Your highness. The transmission we received. What is it they've sent us?

>Your highness. The transmission we received. What is it they've sent us?

>- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Fucking really?!

That cgi looks absolutely fucking terrifying.

Memes aside, the overuse of the word "hope" was one of my bigger gripes with the movie. There must have been 5 or 6 big moments that were basically just "muh hope"

In a movie that overall did a really good job of adding to the depth of the universe rather than recycling it (perfect antithesis to TFA in that regard), the hope stuff was an odd choice.

>In a movie that overall did a really good job of adding to the depth of the universe rather than recycling it
What depth did it add?

>I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me. I am one with the force and the force is with me.

>depth
LOL

it's as generic a movie as they come. it added literally nothing.

That looks like a Second Life Avatar.

>That cgi looks absolutely fucking terrifying.
leia's golem was only on screen for a couple seconds and it didn't look too bad in motion

Tarkin's just kept coming back up again and again. they way overestimated how good it was

I just watched her two documentaries she has on HBO.

Do you think Carrie Fisher took her role as Leia seriously?

>"The Young Pope"

What did she mean by this? Catch The Young Popeā„¢, premiering soon only on HBO ;^)

So why was she on this ship in the first place?

Plot convenience.

nobody said "hey what if you made her face a little broader, you know, like the real one"

No one took Star Wars seriously. It was this cheesy sci fi flick that everyone working on including Lucas believed would flop horribly.

Damn I just realized this.

I actually loved the movie at first and I thought it was an amazing tie in, but why the fuck was an Imperial Senator on a rebel Flagship that was engaged with imperial forces?

It makes less and less sense the more you think about it

Yeah but what about the other ones? After the first one was a huge success.

If she takes off that headcloth will she die?

I remember the first PlayStation, too. Don't recall they many Star Wars games on it.

>Memes aside, the overuse of the word "hope" was one of my bigger gripes with the movie. There must have been 5 or 6 big moments that were basically just "muh hope"

its a great send off and tribute to president obama, our first black president, who had 2 terms and is going out with a sky high approval rating

Especially since they specifically had dialogue of her father saying he was sending her to get Obi-Wan.

i dont know.

>Retconned one of the bigger criticisms of ANH: Why the hell they built such a convenient achilles heel into the Death Star

>Told a story about people OTHER than fucking Jedis for once. Just normal people trying to accomplish something seemingly impossible. There's gravity and weight to everything, the action doesn't feel ridiculous like the prequels, or unsatisfying like TFA

>Actually makes the eventual destruction of the death star MORE satisfying because we see all the effort and sacrifices that went into it

>We see that the rebellion isn't a pure good, nor the empire a pure evil. The rebellion does some shady stuff and the empire provides some stability to parts of the galaxy. Obviously the rebels are more good and the empire more evil, but it's not so cartoonishly simplistic

I guess what I mean is, it informs the Star Wars movies that came before it about as much as those existing movies inform this one. This is in stark contrast to what TFA did, which is take and take and take material from the previous movies without adding anything.

Rogue One wasn't perfect, there's some cheesy movie trope stuff that they would have been better off without, but overall if they're going to keep churning out SW movies until we're all sick of them, I'd much rather they kept making movies more like Rogue One and less like TFA.

>see this .png
>keep expecting eyes to move

Fucking creepy pic bro

It was so stupid: the whole point of her being there was because "they were on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan." Yet now it's clear that the Tantive escaped narrow capture after a full blown fucking op against the Empire, which utterly retcon'd Leia's play at deniability in the beginning of IV

>"We're just on a diplomatic mission guise!"

Don't the fucking femmypeeny retard "progressives" at Disney even do research on the shit they work on?

>Darth Vader: [addressing the Tantive IV's captain, whom he is interrogating] Where are those transmissions you intercepted? WHAT have you DONE with those plans?

>[holding Captain Antilles off the floor, the Captain's feet are dangling at Vader's knees]

>Captain Antilles: We intercepted no transmissions...

>[gasps]

>Captain Antilles: ... This is a consular ship... We're on a -

>[chokes]

>Captain Antilles: diplomatic mission...

>Darth Vader: [shouting] If this is a consular ship, WHERE is the ambassador?

