It's been 4-5 years

>It's been 4-5 years
Thoughts? I think it got better with time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kZmXLlytvIg
youtube.com/watch?v=5TurAQpptL0
youtube.com/watch?v=oZ-QOQAnGT0&t=382s
twincitiesgeek.com/2015/03/i-am-finally-ready-to-talk-about-my-breakup-with-trent-reznor/
youtu.be/LSRrh7suhqo?t=142
youtube.com/watch?v=iVhDgtx35Po
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i dont have any thoughts on this particular piece of music

Don't care

Yeah, it's pretty damn good. My favorite thing from NIN

Liked it from the beginning, never understood the off the kneejerk dismissal of it but it's been a pattern since The Fragile.

I honestly don't know either, people want Trent to scream, that's probably it, even thought it's not like screams aren't on the album either.

Then you got people who think it's a happy album

>when black noise kicks in

I always thought it was his best sober album. Well, until Not The Actual Events came out.

NTAE and HM are both their own beasts. I don't know which I prefer. I was really surprised at how angry NTAE was

So was I. I know a lot of people liked The Slip, but to me it didn't feel as aggressive and raw as I think it was intended to. NTAE on the other hand really felt like a return to that older sound. Hell, Burning Bright was basically five minutes of noise.

I think this may help
youtu.be/kZmXLlytvIg

The Slip took a long time to grow on me. I can now see the aggressiveness and rawness it has. But I'll admit NTAE punches far harder.

In general it seens like Trent has the edge back. The more aggressive sides of Add Violence are pretty effective too

Year Zero and The Slip eat it for breakfast same for the EPs, easily the least rock album of his, in.turn, it's boring

PUT THE GUN
IN YOUR MOUTH
CLOSE YOUR EYES
BLOW MY FUCKING BRAINS OUT

I'm a synth whore
the second I heard Copy of A I was hooked

Best lyrics from NIN easily

You're right, those rehearsals are awesome.

Hesitation Marks is the modern era Pretty Hate Machine: Blue prints to something even greater.

Reznor always seemed to be holding himself back during the With Teeth to The Slip where he was dabbling in different things but never committing to anything.

What will the next NIN album sound like?

I hope a combination of the 2 (eventually 3) EPs. Like Broken was to TDS

Probably in the minority, but I hope Mariqueen has a hand in it. Some of the lyrics she wrote for HTDA was really cool. She's not a leading vocalist, but she kills in the background for She's Gone Away

>where he was dabbling in different things but never committing to anything
I don't think so. Year Zero was very focused and had plenty of commitment with the ARG and music itself.

The Slip was all about instinct

It's not really what I meant. Consider where he was. He was an aging musician, still freshly sober and he just seemed afraid to commit to one direction. He didn't go back to The Fragile or further back to the past, he didn't commit to the straight up Industrial rock album WT was, or the bleeps and bloops of YZ or the nearly punk/ambiance of The Slip or Ghosts straight Ambiance. He was keeping himself moving so that he didn't fall into a groove.

When he had his breather in HTDA, soundtrack work, breeding an army of Reznorlets and came back to work with Heistation Marks, he seemed he was much more comfortable in his skin. With NTAE and Add Violence, he's now able to go back to his worst days and draw from the dark side he tried to avoid from 2005 - 09

Good point, I think this is why I like Hesitation Marks so much, it's Trent facing his old self without any real filter.

SATELLITE
I'M WATCHING YOU

This describes it pretty well.

I wouldn't call the synth work up beat though, album is catchy, but it gave me more of a creepy feeling.

>When you're told to write a song for a greatest hits album for your old label, but you accidentally an entire album

Funny how that works, worth it though
>said greatest hits album is STILL not finished

a bit of a letdown

what I need is a true masterpiece by trent & co., and I have high expectations, which will most likely and sadly be let down

I just listened to it on my way home.

Absolutely kicks ass, In Two still floors me.

