The Neon Demon
Krisha
Bad Moms
Nocturnal Animals
Midnight Special
Joshy
reverseshot.org/features/2298/offenses_of_2016

>Hell or High Water
Finally someone else agrees with me that this film was so very unimaginative, safe and boring. I don't even hate it. It's just so forgettable film. And I TRIED TO LIKE IT, I watched it thrice because I loved Perfect Sense and I love NCFOM so I thought this is perfect match but no.

>Midnight Special
This one too. So lowkey Spielberg.

Yeah, you're right about Hell or Hight Water, is one of the most unimaginative films of the last year.

It was very safe and had a simple premise
But it was carried out brilliantly. The characters were believable, likeable while still being flawed, fleshed out and well-acted
The direction and cinematography was tight as fuck without being over-bearing

Honestly, I'm surprised it was so-well received due to the casual racist jokes and lack of any major female characters. But I think the only people who saw it are people who aren't constantly offended

It's kind of like Bone Tomahawk; it's just really well executed and stands out for updating the genre without putting a quirk or gimmick on top

>Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World

Isn't it a documentary?

I disliked BT too.
>The characters were believable, likeable while still being flawed
I felt that they were caricatures of tropes. Like the "I'm a lawyer doing illegal things because I believe in the poor fight" I just couldn't take it fucking seriously.

Directing was, at parts, interesting and distinct. The beginning until they arrive to the farm is very economic/tight and creative enough to get you into the film but then it just becomes autopilot and doesn't try anything as interesting after it.

The stories they tell of the areas are just so glib. Of course the bar keeper is a meme about the place, of course they run into a wilderness on fire with ranchers on it commenting on socio-political facts of life.

Documentaries are also films

>I'm surprised it was so-well received due to the casual racist jokes and lack of any major female characters.
That's because no one actually gives a shit about that. Those issues are always brought up by a very small yet vocal minority and the media puts them on blast.

>neon demon

D E S E R V E D

I couldn't watch Lo and Behold more than 30 minutes and this is coming from a guy who would give Into The Volcano 8/10.

Its just so much silly pseudoscience and intellectualism, so much depression and negativity.

Its like the 90 minute version of those threads where people type stuff like "humanity was great until smartphones, then Gen Z became shit and Millennials invented SJW". Its also not even coherent. Honestly, usually Herzog is a bit incoherent but in a way that opens up your consciousness so it can be amazing but this time it went too far because each subject was only allowed maybe 4 minutes.

>The Neon Demon

>Deadpool
>Hell or High Water
>Midnight Special

Agreed so hard. Deadpool was pure dogshit and the other two really let me down, especially Midnight Special which I expected to love since Take Shelter is one of my favourite films

>If Deadpool, the cinematic equivalent of a seventh-grade dead-baby-joke contest, did one thing right, it’s punctually appearing at the appointed time in the nostalgia cycle when such attitudes can again seem novel. It’s a superhero movie that makes a show of mocking the tropes of superhero movies, this purportedly operating as a cure for “superhero fatigue,” though I find an even better remedy for this condition is not watching superhero movies at all.
>The action set-pieces are all unmemorable trash, which is par for the course for Marvel product outside of the Captain America films, while the distinguishing element here is the ribald humor, including hedged-bet “offensive” bits of business with Deadpool’s blind, black roommate and gags about getting pegged in the ass and masturbating with an infant-sized hand.
BTFO

>The characters were believable
You know, I don't know if I agree. They felt very written. In the sense that they were their purely to service the plot and nothing more. When I watch that film I don't get the sense that these characters have longevity. I never got the sense that they would for instance, go to the supermarket. They exist in the world to tell this story. They're fairly one dimensional in that sense.

The opening shot of the graffiti let me know straight away that the film was going to be devoid of any kind of subtlety or nuance

>Deadpool
>Jackie
>Hell or High Water
>The Neon Demon
>Bad Moms
>Joshy
As much as I disliked these films, this list feels very clickbaity. I suppose I can't begrudge them that.

How the fuck is Jason Bourne not on a worst list? I love the other movies and couldn't make it 30 minutes without shutting it off.

