Why did post-rock have to die? Will it ever come back, bros?

Why did post-rock have to die? Will it ever come back, bros?

Other urls found in this thread:

dunkfestival.be/#news-home
arcticdrones.com/staff-picks/post-rock-50-best-releases-2017/
rbt.asia/mu/thread/27986906/#27987781
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is the album that killed it, note, that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the album itself.

What makes you say that?

Man shut the fuck up.

No u.

Wasn't the third wave still alive

Maybe? But third wave post-rock mostly pales in comparison to first and second wave anyway.

>Why did post-rock have to die?
Crescendo-core
>Will it ever come back, bros?
If people have actually new, interesting ideas.

Nah man you're not here to discuss music. You're just here to make stupid threads.

This is the album that popularized crescendocore.

OP's doing more to discuss music than you are, though.

Funny how that works out. You're just trolling to get attention and bitch about other people. Stop. Leave Sup Forums.

Oh shut the fuck up, too. We've had this thread so many times by now and it's fucking stupid.
>GY!BE killed postorck
>Crescendo core killed postorck
>Third wave sucks
>Nothing interesting is going on
There is nothing interesting going on in this thread. You know what would be interesting? If OP googled
>2017 post rock
Picked a random album, listened to it, dled it, then stuck it in a sharethread.

Unironically this.

I think you actually killed post-rock. That's why you're so emotional about this thread.

I just believe in promoting personal growth.

Fine, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think post-rock is a ghost town as of right now.

>Why did post-rock have to die?
The scenes became incestuous and started listening to each other as opposed to their original sources of inspiration. Once a set of techniques and aesthetics are codified (as a result of the "genre" label being applied and a scene popping up surrounding the label as opposed to the original scene of people popping up around the music) the music becomes homogenized in the mainstream.

The reason that this is more of a problem in "underground" pop sub-genres is that many of the people who begin making music within this new context and culture are not particularly gifted in the first place.

This can be seen most readily in "post-rock," which was a genre label realized in hindsight as a way of classifying otherwise stylistically and in some cases geographically disparate acts. Any attempt to define post-rock in a pure aesthetic way fails until you reach the third wave of bands, where influence had shifted away from things like krautrock, jazz, minimalism, lounge music, space age pop, folk music, etc. to the more recent bands within the "genre."

>Will it ever come back
There is no coming back because you'd be making "experimental rock" if you started doing things dissimilar to third wave. It's mostly a semantic issue now.

There's a festival that's going to happen this year with post-rock.
dunkfestival.be/#news-home
There were 50+ releases of post-rock in 2017.
arcticdrones.com/staff-picks/post-rock-50-best-releases-2017/

>is that many of the people who begin making music within this new context and culture are not particularly gifted in the first place.
What does this mean?

I think your point about the change in influences for bands in the third wave of post-rock is accurate. Genres run the risk of eventually turning into a big circlejerk.

>tfw I have never listened to this album, or any third-wave post-rock, ever

That sentence was clear.

Yeah, it's pretty apparent. GY!BE and My Bloody Valentine can be considered analogous in this respect, as evidenced by the wealth of shitty shoegaze trying as hard as it can to emulate Loveless.

It was not. What does it mean to not be particularly gifted with music? How would you ever quantify or qualify that?

A genre that prided itself on originality and rejecting traditions became the most bland, predictable, copycat genre in existence. It choked itself to death on the irony.

How many post-rock albums did you listen to in 2015? 2016? 2017?

I stopped in 2014.

It is not my concern that you are upset by simple concepts. The people flocking around a contemporary fashion / "aesthetic" / trend and attempting to ride that wave are in most cases nowhere near approaching the acts which gave rise to these trends.
>How would you ever quantify or qualify that?
It is not necessary to do so, as you can simply listen to third wave acts and have the epiphany that most of them are complete garbage.

So you didn't actually say anything worth a grain of shit.

pretty much this
i would also like to add that post-rock may come back in a form of "revival" like post-punk did

>It is not my concern that you are upset by simple concepts
I asked you a question, friendo. That's all that's going on.
>The people flocking around a contemporary fashion / "aesthetic" / trend and attempting to ride that wave are in most cases nowhere near approaching the acts which gave rise to these trends.
Who?
>It is not necessary to do so
So you're just talking about nothing?
>as you can simply listen to third wave acts and have the epiphany that most of them are complete garbage.
How do you quantify or qualify when music is garbage?