>Hesitation Marks is the modern era Pretty Hate Machine: Blue prints to something even greater.
this is a good statement

Into Oblivion was fantastic, but I don't think he's got it in him to go back to the post-industrial sound for anything but soundtracks now, not a bad thing though

jeez , 4 years already ??

i will give it another try

As all NIN releases, time helps it out a lot. It relaly ranks high for me, I used to like it a lot when it dropped, now I like it even more.

agreed with you with the time thing especially with their later works ...

honestly i'm more into Cortini soundscapes these days but nin will always be a special band for me .

I genuinelly think that Hesitation Marks > The EPs

Yeah, it's a really tight album and the live shows that followed were gorgeous. I'm waiting for EP before I can make up my mine which are better. It's essentially comparing a full album to 2/3rds of an album at the moment.

I guess, I don't mean to diss Eps at all, they are impressive, but Hesitation Marks felt like a much more of an original work so far, you can really hear Trent borrowing things from older materials, especially on NTAE, HM feels like its own works wihout much of self-references, the EPs references old lyrics too much for me.

>Oh shit, I have too many kids going through toddler phase at the same time. I need to keep them hypnotized...
Then Hesitation Marks was born

youtube.com/watch?v=5TurAQpptL0

Patrician in the making right there

*Blocks your path*

youtube.com/watch?v=oZ-QOQAnGT0&t=382s

That's the same machine they used for Add Violence's The Lovers.

Best lyrics from Johnny Cash easily

that's adorable

Loved it from day one, probably still my favorite post-Fragile release but the EPs are pretty close.

Trent never disappoints. Living legend who doesn't currently get the widespread credit he deserves. When he's dead and gone, more people will realize how brilliant he is. Sounds like a total ass-kiss on my part, but I believe this to be true.

I share the same thoughts, I'm afraid people may not realize it even after he passes.

The Downward Spiral and The Fragile will always be respected, but it's a crime his other work doesn't, I would argue he has only gotten better as time went on.

half the album is filler. the good half is great though

>When he's dead and gone
pls don't, user, I literally had a dream last night about the news of him being next and we never got EP3

The album is devoid of filler, every track has some value in it.

>Mfw Trent's EPs will have the same fate as Bowie's "Outside"

>mfw Nine Inch Nails is passed on to his hapa daughter

I SURVIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEED

BUT THIS THING THAT LIVES INSIDE OF MEEEEEEEEEEE
WILL SURELY RISE AND WAKE AND WAKE AND WAAAKE
AND HIS SEED THAT BLEEDS RIGHT THROUGH TO ME
AND IT COMES TO GRAB AND TAKE AND TAKE AND TAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Actually a dark aggressive song

I strongly agree, glad to see someone who feels the same way, I don't understand NIN fans who say that it's "too safe" or "too acessible". Seems like most people didn't give it proper listen.

THE UPWARD SPIRAL!!!! YEAH!!!!
Jokes aside though I always liked it from the very start.

PRETTY PATTERNS

>THE UPWARD SPIRAL
Kek, I remember so many reviewers calling it that to the point it triggers me.

ON THE FLOOR

The Downward Spiral is classic, but starting with The Fragile he only got better.

Definetelly, people will never admit to it. I do love TDS, but he kept on improving afterwards.

That's funny, because I never read any reviews and never have, but I called it that myself back then.

Kek, a lot of people actually have. Probably thanks to the song "Everything" which people thought was super happy at first.

*As a joke of course.

THAT'S ENOUGH FOR YOU

BUT I STILL NEED
MORE, MORE, MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This chick got super triggered by HM

twincitiesgeek.com/2015/03/i-am-finally-ready-to-talk-about-my-breakup-with-trent-reznor/

>But I don’t like it because this album was MADE specifically as a GFY to fans like me. This is his response to people pigeonholing him as the King of the Electro-Goths. Hesitation Marks is so different, and so different ON PURPOSE
Is this what the "goth" fans actually believe? Good think Trent doesn't give a shit about them

that song was one of the most underrated tracks trent's written in recent years... fucking love that one

Wait, which one do you actually mean user?