Nah, isn't clickbait, they are one of the best film blogs/publications afther Film Comment & Slant Magazine.

Alright, I'll take your word for it, I've not come across them before.

>details of the now-notorious rape that Parker and his college roommate (and Birth of a Nation coscreenwriter) were charged and acquitted of in 1999 re-emerged

lol @ these weasel words, which amount to "that rape they definitely committed and got away with" without actually saying anything libelous

>one of the best film blogs/publications
So still shit then?

THIS

I think it definitely came at the right time but also people have wanted a serious R Rated flashy superhero movie forever also I think they have wanted a comedy+capeshit forever.

Its why the "Abridged" series of internet videos is so popular, its people saying hilarious shit as they do violence that turns a lot of people on right now. They never liked Sherlock Holmes until they gave him some violence and cute quips and slogans.

At the end of the day the movie will age really poorly and so will the humor which doesn't have classic appeal beyond the shock value.

I agree with The Neon Demon.

Yeah, personally I think the average poster on Sup Forums is better than any magazine because we are at least realer than real and they have to worry about subscribers, who needs them.

>no disney films
>only one capeshit (that happens to be far superior to the typical genre-output, and obviously not disney)
>easy targets like bad moms, the neon demon and nocturnal animals

yeah, this list is trash

The fuck is Reverse Shot and why should I care about their list?

>only one capeshit (that happens to be far superior to the typical genre-output)
stfu

I didn't like Deadpool either but it was a serviceable film

calling it anything other than mediocre is just being petty

The Neon Demon
>relentlessly reductive white man’s take on the nature of female friendship
Nocturnal Animals
>Strangely, though, these victims of gender ideology are both heterosexual white men
Joshy
>In a year in which Richard Linklater managed to make the rowdy, sexist romping of a group of swaggering, mostly white, hetero jock assholes

say it with me

FUCKING
WHITE
MALES

this
none of these "edgy" lists dare mess with the mouse

>Deadpool
>The Neon Demon
>Bad Moms
Neither of those are fantastic, but 2 are enjoyable and fun, the other is just and artsy mess, but there are movies WAY worse than those. ie: BvS, Apocalypse or the movie where Kevin Spacey is a cat.

they stopped regularly reviewing blockbusters maybe 7 years ago. it's that kind of website.

Alice is getting a Razzie. Apart from that, at worst most of the Mouse films from this year were mediocre but seviceable still.
Deadpool, however, was way more overrated than Captain Gamecube or Dr. LSD.

It is very inaccurate to say this is their list of the "worst films of 2016." They do dislike all of these movies but the list is more intended to take down offensive stuff, stuff that doesn't deserve its positive reputation, disappointments from directors they liked in the past, etc. It's not their list of the worst movies of the year.

It is absolutely hilarious and wonderful though. Their writing is so unapologetically savage.

>Neon Demon

Fucking degenerate plebs. Fuck their mothers and i hope onions go up their ass an into their ears canal.

>don't review blockbusters
>include deadpool on the list
what did they mean by this?

I think a lot of critics avoid what is obviously trash. You don't really need to include stuff like Dirty Grandpa and Independence Day 3 on your list. When something becomes as acclaimed as Deadpool while still being as trashy as a Tyler Perry or Jason Bateman movie then it becomes more important to call it out for what it is.

You're right, but I didn't put ''11 offenses of 2016'' since the averange person that uses Sup Forums, never heard of Rever Shot in their live.

Michael Koresky, Adam Nayman, and Nick Pinkerton are three of the best writers on film. It's your loss if you don't read them but I'm guessing you're a pleb who wouldn't like the movies that RS recommends.

razzies are user-voted though
there's no editor to make sure that "undesirables" don't get in

but that's disingenuous and makes the list a contrarian meme-list
You can't make a list called "the worst films of the year", and then only look at films that people enjoyed a lot

Yeah I guess so.

Look at all the silly confusion in the thread though.

"But _________ is worse."

Read the article people, this isn't their list of the worst movies of the year. Just movies that irked them. Though I am sure there would be a lot of crossover were they to actually make that kind of list.