A potential post-rock revival movement could actually turn out to be pretty interesting.

It would be extremely difficult to escape the tropes which now define it. There's only so many trails you can blaze within crescendocore before it dawns on you that you're making the rock equivalent of dubstep drops. Let it stay dead.

I'm saying why myself and a lot of other people dumped the genre a long time ago. I used to be a post-rock fan but it quickly became monotonous. Maybe the scene has changed but I bet myself and a lot of people in my age bracket won't give it another shot for the reason I talked about.

That's why it died or at the very least doesn't have the level of interest it used to. Nothing I said was wrong.

Nice quints.
>Let it stay dead.
How many post-rock albums did you listen to in 2015? 2016? 2017?

>Nothing I said was wrong.
Everything you said was wrong. Imagine defining a genre that saw 50 releases in 2017 with
>monotonous
Sweeping generalizations in music, above all other subjects, are worthless. It's just as devoid of any critical thought as
>The 90s belonged to grunge.
>Metallica is the best metal band.

chances are, it will turn out just as another breed of 'third-wave' acts, like friendo says
any music genre is defined in space and time, iit's a link intertwined in a chain-like tradition
you just can't bring back the 90's - yearly 00's

>I asked you a question, friendo. That's all that's going on.
You asked a shitty "gotcha" question which inevitably leads to you bringing up that quality is subjectively derived and me bringing up Loki's Wager to counter. I've been down this road enough times to spot when a conversation is pointless to have. If you have some notion that there were some extremely gifted musicians making interesting music within the context of the third wave, that's your prerogative. Most of us can see that this is certainly not the case.

>How many post-rock albums did you listen to in 2015? 2016? 2017?
I'm not a complete masochist so I'd estimate the number to be between 5 and 10. None of them were worth remembering otherwise I'd be arguing very differently.

Are you denying that the genre became dominated by very samey sounding acts?

When the average music fan hears the term post rock they instantly hear cresendocore cliches swimming around their head. I'm sure other stuff is happening in the scene but no one gives a fuck any more. The label is tainted. People don't care about the genre the way they did 10 years ago and they never will again.

You are welcome to provide citations that change our minds. Being wrong in this circumstance and losing an ego battle is preferable to being right and watching your favorite style of rock music go to shit.

So you can't qualify or quantify when someone is or isn't gifted with music. Then why would you ever bother saying such a thing. Is that how you have conversations in real life? You just say shit and don't back them up and expect people to go
>Hey, that's a good point.
?
>5 and 10
Over three years? I've listened to maybe 9 post-hardcore records of the entirety of the 90s. They were all incredible. I would not go around saying
>90s post-hardcore is a genre brimming with talent and ambition
Because that's devoid of anything interesting. It's more interesting to mention an album by name, and talk about it.
>Are you denying that the genre became dominated by very samey sounding acts?
Who? What is with you guys and meaningless generalizations?
>People don't care about the genre the way they did 10 years ago and they never will again.
Now that's a more focused statement that actually has some interesting truth in it.
I'm not here to defend post-rock. I'm here challenging the rhetorically stupid status quo thought bubble you and anonymous over there have put yourselves in. Not one critical thought between you both, yet you both claim to have been avid listeners of the genre. Just as vapid and surface level as that one guy saying
>Rock music is dead there are no Jimi Hendrixes anymore

>>There were 50+ releases of post-rock in 2017.
>entered in google "2017 post rock releases
>came to a page named "POST-ROCK LISTENERS’ CHOICE: THE 50 BEST RELEASES OF 2017"
>top contenders are same old bands that are just too old to change (gybe, mogwai, ASIWYFA, hammock, dmst, grails, etc.) and they suck (gybe is good tho)
>others are just their copycats
quantity doesnt mean quality i guess

>I'm here challenging the rhetorically stupid status quo thought bubble you and anonymous over there have put yourselves in.
Only that is pointless. People think and converse in generaliztions and stereotypes. Because generalizations and stereotypes are mostly true and they also save a large amount of time and effort instead of making a proper research on the subject.