>[Antilles dies before he can answer, and Vader throws the man's body against the wall, narrowly missing 2 stormtroopers]

>Darth Vader: Commander, tear this ship apart until you find those plans! And bring me all passengers, I want them ALIVE!

Disney in charge of not knowing shit about anything

>Princess Leia Organa: Darth Vader. Only you could be so bold. The Imperial Senate will not sit still for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplomatic...

>Darth Vader: Don't act so surprised, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.

>Princess Leia Organa: I don't know what you're talking about. I am a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan...

>Darth Vader: You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHASHASHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHASHASHAHASHASHGSDYASDHJASHAJAHAHAJAJAJ Rogue One is a pile of garbage

>Retconned one of the bigger criticisms of ANH: Why the hell they built such a convenient achilles heel into the Death Star
Were all the other engineers in on it? What about the people who built the exhaust? No one during the construction of the death star asked why the exhaust vent is there? No admiral or general had to approve the plans? They just blindly trusted a dude who didn't even want to do it in the first place?

>Told a story about people OTHER than fucking Jedis for once.
Except the super-force sensitive blind asian man who is like a jedi sans lightsaber.

>There's gravity and weight to everything
Except we know they get the plans, so it makes the whole movie pointless.

>Actually makes the eventual destruction of the death star MORE satisfying because we see all the effort and sacrifices that went into it
Sacrifices by people we don't care about. We care about them as much as the x-wing fighters who died in ANH.

>We see that the rebellion isn't a pure good, nor the empire a pure evil.
How isn't the empire shown as pure evil? Who are the good guys on the Empire's side?

>This is in stark contrast to what TFA did, which is take and take and take material from the previous movies without adding anything.
And this movie didn't take? They shoved in R2D2 and C3PO for fucks sake among everything else. This movie was pure fan service.

>I'd much rather they kept making movies more like Rogue One and less like TFA.
With empty characters, full of mindless action and platitudes? No thanks.

Fuck off man, I still carry the weight of Porkins' death with me

>the empire provides some stability to parts of the galaxy
What? You me when they blow up a city full of civilians?

Or they murder their own engineers?

Or when they blow up a base full of their own men?

He was the boss.

The point is he wasn't a jedi.

You know the good guys will win in every movie.

meme

The guy who built the flaw was in the Empire.

The movie fleshed out the entire opening crawl. And fan service isn't a valid critique.

meme. TFA characters sucked as well.

It was like that preR1 as well.

>meme
>can't think of anything in response
>replies with "meme".

Rogue One didn't make us care about any of the characters. That's basic film making.

>meme. TFA characters sucked as well.
Again with the "meme". I never said TFA was good.

>You know the good guys will win in every movie.
Except this wasn't that kind of situation. We know they get the plans because we saw A New Hope, a movie that has been out for 40 years.

shut the fuck up and buy your extra large popcorn and diet coke you fucking mindless sheep

I walked out after that scene, what a bunch of bullshit

>Rogue One didn't make us care about any of the characters
Neither did TFA so that's moot.

Your point? You don't judge a movie's merit based on your knowledge of things outside of it. It's about the journey not the destination. Don't be stupid.

Were the LOTR movies bad because the books had been out for 50+ years?

Why do all rogue one defenders bring up TFA?

If you have to compare your movie to a piece of dogshit to defend it, just what the fuck are you doing with your life

Its like they subconsciously know everyone will laught at them anyway so they brace their inevitable lampooning by trashing George Lucas or TFA to try and throw shit posters off their trail

>n-no you see this douche is vastly superior to this turd sandwich

>Neither did TFA so that's moot.
You keep bringing up TFA. Even though I told you I don't think TFA was good. And Rogue One actually was worse than TFA.

> Attack of the Clones
> Clones don't attack them until the next movie

>And Rogue One actually was worse than TFA.
Exactly why I bring it up. People who think TFA was better than R1 are retarded. Plain and simple.

was killing carrie fisher part of thier plan?

I chose my words carefully. I said R1 is worse than TFA.

TFA is shit, R1 is worse. You're the retard who liked R1. It's a shit star wars movie and it's a shit movie on its own merits.