>but that's disingenuous and makes the list a contrarian meme-list
No it's not. It's getting the obvious out of the way and exposing shit films that are praised for reasons.

Nobody who reads RS needs to be told that Disney has made crap for decades. That's clear.

>obvious use of critical theory
>Trump reference
what a faggot

Nocturnal Animals and The Neon Demon were pretty good films in my opinion.

At least one of the critics who often writes for Reverse Shot expressed some mild affection for Dirty Grandpa on twitter.

As he should have.

It's good.

How can anyone in any way shape or form seriously review Deadpool?
Its made to be utterly disposable trash.
Are there people alive who honestly think there are viewers out there that think it's kino?
The average fan is a 10 year old boy.

9 different people wrote those blurbs

you may want to develop some literacy so that you can tell when obviously different writers are writing.

shut the fuck up capeshitter

It was nominated for best picture last night...

>Hell or High Water
>Neon Demon
>worst movies of the year
>not capeshit blockbuster bait trash like Suicide Squad, BvS, Rogue One or Fantastic Beasts

disgusting, some of you faggots ITT should kill yourselves as well

>Nobody who reads RS needs to be told that Disney has made crap for decades. That's clear.
So it's a pretentious list made to stroke the egos of its fragile readerbase?
If the list is only for its readerbase, who will already agree with their opinions anyway, why should anyone else give a shit?

>America

I realized my mistake moments after hitting post. Anyway the reviewers of Neon Demon, Nocturnal Animals and Joshy sound like insufferable human beings

>Hell or High Water
>Neon Demon
>worst

Because it's hilarious.

You should know that people with an actual interest in film spend a lot of time laughing at plebs like you.

also, if you had actually read the article you would realize that they didn't call it their "worst films of the year" list you illiterate fuck

why are plebs so dumb?

>ichael Koresky, Adam Nayman, and Nick Pinkerton are three of the best writers on film
What, because they write the opinions you already have in a monthly magazine for you to buy?
Because they write shit like ?

Fuck off and shill somewhere else

No, it's a website with specific audience you plebeian retard.
>who will already agree with their opinions anyway
Except not within the films they actually review, but within the films they DON'T review.

Fucking daft cunt. Is this your first time seeing non metacritic website?

>hollywood foreign press association
>america

what did they mean by this

Holy fuck, how insufferable.

>plebs like you.
Because I call capeshit out on being shit, I'm a pleb? But because you guys pretend the genre doesn't exist (outside of Deadpool, which is """"coincidentally"""" not Disney), you guys are some kind of kino-masters? Fuck you, you sound like an edgy 15 yr old idiot

Your magazine is written by unradical idiots who scam pseudo-cinephiles like yourself by pretending to be indie

seriously, are plebs literal retards?

again, the blurbs on that article are written by 9 different people.

how can you be this stupid?

also no, it's because they write with intelligence and seriousness when they discuss movies. I don't always agree with them but they make their cases persuasively and illuminatingly. I also love Armond White as a critic because he is an incredibly intelligent writer, despite hardly ever agreeing with his opinions.

Let me guess, the only "film criticism" you enjoy comes in the form of youtube reviews, right?

>in a monthly magazine for you to buy?
Their reviews are published for free on the website

>Hell or High Water
>Midnight Special
>only one capeshit movie
>no notoriously awful movies like Assassin's Creed
What a load of edgy bullshit.
>So lowkey Spielberg.
But Midnight's Special's biggest influence was John Carpenter's film Starman.

>Your magazine is written by unradical idiots who scam pseudo-cinephiles like yourself by pretending to be indie

literally what does this mean

>the blurbs on that article are written by 9 different people.
So? Do you get how magazines work? The editor has to sign off on them
Thus the editor condones their opinions
Thus you shouldn't be defending this trash

for. the. last. time.

this is not their "worst movies of the year" list.

are you guys all illiterate?

1. Deadpool is shit.
2. That's all there is to it.
3. You are a fucking pleb.

>Thus the editor condones their opinions
Please tell me you're joking.

