" and "Beginner" sections, and I don't know if it's very smart of me to shit on someone's work while being such a newbie.

>wants to learn languages
>absolutely hates interacting with other people

Anyone else have this problem?

learn a dead language like latin, ancient greek, or classical chinese.

Those are too hard though.

Learn a programming language

>faggot Leaves are 90% of this thread's posts
>this thread made me spill my beer, now my keyboard smells like a brewery
>leafs responsible due to their Obama-tier Leftist-shitposting

Fucking Canada was a mistake. Too bad the War of 1812 didn't conquer Fagada. We should try it again as soon as we get rid of Leftist fruitcakes today. I foresee that when Fagafornia falls and Faggywood starts to bomb, you lefties will be forced back into Canada, speaking a bastardized French that only a Fagadian would love.

Meanwhile, we Americans will continue to learn Spanish at an alarming level.

only a little harder than a living language

About to enter uni and want to study a language, at least have to for the requirement. I already have decent knowledge of French and am thinking of just continuing it there starting at second year since that would likely help me become fluent faster, especially since I have motivation issues. At the same time though I think I could finish learning it on my own, and maybe I'd be better off studying another language at uni, especially a more difficult one, and that'd maybe be more useful and educational?

Idk what to do yet really or what necessarily I'm getting at by posting this here, guess I'd just appreciate opinions on this and on learning a language at uni or minoring in one in general.

I'd say just take French, especially if you have motivation and/or discipline issues, in which case it'll really help. Not to mention that it's never recommend to study more than one language at the same time.

not necessarily difficult, personally I'm learning koine (greek) because my university is doing "free" courses and they told me that it is easier then to learn the classic and modern if you know the koine

>What language are you learning?
Portuguese (Brazilian)

>Share language learning experiences!
Started about 2 years ago in August 2015, in preparation for attending the Olympics in Rio. It was my first international trip alone and first to a non-English speaking country, so I wanted to be as prepared as I could. I used Pimsleur, Anki, and Duolingo in varying amounts. Also met a penpal on Interpals who I both wrote to and had a few skype sessions with. Continued all of the above after the trip, but with much less drive/regularity, since the main motivating force for doing it RIGHT NOW was gone. I was still interested in the language, though.

Finally finished the Duolingo course several weeks ago. I've tried moving on to other content sources, and it's definitely harder to acquire new vocabulary and requires more self discipline to get something out of the practice time. My main practice methods now are watching closed captioned news shows and reading target language websites (news and reddit). Sometimes I listen to Portuguese ASMR videos. I've never been formally tested or anything, but I feel like my current skills are overall about A2 level, B1 in contexts which favor my established vocabulary.

Even though progress feels slow, I get a solid spark of joy when I understand a few sentences in a row, and a smaller one when I get the gist of a news report just through recognizing bits and pieces. I want to make a lifelong hobby of language learning, especially if I can structure a better process for myself. Once I get to overall B2 level, I want to start learning Spanish (hopefully easy due to similarity), then once that gets to the same level, branch out into undecided other languages. Languages I'd like to at least try eventually include, in no particular order, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Swahili, and Navajo. If I decide to go to the Tokyo Olympics, I'll probably cram some Japanese over the course of the preceding year.

>Navajo
why exactly?

It seems like it would be extremely challenging to learn, to say the least.

For example, "I love you" in Navajo is "ayóóʼánííníshʼní".
>ayóo (“very”) + á- (“thus”) + ni- (2nd-person object prefix) + yíní- (“directed at”) + sh- (1st-person subject prefix) + -d- (classifier) + -ní (neuter imperfective stem of -NIID (“to feel, want, desire, love”)

Phonetically speaking it's also not the easiest of languages.

It just seems really interesting to try a complicated agglutinative language like that, and I like the idea of trying out a Native American language.

I doubt I'll be come fluent in more than one or two of those languages, but it'd be still be cool to just dive in and learn all about how it works, especially if I could get a good teacher.