Mediocre. Trent needs to stop making pop music and make more ambient shit. In my objective opinion.

oh yeah, my bad, I posted while watching still I thought it was just going to be "1 million" but overall the Slip is pretty underrated.

>HM
>Pop shit
>Implying two EPs have been somehow Pop shit too
Ghosts exists, and Trent makes soundtracks, go for those. And Add Violence has "This Isn't The Place" which certainly has ambient shit.
Oh yeah, I think The Slip may be my favorite album, it has this very punkish feeling, with the second being more ambient and experimental, which I also really love, makes it as an amazing album package.

Hesitation Marks seems to make a lot of reference to relapsing, did Trent actually relapse or was he just feeling the temptations and struggling with sobriety?

the temptation of a recovering addict never goes away. I think it's a anxiety fueled album about finally reaching a somewhere safe and the temptation of self destruction is still a bad day away and this time he has a lot more to lose than he had when he was an alcoholic.

The Big Come Down seems to be continue to be a very relevant song

The temptation of a recovering addict never goes away. I think it's an anxiety fueled album about finally reaching a somewhere safe and the temptation of self destruction is still a bad day away and this time he has a lot more to lose than he had when he was an alcoholic.

The Big Come Down seems to be a very relevant song to this day.

What the fuck happened when Trent wrote Everything? I like the rest of the album but Everything might be the worst song he's ever written

pic related is such an underrated gem. Great tracklist and performances.

The temptation of a recovering addict never goes away. I think it's an anxiety fueled album about finally reaching a somewhere safe and the temptation of self destruction is still a bad day away and this time he has a lot more to lose than he had when he was an alcoholic.

The Big Come Down seems to be a very relevant song to this day.

Definetelly this, I don't think Trent ever had a relapse, but well, if he did, I doubt he would ever admit it to the public. I bet he has thought about it, a lot.

He thinks about it to this day, The Lovers is a song about him relapsing and I bet All Time Low is about the same thing.

Hesitation Marks is definetelly a tale, of addiction and mental ilness still staying by your side even in a healthy safe environment with a lot of things to be lost.

There is also plenty of self-loathing in Hesitation Marks (Disappointed, I Would For You, and so on), for good meassure.

It's a good song which has big difference between its choruses and verses, the choruses are fucking loud and abrassive. It's a good song user.
Fuck yeah, I have no reason to listen to Pretty Hate Machine with this around
>That Terrible Lie performance.

>It's a good song which has big difference between its choruses and verses, the choruses are fucking loud and abrassive. It's a good song user.
It sounds like fucking pop punk

>"I was trying to make something that leapt out of the speakers in a very unfamiliar way. At first listen, it might seem to be in praise of life but it's supposed to come off as an arrogant, 'Fuck you. I've survived!' It also gets less triumphant and more reflective and melancholy towards the end."

Like Closer it suffers from one verse/chorus-itis You only pay attention to the first lines but you fall to see the rot in the rest of the song.
Without the offending verse

All the walls begin to dissolve away
Feel your hands begin to shake
And just who you think you used to be
All begins to bend and break

Wave goodbye
Wish me well
I've become something else
Something else
(Just as well, really)

But this thing that lives inside of me
Will surely rise and wake
And his seed that bleeds right through to me
As it comes to grab and take

I am home
I believe
I am home
I am free
I am home
I can see
Always here
Finally

Everything (and Satellite) were originally written for a best of compilation, not part of the album's vision, that's why it sounds so out of place. Real drums and a less obvious Cure-flavour might have helped, but it still has neat parts.

It's Punkinsh new-wave with hints of industrial, it's a really unique track, and honestly. It works.
Concept wise, it seems to work though, and I doubt Trent wouldn't have included these two in if he didn't feel like they didn't fit the album's vision. Those kind of tracks get put into special editions or something.

I wish Everything music video would be a thing, it was supposed to be, but as with almost all NIN music video ideas, it got shutdown.