Nice try at changing the argument you dumb fuck.

Do you even know how to differentiate between the quality of WRITING and the opinion of an article?

Do you ever read anything but the posts on this website?

I recommend you get a library card.

>this is not their "worst movies of the year" list
>Reverse Shot's worst films of 2016

What did he mean by this?

This is pretty goddamn pretentious.
Yeh some of those movies are shit, but this guy reeks of needing to feel superior.
Not everything needs to be groundbreaking art house, just because a movie is formulaic doesn't mean its shit.

>They're "pseudo-cinephiles" because they don't tell their selective userbase that the stuff they dismiss out of the box is, coincidentally, bottom of the barrel trash.

haha so fucking mad they don't review Battle: LA and other kind of guaranteed trash

>OP in charge of getting things right
He will always be a faggot

good call

the OP is the one who determines what Reverse Shot is saying

have you even read the article? can you even muster the patience to read a few posts in this thread discussing this very notion?

the level of stupidity in here is so delightful

I saw OP's post and read the first few replies. I haven't read the article yet.

Why would I read the article and give these dumbfucks the click?
When they publish shit like then I don't want to support it

I'm also intelligent enough to form my own opinions without having to check that my favourite reviewer agrees with me

Perfect encapsulation of the average pleb moron on this board.

"What's that? Do I see a headline? I better immediately start having an opinion about the article without reading it because my adhd won't settle down and I can't spend 10 minutes reading something."

>reading their best of 2016

they literally had the gall to put malick's latest turd on there

like i can't even haha enough

You forgot:

Hell or High Water
>As in Sicario, the use of non-white characters as collateral damage to the action is dully mechanical, and suggests that Sheridan knows exactly what he’s doing. Not a compliment, by the way.

Knight of Cups is one of the best films of the past 17 years.

Too bad your low IQ can't appreciate poetry.

Deadpool was far better than all the other capeshit movies that this board wanks over because "muh kino"

Only someone with pure, unadulterated autism would watch a superhero movie that isn't classed as a comedy

Knight of Cups is on every list from any serious publication.

I don't really like it either but just chill bro. The list is great outside of that and the lack of Manchester-by-the-SEa

Hahahaha
Holy fuck
I knew they were pretentious shits but hearing that just confirms it
The plot thickens!

>reminder: there are people in this thread, right now, that will defend this site

I read the article and it's even worse than I imagined. What pointed out is only the tip of the iceberg. Go fuck yourself, you pretentious faggot.

You are such a pleb it's amazing.

I would bet money you have seen/heard of almost nothing on their best-of.

>You should know that people with an actual interest in film spend a lot of time laughing at plebs like you.

I bet a lot of girls would spend a lot of time laughing at you if you came out of your room

What kind of shitty rag are you used to reading where the editor exercises dictatorial control over every opinion of his writers?

i seriously need to leave this board

immature film school not-even-reject retards like yourself pervade

>hahahaha holy fuck
yikes the 'bryo is out of the lesbianbigay thread!

>when your shill thread backfires because you're outed as self-hating cucks that focus on identity politics instead of a film's quality

I love how Sup Forums bullshit always coincides with terrible taste.

Plebs are so dumb.

Terrence Malick has little to do with film-schoolisms.

The VVitch and Green Room on the other hand, pure film school cinema and awful trash.

My gf is currently beside me chortling at what a gigantic pleb you are

you guys are so embarrassing. it's hilarious.

>reading clickbait
>not skimming the comments and replies for that "Let me save you a click" guy

stay plebeian faggot

Green Room is such trash

how on earth do plebs love that so much

I love how pretentious film-school bullshit always coincides with tumblr tier identity politics. It makes it very easy to completely dismiss you tryhards.

Knight of Cups has been acclaimed by the people who matter: Brody, White, Nayman, Pinkerton.

>My gf is currently beside me chortling at what a gigantic pleb you are
woah dude! you have a girlfriend? wow, you're so alpha and amazing, we all cower down to your clear awesomeness
most of us can't even imagine touching a girl

>ctrl+f
>pleb
>1 of 15

Delete this board.