How much does accent matter? I have been practicing Spanish for a while now and have gotten decent at it. I am getting better at pronunciation and emphasizing the correct vowel and syllable of words but I feel that my accent will always be pretty poor.

tfw I did not start learning another language until my 20s...

How do I make this language less ugly?

It's defective. "Я пью вoдy" is an imperfective construction, and given that it's inherently present tense it just means "I am drinking / I drink water", in a generic sense. You can specify partitiveness with "нeмнoгo вoды" like in English.

Perfective "я выпью вoдy" becomes future tense. It's not possible to express the perfective aspect in the present tense; only the past and future are available.

Basically, the partitive in Russians is defective (incomplete), but for what it's worth, it is still used regularly whenever applicable.

Age really doesn't matter. For accent try finding someone specific to mimic. Someone with a lot of content like an actor or tv personality.

How many languages call the fruit orange the same as the color orange?

Chinese does and I'm wondering if it's a coincidence

Is Windtalkers your favorite movie?

We do but with a slight difference.
πορτοkάλι is orange.
πορτοkαλί is the color.
Only the accent/stress changes.

Well it changes slightly in Chinese too but it's almost identical

橙色 For colour
橙子 For fruit

For Europe

Oranje is the colour, sinaasappel is the fruit (lit. china's apple)

well that doesn't say anything about the color

delete

>china's apple
Interesting. We firstly imported oranges from the Portuguese (they imported them from China) so our word for the fruit is a variant of the word "Portugal".

How hard is it to learn Hindi? I understand the writing system will take some getting used to, but is the grammar really all that difficult?

Boa sorte irmão. Projeto ambicioso esse seu.

how the FUCK do i learn pinyin

>check out that lingvist thing
>neat, there's an estonian thing there
>check it out, first word is thank you
>write kiitos since no idea what it actually is
>turns out it's Aitäh
Top kek, in Finnish that would mean "Huh?" when you don't really understand or hear what someone is saying

On a more serious note, can anyone recommend some good German films/TV shows, trying to get back up to speed with my German since I want to take some German courses on the side of my uni studies. Already seen/downloaded Das Boot; Unsere Mütter, unsere Vater; Deutschland 83; Goodbye Lenin; Der Untergang and Das Leben der anderen

imdb.com/title/tt0082176/

I'm currently learning German, I wonder if any of you know what augsburger puppenkiste is, I saw some videos on youtube and I'm trying to do immersion by watching them.

Can someone reinforce for me that you don't have to be smart to learn a language, just work hard? Is that really true? Or does it just mean "if you are retarded it will take you 5,000 hours to get decent rather than 600 if you weren't retarded."?

t. dumbanon

>effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
you just need time

Sounds hard.

The Hindi script is quite opaque to Westerners, some of whom say that Chinese script is easier. You speak one way if you are talking to a man or a woman, and you also need to take into account whether you as speaker are male or female. Gender is also as prominent as in Spanish; you have to remember whether any given noun is masculine or feminine.Hindi is definitely an IE language by its rich system of gender, case and number inflection.

The most difficult aspects of Hindi are the pronunciation and the case system. In addition, Hindi is split ergative, and not only that, but it actually has a tripartite ergative system, and the ergativity is split by tense like in Persian.

The distinction between aspirated/unaspirated and alveolar/retroflex consonants is hard for many to make. There is a four-way distinction ion the t and d sounds with aspirated/unaspirated dental and aspirated/unaspirated retroflex t‘s and d‘s. The are three different r sounds – one that sounds like the English r and two retroflex r‘s that are quite hard to make or even distinguish, especially at the end of a word. Hindi also has nasalized vowels.

If you come from a language that has case, Hindi’s case system will not be overly difficult.

In addition, there is a completely separate word for each number from 1-100, which seems unnecessarily complicated.

However, Hindi has a number of cognates with English. I am not sure if they are Indic loans into English or they share a common root going back to Proto-Indo-European (PIE).

