What are some cool science fiction shows?

what are some cool science fiction shows?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tlSgxLE5ydk
youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cosmos.

>Cosmos
not really what I had in mind

red dwarf
blake's 7
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

youtube.com/watch?v=tlSgxLE5ydk

Star Track

Planetes
Firefly
The Expanse

Black Mirror.
Seriously, watch it if you haven't.
Start with S01E03.

stuff that wont be mentioned ITT

space sci fi
Ascension - (3 part mini series about a multi generational ship launched in the 60's)

Defying Gravity - one of the few series to concentrate on character with sci fi as the background

Space: above and beyond - pure classic, i would say you cant be a sci-fi fan without having seen this

Lexx - very much an acquired taste, but a totally unique series

science sci fi
Dollhouse - hugely underrated, flawed in places but imbued with very challenging themes. mostly hated because people love to hate joss whedon

Humans - by the same people that did utopia (also worth a watch) about AI consciousness ... way way better than west world

Seconding The Expanse. It's from good source material and it's been well adapted.

Other thoughts:
UFO- it's the inspiration for the X-COM games, it's campy 60's in the best way possible, and it's Gerry Andersen! Only part of it's in space and it's not a particularly realistic portrayal of... any science whatsoever. Don't let that stop you, it's great.

Battlestar Galactica (reboot) - it's breddy gud, trust me. The last season is weak, as is the ending, but it's highly binge-able and overall good.

Babylon 5 - It pioneered long story arcs in SF television and it stands up as good to this day. Effects, sets, and costumes are dated and not in quite a good way. We aren't far enough from the 90's to be nostalgic about how the future was envisioned then, but the show stands up despite those flaws.

Raumpatrouille Orion
Sapphire and Steel?
Quantum Leap
Blake's 7, but screw season 4
UFO (youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY)
Space Battleship Yamato, go for sub instead of dub
Captain Harlock, idem
Galaxy Express 999
Space 1999, mostly for the set design

Farscape

Farscape is the best, it's like a more mature, better written version of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I've never seen friendship and love develp so realistically in a tv show.

Also props for greatest sci-fi intro in history.

Thirding. It's a good adaption. I think it has great pacing for something set out in space.

Battlestar Galactica, also Caprica, though Caprica wasn't very good. Also Blood and Chrome (Thanks Sy-Fy for not picking this up...)
Stargate SG-1 / Atlantis / Universe
Farscape / Peacekeeper Wars
LOST (more Drama, but technically Sci-Fi).
The Expanse
The X-Files
Westworld
Quantum Leap
Dark Matter (pretty mediocre, but it's sci-fi and it's set in space, some cool set designs too).
Babylon 5
Ascension was alright, shame it didn't get picked up to series as it could have been an interesting show.

I agree with Space: Above and Beyond, though it has aged pretty badly overall.

Lexx is great if you avoid the later season abortions, but the first 2 seasons are great.

Dollhouse was ok, nothing that special though honestly, it had a really rough start and it took a while to get decent, but it never became anything excellent sadly.

Never seen Humans though, is it really worth watching? Ads I've seen for it have turned me off from it. What shows would you compare it to?

I remember watching Space 1999 as a child on Saturdays when my mum was out doing errands (We had a very strict set of telly rules as children). I seem to have combined UFO in with that. Had no idea it was it's own thing.

well thats alot of scifi

>Never seen Humans though, is it really worth watching?
its similar in feels to Ex machina only on a much wider more society level base (AI's are causing work layoffs etc) its top notch imho .. watch the pilot, if you dont like that you wont like the rest

Oh, as a recoomendation, I do have a show. Doesn't look like it's been mentioned yet.

Almost Human. Karl Urban and Mr. Robot as a detective team in the future. It's pretty good. Some of the future crimes are cool.

agreed, no series, sci-fi or otherwise, has better character relationships/interactions

nothing else like it

GAWD DAMB YOU user!! Id almost forgotten the travesty that was the shows cancellation very very good series

Red Dwarf is ass.

It was incredibly good. Taken from us too soon, user. Too soon.

>J.J. Abrams
dropped

>aired out of order
>timeslot shuffled around

Fuck FOX man, if they could they'd air a show's season finale as the the season premiere.

Didn't even know about Abrams, which I would say shows he had little to no influence to fuck it. And the order shuffle did seem to knacker any interest in it as well.

I remember seeing a lot of people say it was just a 'cop show with sci-fi bolted on', which seems like a stupid complaint, but maybe it was in a time slot that was cop-show heavy. As a Brit, I don't know the telly landscape of it's release.

Abrams was probably just a producer and had little to no involvement with the show, just like how everyone attributes LOST to JJ when he had little if any involvement outside of the pilot.

But JJ is a big name, so anytime he's involved even hardly at all with a production they plaster his name all over everything, Ridley Scott as well.