And you should read his words carefully. You're the retard who thinks TFA is better than anything. Get your head out of your arse.

You are trying too hard to be contrarian.

But it was. TFA is like a 2/5 where as Rogue One is like maybe a 1/5 and even that is generous.

Rogue One is the absolute worst movie I've seen in a very long time

So let me get this straight: Episode 4 never happened? It was all a holographic movie sent to Leia?

WTF I HATE DISNEY NOW

>lmao bro I know you just BTFO'd me but somehow you are the fedora tipper

I thought Luke was the new hope. Now it's frickin' Death Star plans? DROPPED

>Rogue One is the absolute worst movie I've seen in a very long time

ITT: autists don't know what a cover story is, as in "that's my story and I'm sticking to it!"

>It was so stupid: the whole point of her being there was because "they were on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan."
Jesus fucking christ. Did you ever read the opening crawl? They were NEVER on a diplomatic mission you tard.

Ask Lucas in 1977.

Did these guys totally miss the part where Vader wasn't buying any of it?

This ^^^^^

The scene in New Hope essentially boils down to
>Fuck you Vader we're just doing diplomacy
>Are you fucking kidding me? We KNOW those dickbag rebels just sent that data to this ship.
>Nope
>Yes they did, take her away.

looks like a snapchat filter

Tarkin's figure was on screen for several minutes, with only fleeting looks at the face, and always shrouded in darkness. This together with the craggy nature and old-man stiffness of the character juuust kept me out of the uncanny valley, personally.

That five seconds of Leia was a great big huge EWWWW, and was uncanny as fuck, and a terrible coda yet also deeply poignant in view of recent events contemporaneous with the film's release . They honestly should have struck that with some sort of textual or non-visual representation of Leia, if they still wanted to make the story point.

Also I personally found the repeated mentions of /hope/ in the flick to be the dopiest piece of writing, and only JUST NOW am I connecting it with the original film's subtitular namesake. My forehead, I slap it.

>recieved a transmission
But they recieved a data disk...

>I walked out after that scene, what a bunch of bullshit
I hope you did. The movie was fucking over right after it.

>pratending to be retarded

It's practically a meme by this time user. Get with the time.

Just watched the beginning of A New Hope last night because I wanted to see what the quality of the Despecialized edition looked like, and it's like they literally just took Carrie Fisher's face from the beginning of that movie and photoshopped it into Rogue One. They look almost identical. I think the reason people shit their pants over this is because Carrie Fisher's looks actually drastically changed over her lifetime and we were mostly used to the horrific version that was presented to us in The Force Awakens. So shut the fuck up is what i'm saying

I watched RO in theaters and yea, Leia's face looked off, but not NEARLY as much as Tarkin's. I was expecting the opposite.

no it's the uncanny valley effect. to some people almost-but-not human faces are inherently creepy.

>horrific

She was a 60 year old grandma at the time

I haven't particularly thought of TFA with reference to R1, in describing my feelings about the latter.

The central thing about R1 for me is that it was an actual decent entertainment. Not great, but blessedly /kinda good/, which I haven't even expected. It's the first time that I have actually kinda liked watching a Star Wars movie in the theater since the re-release of Jedi 20 years ago. Watching Star Wars movies has become this sort of morbid activity where I go see the thing just once, in the theater, on general principles, and never bother about it again. Specifically, I have seen the following exactly once in my life, and only in the theater: II, III, TFA, and R1. I saw PM three times, but I was a kid and I was drunk on the kool-aid. During later screenings jar-jar started to wear, and I started go to ugh. II is where it really sunk in how turgid and shit these things really are. III was /barely/ better but it at least had a darker tone and stayed true to the then-established lore of how Vader came to be.

So for me, my central thing about these newer flicks is that they are actually kinda all right, whereas the prequels were and are dogshit, and people who defend them over these are suffering from a false young millenial nostalgia, as opposed to the true gen x/old millenial nostalgia which correctly vindicates the originals, their practical effects, their puppets, their models, their simplicity, their cheese. part of R1's appeal is that is is in the immediate vicinity of the originals, being closer to them than any of the others, and the thing reads just fine like one of those old secondary canon stories that I remember reading (a comparison: immediatley following the events of Jedi is the Truce at Bakura, so R1 and Truce can be said to be properties that most immediatley bookend the OT).