Nevertheless, Hindi typically gets a high score in ratings of difficult languages to learn. Based on this high score across multiple surveys, we will give it a relatively high rating.

Hindi is rated 4, very hard to learn.

robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/more-on-the-hardest-languages-to-learn/

Thanks. So using that 600 class hours over 24 weeks, that's 25 hours per week or 3.5 hours per day. I'm at ~3 hours per day, bit more on the weekends, now so hopefully by end of the year I can be at ILR3:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILR_scale#ILR_Level_3_.E2.80.93_Professional_working_proficiency

benny lewis did a blogpost about that
look it up

>"""""""""""Fluent in 3 months"""""""""""""" Benny Lewis

i never said that his strats work for everyone
just that he recommended some films

I recommend you start slowly, go at your own pace unless you have an incredible strength of will

I have the power of autism, which among the only upsides is strength of will in a hobby.

what language are you trying to learn user?

What's the closest language to Russian and in how much time can I learn it if I already speak Russian?

Russian, Rusyn, Ukrainian and Belarusian make up the East Slavic group, but I couldn't tell you how long it takes to learn one if you speak the other.

Spanish. I'm older too so hoping that doesn't delay me too much. I have lots of people around me that speak Spanish to practice with, although right now 70 hours or so in over the last month and a half I'd struggling to say much.

I'd == I'm *

Hmm thanks, do you know how close is Polish to Russian? Polish seems like an useful language

for all the ancient gods please don't learn the Mexican accent, I know it can be tempting as they are next door but do not do it
>youtube.com/watch?v=PfpEPjfB12g
paul made a video about it (almost)

Live in a Buddhist monastery

I work with Cubans, and know a few Venezuelans. I'm not sure who to mimic.

A bit hard for me since I'm a beginner in Russian and I don't speak Polish, however, I'm low-intermediate in Czech which is quite close to Polish.

Comparing Czech to Russian, I would say that you will have an easier time learning the grammar, since you have already mastered aspects, and the case system. Czech and Polish also have a vocative case, but that's very easy. So far, I'm finding the logic behind the grammar to be very similar. For example, the way the past and future tenses are expressed is nearly identical and the case endings are similar.

Polish and Russian are still different languages and not mutually intelligible at all, but you'll have a way easier time than if you didn't know Russian.

Is anyone here learning a language using resources from your second language? Like you speak English natively but have fluently learned Russian and are now using Russian resources to learn German.

I remember reading this is a great idea.

pretty much any non-english native here

Is it even worthwhile memorising the endings that normally indicate gender for nouns, or will I just pick them up on a case by case basis?

Where does German fit in that graph? Dutch and Swedish are easy so I suppose German is too.

Is it worth learning Turkish? For some reason I find it to sound really mellow/gentle.

I'm studying Turkish for personal reasons but with the way current politics are it might be useful down the line.

Cut off half my post on accident.
If you follow the link posted with the chart they list German as slightly harder than Dutch and others. 750 hours instead of 600ish hours.

This

Worth it? I don't know. I just enjoy Turkish for some reason.

>I just enjoy Turkish for some reason.
>t. turk

:^)

I'm white and 100% Germanic.

I dunno, it just seems so mellow and pleasing to the ear. People don't seem to like it because of all the guttural/low throat sounds but that's what endears me to the sound, desu

the official "istanbul" turkish isnt guttural at all but regional dialects, specially around konya/karaman region or southeast turkey are sort of guttural.

Mari user here

So I got a new reply, and for some reason the guy on VK decided to answer using a relatively complicated construction instead of just simple babby-tier terms, and I'm really not fucking sure if I understand part of his post (though at least I understand the other part where I think he directly answers my question).

I probably should have asked him if he could explain in English or Russian, but now I feel like it's too late, I just cannot ask him yet again to explain.

