Why dont local bands try anymore?

why dont local bands try anymore?

Because adventurous and genuine artists are quite rare.

Because people don't listen to their local music

What the fuck do you mean? How many local bands do you know that you can possibly make a conclusion about local bands as a whole?

closest I have to "local" artist that are known (from Van) are Grimes and Mac Demarco. Though Mac is from the Island and Grimes only made it big in Montreal.

Not bad, but not many more are known, less will be known since my city is too expensive for up and coming artists (or anyone) to live in.

because the deck is well and truly stacked against them

Because local bands that 1) actually give a shit about making a genuine artistic statement and 2) have the free time and resources to do so have always been the exception rather than the rule.

Oh and also what said.

Because why would someone pay to go into the city to watch some half assed band in a half assed venue with terrible sound when they can sit at home and watch netflix/listen to spotify/play vidya

it's not the 80's anymore, society has changed, culture has changed. People have infinite options for entertainment. Unless you have rich parents helping you every step of the way the time and money it takes to become a great band just isn't worth it anymore

Edmonton?

ego

Because back in the day, if you were an art fuck, all you and your friends had to do was hang out, smoke weed, and start a band for some fun/girls, and played till you were good.

Now... how many of you have an internet addiction? How many of you have watched more television in your first 2 decades of your life than most of your musical icons have in their entire life. The current generation has less sex, is way less extroverted, and everyone is addicted to quick stimulus. Grinding out and getting good at something is getting less and less common across the arts and the people doing it are becoming more and more vacuous. It's not just an old fuck thing to say. Look at the decrease in classics being made. Movies, Music, Theatre, Even TV was on the downward spiral till it was seen as profitable to make good shows. How long will that last? Our culture is getting hollower. Even are artists are gonna suck.

nailed it

more needs to be written about this phenomenon, there should be a word to describe it because it's not going away anytime soon

bumping for someone to give me some hope and positivity about playing in a band

I've been wondering the same thing. I live in LA so every local band is an "edgy" 4 man piece, all with shit hair, and one guy who thinks his lyrics are better than they are. They all play the same guitar Mac Demarco uses and all their songs are about girls and how they can't find love or about being real sad. My friends always want to go out and see them at The Smell or some other cool place but you see one and you've seen them all

my scene is exactly the same. before him there was some variety and uniqueness now everyone looks and sounds the same. fucking hate that goofball son of a bitch

/thread

Bumping for inspirational succesful chad local bandleader to come give us some hope

>4AD
>Roc Nation LLC
>Arbutus Records
>Royal Mountain Records
>Third Man Records
True independence.

>hasn't been to one of my shows
>doesn't get that the whole point is to be archived
>still young enough to think of touring as anything but a living nightmare

When everyone in the audience knows who they're aping by the 1st chords it can be discouraging

Too many bands are doing everything online (bandcamp etc) and not getting out there. Plenty still are, but nowhere near enough. Frankly not enough people are getting out to listen to them either. I was at a local show a few months back in an ex-church and excluding friends of the band there were perhaps five other people there.

You need to go out more.