>So you can't qualify or quantify when someone is or isn't gifted with music. Then why would you ever bother saying such a thing. Is that how you have conversations in real life? You just say shit and don't back them up and expect people to go...
Already predicted and countered all of this.
>Over three years?
Yes, when it becomes apparent that the scene / genre I enjoy had its heyday between the early 1990's and 2000's, there's no need to repeatedly listen nearly a decade after anything I enjoyed has come out. The stylistic trends which have decidedly been adopted as the ones which define the genre are not what I'm looking for.This isn't a difficult concept and I don't understand why I'm obligated to continue listening to contemporary music played in that style just because it exists.
>It's more interesting to mention an album by name, and talk about it.
And yet, you refuse to do so when presented with
Again, I'm happier to be wrong than I am to be right, but if all you can do is get upset about being making generalizations about a notoriously homogeneous style of music, that's your own problem. Everyone in the thread except you seems to be operating on some level of mutual intelligibility.
>I'm here challenging the rhetorically stupid
So far I've presented the most educated (as in actually listening to and reading about the development of the genre / scenes) explanation in the thread. All you have done is get upset and attempt to start arguments which by your own admission are not rooted in the music itself, merely how upset you are at the rhetoric. You're useless.

Could anyone be able to explain the terms first, second and third wave of post-rock, like each of their characteristics and stuff?

I hope you're wrong but you're most likely correct.

Here's a vague overview. You can find out more by googling about waves of post-rock.

music genre is dead when it's novelty is gone
saying 'post-rock ain't dead cuz there is like 50+ plus releases a year' isn't proving anything, it's just dumb inertia

So in that case hip hop is the only genre that is not dead?

rbt.asia/mu/thread/27986906/#27987781

'hip-hop' is not a music genre, it's way larger than that
boom bap is dead
horror-core is dead

>Unironically getting so buttblasted about someone liking a well-known genre
Lmao

That's what I thought, you cantankerous pseud. Never reply to me again.

RIP sprid. The only other person here I could trust with consistently posting good post-rock releases.

Post-Rock itself as a main genre has been mostly stagnate--however, screamo+post-rock has been surprisingly great.

maybe people in post-rock can experiment with "decrescendos" instead of crescendos...

like what Swans did in the beginning of the Seer's title track - first 4 minutes is like they start with a bunch of instruments and slowly removing them one by one..

i get it is not as exciting as a crescendo, but still, testing new stuff ain't no harm

Do you people have downs? Esmerine, Do Make Say Think and other bands on Constellations are still killing it.
I will admit the genre is in decline, but other genres, such as ambient, have taken its place.

I just wish Quarterstick, Touch and Go, Thrill Jockey and maybe Kranky would put out more post-rock stuff.

And don't get me wrong, I love me some third wave, but it's a whole other genre compared to 2nd wave.

fuck off.

i feel like shit i just want talk talk back

I think the argument that post rock is dead has nothing to do with the quantity of releases or the size of the crowd following it, it's more to do with the fact that it it's at a dead end. There's been no one pushing the boundaries for a long time and the music is just getting more and more generic imo (although I guess that's subjective). Even looking at that "top 50" list the two best albums are albums by bands who released landmark post rock albums in the past and are now releasing inferior stuff because innovation in the genre is so difficult at this point.

>hip hop is not a music genre
>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>>>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>>>>>>hip hop is not a music genre
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hip hop is not a music genre

boom bap and horror-core a subgenres that fall under the hip hop genre wth u talkin about

because post-rock sister is now married with three kids, OP

Who is the lucky guy?

it's me
and now she looks like roseanne barr

Because it has so little to offer
Explosions In The Sky made albums with a certain sound, basic music but pretty as well, and everyone just copied them. That's the entire genere basically

post-rock was contemporary classic for children

no that's the earth is not a cold dead place you're thinking of

Because it was boring, pretentious and unoriginal

Listen to I, Vigilante by Crippled Black Phoenix (I feel pretentious just typing this), anybody can play that whole album.

it was the post rock album to end all post rock albums