Just say "thanks, I think I sort of get it"

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing

I'll just wait a bit on the off-chance that someone else provides some input

Is it going to be difficult to understand other regional variants for a non native speaker?

Hello everyone, and much love. I have several questions I think you can help me with.
Now, the n00b question: How hard is Korean, for a Turkish speaker familiar with agglunation?
And now, Spanish-specific questions:
1-How do you say 'the box which contained the diamonds'?
a)La caja que contenía los diamantes
b)La caja cual contenía los diamantes
c)La caja la cual contenía los diamantes
I'd normally say a) but I haven't been studying for 2 weeks and had last studied how to connect sentences using cual or donde (anything but que, really).
2-How do you use and conjugate the past and future subjunctives? And do you use perfect tense subjunctives at all, like past perfect subjunctive?

Thanks in advance should you help me. And as always, I can help you with Turkish.

not really unless the speaker speaks really fast, it ll maybe take some 5 minutes to get used to it.

How can I write better in English? Where can I practice?

I can read and listen to pretty much every bit of information, but I struggle a lot to write comprehensive texts. I have a huge vocabulary but it is like I don't know when to use the most adequate words.

I am looking forward to getting a CPE next year, but I have to drastically improve my writing before I take the test. I am not taking any chances.

>Where can I practice?

/brit/ threads

What language?

how do you say "Please cuddle me" and "I want to be your pet human" in Turkish?

>bana sokul
>evcil insanın olmak istiyorum
das gay btw

German.

I'm learning german as well, the only ones I've found use memorizing are -chen indicating a neuter and -ung and -heit indicating a feminine. I think you shouldn't worry about memorizing them right off the bat, as the words arrange themselves into sentences the patterns become obvious anyway.

it's not that much easier

how about "I love you mommy" and "I want to fall asleep on your lap"?

seni seviyorum anneciğim
kucağında uyuyup kalmak istiyorum

Accent doesn't really matter as long as you pronounce the words correctly.

a) is the best option, b) is wrong, and c) should be "la caja, la cual contenía los diamantes", which would be translated as "the box, the one which contained the diamonds".

Don't learn the future subjunctive, it isn't used anymore, just in law legislation and such.

Imperfect subjunctive: spanishdict.com/guide/spanish-imperfect-subjunctive

Past perfect subjunctive: spanishdict.com/guide/past-perfect-subjunctive-forms

What do you call a type of sentence that doesn't just state something, it also is another action itself? For instance when couples say "I do" they do not only say something, they also perform another action, they make a promise. When a boss says "you're fired'< he's not just stating the fact that you don't work for him anymore, he is performing an action, i.e. firing you. I had a brain fart and forgot it, it's driving me nuts trying to remember

last one before bed
how do you say "Please lead me around on a leash" and "you're a goddess"?

Also how do you pronunce ğ?

>And now, Spanish-specific questions:
>1-How do you say 'the box which contained the diamonds'?
>a)La caja que contenía los diamantes
>b)La caja cual contenía los diamantes
>c)La caja la cual contenía los diamantes
>I'd normally say a) but I haven't been studying for 2 weeks and had last studied how to connect sentences using cual or donde (anything but que, really).
a) and c) are correct but are used slightly differently. You normally write a comma and make a pause before using "el/la cual".

>2-How do you use and conjugate the past and future subjunctives?
You don't need the future subjunctive unless 1.) you're a lawyer, 2.) you care about medieval and Renaissance Spanish literature. It's extremely rare nowadays outside the law.

This page does a very good job explaining the conjugation and use of the "past subjunctive" (its more common name is "imperfect subjunctive"):
spanishdict.com/guide/spanish-imperfect-subjunctive

>And do you use perfect tense subjunctives at all, like past perfect subjunctive?
Yes and they're perfectly normal. Haya hecho, hubiera/hubiese hecho.

These spanishdict.com pages seem good as well:
spanishdict.com/guide/spanish-present-perfect-subjunctive
spanishdict.com/guide/past-perfect-subjunctive-forms