More importantly, why did Gareth Edwards think this was a good move for his career?

>about to hit a billion gross
Gee, who knows?

R1 was ok as an action movie. The opening sequence with Mads up until the Temple town part was straight up strong, but the assault on the tropical planet got boring quick with all the sci-fi tropes of force shields that needs to be turned on/off and transmissions that need to be uploaded. The very end where everyone died was good though.

Regarding TFA vs prequels I definitely prefer the former. The nostalgia baiting was quite shameless at times, and star killer base definitely was a mistake but Finn and Kylo exceeded my expectations and Ford was solid. The Prequels are just awful. Some of the environments and set pieces are interesting, but there's so much going on all the time with random chase scenes and over-choreographed light sabre fights that nothing has any impact.

say whatever you want about the cgi zombies, but god damn that scene with Darth Vader fucking shit up in the corridor was 11/10

>>about to hit a billion gross
>Gee, who knows?

yeah but Sup Forums doesn't approve, meaning his career is over

I dunno, maybe i'm just outing myself as a blind retard, but while I knew Tarkin was CGI immediately, I wasn't sure if Leia was CG or just a look-alike that they heavily airbrushed.

This. Anyone who says otherwise is a mindless starwars fanboy. When the dust settles, and all the hype dies, they will realize how empty this movie is.

I FUCKING WALKED OUT OF THE THEATRE AT THIS POINT

SUCK MY DICK MOUSE

Nice opinions and thank for the (You). I do have some disagreements, though. I found the whole tropical planet third act to be engaging (if predictable), with at least a variation on the theme of the Battle of Endor, which it clearly aped. I also personally felt that at least one or two of the principal cast ought to have survived. It is a kid's movie after all, and although you realize 'dude, it's STAR WARS. IT'S WAR. IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN EVER SINCE VADER CHOKED THAT FIRST GUY OUT.', nevertheless I think it might have been nice for say the blind guy and his bf to get out, or somesuch.

But now I'm going to put on my OT oldfag cap and expressly defend Jedi, which younglings like to shit on: The Battle of Endor in Jedi is an absolutely masterful sequence, or series of sequences, which edits and cuts just perfick between the three immediately related dramas playing out. There really is so much that's good in Jedi that it just baffles me how people here like to relegate it as the runt of the group, motivated largely by muh Wookiees-cut-in-half. R1 was clearly a variation on that theme (of the battle of endor), but different enough and not to a cringey point like TFA's ANH apes that I could actually enjoy it for the dumb entertainment that it is.

Do you not know anything of Leia's character? Yes it doesn't make sense for a senator/princess to be there. Leia is there solely on her bravado.

nobody gives a fuck what you think you fucking retard shut the hell up

I know Carrie was blushed and made-up in the first film's scenes (still sorta-trying a british accent at this point!), but yeah, that five seconds in R1 is full ICK. I even struggle to look again at the OP's pic.

There is even of course now the doubly necromancy characteristic of resuscitating such a recently dead actress by means of already-completed creepy CGI. A virtual Michael Jackson goes on tour.

I remember being personally angry on watching a commercial with Ripley in the loader suit changing course and advertising some cable provider a few years ago, while in the midst of swatting the queen. Like dude just fuck off with that shit.

They both looked like shit tbqh senpai.

Make me, pederast!

yeah but I could just put up with tarkin while leia was EWW.

This. Really now, of all things to complain, Leia saying she was on a diplomatic mission, clearly a ruse, is not one of them.

slightly underrated

Non shit quality image coming through

This

see this doesn't look so bad to me. couple that with the fact she's only on screen for a couple seconds and it wound up being way less egregious than poor old Tarkin

they should have just had Tarkin communicate through a hologram or something that obscured the CG quality a little. would've been totally fine

Yes let's make this board even shittier than it is by shunning people who tries to motivate their opinions instead of doing something like

>shit ending
>shit special effects
>'muh XXX'

That's because an user has edited this image to make it worse.

I've been writing the long autistic posts and I want you to know that I appreciate your general support.

exactly, and we all hope we never see that mongrel faggot again