>I doubt he would ever admit it to the public

If anything I honestly think he'd be the first to admit it. He's been honest about all his problems since he got clean, being brutally frank about his mental health and drug history (not many admit to an early career crack addiction) If he were to relapse, he'd probably jump back into recovery mode.

I always thought that Disappointed perfectly seques into Everything.
Probably, you're right, I was suprised with certain things he revealed over time. Both in his music and interviews.

>devoid of filler
it has more filler than everything else in nin’a discography that isn’t the slip or ghosts I-IV

Give me examples of "filler" that is on Hesitation Marks.

Odds are, for most of them, you just really have let them grow on you. I'm expecting you to say "Disappointed" or "Running", and I love both of those, they just take time.
I don't know what any other tracks could be considered filler, they all have their place.

Also, The Slip doesn't have filler either, Corona is my shit.

I can sort of see where you're coming from. The songs in themselves are not filler songs, but the filler in the songs is a problem. For example Find My Way is a big offender. Objectively so too is Disappointed, but I really like that song.

I think that once you start listening deeply with headphones, you find all the sort of sounds that surrond these, the ending instrumental of Disappointed keeps forming and growing into something and layers are being played around with.

Find My Way is just beatiful from beginning to end in my opinion

>Remember when he already wrote this song and it was called “The Great Destroyer” and it was ten thousand times better even though at least seven-eighths of the song was garbage-disposal noises?
lmao this bitch trippin, the song is decent but that part easily makes it one of my favorites from Year Zero. it's a straight head fuck in the best way possible. there's a part where the song goes inside your head, thats the only way i can rly explain it, the youtube link below is at the part. anyone know what Trent did to get that effect?

youtu.be/LSRrh7suhqo?t=142

also there's a song off In Rainbows, i think it's Nude where the kick drum is your eardrum, like your ear drum kicks with the drum and u can feel your eardrum tick. idk if it's the same effect, i think it's just a really low frequency or something, but either way its cool as hell

*it's at 2:24 in The Great Destroyer, timestamp link didnt work

What's even cooler about that part, when you play it on specific audio devices it has a secret message "HORSE VECTOR" can be plainly heard, but I don't know what you need to do to hear it, but I managed to hear it accidentally couple of times.

Satellite and The Great Destroyer also don't have anything in common.

I think the hour run time is actually pretty good, if anything a little short (Eater of Dreams and Black Noise could use extensions); but I can understand why some think it drags on. It an album in a weird place where it's accessible and sort of inaccessible if yo u don't like it when Reznor and Ross decide to have a little fun.

>"There were a few moments of this album where I expected eyebrows to raise," Reznor says. "But that actually was not one of them. To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my 'happy album,' although I don't hear it as such. It's certainly not meant to make you feel like, 'Look at how great everything is!' But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We've not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It's become an irritant to me."

I think most of the tracks built so heavily around beats and the layers atop them being so subtle make some of it sound repetitive and monotone at times, but has a great point about headphones, they really do make a difference with most NIN releases, but especially on HM

This is a thing I love about Hesitation Marks.

With_Teeth was almost consistently acessible and there wasn't much of experimintation, expect for Beside You In Time.

I consider Hesitation Marks to be both most and least acessible album in the discography.

The album feels short, yet its run time is just few minutes shorter than TDS, it's an accomplishment to make an album over an hour and still make it feel short. At least in my eyes.

It's true, Hesitation Marks becomes God-Tier once you pay attention to the music with headphones, or good stereo, just pay attention, I kind of love Hesitation Marks that it's a good music to just casually listen to, but becomes fantastic once you pay attention, it has that nice balance.

I forgot how fucking cool Satellite sounded. Thanks for this thread and the excuse for a re-listen.

Full Tension 2013 fan production. three hours of fun.
youtube.com/watch?v=iVhDgtx35Po

01. Copy of A
02. 1,000,000
03. Terrible Lie
04. March of the Pigs
05. Piggy
06. All Time Low
07. Disappointed
08. Came Back Haunted
09. Find My Way
10. Satellite
11. Various Methods of Escape